Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ch. 282

I expected a reference to the armor the guy in Berserk wears, yet the fact that it would be a DMC Devil Trigger-thing was right there in front of me with Asta getting a Devil Bringer lol. I like it a lot. I guess Asta and Yuno just swap light/dark hair colors now that their transformations have progressed further. Cool how the composition is similar to Noelle's transformation reveal.

I love that Yuno is off in the Spade Kingdom and he's still hyping up his boy in front of the enemy. I'm a big fan of both these rivals continually just having high expectations of each other.

I like that the big Liebe aura thing isn't gone. And I guess it really is a thing people just see. I was curious about that after the first post-timeskip chapter.

Loved seeing the reactions to Asta taking care of things, with Klaus' cheering being my favorite.

All these spreads, Tabata snapped on this one.

And now Son Goku Asta is off to the battlefield. With that and the next chapter being a volume ending, I wonder if we'll see Noelle head off as well.

Last edited:

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
thank god the new form was clean, i always fear that super forms end up looking bad but that looks like a devil trigger

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, Asta getting all the love is good to see after all this time. He has come a long way.

And yeah, that's straight up a Devil Trigger. DMC3 DT especially. So I'm definitely expecting form changes with the swords.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
just remembered what asta's new form reminds me of!

Dante's cut full trigger form in DMC 4

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Asta better grab a coat before heading to Spade. Not that it'd last long on him with the transformation and fighting but I just want one panel of him in winter clothing.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
kkwAkVM.jpg

Yuno punching air right now.

Also I love how Letoile joined in on the hype and screamed with Klaus at the end.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Some really good spreads this week.

Rebecca out of nowhere to remind us she is a character. Buch of main characters still MIA.

5 minutes to book it over and save nacht...

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's Finral up to, currently?
He was with the group of BB that got bullied by Dante and then roasted by Nacht, who told them to prepare during the two day break. Presumably he's still with them in the Black Bull base, with maybe (hopefully) Magna, Zora and Gordon having joined back up with them. Since Asta's heading to Spade it's possible he'll meet up with them next chapter.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
He was with the group of BB that got bullied by Dante and then roasted by Nacht, who told them to prepare during the two day break. Presumably he's still with them in the Black Bull base, with maybe (hopefully) Magna, Zora and Gordon having joined back up with them. Since Asta's heading to Spade it's possible he'll meet up with them next chapter.
probably be the fastest way to get there

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about what the cover of the next volume might be and between the Morris reveal, two ancient demons appearing, two new devils showing up, the Dark Triad getting their 100% forms and Yuno + Mereoleona + Charlotte + Jack + Asta starring in separate fights (w/ 4/5 getting new forms and Jack getting his flashback), I have no clue what the cover of this volume would even be. There's not really one person who got much more focus than everyone else so maybe it'll just be a bunch of characters, with heroes/villains on opposing sides.

If it's just one person I'd guess Morris, or he'll be on the spine and his grimoire will be the background if there's multiple characters. But maybe that'd have to wait until he does a little more.
----------------------------------------------
Magna, Zora or Mars. At least ONE of them gotta show up next week.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With the news about the current run of the anime finally ending, lately I've been thinking a lot about this adaptation, how it began and my overall feelings on it.

These days it frankly seems comical how pretty much every thing that could go wrong with the adaptation went wrong. In a time when the standards for production quality of action shonen anime went up due to more series (including Shonen Jump titles) having seasonal adaptations with better schedules than the typical long-running shonen series of the past, Shueisha had the bright idea to give Black Clover to producers who wanted it airing year-round. Because that worked for Naruto in 2002, obviously it'd work for Black Clover in 2017 no matter what (fun fact: BC anime started exactly 15 years to the day after Naruto's, on Oct. 3rd). As if that wasn't enough, the series had a very short pre-production period, leading to generally mediocre-to-bad production for many of the early episodes (then production suffered even more for a while from lack of staff). Still not enough though, because they also thought to give the lead role to a complete rookie who clearly wasn't ready, and lacked good enough voice direction to get a better performance out of him. Doesn't end there though, since the series also started airing with a soundtrack that was also generally mediocre-to-bad, either due to aforementioned rushed pre-production or just a bad composer (new tracks starting from the Elf arc make me think the former), and to this day still lacks the iconic original tracks that series of this kind have to accompany their best moments, relying as a result on the first Opening Theme as a crutch.

