• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna crush $1 billion, no sweat.

And it's the best Marvel movie ... how's that for a driveby snipet? ;)

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
All right, upon further research it does seem as though Kevin Feige and the core Marvel Studios staff was heavily involved with The Incredible Hulk. I'll include the movie in the next chart update.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not certain as to what the exact situation is now, but in 2017 it was basically what you just outlined.

At D23 in 2017, Mark Ruffalo said, "A standalone Hulk movie will never happen. Universal has the rights, and for some reason, they don't know how to play well with Marvel. And they don't want to make money."

Given that Marvel Studios did have Downey cameo in the Hulk movie and later put William Hurt in Civil War (implying that the events of the movie did happen in the MCU), I would imagine there have been discussions with Universal that have gone at least somewhat positively.

A similar situation seems to be happening over at Sony Pictures, where they're stating that their Venom movie is in Tom Holland's Spider-Man universe, which implies it is connected to the MCU. Marvel's been a little weird with their various tie-ins and studio collaborations over the last couple of years.
No. It's a Marvel Studios film distributed by Universal. The same way Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger were Marvel Studios films distributed by Paramount. The difference is that Disney bought back distribution rights from Paramount, but not from Universal.

Marvel owns the film rights to Hulk. Universal has the right of first refusal to distribute any future Hulk film.

Marvel doesn't even have the rights to Spider-Man, Sony has it 100%, yet you included Homecoming on your chart.

Oct 25, 2017
By that logic, Iron Man shouldn't be on the chart either, or Homecoming.

Incredible Hulk is a movie in the MCU.

Fans denying it is kinda funny when the Phase 1 collector set has the movie in it https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-Assembled-Incredible/dp/B0083SBMGW.
The 10 year anniversary merchandise has it as the 2nd MCU flim and they mention him destroying Harlem in the Avengers.
81FfsPy544L._UL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
It should be pointed out as this movie is super sensitive for some. When I said I didn't like it to a friend yesterday he called me a racist and spit in my face.
Peace out.

If you can't understand why your tone is rubbing people the wrong way, it probably is best for you to peace out permanently instead of saying "peace out" in every post, and still coming back to continue debating with people. Either stay and be willing to engage in an intelligent debate or just part ways with the thread. There's no need for drama.

Marvel doesn't even have the rights to Spider-Man, Sony has it 100%, yet you included Homecoming on your chart.

As I said, after further research into exactly who was involved with that Hulk movie, yes, it does look like Marvel Studios had creative control of it. I'll put it in the next chart update.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Usually if you go against the grain of popular opinion you are going to be asked why more so than if you agree. Finding this to be surprising is in fact a little naive.

You are all right. No need for drama. Again, read the reviews on imdb that have been the most helpful for millions of people and most users visiting the site to understand where I am coming from.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
You are all right. No need for drama. Again, read the reviews on imdb that have been the most helpful for millions of people and most users visiting the site to understand where I am coming from.
If we wanted to read some other people's comments on another site for another community, we would be posting int that community instead.

PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure no one would react if I just wrote "I loved the film", because it seems that only one opinion is accepted. Peace out.
My guy, literally the only reason one posts "man this shit sucks ass" in a thread that's not even about the film itself, but it's financial performance is to get a rise out of people and create a controversy where there isn't one. Thereby dominating the thread and making it about themselves. Your subsequent posts showcase this.

Maybe use your week off to like, reflect on if trolololoing is something you feel like being worth your time and the time of others.

Or don't.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Great overseas Box-Office even though it's a bit lower than usual Marvel output. It'll be interesting to see how well BP will perform in China.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can only speak for myself but before IM's first movie I thought the character was a robot. His appearance in MvC2 was the extent of my knowledge of the character. As far as I'm concerned IM was indeed a C-tier superhero. Incredible what one good movie can create.

And as for Black Panther? At least I'd heard of IM before the MCU. BP wasn't even on my radar.

