For US politics and election threads
Status
Not open for further replies.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
"😡🤬Top 5 election cheats Republicans don't want you to know about. You won't believe #3!"
Any MAGA accusing Democrats of "cheating" when Trump literally tried to ignore the results of the last election and change the outcome because he lost is such a disconnect from reality. Some people's brains have truly melted.
They have a tendency to accuse their enemies of what they themselves are doing. They got it from some handbook.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Non US citizen here, just curious

Even if Harris wins the vote, Trump is going to pull all the same stops he did back in 2020 isn't he? Call election fraud, constant recounting votes etc. I fear for the reaction his base will have if he loses. A second Jan 6 shouldn't happen.

I also don't understand the point of the electoral college, can they still just say 'no' to the result the people voted for? Hillary won the public vote and yet Donald got to be president due to the EC iirc? That's such bullshit lmao.
Harris just moves offices basically, VP office a new guys moves in. Trump can't do shit.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess there will be no more Biden Crime Family on Fox News huh? What will they say about Harris? Sleepy Kamala?

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
So now Trump has to face off against someone who is leagues smarter, more articulate, more experienced in both law and government, more personable, and just all around a better human being than he is. I'd definitely love to see them debate, but I imagine Trump is going to try to wriggle his way out of it unless he manages to get triggered if people start claiming he's afraid to debate her.
I'd love to see him try to wriggle his way out of debating Harris. There would be so many delicious hit pieces about how self-proclaimed God Emperor Trump ducked out in fear of a black woman. It would fucking mentally destroy him.

The media wants Trump to win because of all the traffic he generates. Perhaps Harris has a chance to turn that calculus in favor of her instead.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
If Harris wins the election, will she have to certify her own Electoral College win? That sounds like a weird Constitutional loophole lol

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Non US citizen here, just curious

Even if Harris wins the vote, Trump is going to pull all the same stops he did back in 2020 isn't he? Call election fraud, constant recounting votes etc. I fear for the reaction his base will have if he loses. A second Jan 6 shouldn't happen.

I also don't understand the point of the electoral college, can they still just say 'no' to the result the people voted for? Hillary won the public vote and yet Donald got to be president due to the EC iirc? That's such bullshit lmao.
There's no good reason for the EC in this day and age. It only exists at this point because one of the 2 viable political parties simply could not win without disenfranchising tens of millions of voters.

generic_orb

Banned
Jun 27, 2024

I dunno why it took so long for this thought to occur to me, but reading that tweet from Trump made me think - he talks like he's talking to children, so almost everybody can understand what he's saying, and nothing he says requires any actual information to understand because it's all made up anyway.

That's why he cuts through so much. People who don't know anything about politics, about what is actually happening or happened, and are too lazy or incapable of putting the effort in to find out, can just listen to his ramblings and say they agree with that. You've got to figure the amount of people who vote for Trump is the amount of people in the USA who find information too boring to care.

It always confused me because he's so obviously a sleazeball I don't know why anybody would choose him, but it's because they have basically no other information and with Trump, you don't need any.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
David Pakman said Sunday would be the perfect time

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I honestly don't know who David Pakman is, but yeah, I agree with his thoughts on Biden dropping out Sunday taking the wind out of the sails of the RNC, which, well, it clearly did! Lol

It boggles my mind that the GOP didn't have any kind of contingency plan ready in the event Biden dropped out of the race. But then again, why would they? The idea of someone willingly relinquishing their power for the greater good is a foreign, foolish concept to them.

It's oddly hilarious that they're reactionary talking point is "Hey, you can't drop out of the race after we spent so much time trash talking you instead of, say, pushing our platform! That's cheating!"

So now we're going to see them scrambling to attack Kamala over the next few days, but from what I can tell, they don't really have the same kind of ammo they can use against her that they could Biden. I mean, they're naturally going to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks, but they are certainly on the backfoot after feeling so smug and confident after Trumps assassination attempt last weekend.

I'd love to see him try to wriggle his way out of debating Harris. There would be so many delicious hit pieces about how self-proclaimed God Emperor Trump ducked out in fear of a black woman. It would fucking mentally destroy him.

The media wants Trump to win because of all the traffic he generates. Perhaps Harris has a chance to turn that calculus in favor of her instead.

Oh yeah, it'd be rather glorious to see his meltdown.

Don't even get me started on how the media covers politics and treats it like it's some kind of reality TV show. Fucking lives are at risk, and they just wanna generate engagement and clicks for revenue. So gross...

But I agree that I hope Kamala can turn that to her favor

Eye Konik

Nov 17, 2023
Kind of crazy to think if it wasn't for the (out of the ordinary) June debate, Biden wouldn't have dropped out before the convention and he would be our nominee heading into the general election. By the time when the first debate normally happens, it would be too late for him to drop out.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Kind of crazy to think if it wasn't for the (out of the ordinary) June debate, Biden wouldn't have dropped out before the convention and he would be our nominee heading into the general election. By the time when the first debate normally happens, it would be too late for him to drop out.
history is made on these small moments

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno why it took so long for this thought to occur to me, but reading that tweet from Trump made me think - he talks like he's talking to children, so almost everybody can understand what he's saying, and nothing he says requires any actual information to understand because it's all made up anyway.

That's why he cuts through so much. People who don't know anything about politics, about what is actually happening or happened, and are too lazy or incapable of putting the effort in to find out, can just listen to his ramblings and say they agree with that. You've got to figure the amount of people who vote for Trump is the amount of people in the USA who find information too boring to care.