But the worst by far to me was the pacing. What was a strength of the manga became the biggest weakness of the anime adaptation.

13 Episodes, 10 Chapters.

13...EPISODES...10 chapters. To this day it boggles the mind. That they took a manga that would have over 100 chapters when the anime started, which wasted no time moving through its story which quickly earned it an audience to carry into more and more interesting events, and decided to extend the part where the story, world and cast are easily at their least interesting to the point of adapting 10 chapters in 13 EPISODES, instead of the 25-26 chapters we should've gotten through, is literally insane to me. Even the first chapter isn't properly adapted in 2 episodes. Rewatching the first two episodes, they stand out as much better produced than the average episode of the series, and I'm impressed that the director was able to manage even that with the terrible schedule he was given, but my god there is so much boring and unnecessary fluff when we could've just gotten a faithful adaptation of Chapter 1 in one episode and then moved on to the Magic Knight exam in the second week like the manga did (the exam doesn't happen until Episode 4 here).

Eventually the pacing picked up, the voice acting improved, the anime reached more and more interesting parts of the story and thus became something I increasingly looked forward to as time went on. But even with that, the production remained inconsistent and, despite the occasional standout episode here and there, the anime simply could not be counted on to reliably do justice to the manga, let alone enhance or elevate it. I hate how often I have felt "Tabata snapped on this panel/page/spread" only for said moment to eventually be a letdown in the anime.

I enjoy the anime way more now than I did at the start, but it's mostly due to what's inherent to the manga like the story and characters rather than anything inherent to the anime, except for the voice actor performances, which consistently do their part in bringing the manga to life and I've been happy with, Asta teething issues aside.

With other Shonen Jump action-focused manga like Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen (or Fire Force, outside Jump) getting adaptations that are well-produced to the point where any time the action reliably looks at least good every time, and pretty much every shonen IP even outside battle-focused ones getting a seasonal anime, Black Clover just sticks out more and more as this single series where for whatever reason, despite even series preceding it like My Hero Academia and Food Wars getting seasonal shows, they wanted it airing year-round with no care to having an adequate production schedule and the series just suffered for it. With how good the better-produced episodes of this hellish production look, I'd love to be able to see what director Tatsuya Yoshihara and the staff he works with would be able to do if they were given a better schedule for the series. It just seems like a very talented staff isn't able to put their talent on display as much as they should be, and as they do when they show up in other shows or in the big BC episodes, and that's a shame.

A "big announcement" will be made on March 30th after the last episode airs and whatever it is (at this point, I'd bet on original movie if I had to, for various reasons), I hope the rest of the arc gets adapted eventually and that the staff gets enough time to make their talents shine. I just wanna be able to think "The anime snapped on this" at least 3/4 of the time I think that for a corresponding manga event.
-----------------------------------------------
If you're interested in learning what happened with the BC Anime production, I recommend the following:

blog.sakugabooru.com

Black Clover 63: Tatsuya Yoshihara’s Impossible Production Dream

Long running action anime are no stranger to controversial production experiments, met with divisive reception among their fandom. The latest example is Black Clover #63: a highly experimental, rou…

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
With the news about the current run of the anime finally ending, lately I've been thinking a lot about this adaptation, how it began and my overall feelings on it.

These days it frankly seems comical how pretty much every thing that could go wrong with the adaptation went wrong. In a time when the standards for production quality of action shonen anime went up due to more series (including Shonen Jump titles) having seasonal adaptations with better schedules than the typical long-running shonen series of the past, Shueisha had the bright idea to give Black Clover to producers who wanted it airing year-round. Because that worked for Naruto in 2002, obviously it'd work for Black Clover in 2017 no matter what (fun fact: BC anime started exactly 15 years to the day after Naruto's, on Oct. 3rd). As if that wasn't enough, the series had a very short pre-production period, leading to generally mediocre-to-bad production for many of the early episodes (then production suffered even more for a while from lack of staff). Still not enough though, because they also thought to give the lead role to a complete rookie who clearly wasn't ready, and lacked good enough voice direction to get a better performance out of him. Doesn't end there though, since the series also started airing with a soundtrack that was also generally mediocre-to-bad, either due to aforementioned rushed pre-production or just a bad composer (new tracks starting from the Elf arc make me think the former), and to this day still lacks the iconic original tracks that series of this kind have to accompany their best moments, relying as a result on the first Opening Theme as a crutch.

