• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
If they showed the game before launch which they did then people had plenty of oppertunity to see if they wanted to buy the game or not - that's what consumers should want, seeing a game years from completion rarely tells you anything about what the finished game is going to be. You keep moving the goal post. They showed what Andromeda was, if people didn't like what they saw they didn't have to buy it.

They didn't buy it. That's why the franchise is now dead.

Because they were so scared to show the game in the years before release whatever little interest existed was immediately nuked by that demo.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah. Part of why I just don't really do multiplayer much, to be honest. Only a part, though--I've always had a generally better time with games meant to be played alone, hence why I wrote this just after the Anthem reveal:
Have you tried SWTOR? It's BioWare's MMO but it is actually very good played alone and definetly still has the BioWare story level you expect from - they have definetly made it more single player friendly over the years. If Anthem has taken what they learnt from SWTOR and they put their own spin on the genre like with SWTOR, I'd still be very happy.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Have you tried SWTOR? It's BioWare's MMO but it is actually very good played alone and definetly still has the BioWare story level you expect from - they have definetly made it more single player friendly over the years. If Anthem has taken what they learnt from SWTOR and they put their own spin on the genre like with SWTOR, I'd still be very happy.

I would be perfectly okay with this 100%

SWTOR is a very fun solo experience these days and the story is great for many of the classes

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
They didn't buy it. That's why the franchise is now dead.

Because they were so scared to show the game in the years before release whatever little interest existed was immediately nuked by that demo.
Mass Effect Andromeda actually sold well. But again your first point was that EA tricked people into buying Andromeda cus they didn't know what it was - know you're saying that they had a demo which actually made people not buy it. They may just be a tiny bit incompatible here.

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem is my most hype mutiplayer game for this E3 but the last games of Bioware and the way EA handle stuff lately make me worried, I don't know but I hope I'm wrong.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I fucking hated it to be honest, though that's partly to do with how they handled the continuation of KotOR and KotOR II's narrative, rather than the fundamental mechanics. I did very much find it to be a compromised experience when contrasted with actual, dedicated singleplayer RPGs, though, from the world design to the basic mechanics to the side-quests and progression...

I've heard good things about the Imperial Agent storyline, so maybe I'll go back to it someday, but all the MMO guff - combined with my utter loathing for their handling of Revan and particularly the Jedi Exile - makes it difficult for me to build up the will to play it instead of, well, anything else.

Like, to make my perspective on this clear, the furthest I ever got in WoW was, like, level fourteen. I hate playing MMOs. Star Trek is the most important setting in all of fiction for me, but I still couldn't stomach more than a few hours of STO. And heck, TOR's technically a sequel to my favourite game, ever - KotOR II - but that's certainly not made it easier to enjoy.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with you enjoying TOR, or whatever - just as there'll be nothing wrong with people enjoying Anthem - but if Anthem is to Destiny what TOR was to, like, WoW, I'll still hate every minute I spend playing it.

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I would be perfectly okay with this 100%

SWTOR is a very fun solo experience these days and the story is great for many of the classes
Yep! They've also been improving their MTXs recently too, with having a lot of them direct purchase, and with being able to buy them off the auction house from other players, it's a pretty good setup. Another area I hope Anthem follows.

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this, really looking forward to seeing more.

EA have made some terrible decisions but I'm confident the Battlefront disaster has taught them a few things in time for Anthem. I also think the gaming communities need to relentlessly crusade against every big game is a bit tiresome.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah. I fucking hated it to be honest, though that's partly to do with how they handled the continuation of KotOR and KotOR II's narrative, rather than the fundamental mechanics. I did very much find it to be a compromised experience when contrasted with actual, dedicated singleplayer RPGs, though, from the world design to the basic mechanics to the side-quests and progression...

I've heard good things about the Imperial Agent storyline, so maybe I'll go back to it someday, but all the MMO guff - combined with my utter loathing for their handling of Revan and the Jedi Exile - makes it difficult for me to build up the will to play it instead of, well, anything else.

Like, to make my perspective on this clear, the furthest I ever got in WoW was, like, level fourteen. I hate playing MMOs. Star Trek is the most important setting in all of fiction for me, but I still couldn't stomach more than a few hours of STO.
Yeah, if you're not fond of how Revan and Exile story went I can see that being a tad annoying (I was actually fine with how they handled it but found the Shadow of Revan expansion a tad bizarre) but most of the class stories don't really mention it (mainly only the Jedi Knight). and I'd really recommend the Empire storylines specially Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior. When did you last play it? They've rejigged it alot from launch to make it much more solo friendly so it might be worth a shot to play again plus the last two expansion were very story driven too.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I never got the excitement for this game, based off one short trailer that was extremely early...when is the last time Bioware released a good game, Mass Effect 2? And all their games have terrible gunplay which is the very definition of generic 3rd person cover based shooters.

