Knight

Jul 26, 2020
Italy
In her role leading Xbox's hardware development and relationships with publishers, Bond splits herself between shoring up its traditional gaming business and reaching into untapped areas. She's hinted at new Xbox hardware—Spencer has repeatedly professed his interest in a potential handheld device—while the company has also begun to release Xbox's exclusive games on competing consoles and promoting Netflix-esque subscriptions that don't need a console at all.

In theory, buying Activision, with its popular titles across Xbox, PlayStation, PCs and phones, helps Microsoft on all these fronts. But if Bond is going to pull off this transformation, she's going to have to navigate her division through some pain first. Microsoft has already cut more than 2,650 games jobs this year, with a quarter of the cuts announced in mid-September. These are part of industrywide job losses totaling 11,500. Its gaming unit is operating under a challenging set of revenue and profit goals, according to people familiar with Xbox's business, who declined to be named while discussing private financial matters.

It's part of a larger article delving into Sarah Bond's role, career and both present and upcoming challenges as Xbox' president

Then the Microsoft team heard that the CMA had rejected the deal. In its explanation, the agency wrote that it was worried the company would leverage Activision assets such as Call of Duty to dominate the nascent cloud gaming market. It went on to say it wasn't satisfied with Microsoft's plans to ensure that Activision's games would remain widely available on competing gaming platforms. Several staffers broke down in tears.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ft-s-next-game-console?srnd=homepage-americas

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising. When you spend the kind of money the Xbox division spent these last 7 years, the bean counters in corporate are gonna want to see returns sooner rather than later.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Still will always be kind of odd to me that regulators couldn't see that trying to make CoD exclusive doesn't make sense, especially given how Minecraft has operated the past 10 years.

The whole CMA/DoJ/FTC perspective just seemed like it was based on wrong information or on some sort of supposition that Xbox had anything approaching equal standing with Sony in console markets.

Xbox going 3rd party has always been the most optimal solution if they can still figure out some solution to selling consoles that offer an affordable way to use GamePass.

I still think an Xbox that's a Windows machine or reference device for one is where they'll end up someday.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah no shit. Their install base is going to shrink even further this gen compared to previous gen. It makes sense to see what they are doing. I think with the multiplat approach and the big IP they have they will be fine

Still will always be kind of odd to me that regulators couldn't see that trying to make CoD exclusive doesn't make sense, especially given how Minecraft has operated the past 10 years.

The whole CMA/DoJ/FTC perspective just seemed like it was based on wrong information or on some sort of supposition that Xbox had anything approaching equal standing with Sony in console markets.

They were operating under the assumption that it would be made exclusive similar to what was done with Bethesda. It wasn't unreasonable to expect that.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I mean they're a business so of course they need to make money after spending so much.

Phil had a decade to put Xbox in a position to make money. At some point you have to stop relying on other divisions.

Also framing of this thread is kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, like everyone else here was saying.

Sure you're gonna get Activision, but there's no way Xbox is going to be allowed to be hands off anymore when that much money is in play.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
They were operating under the assumption that it would be made exclusive similar to what was done with Bethesda. It wasn't unreasonable to expect that.
I get that part of it, but Bethesda's IPs are so much smaller; the entirety of Zenimax is probably worth 50% of just CoD.

I think the plan was always going to end up being Xbox going 3rd party; there wasn't really any eventuality in my mind where somehow Xbox gets 50% of high end consoles (however you define that) given Sony's SP games are so dominant.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I find it really difficult to believe that Xbox has an appetite for big R&D budgets or to take any kind of loss on their future hardware, which I feel like will put them in a poor price per performance standing.

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019
They broke down in tears because of the billable hours they knew they'd have to pay their lawyers for the regulation battle lmao

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It's interesting that, without Activision, they might have had an interesting portfolio of exclusives in a time where Sony is struggling a bit on the first party side. Instead they have to make everything multi platform just to survive. It will probably be more profitable long term but it's interesting

Aug 29, 2024
i know the crying bit is just meant to make these corporate gargoyles appear 45% human but i'm just imagining an aaron sorkin like emotional breakdown with music swelling

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
That they had to sell the streaming rights for every Activision game to someone, namely Ubisoft, surely did hurt.

Of course spending about $70bln in an "short time" will put you in the focus of the corporation HQ.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Quite the thread editorialization from a good profile piece on Sarah Bond lol. Even bolding the part about staffers crying due to the CMA decision unrelated to the thread title and without commentary. C'mon.

