DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzFBZY_wEMQ
Bill Burr sounds off on cancel culture, feminism, getting bad reviews from his wife and a life-changing epiphany during a fiery stand-up set. Live at Red Rocks debuts July 12th, only on Netflix.

Note: Bill Burr has used transphobic material in his comedy. Please see threadmark for multiple examples of this, as well as reading the comments to understand the controversy and viewpoints surrounding him.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
"sounds off on cancel culture, feminism"

Yeah, I think I'm good. Maybe Burr will surprise me, but…yeah, I think I'll be good

Oct 30, 2017
"I have significant anger problems and catastrophize the smallest changes in my life. FUCK YOU TOASTER YOU PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT. My 4 year old daughter has more emotional maturity than me and has to remind me to control my tantrums."

So fucking funny!

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
another shithead comedian to throw on the shithead pile....fuck this guy and fuck his special and fuck netflix for platforming these shitheads
pardon my french

to be honest, ive never seen what other people saw in burr. hes never been funny to me, just an asshole.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Great comedian. Felt he peaked already but curious about this new set.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah never got why he was popular. Tried to watch it once, saw him kick down for a solid ten minutes and sound whiny at the same time, was like nah I'm good.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing says washed up comedian like complaining about cancel culture. So boring.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Bill Burr has always given an unexpected spin on what are typically unfunny "shock comedy" topics in other comedians' hands, so I don't get the first few responses here.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Bill Burr has always given an unexpected spin on what are typically unfunny "shock comedy" topics in other comedians' hands, so I don't get the first few responses here.
I don't think many of them are familiar with his material honestly. It does not land like the marketing copy describes at all. His podcast is a good example of this.

Oct 27, 2017
Unfamiliar with him maybe. They just read the admittedly terrible descriptor of this special and assume he's like Gervais or Chappelle or Cleese bitching about how unfair it is to be a white man- which he doesn't do nor has he ever really done. He's also been really transparent about his upbringing, anger and how men are taught all the wrong things about emotions.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I wouldn't lump Burr in with Gervais and Chappelle based on that description, he's usually a little.more thoughtful about where the lines of reasonable comedy are

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
They just read the admittedly terrible descriptor and assume he's like Gervais or Chappelle. He's also been really transparent about his upbringing, anger and how men are taught all the wrong things about emotions.
Yep, I honestly don't get the marketing copy.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
If that tagline was used on most any other comedian it'd get an eye roll and a skip from me but Burr has a lot of good will built up with me so I'd be surprised (and let down) if it was the usual " hurr durr cancel culture ugghh" bit.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Dunno, Burr has some good stuff but last few specials have been more or less nothingburgers. His podcast has some good stuff and he doesn't seem to be asshole and tries to better himself.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

I don't think many of them are familiar with his material honestly. It does not land like the marketing copy describes at all. His podcast is a good example of this.

Unfamiliar with him maybe. They just read the admittedly terrible descriptor of this special and assume he's like Gervais or Chappelle or Cleese bitching about how unfair it is to be a white man- which he doesn't do nor has he ever really done. He's also been really transparent about his upbringing, anger and how men are taught all the wrong things about emotions.

I don't know if you all are being serious or not, but Burr has not been quiet on his opinions about 'cancel culture' in the past, so it's pretty obvious why someone would read that and think it's exactly what it sounds like.

Filthy Slug

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix knows what they're doing with that description--it's just shitty copy meant to entice their general comedy crowd. Bill's always been super introspective and open to change, and is generally a good dude, especially compared to the comedians he's grouped with. And like others have said, his spins on hacky shit like cancel culture and whatever else dumpster-ass comics like chappelle and rogan are circle-jerking over are more nuanced and interesting, usually. Basically, ignore Netflix's atrocious description--I haven't seen this, but based on Burr's history I think it'll be solid.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I like about Burr is that for a lot of this stuff he starts his bits admitting that he was a shit and then the comedy is in how he worked through it and changed his mind in the end.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the first few comments here? Did he say something shitty or is this the point where we shit on everyone for some reason?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I was always iffy on his comedy but he did great in the D+ Star Wars shows.