Actually, when is the last time EA released a good game that wasn't sports or Battlefield?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I thought the title was referring to last year's E3 gameplay, and not this year's E3 gameplay. That would have been a huge problem.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, if you're not fond of how Revan and Exile story went I can see that being a tad annoying (I was actually fine with how they handled it but found the Shadow of Revan expansion a tad bizarre) but most of the class stories don't really mention it (mainly only the Jedi Knight). and I'd really recommend the Empire storylines specially Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior. When did you last play it? They've rejigged it alot from launch to make it much more solo friendly so it might be worth a shot to play again plus the last two expansion were very story driven too.

It's been a few years, which is part of why I'm at least considering giving it another go - I've heard that it's gotten a little better for solo play elsewhere, too - but building up the will to subject myself to what is, genuinely, the single most disappointing thing in the history of gaming for me is, well, a struggle. Every bit of TOR - from the very concept, through to what I've experienced of the execution, to their handing of genuinely my favourite RPG protagonist (The Exile, not Revan), and story, ever - honestly makes my angry to think about. KotOR II is my single favourite Star Wars thing, above all the other games, the movies, and the TV shows, so... Yeah, to say I think TOR dropped the ball on that one, is a gross understatement.

(To be clear, I do realise this isn't entirely reasonable. Doesn't really make a difference, though.)

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect a graphical downgrade. I think this will be their best looking game, geared heavily towards lootboxes & microtransactions.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Youd honestly think they'd never made a good game before.
Several of my very favourite games are BioWare games - including some of their more recent stuff (I really love Dragon Age 2, for instance) - but, well, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Anthem is a massive departure, genre-wise, from what they've made previously (outside of TOR, anyway) as singleplayer versus multiplayer is pretty much the most fundamental distinction there can be between kinds of games. As such, it's not really a surprise that some people who've enjoyed BioWare's past work, but know from decades of experience that they just don't really have fun with multiplayer experiences, wouldn't be too hot on Anthem.

Now, as I've said before, it's not like BioWare has to be make games 'for me' - or anyone else, for that matter - specifically; they can do what they like, and good for them. But that doesn't mean I have to pretend to be excited about one of the very few developers who make my favourite kind of game - big budget singleplayer RPGs - deciding that they're not gonna do that anymore.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
You have to feel sorry for EA for just how hard they've missed the Destiny(alike) train.

They must have have thought they could print money with this gameplay loop and lootboxes. And yet here we are in 2018.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I just want them to rip off Monster Hunter. Seriously, if they were smart, they would do that. Just throw in some cosmetic microtransactions if you have to have them in the game.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You have to feel sorry for EA for just how hard they've missed the Destiny(alike) train.

They must have have thought they could print money with this gameplay loop and lootboxes. And yet here we are in 2018.

Well, the way Destiny is screwing the fan base and tripping over itself with dumb gameplay choices, Anthem still has a good chance... Maybe.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope anthem doesn't break bioware. As much as they made mistakes with ME: Andromeda and the like, I'd like them to stick around so they can improve.

For the love of God, can Anthem's initial content not be as dry as other GAAS game like Destiny 1 launch, Sea of Thieves, The Division where you can literally get everything done in a week, then have to endlessly grind out the same events over and over until a content drop?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
That's it? That is absolutely not saying the flight mechanics are "fake" nor did they say everything is a series of rooms or corridors lol.

And of course there's an eventual limit to verticality. Even GTA has a height ceiling for planes and things like that.

Darkstorne I'd suggest you produce some evidence. If not, then please don't make random things up. It's not how we do things on the forum.
Sorry, been away from my PC since posting =P Someone provided the quote already but:

"Yeah basically... the trick is mainly that you have to hide (visually) all the stuff you want to load out and load in. So in an open world game, maybe you go into a giant canyon... and as you move through it, you unload the big area behind you. A bit later on, you load in the big area in front of you."

Coupled with talk about flight ceilings and: "A lot of the restrictions with flying are due to performance considerations... if we push things to far we could end up in the... danger zone..." it has me worried. But maybe I'm reading into it too much?

