catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's been over 4 years since the release of bloodborne, sony's iconic and seminal release. in that time since, we've heard next to nothing about a potential sequel, with from software moving on to make godkiro and sony japan studio moving on to games that nobody bought and got their servers shut down after 20 minutes. what is the hold up?

here are some facts:
  1. according to metacritic, the highest ranking ps4 exclusive release of the generation is... a ps3 remaster. bloodborne is a ps4 only game
  2. the next 3 playstation exclusives - god of war, persona 5, and uncharted 4 - all either have sequels in development or had sequels released (in the case of uncharted 4, sequels which released that were actually good!) meaning that bloodborne is the only one missing from the top 5
  3. bloodborne is the 5th best playstation 4 exclusive of the decade
  4. sony have greenlit a bunch of sequels with the letter 2 in the title such as the last of us 2 and even some with questionable sales potential like knack 2 and probably something else that no-one can remember the name of
  5. bloodborne has put more effort into rebuking racists than most of this forum
  6. sony threw millions at k*jima to make a pc game about the onlyfans career of an amazon driver so they clearly have the money
  7. we still don't know what the item lurking at the bottom of the deepest chalice dungeon does and we are unlikely to progress as a species until it has been sorted
  8. there is so much potential for a non-direct sequel set in the larger bloodborne universe that focuses on a completely different city
d3Zu5Je.png

Sony needs to be smart with this one, or Paris will be picking up a different console next generation...

with the upcoming state of decay presentation sony have 1 chance to change their fate and cement the playstation 5 as a console to buy... will they grip their destiny tightly? or should a corpse... be left well alone?

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not everything needs a sequel. It's truly that simple. The idea that the success of one thing requires a sequel is stupid and is why we keep ending up with shit franchises driven into the ground.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I think they should just leave it be. Not everything needs a sequel. Release a remastered version with 60fps tho.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's coming. Maybe in 2021. Sony wouldn't leave money on the table like that.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
sony (seems) smart enough to know not to make a sequel unless it's handled by fromsoft, and fromsoft is busy with other stuff
i think we'll see a sequel when it can fit into fromsoft's schedule

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't nice things just be left alone? It came out, it was incredible. There doesn't need to be a sequel to everything

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Would it really be worth it for From Software to make another exclusive game at this point considering how well their multiplatform games perform ?
I could see Bloodborne 2 happening with another devs at the helm but that seems less than ideal and I have no idea who could handle such a project.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not everything needs a sequel. It's truly that simple. The idea that the success of one thing requires a sequel is stupid and is why we keep ending up with shit franchises driven into the ground.
Dark Souls 2 and 3 were both great and DS3 better than 1 so nah

There are almost no creative and big cosmic horror games coming out and Bloodborne is the perfect franchise to fill that niche

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
You guys are all about artistic merit, which I get, but this is capitalism. Bloodborne II would make Sony executives a fat Christmas bonus.

It's like how Joker 2 is going to happen even though it clearly shouldn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is only number 5 is 1-4 is also Bloodborne.

At one point I agreed with the people who said it doesn't need a sequel. But then I played all the Dark Souls and Sekiro and none of them scratched the same itch. I have hopes for Elden Ring, especially as I love Gurm, but yeah I'd be down for more Bloodborne.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope. Game was lightning in a bottle and I am not sure even with the full From team and Miyazaki headlining the affair that they could match whatever they accomplished with Bloodborne. I don't know who they made a deal with or what they sacrificed but it's never going to be like that again.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
From is making other games. And to be honest at this point From is at the point where its just smarter to make multiplatform titles. And if Sony wants to make it themselves well, I don't think they are dumb enough to do that without From making it.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Patience. Let it be on PS5.

Nope. Game was lightning in a bottle and I am not sure even with the full From team and Miyazaki headlining the affair that they could match whatever they accomplished with Bloodborne. I don't know who they made a deal with or what they sacrificed but it's never going to be like that again.

Why? FROM hasn't skipped a beat since Bloodborne.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
at this point i'd be happy with just a remaster for PS5 or a PC version.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Would love a remaster on PS5 and it'll probably come out when I finally get the Platinum trophy.... but I'll still do it all over again.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is a self-contained story and doesn't need a sequel, IMO.

Also:
  • Miyazaki doesn't allegedly like making sequels, and has remarked that BB2 isn't even in his hands anyway--it's in Sony's
  • Sony couldn't be bothered to get a Pro patch for it, so how much do they really care for the property?
I love it, it's probably my game of the generation, but I think a sequel is too risky and unnecessary.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably a combo of From's ownership transfer + big audience on other platforms (which the other exclusives you mention don't have, either from being fully first party or not even trying like Atlus).

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Top 3 ever for me. Do not want a sequel, the game and dlc are complete. Much happier to see Miyazaki exploring and creating new worlds, which is his real strength.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect game. Needs no sequel. It's also the best PS4 exclusive, by far. Followed by The Last Guardian.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Demon's Soul - PS3
Bloodborne - PS4
Brand New IP That Still Plays Like The Other Games - PS5

That's how it's gonna roll

Nov 2, 2017
You guys are all about artistic merit, which I get, but this is capitalism. Bloodborne II would make Sony executives a fat Christmas bonus.

It's like how Joker 2 is going to happen even though it clearly shouldn't.
I'd say it's capitalism that might prevent it from being made. Being exclusive to a Sony platform severly limit sales when a large part of From's audience is on PC. The opportunity cost of an exclusive is pretty big. Sony would need to pay a big lump of money to make up for all the lost sales, similar to how Epic works.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony wanted it it would have happened by now. Let it go. They won't even give you Demon's Souls remastered.

This is going to become the "bring back Firefly" of gaming for the next 10-15 years, isn't it?

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
I think eventually Sony will approach From and Miyazaki again for a new project. It's a partnership that already proved valuable.

Could be Bloodborne 2 or a new thing, like Deraciné.

Also there is the rumored Demon's Souls Remake from Bluepoint, maybe they waiting to see how it works out.

Would it really be worth it for From Software to make another exclusive game at this point considering how well their multiplatform games perform ?

If Sony pays for it, then yes.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'd say it's capitalism that might prevent it from being made. Being exclusive to a Sony platform severly limits sales when a large part of From's audience is on PC. The opportunity cost of an exclusive is pretty big. Sony would need to pay a big lump of money to make up for all the lost sales, similar to how Epic works.

Epic doesn't pay for the development though, just exclusivity

Nov 11, 2017
From from software never? Hopefully. Let them continue making great selling multiplat games that appear and sell well on all consoles

From sony? Idk that's up to them