"sounds off on cancel culture, feminism"

Yeah, I think I'm good. Maybe Burr will surprise me, but…yeah, I think I'll be good

It's weird. One minute he'll be on the right side of an issue and the next he'll act like the issue doesn't matter. He's like the South Park of stand up comedians.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Aw others have said, Burr usually has unexpectedly decent takes on the things you wouldn't expect him to. His last 2 specials didn't do much for me comedy-wise unfortunately, but there was definitely nothing problematic in them. We'll see how this one goes.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I like Burr, not that he doesn't have his problems

Maybe he goes down the fucking tubes in this special, but there's quite frankly just as much as a chance that some of y'all were just suckers for marketing copy.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Burr has been whining about cancel culture for a good while. I remember years ago on the Jim Jefferies Show about how he was mad he couldn't make fun of a 'lesbian looking like John Goodman' even before cancel culture became the new good buzz term. Not to mention he came to the defense not long ago of that Gina whatshername got the boot on that Star Wars show.

Not sure where people are getting that he has some nuanced view on that. Unless something has changed very recently

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the first few comments here? Did he say something shitty or is this the point where we shit on everyone for some reason?

People are seeing a cranky old white dude who has made iffy comments in the past and are sounding off. His take on such topics are recent times have not been the boilerplate lines you would expect from Gervais and Co so it seems a bit premature to get annoyed. But there's a chance he could go there with how he's been in the past.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Its unfair to lump Burr in with the shitlist - he's said some dumb stuff but he always turns it back on himself and his own fucked up shit.

I always see him when he comes to the UK - but he doesn't seem to travel internationally any more. Probably because of his young family.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"Oh, well, they're gonna do a reboot of Top Gun. Uh, I'm gonna fly… [mumbling] And, uh, the copilot's gonna be transgender. So everybody will be happy. She won't die. Her discarded d!ck will block her head from the canopy. There'll be a gender-neutral bathroom on the plane."
scrapsfromtheloft.com

Bill Burr: Paper Tiger (2019) - Transcript - Scraps from the loft

Read the transcript of "Bill Burr: Paper Tiger" (2019). Only a few weeks after Dave Chappelle's "Sticks and Stones," Netflix releases the long-awaited Bill Burr's 6th stand-up special. Filmed at the Royal Albert Hall in London, "Paper Tiger" crushes, once more, the stupid culture of political...

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
scrapsfromtheloft.com

Read the transcript of "Bill Burr: Paper Tiger" (2019). Only a few weeks after Dave Chappelle's "Sticks and Stones," Netflix releases the long-awaited Bill Burr's 6th stand-up special. Filmed at the Royal Albert Hall in London, "Paper Tiger" crushes, once more, the stupid culture of political...

Wow I don't remember this bit at all. That's dumb and also not funny in the slightest.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
scrapsfromtheloft.com

Damn, there's that nuanced view others are talking about lol.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Bill Burr is a tremendous stand up but he has some pretty reprehensible views and is pretty unapologetic about them. Not saying boycott him, live your life, whatever, I'm not your mum, but if you wouldn't make excuses for Chappelle I don't know why you'd make excuses for him

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Its unfair to lump Burr in with the shitlist - he's said some dumb stuff but he always turns it back on himself and his own fucked up shit.

That's his entire fucking shtick.

">insert unfunny, ignorant observation about whatever 'woke' topic< BUT WHADDA I KNOW, I'M A MORON, RIGHT?"

That's it. I was onto it the moment an acquaintance of mine, who I know to be into dubious shit already, made me watch some of his stuff. Boring, predictable dogshit for people too non-committal to embrace the views he 'jokes' about having.