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is going to launch into a market:

pissed off with EA,
sick of lootboxes,
ready for the downgrade after last years fake trailer,
ready to tear it apart after Mass Effect

Anthem will not go well, I for one am preparing to laugh heartily at it.

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is going to launch into a market:

pissed off with EA,
sick of lootboxes,
ready for the downgrade after last years fake trailer,
ready to tear it apart after Mass Effect

Anthem will not go well, I for one am preparing to laugh heartily at it.

Why would you take pride at and look forward to "laughing heartily" at something's failure? Why not be grown up about it and want games to be good and to succeed because of it?

Personally I think EA's made some bad decisions in the past, but I want every game to be great and I hope Anthem is a big success.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really think they're going to focus heavily into something they were destroyed for a few months ago?
Their fuck-up with Battlefront was making the lootboxes pay-to-win. Given how even this forum defends Overwatch till their fingers fall off all you need to do is make the lootboxes cosmetic and people will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017

Well fortunately for EA/Bioware they didn't miss the train. There's still a huge market for this type of game. We just need to wait and see if they can actually deliver with this one. It helps that Destiny 2 lost steam quickly.

Still, I just don't get the hype. The reveal was boring and didn't look all that fun. Bioware has been garbage tier for years. And it's like, ok another one of these... Yay I guess? You also know it'll be full of MTX.

Thank god we have BGS and CDPR.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's been a few years, which is part of why I'm at least considering giving it another go - I've heard that it's gotten a little better for solo play elsewhere, too - but building up the will to subject myself to what is, genuinely, the single most disappointing thing in the history of gaming for me is, well, a struggle. Every bit of TOR - from the very concept, through to what I've experienced of the execution, to their handing of genuinely my favourite RPG protagonist (The Exile, not Revan), and story, ever - honestly makes my angry to think about. KotOR II is my single favourite Star Wars thing, above all the other games, the movies, and the TV shows, so... Yeah, to say I think TOR dropped the ball on that one, is a gross understatement.

(To be clear, I do realise this isn't entirely reasonable. Doesn't really make a difference, though.)
Nah, I understand, sometimes there's just a thing that annoys you enough that you can't get past it even if it isn't entirely logical. At least with Anthem being a new IP it isn't going to affect you the same way. And it's more than a little better for solo play as I originally played SWTOR at launch and it annoyed me way too much (way too grindy and there was alot blocked off if you didn't want to group up), played again about 2-3 years ago and absolutely loved it - it was way more up my street so to say as like you I'm more of a solo player. I hope really that Anthem learns from that. Specially as the gameplay actually makes me feel really excited as I really want to fly everywhere and dive into water. They meet that with classic BioWare story and solo play like SWTOR and I am there :P

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
which is why I wrote this just after the Anthem reveal:

[Quoted Post]

Watching the trailer just bummed me out all over again. There's definitely a game I could love in there, buried under all the 'and your friends' stuff, and the inherent compromises - from the perspective of someone who likes solo games - that come with designing a game as a primarily multiplayer experience.

Yeah I can understand that you want a story focused RPG from a studio known for making that style of game.

I can also understand how dudebro friend lootnshoot might take away from that.

I'm just hoping that it's a DA or ME style story and then the missions let you tag in buddies or AI companions.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry, been away from my PC since posting =P Someone provided the quote already but:

"Yeah basically... the trick is mainly that you have to hide (visually) all the stuff you want to load out and load in. So in an open world game, maybe you go into a giant canyon... and as you move through it, you unload the big area behind you. A bit later on, you load in the big area in front of you."

Coupled with talk about flight ceilings and: "A lot of the restrictions with flying are due to performance considerations... if we push things to far we could end up in the... danger zone..." it has me worried. But maybe I'm reading into it too much?
You're certainly reading into it too much. The first comment about unloading and loading areas into memory is fairly standard in open world games. Many of them do that.

And "flight ceilings" is just a way of saying "Yeah, obviously you can't literally go "anywhere" ". No open world game lets you go anywhere, there has to be a limit for the game to function. Try flying a plane as high as you can in GTA V. Eventually you hit a ceiling.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Wishing for a publisher / developer to shut down, thread derailment.
Why would you take pride at and look forward to "laughing heartily" at something's failure? Why not be grown up about it and want games to be good and to succeed because of it?

Personally I think EA's made some bad decisions in the past, but I want every game to be great and I hope Anthem is a big success.

