Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Link
Isn't this kind of a bad idea? Or does it not matter because the industry difference.

"Mandiant, which has a market capitalization of about $3.6 billion, focuses on cyber-incident response and cybersecurity testing.

A deal to buy Mandiant would help Microsoft beef up its products that protect its clients from cybersecurity threats. The software giant bought two smaller cybersecurity companies in 2021 and said it would spend $20 billion on cybersecurity over the next five years."

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft, mothership, not just the gaming division, acquires many companies per year. Same with Apple, Facebook, etc.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Smart move to aquire a cybersecurity firm but Mandiant is personally an odd choice. May be the largest they could aquire instead of partnering.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what this has to do with gaming. MS buys non-gaming companies all the time.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Not to be outdone, Sony has purchased a pack of angry pitbulls for 14 billion dollars.

Wait until you see them.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be outdone, Sony has purchased a pack of angry pitbulls for 14 billion dollars.

Wait until you see them.

One of the few times Nintendo is actually ahead of the curve:

5b79VHf.gif

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Where did he get that $15 billion number from? According to Wikipedia it was $400 million in 2021:

Mandiant - Wikipedia

yea 15bil sounds like BS. Even crowdstrike only expecting rev of 1.5 bil this year and their market cap is 40 billions. If this company generate 15bil in rev they would be worth 100bil not 3.6

Edit: ok the bloomberg article was saying 15bil is the rev from cyber security for MSFT not Mandiant. The person in the twit has some serious need of reading comprehension

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
As someone who used to work for a competitor, that's... strange...

When I think Microsoft, I don't think security incident response, but perhaps they're trying to expand their services

Last edited:

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Where did he get that $15 billion number from? According to Wikipedia it was $400 million in 2021:

Mandiant - Wikipedia

yea 15bil sounds like BS. Even crowdstrike only expecting rev of 1.5 bil this year and their market cap is 40 billions. If this company generate 15bil in rev they would be worth 100bil not 3.6

Yeah the title is inaccurate. How it's explained in the article:

Adding Mandiant would build up Microsoft's arsenal of products for protecting clients and responding to cybersecurity threats. The software giant bought two smaller cybersecurity companies last year, and said last month that it had amassed $15 billion in security software sales in 2021, up almost 45% from a year earlier.

So if I'm reading that right - it's MS that generates the $15B and they are adding to this by buying Mandiant.

Edit: the tweet referenced in the OP was deleted, but Bloomberg article is valid.

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the title is inaccurate. How it's explained in the article:

So if I'm reading that right - it's MS that generates the $15B and they are adding to this by buying Mandiant.

Edit: the tweet referenced in the OP was deleted, but Bloomberg article is valid.
Yeah I got it from Tom Warrens tweet but now it's deleted. Seems like they are worth 3.6 billion. If a mod can change that would be great.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, but not totally out of nowhere. Mandiant just sold off their products division to private equity (the company was known as FireEye and they sold the branding with it) so I can't say I'm surprised that a sale was in the works.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Hmm, I have a friend who works at Mandiant and never mentioned this. They were growing rapidly since acquiring some massive inflated government contracts in the Trump years. I guess 2021 was also good to them?