But the worst by far to me was the pacing. What was a strength of the manga became the biggest weakness of the anime adaptation.

13 Episodes, 10 Chapters.

13...EPISODES...10 chapters. To this day it boggles the mind. That they took a manga that would have over 100 chapters when the anime started, which wasted no time moving through its story which quickly earned it an audience to carry into more and more interesting events, and decided to extend the part where the story, world and cast are easily at their least interesting to the point of adapting 10 chapters in 13 EPISODES, instead of the 25-26 chapters we should've gotten through, is literally insane to me. Even the first chapter isn't properly adapted in 2 episodes. Rewatching the first two episodes, they stand out as much better produced than the average episode of the series, and I'm impressed that the director was able to manage even that with the terrible schedule he was given, but my god there is so much boring and unnecessary fluff when we could've just gotten a faithful adaptation of Chapter 1 in one episode and then moved on to the Magic Knight exam in the second week like the manga did (the exam doesn't happen until Episode 4 here).

Eventually the pacing picked up, the voice acting improved, the anime reached more and more interesting parts of the story and thus became something I increasingly looked forward to as time went on. But even with that, the production remained inconsistent and, despite the occasional standout episode here and there, the anime simply could not be counted on to reliably do justice to the manga, let alone enhance or elevate it. I hate how often I have felt "Tabata snapped on this panel/page/spread" only for said moment to eventually be a letdown in the anime.

I enjoy the anime way more now than I did at the start, but it's mostly due to what's inherent to the manga like the story and characters rather than anything inherent to the anime, except for the voice actor performances, which consistently do their part in bringing the manga to life and I've been happy with, Asta teething issues aside.

With other Shonen Jump action-focused manga like Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen (or Fire Force, outside Jump) getting adaptations that are well-produced to the point where any time the action reliably looks at least good every time, and pretty much every shonen IP even outside battle-focused ones getting a seasonal anime, Black Clover just sticks out more and more as this single series where for whatever reason, despite even series preceding it like My Hero Academia and Food Wars getting seasonal shows, they wanted it airing year-round with no care to having an adequate production schedule and the series just suffered for it. With how good the better-produced episodes of this hellish production look, I'd love to be able to see what director Tatsuya Yoshihara and the staff he works with would be able to do if they were given a better schedule for the series. It just seems like a very talented staff isn't able to put their talent on display as much as they should be, and as they do when they show up in other shows or in the big BC episodes, and that's a shame.

A "big announcement" will be made on March 30th after the last episode airs and whatever it is (at this point, I'd bet on original movie if I had to, for various reasons), I hope the rest of the arc gets adapted eventually and that the staff gets enough time to make their talents shine. I just wanna be able to think "The anime snapped on this" at least 3/4 of the time I think that for a corresponding manga event.
-----------------------------------------------
If you're interested in learning what happened with the BC Anime production, I recommend the following:

blog.sakugabooru.com

Black Clover 63: Tatsuya Yoshihara’s Impossible Production Dream

Long running action anime are no stranger to controversial production experiments, met with divisive reception among their fandom. The latest example is Black Clover #63: a highly experimental, rou…

Good write up

I'd argue though that the year round production schedule never really worked that well. It didn't work for Naruto, it didn't work for Bleach and I don't think it really works well for One Piece either. Either art, animation, or pacing suffers from a year round schedule, and while all those 3 anime have their excellent moments (Naruto in particular still has some of the best animated fights in anime, imo) they are also bogged with issues as well (horrendous padding and pacing in one piece, massive amounts of filler in bleach/Naruto and inconsistent art/animation in all 3)

As you say, most shonen action anime are seasonal these days, and looking at the art and animation quality of the ones you mentioned, JJK, MHA, Fire Force, Demon Slate and including stuff like Attack on Titan or Mob Psycho 100 and even non action stuff like Haikyuu or Dr. Stone, it's clear that seasonal production allows the team at least a little more room to breathe and deliver a much more consistent experience overall.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good write up