Lmao dude, I know exactly what you mean. Some of my Marvel knowledge is based soley on games (mostly Zen Pinball 2 tables haha) because after the 90s I stopped reading the comics. I think that was the time when the Skrull invasion began. (I still remember how my fav. suphero The Human Torch got tricked by a female Skrull. That was shocking and he was so devastated when he found out). But yeah all the 2000s stuff like Civil War, Infinity Stones and so on went completely under my radar. So I got my minimum info from ... PINBALL TABLES lol

Same goes for Black Panther. Would´ve never ever dreamed of that he could become such a huge success. I knew he exist but never had any comics of him in my hands.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Great overseas Box-Office even though it's a bit lower than usual Marvel output. It'll be interesting to see how well BP will perform in China.

Yeah, that's the real caveat here. No China (or Japan, I think?) numbers yet. I'm sure this movie will outperform a lot of the other Marvel flicks once releases in those territories happen.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
No China (or Japan, I think?) numbers yet. I'm sure this movie will outperform a lot of the other Marvel flicks once releases in those territories happen.
I'm 90% sure that Japanese numbers won't be high, they aren't crazy about superhero movies in general. China, well, I guess the brand recognition will be enough to carry BP through the first weekend, everything else will depend on how chinese public will met the movie.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah, that's the real caveat here. No China (or Japan, I think?) numbers yet. I'm sure this movie will outperform a lot of the other Marvel flicks once releases in those territories happen.
There are only 4 MCU films above Black Panther's worldwide numbers now. It should pretty easily overtake Civil War, and probably Iron Man 3, but the two Avengers are likely out of reach. I expect it to pull in over 100 million in China and about 10 million in Japan. I expect domestic box office to be able to pull another 100 million by even the lowest estimates. It'll probably finish up with 1.2-1.3 billion, but both Avengers are at 1.4 billion and 1.5 billion. A little out of reach I think.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are only 4 MCU films above Black Panther's worldwide numbers now. It should pretty easily overtake Civil War, and probably Iron Man 3, but the two Avengers are likely out of reach. I expect it to pull in over 100 million in China and about 10 million in Japan. I expect domestic box office to be able to pull another 100 million by even the lowest estimates. It'll probably finish up with 1.2-1.3 billion, but both Avengers are at 1.4 billion and 1.5 billion. A little out of reach I think.

Outperforming the highest-grossing IM film is a pretty fitting way to indicate that Black Panther has inherited the mantle of MCU crutch.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, Avengers numbers are unlikely to happen but literally everything else is within reach. I said this in my original post when I created the thread, but the only thing BP needed at the time to get real close to 1 billion was outdoing Thor Ragnarok at the foreign box office. That's a given, IMO.

As an aside, one of the reasons I think Civil War didn't reach the 1.4 - 1.5 billion range is simply because it wasn't called "Avengers," even though it had all of those characters in the movie. That said, it is super impressive that they managed to communicate the fact that it basically was an Avengers movie through their marketing, even though it wasn't officially called that.

Oct 26, 2017
I was fairly into comics in the 90's (in Sweden) and only Hulk, Spider-Man and X-Men were a thing. F4 had been around too. First time I ever saw Iron Man was in the XO Manowar game. Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes was a complete mystery to me (Cap who? Thanos what? Blackheart who? Shuma Gorath WTF?). I didn't start even reading up on characters until Marvel vs Capcom, and Tony wasn't in that and Thor was an assist character who also missed MvC2. I also had never come into contact with Ant-Man, Guardians, Black Panther, Captain Marvel or Strange before they started making waves in the MCU. And that's with me being fairly interested. For the general public there is Batman, Superman, Spidie and maaaaybe Hulk. Americans especially wildly overestimate Cap and Wonder Woman, they were non-entities here.

In terms of mainstream knowledge, I'm pretty sure Egghead was better known than Doctor Strange.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I was fairly into comics in the 90's (in Sweden) and only Hulk, Spider-Man and X-Men were a thing. F4 had been around too. First time I ever saw Iron Man was in the XO Manowar game. Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes was a complete mystery to me (Cap who? Thanos what? Blackheart who? Shuma Gorath WTF?). I didn't start even reading up on characters until Marvel vs Capcom, and Tony wasn't in that and Thor was an assist character who also missed MvC2. I also had never come into contact with Ant-Man, Guardians, Black Panther, Captain Marvel or Strange before they started making waves in the MCU.

In terms of mainstream knowledge, I'm pretty sure Egghead was better known than Doctor Strange.