Because EA are a cancer of the industry and I wish them failure at every turn.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Several of my very favourite games are BioWare games - including some of their more recent stuff (I really love Dragon Age 2, for instance) - but, well, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Anthem is a massive departure, genre-wise, from what they've made previously (outside of TOR, anyway) as singleplayer versus multiplayer is pretty much the most fundamental distinction there can be between kinds of games. As such, it's not really a surprise that some people who've enjoyed BioWare's past work, but know from decades of experience that they just don't really have fun with multiplayer experiences, wouldn't be too hot on Anthem.

Now, as I've said before, it's not like BioWare has to be make games 'for me' - or anyone else, for that matter - specifically; they can do what they like, and good for them. But that doesn't mean I have to pretend to be excited about one of the very few developers who make my favourite kind of game - big budget singleplayer RPGs - deciding that they're not gonna do that anymore.

You're point isn't saying you don't think the dev has the talent to make a good game. You're saying regardless of how great the game is it isn't your type of game so it's greatness won't appeal to you.

There is a massive difference there. Your reply doesn't add the to the negativity I called out.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never got the excitement for this game, based off one short trailer that was extremely early...when is the last time Bioware released a good game, Mass Effect 2? And all their games have terrible gunplay which is the very definition of generic 3rd person cover based shooters.

Actually, when is the last time EA released a good game that wasn't sports or Battlefield?

Titanfall 2. Definitely deserved more than it got from EA.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
You're certainly reading into it too much. The first comment about unloading and loading areas into memory is fairly standard in open world games. Many of them do that.

And "flight ceilings" is just a way of saying "Yeah, obviously you can't literally go "anywhere" ". No open world game lets you go anywhere, there has to be a limit for the game to function. Try flying a plane as high as you can in GTA V. Eventually you hit a ceiling.
I hope so! E3 is definitely their chance to put that fear to bed then. But those comments about "canyons" and "flight ceilings" helped explain why they flew straight down into corridor environments to me in last year's demo, and never rose above the treeline again.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Because EA are a cancer of the industry and I wish them failure at every turn.
The majority of people employed by EA are just game devs that care about their product and have huge individual investment. It is not their fault, and wanting EA to blindly fail is just callous.

They've already been forced to adjust to the market due to loot box backlash. People should keep exercising their rights as consumers but leave the developers who have no say in those decisions out of it.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing more of this. Honestly, when they first revealed it, I was a bit bummed that the next BioWare IP was not going to be exactly a trademark "BioWare game", but maybe it's for the best. I want to be pleasantly surprised by this game. The ambition is there, and hopefully they can pull it off. Both BioWare and the RPG genre deserve that.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The majority of people employed by EA are just game devs that care about their product and have huge individual investment. It is not their fault, and wanting EA to blindly fail is just callous.

They've already been forced to adjust to the market due to loot box backlash. People should keep exercising their rights as consumers but leave the developers who have no say in those decisions out of it.

I never said I wasnt callous, and I would argue that they knew who they went to work for.

The key words is "adjust", they will simply disguise their additional revenue streams, they wont abandon them. You think they'd give up the FUT millions without a fight? Not a chance.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
Nope, I don't care if it's the greatest game ever made - I am NOT buying it, and NOT playing it.

They should have focused on Mass Effect and not dumped it for this Destiny wannabe. They were done with me when they announced their decision to stop supporting their 5 month old Andromeda. Unless they're saying Quarian dlc (or Trilogy remaster) I'm just not listening.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I never said I wasnt callous, and I would argue that they knew who they went to work for.

The key words is "adjust", they will simply disguise their additional revenue streams, they wont abandon them. You think they'd give up the FUT millions without a fight? Not a chance.
That's a very immature and simplistic view of how the world works.
EA may have questionable business practices, but it's generally a decent and inclusive employer that offers more stability, than, say, starting your own indie studio so you can pull the strings yourself.
Ask most devs and they'd probably say they'd gladly work for EA. Come on, now...

Nope, I don't care if it's the greatest game ever made - I am NOT buying it, and NOT playing it.

They should have focused on Mass Effect and not dumped it for this Destiny wannabe. They were done with me when they announced their decision to stop supporting their 5 month old Andromeda. Unless they're saying Quarian dlc (or Trilogy remaster) I'm just not listening.
Would you invest money on a game that faced both low commercial success and public backlash? Even the multiplayer portion of the game received barely any post-launch support. The story DLC was never going to happen.