I'd argue though that the year round production schedule never really worked that well. It didn't work for Naruto, it didn't work for Bleach and I don't think it really works well for One Piece either. Either art, animation, or pacing suffers from a year round schedule, and while all those 3 anime have their excellent moments (Naruto in particular still has some of the best animated fights in anime, imo) they are also bogged with issues as well (horrendous padding and pacing in one piece, massive amounts of filler in bleach/Naruto and inconsistent art/animation in all 3)

As you say, most shonen action anime are seasonal these days, and looking at the art and animation quality of the ones you mentioned, JJK, MHA, Fire Force, Demon Slate and including stuff like Attack on Titan or Mob Psycho 100 and even non action stuff like Haikyuu or Dr. Stone, it's clear that seasonal production allows the team at least a little more room to breathe and deliver a much more consistent experience overall.
I completely agree lol. Even when looking at older shows where it was more prevalent, while there are exceptions like HxH 2011 and FMAB, there's usually something that goes wrong with these adaptations that go so long. Like even with the Wano arc looking really good in the anime due to Toei having a really good schedule now, the pacing is still a big problem because the show can't stop.

If nothing else, I'm at least glad it's only Black Clover that's new and yet still getting this kind of adaptation, rather than more series I like getting this treatment.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's extra bad for Black Clover and Bleach which tend to have really short chapters with a lot of empty space.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Today is the 6th anniversary of the manga. (And also Licita's birthday. Intentional?)
I've really enjoyed the past year of the series a lot. Gave me Asta/Yami vs Dante which is the fight with my favorite moments of the whole series, Nacht and Liebe who I wanted to see and learn more about for years, both becoming instant favorites of mine, and a lot of other cool stuff. Neat how the year ended with Asta getting the recognition he deserves from his kingdom.

Excited to see what happens this year in the manga. Hopefully the year of Mars' return.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. I think a minority of people outside of jpn didnt like him. He won the newcomer voice acting awards in jpn.
He won an award years after his debut. Dude was not ready in 2017 and didn't sound good. There's a reason Asta has sounded much different for a while now than he did at the start. You can tell that Kajiwara got more comfortable with voice acting as the series went on, and he improved to a point where I like him a lot, even over the ENG voice actor, so in the end I'm happy he's Asta. But he was not performing close to as well when he began imo.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The action in the latest episode is pretty stiff, and judging by the preview, Noelle's fight seemingly won't be anything special. It reminds me of when Mereoleona's fight against the elves was done dirty only for the next episode, #100, to be the best produced in the series. It's a shame not every action part can look good but if the Heart Kingdom part is being "sacrificed" for Asta/Yami vs Dante then that fight better look amazing.

This looked very good though.
EuWQ8wvXcAAJ3rg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
omg episode 145 dub is so good

When Yuno is like Asta's magic doesn't come from his grimoire, I was grinning and then Asta said the line
My magic is never giving up.

I love this arc a lot.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
65xFJa0.jpg

I was checking one of the older volumes and saw this conversation again. I remember feeling this made the likelihood of Morris working with Spade a bit higher, after the idea was suggested in this thread, but now we know that's the case and he's probably the one who informed them on William and Yami. I wonder if Morris already wanted to connect to the underworld, like Dante.

Same mark as Dante => maybe he's possessed by Lucifero too => maybe Luci was giving them the same info to have someone get him out of hell and that's why Morris was interested in World Tree magic.
(I also like the idea of Morris being forced out of Diamond and Luci going "...I actually got another guy in Spade, go there.")

Curious to learn more about him. And see those two mysterious soldiers he had with him.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ch. 283:

Seems like there are more people among the Bulls Asta regrouped with than the group that fought Dante so Magna, Zora and Gordon should finally appear soon, which is good.

Figures that Makusa would have Snow Magic. Wonder what exactly Sekke is going to do.

Fuegoleon being outside instead of joining up with Nacht and Jack who are dealing with 100% Dante + 2 Qliphoth Devils is funny. Man wants no part of that lol.

Last spread is so hype. Glad to have Noelle and co. back (Noelle shouting like she's leading this group lol, I like it). Everyone looks great, I love the cloaks. Charmy especially looks cool, never seen her that serious before a fight. Hopefully the Spirit Guardians can show they're worth a damn.