Dina Bass wrote a good article with a lot of interesting information across Bond herself, racism and sexism she has faced vs an exec like Phil Spencer, Spencer himself, Microsoft's board, the ABK deal, talks about the mobile store stuff, a handheld Xbox, etc.

On topic: yeah it's been known they have challenging financial targets to hit. We have seen their revenues drop sans ABK. Microsoft typically targets like 20%+ in profit margins and surely Xbox has not been hitting that for a long time as we see from the pivot to multiplatform releases.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
People online really convinced themselves that Microsoft leadership was going to drop $70 billion just to win some list wars.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD

Xbox going 3rd party has always been the most optimal solution if they can still figure out some solution to selling consoles that offer an affordable way to use GamePass.

I still think an Xbox that's a Windows machine or reference device for one is where they'll end up someday.

I've wondered for a while now like, what is the "point" of Xbox as a concept?

It sure seems like MS could make the same kinds of deals and acquisitions and be a giant publisher with literally a ridiculous number of developers and IPs under their umbrella without being chained to needing to maintain this line of physical consoles tied to an increasingly irrelevant legacy.

And as a third-party publisher, their games would readily continue to sell on say, Playstation, whatever the Switch 2 looks like, and their own cloud, mobile, etc., things.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"Its gaming unit is operating under a challenging set of revenue and profit goals, according to people familiar with Xbox's business, who declined to be named while discussing private financial matters."

Yeah, its obvious to anyone paying attention.

Just margins on consoles alone it must be ....rough.....

I find it really difficult to believe that Xbox has an appetite for big R&D budgets or to take any kind of loss on their future hardware, which I feel like will put them in a poor price per performance standing.

Yeah, whatever they do decide for a next gen Xbox is gonna be extremely interesting.

Draughn

Oct 29, 2017
Redmond, WA
Can we get another "update for fans" blaming the market for the way they do business? Or perhaps double down on the contractor workforce. They've got this.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that, without Activision, they might have had an interesting portfolio of exclusives in a time where Sony is struggling a bit on the first party side. Instead they have to make everything multi platform just to survive. It will probably be more profitable long term but it's interesting
Well...Bethesda games were the first to go from exclusive to multi platform so....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Damn...I forgot about Sea of Thieves.... I wont edit my post, lol.

I might be wrong, but reading it seems like preparing the ground for Bond to take over

Maybe I'm reading it wrong
This would be quite the twist.

And I'm here for it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
People online really convinced themselves that Microsoft leadership was going to drop $70 billion just to win some list wars.
I lost count the times during the acquisition battle that people said Xbox now have unlimited access to the "war chest." As if Microsoft corporate would allow unlimited spending by Xbox, a division showing stalled, if not negative, growth for years.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bond needs all the luck she can get in her role. You can't help but feel she was set up to fail. We'll see if she survives the inevitable xcloud reckoning

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They broke down in tears because CMA had concerns? Bro what
Staffers probably worked long hours for months pulling together everything they thought they needed to make the deal go through, and then were told that all they had worked on was killed. It wasn't just "we have concerns, we would like to know more." It was "no, this deal isn't happening." Disappointment + exhaustion = emotional response.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
I thought the Series consoles were an amazing offering, and they still lost significant ground. I cannot see them wanting to really invest in another hardware generation. Hope I am wrong
Except they forgot the most important part, games. The fact that the series consoles didn't launch with anything to show off the console was mind boggling. First time I ever seen it for a console launch. Then multiple droughts throughout the 4 yrs…

UAZ-469

Dec 12, 2023

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The 70 billion dollars spent to buy Activision isn't something Microsoft expects to "earn back". That's not how investments work.
A better way to put it is, the MS games division as a whole was what got the 70 billion dollar investment, because they've been declining for a long while. The games division needs to prove that they were good to invest in, because MS could have invested all that into myriad other things that might have brought better returns, like AI or whatever.

The games division got a huge supplement to their revenue by joining with Activision, but if after that they keep going down year over year, they're going to be in trouble. The big thing Activision buys them is more income the division can use to dig themselves out of their hole, and be on the path to growth again.

they'd make much more money if they played the long game and invested in their platform instead of going third party.
Not really. There's no world where Call of Duty is going to be profitable if you cut off half of its existing audience, and then put the series on a service that's going to mean a lot of the remaining people won't have to buy it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't difficult circumstances. It's the realities of running the Microsoft Gaming Division with massive increases in overhead costs and having to continue growing when Gamepass and console sales have stagnated.