I think about this a lot. There are so many people in the world whose first exposure to these characters and their stories has been through the MCU. It must be astounding to them what Marvel's pulled off, with all these complex, interconnected plot threads over the course of so many films. And characters constantly referencing one another and just basically maintaining this really rock-solid continuity through every film.

It's kind of funny. After every Marvel movie, my girlfriend will ask, "Wait, so this was in those comics you used to read, too? And that? And that?" And I'll be like, "Yep, all from the comics. They wrote that one in 1975, that one in 1998, that one in 2002..." She's constantly surprised, heh. I love it.

IM3 made over $1.2b?

Depressing as fuck.

Iron Man 3 rode the post-Avengers excitement. That said, I love the movie. The Mandarin twist is one of the most ballsy things I've seen in the MCU (although, I wish the villain hadn't turned out to be another boring, corporate rich dude). :)

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is Black Panthers smaller total in non US markets due to it not opening yet in any major markets or the much feared "international audiences don't turn out for black films" trope that was bandied about? I'm really interested to see if that held up.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
So is Black Panthers smaller total in non US markets due to it not opening yet in any major markets or the much feared "international audiences don't turn out for black films" trope that was bandied about? I'm really interested to see if that held up.

I'd wait for its run to end (and for its release in China) before concluding that it isn't doing as well in non-US markets. I expect the final non-US figure to at least be in the ballpark of Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok. (Around 540 million)

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Black Panther's final foreign numbers will look like Thor 3 The Ragnarok and Spider-man 6 The Homecoming. That will put it above GotG2 and Dr Strange, and under Civil War. That reason it looks so unbalanced is because the film is insanely successful in America. Its over 500 million now and has beaten every MCU film except Avengers 1.

Nov 30, 2017
Hot damn.

I'm so ecstatic. Never thought this day would happen in a million years.

I want to say I hope this translates to more BP comics being sold. But at the same time I can't endorse TNC's run, he is butchering T'Challa

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Black Panther's final foreign numbers will look like Thor 3 The Ragnarok and Spider-man 6 The Homecoming. That will put it above GotG2 and Dr Strange, and under Civil War. That reason it looks so unbalanced is because the film is insanely successful in America. Its over 500 million now and has beaten every MCU film except Avengers 1.
Ahh that makes sense. Good to know. What a feel good story this films run is :)

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
People hating on IM3 has always been strange to me. It was easily the funniest Marvel film before Ragnarok (GotG came close though), it feels more like Shane Black and less like Marvel's production commitee, it has Eiffel 65. Now, I know people hate Killian as Mandarin, but I honestly don't know how would they make an Asian Mandarin without resorting to racial stereotypes.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
As an anecdote, here in Madrid the cinema was packed, not a free seat. Great movie too, I was very sceptic based on previous Marvel films and on American views on Africa as a continent, but not only it adresses that second concern, it explores the politics of aid, borders, refugee acceptance...very smartly and from a fresh perspective. Wish it would flesh it out a bit more, but it was a great film. To those who don't like Marvel, this is nothing like other Marvel films. And of course, it's great that there finally is non Euro-centric sci-fi out there.

T'Challa Shakur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In my experience growing up in the 90s we all identified Marvels main guys as Spiderman and Wolverine and DCs as Batman and Superman and these were mostly due to the cartoons they had.

And my first exposure to Iron man and War Machine and Captain America was all through Spiderman TAS.

I got into comics by reading the Weapon X comics where Wolverine fucked up errybody. I made full jump into the world with Hush but I was all DC then and having cartoons like Justicr League helped.

I didn't find out about Black Panther until 2008 when someone told me about that BET miniseries.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn about this.

1- I think the film DOES deserves the success because of the positive effect it's had on the black community.
2- I think the film DOESN'T deserve it's success based on its inherent quality as a movie.

I'm glad this movie exists. I'm happy for the people it's empowered. I think it has great themes. I just don't think it's a good movie based on my usual metrics.

Honestly I felt the same way about Wonder Woman.

That being said they are both important movies in this climate right now so I'm happy to see how successful they've been. I personally didn't find either to be anything exceptional from a movie watching perspective, but I can appreciate what they are doing. Glad they exist.