Gaja looks ready to kill somebody. I guess I'm glad Morris took Lolo cause there are already way too many people with an excuse to fight Vanica.
----------------------------
With this, the chapters that will make up Volume 28 are over. Besides Yuno going from far weaker than Base Zenon to (arguably far) stronger than 70% Devil Zenon because Bell stored up mana for 2 days, I've loved pretty much everything in this batch and I'm excited for the next set of chapters now that everyone (except Mars) is in or heading to Spade.

My guess for the cover now is Morris and the two demons.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I love that Patri and Rades are skulking in the background of this chapter, waiting to come through for the clutch save later in the arc.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Patry looks real mad too lol. Need to see him fight Zenon and avenge his soulmate.
I hope the other three elves are there too and just not drawn.

The swarm of lower-tier devils giving trouble to the nameless military members really makes me think all the gates won't be opened, if this is just wave 1.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
zU2wPA1.jpg

After this 228 page where Zora was shown with other Heart trainees, I absolutely would not have guessed it would take us over 50 post-timeskip chapters to see him again. But the reunion is finally at hand. It may bring joy, it may bring fear, but let us embrace whatever it brings. For he is coming back.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It can be really hard to tell what's going on in the manga sometimes, this week might be the prime example of it. Too many character closeups.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Gaja vs Morris wasn't anywhere near my mind as a thought, but now I'll be really disappointed if I don't see it.

Also, can't wait to see what Zora can do. And Magna too I guess...seriously though, Zora's words to the Possessed Elves about "Human Magic" is what I've been thinking about ever since the time skip. I'm really hoping that sets them up to demonstrate some new innovations that rely on smarts more than strength of mana.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My dreams for Post-timeskip Magna were:
1. Has his hair down.
2. Fights with guns he loads his flame magic in (Hitman Reborn's Xanxus-style). Like, he just has magazines he pours mana into in preparation for fights so he can do a set amout of big attacks.

1/1 so far based on his look in the popularity poll spread.

If they were kept hidden for so long, they better make it worth it with crazy shit.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
SCyb6Me.jpg

Is this just a drawing of Son Goku by Tabata? Or was it in fact a secret preview of post-timeskip Mars all along?

(Mars within the next 5, I'm sure of it)
---------------------------------
The title of episode #168 came out and is "Stirrings of the Strongest", the chapter where the captain meeting ends, after Nacht discusses his plan, and Noelle wakes up in Elysia. With two episodes still after that, it's seeming more likely the anime will end when Nacht leaves Asta, potentially on the scene with the captains and co. heading out.

Eager to hear who voices Nacht. Hoping for Mamoru Miyano.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Latest episode, #165, is uhhhh...sigh. Thank god for the two new tracks from the OST used for a flashback and Nero's entrance that were really good because man besides that this episode has just felt like the typical "let's just suck all the fucking life and energy out of this manga" episodes from this adaptation. From the end of the last episode and then this one, Vanica just doesn't come off anywhere near as strong, fun, scary and crazy as she does in the manga.

As a Noelle fan, it feels like among the four most important characters, Noelle is the one who suffers the most by far from this adaptation where they barely give enough time for the staff to attempt anything interesting visually. She's never had any of her fights extended to serve as a showcase of the best the staff can do (hell worst-case scenario, animator does something really interesting with her and then supervisor says fuck this there's no time for her to look good), and here her big fight is being sacrificed for Asta and Yami. Which is the right thing to do in this situation, I just hate that we ended up in this situation. Lowkey would rather have a motion comic.

Anyway, Noelle crashed so that Yami and Asta could soar and boy does the preview for next week look good! The Vanica fight ends next week so maybe the little bit that's left will look good, don't know cause the preview didn't show it. It doesn't show any action but the character art for the Yami vs Dante part of the episode is very strong, done by one of the two best animation directors on the staff, which is usually an indication of good animation too for the action. From the titles and preview, I'm guessing it'll end on "I can't win this one without you!". Cannot wait.
v6CIXSel.png

PNY4Dawl.png

pYfwpPkl.png

sBgkPkUl.png

Yamiiiii. Looking good.
--------------------------------

Last edited: