vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...microsoft-blindsided-its-own-playstation-team

(Bloomberg) -- When Sony Corp. unveiled a cloud gaming pact with archrival Microsoft Corp., it surprised the industry. Perhaps no one was more shocked than employees of Sony's PlayStation division, who have spent almost two decades fighting the U.S. software giant in the $38 billion video game console market.

Last week, the companies announced a strategic partnership to co-develop game streaming technology and host some of PlayStation's online services on the Redmond-based company's Azure cloud platform. It comes after PlayStation spent seven years developing its own cloud gaming offering, with limited success.

Negotiations with Microsoft began last year and were handled directly by Sony's senior management in Tokyo, largely without the involvement of the PlayStation unit, according to people familiar with the matter. Staff at the gaming division were caught off-guard by the news. Managers had to calm workers and assure them that plans for the company's next-generation console weren't affected, said the people, asking not to be identified discussing private matters.

The company's other online game service and main cash cow, PlayStation Network, enables multiplayer matches of games running on PlayStation 4 consoles. For now that is still hosted by the other giant of cloud computing: Amazon Web Services. Sony and Amazon held talks last year for a deeper collaboration on cloud gaming, but couldn't agree on commercial terms, according to a person familiar with the matter. That led to Sony's discussions with Microsoft, the person said. Amazon is currently developing its own cloud gaming service, the Information reported last year.

Much more at the link.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not that strange. Sometimes people forget Sony isn't just SIE and something like this doesn't mean that suddenly the Xbox and Playstation branches are buddies.

I wonder why PS staff was upset, the Azure team isn't the Xbox team
Because they got somehow involved partially and had no input into it. Just see how people reacted like PS-Xbox were close now, while for all we know the PS staff wants to distance themselves from the competition.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Because basically any work that they might had done that isn't related to Azure - basically have to be thrown out of the window and restarted?

These kind of high-level agreements come fast and loose. Rank and file employees are still being trained with their in-house tools, documentation, etc. If they go ahead with Azure, that means every aspect of their ways of working has to be changed.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's about that.

Remember, Sony acquired Dave Perry's company to do cloud stuff. Now they found it they went with another solution. They can be confident that Sony will keep them long term.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's very clearly a deal above PS and Xbox, so not too surprising most at the company didn't know, same is probably true for Xbox side.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That's pretty interesting that the PlayStation division seemingly wasn't really involved with the decision.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
krabs_rag3do.jpg

Playstation division after they learned they were conspiring with the enemy

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even get what the big deal is supposed to be. Sony's a big account. Amazon lost em and ms got em. The end?

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because basically any work that they might had done that isn't related to Azure - basically have to be thrown out of the window and restarted?

These kind of high-level agreements come fast and loose. Rank and file employees are still being trained with their in-house tools, documentation, etc. If they go ahead with Azure, that means every aspect of their ways of working has to be changed.
that's the only reason I can think of.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017

That's what it sounds like to me

Staff at the gaming division were caught off-guard by the news. Managers had to calm workers and assure them that plans for the company's next-generation console weren't affected

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
The article says it may be a loss for Sony in the long term since they have to pay for Azure access, but isn't it the same for Xbox? I doubt Xbox would be allowed to get the Azure space for free or at a significant discount.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
"Negotiations with Microsoft began last year and were handled directly by Sony's senior management in Tokyo, largely without the involvement of the PlayStation unit, "

I'm curious, does this mean it's above Kodera and Jim Ryan? it's kinda hard to believe that they would left Playstation division out of this decision entirely.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps no one was more shocked than employees of Sony's PlayStation division
Does that include higher ups at PS? or just low rank employee? I find it hard to believe people like Jim Ryan or Kodera didn't have any clue about this.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
lol, this is amazing.

It's good to hear more about how all this went down tho.

So they went to Amazon first, that's interesting. MS had to offer a better deal then.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

This makes too much sense.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
if Xbox got preferential treatment that would indeed be illegal
How do you mean? It's bad for business, perhaps. But it's not illegal. Maybe if they're actively trying to undercut the market and detroy competition sure, but not including a bunch of fees and jazz on internal tech within the company is certainly allowed.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
There was probably layoffs or divison changes now that Sony don't have to manage the infrastructure themselves.

It does not change much, they will only leave Amazon and go to Microsoft. The problem in this case is that the servers from both companies function quite differently. If they really want to move PSN and PS Now to Azure, it will take months (if not years) of work.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly what it is.
It is, basically, but if you're a rank-and-file PlayStation Division employee and are finding this out just now, out of the blue, then yes, it's going to come as a huge shock and there will be a lot of questions that the higher-ups will need to answer. PlayStation has been working on their own streaming services and solutions, and to find out that Sony HQ basically partnered with Microsoft HQ to host Sony network services in a cloud owned by Microsoft (a major console gaming competitor) is a huge WTF.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
"Negotiations with Microsoft began last year and were handled directly by Sony's senior management in Tokyo, largely without the involvement of the PlayStation unit, "

I'm curious, does this mean it's above Kodera and Jim Ryan? it's kinda hard to believe that they would left Playstation division out of this decision entirely.
Kodera is part of the senior management team. Jim Ryan might be too after his promotion, but not 100% sure.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
There was probably layoffs or divison changes now that Sony don't have to manage the infrastructure themselves.
Sony still have to supply all the hardware (customs PS3 and PS4) as well as manage PS Now as they have did before, no? they're just changing the infrastructure they're using. I guess MS will provide their tools that they have been developing for their clients for Sony but will that make the work of a lot of the employee obsolete?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You would have to leave it up to Sony's penny pinching exects to undercut the division making it the most money without even their consent...literally behind their backs in Japan. Absolute scum. I hope SCEI stays safe

Someone better rake the new CEO through the coals for this one

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: People forgot Sony bought Gaikai to create their own cloud streaming service and have been building it up for many years now.

Of course if they were unaware of these goings on they would freak out when the news broke and start thinking if they were going to be losing their jobs because they'd be becoming a redundancy.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

These kind of announcements will always prompt many kind of reactions from workers.

"Does that mean my job is at risk now!?" - If you're someone who works on PSNow.
"What does this mean for the mid-to-long term plan that was agreed" - Uncertainty if the job scope and responsibility has changed; needing to work with new people, etc etc.
"Why didn't management inform about us about this earlier!?" - Frustration that you were not kept in the loop about these developments.
"What are the deeper implications of this!?" - Uncertainty whether or not this has any deeper collaboration impact/etc etc. Stuff that isn't revealed publicly.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure most of the PlayStation hardware and software teams are fine, but I'd probably be sweating if I was part of the PS Now/ex-Gaikai team.