It always confused me because he's so obviously a sleazeball I don't know why anybody would choose him, but it's because they have basically no other information and with Trump, you don't need any.
Heb talks like that because he only knows a few words. He's low iQ. He hasn't heen curious to learn anything throughout his life. This isn't a choice by him to talk this way. He can't talk any smarter.

Perfect for people who don't like thinking about politics and issues. Their only real topics are self-preservation and xenophopia.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

There's also the possibility that without contracting COVID, he wouldn't have been isolating and perhaps wouldn't have had that separation and space to come to a decision - or at least to come to a decision at this point.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty definitive proof that yes, debates matter

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
"Debates don't matter" need a big asterisk next to it now.
* Restrictions may apply if your candidate is of age 80 or above.

I think Biden has been, and given his age continues to be, an absolutely extraordinary politician. He's been in some form of public office for four decades, is still capable of executing the trickiest job in politics and throughout all this has maintained a pretty excellent public image, baring his terrible policy on Israel throughout his life. But there is a limit to how much you can push things, and it's to his immense credit that he realised this before it was too late. As we saw in the US with Supreme Court Justices and Senior Senators, that is not something you can take for granted.

Feb 24, 2018
So I've been to mentally exhausted to get involved in this conversation but is there anything stop Harris from becoming the Democratic nomination, both within and out of the party?

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been to mentally exhausted to get involved in this conversation but is there anything stop Harris from becoming the Democratic nomination, both within and out of the party?
In theory no, and there have been some declaring themselves for standing. But in reality, public awareness, Dem lawmaker backing and money coming in mean that it's Kamala's to lose.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Technically, someone else could declare their candidacy and try to win the nomination, but practically it's all but wrapped up for Harris to be the one.
I feel like the only person dumb enough to do that is Manchin, but I don't think he will

he cares about his legacy far too much

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, the mark of a true coup, endorsing the person you're working with.

I remember when the soldiers broke in, forced Joe to his knees at gunpoint, and made him endorse Kamala Harris.

ragolliangatan

â–² Legend â–²
Aug 31, 2019
But....that doesn't even make any sense? Trump is the only candidate who has both staged a coup AND survived an assassination attempt, so, what the fuck does this even mean? 🤔

These people never make any sense. Just like Trump complaining about getting a refund for the ads against Biden- Biden hadn't been officially confirmed by the DNC as their candidate at a convention so that's on the GOP and a result of the U.S election cycle being so drawn out.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I just rewatched this debate. We still have a lot of work to do to make this man shut up, especially if he won't debate again.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by the implication that the Democratic primary was fair and democratic. Wouldn't crooked Biden just have rigged it with his endless supply of dead Mexican drug-lord/rapist voters?

madstrike

Oct 25, 2017
uSca0qe.png

Damn, makes sense now, even i am considering going back.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017

View: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMru43dMB/

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
But....that doesn't even make any sense? Trump is the only candidate who has both staged a coup AND survived an assassination attempt, so, what the fuck does this even mean? 🤔

The MAGA crowd are saying that Harris somehow "couped" Biden by him choosing to step aside and therefore negated the millions who voted for him in the primary. The idea here is to deflect the conversation on subverting democracy away from Trump and towards Democrats to say, "see! it's actually they who are undermining democratic outcomes!".

Yes, it's completely rock-brained, incoherent, nonsensical, utter bullshit, and reeks of desperation.

Nice to see Lex "born in Moscow, incessantly tongues Putin's asshole" Fridman with the truly balanced take we've all been waiting for. What would we possibly do without him.

Fridman is as centrist as Rush Limbaugh, just far more spineless

Last edited:

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017

Fuck Fridman and those of the same ilk. There can be no contest.

Kamala should 100 % be the one to unite behind. She's the logical choice.

When you make a decision like this, you goddamn have to unite the party.

As a fun side note, as someone opposed to the idea, Lichtman still seems to see a path to victory. One of the things mentioned is precisely this - To unite behind Harris. So they essentially only lose the incumbency key.

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/BxvUPI1Bph4?si=TPMIPvmMKTN7S0_O

There's currently no social unrest, quite the opposite I'd say. People seem energized. People want the fascist piece of shit gone.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
As a fun side note, as someone opposed to the idea, Lichtman still seems to see a path to victory. One of the things mentioned is precisely this - To unite behind Harris. So they essentially only lose the incumbency key.

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/BxvUPI1Bph4?si=TPMIPvmMKTN7S0_O

There's currently no social unrest, quite the opposite I'd say. People seem energized. People want the fascist piece of shit gone.
was wondering how Lichtman would deal

good to see he finally gets it

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Guess there will be no more Biden Crime Family on Fox News huh? What will they say about Harris? Sleepy Kamala?
DEI Attorney Kamala or Laffin' Kamala. Maybe Fraud Kamala because she isn't a 'legitimate' candidate

No matter what, it will be absolute shite. They have nothing and they didn't prepare to have something. 'Sleepy Joe' at least captured an aspect of Biden's current persona that concerned voters.

Deleted member 24854

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Heb talks like that because he only knows a few words. He's low iQ. He hasn't heen curious to learn anything throughout his life. This isn't a choice by him to talk this way. He can't talk any smarter.

Perfect for people who don't like thinking about politics and issues. Their only real topics are self-preservation and xenophopia.

This is insane bullshit. generic_orb is correct. Trump didn't spend decades on television for no reason. He isn't the best communicator to ever live, but he's an accomplished one. And he has more or less always spoken like this, but in his political years his speech got markedly stiffer and more incisive, albeit more vague. It works, demonstrably, and the party guidelines follow this style of communication now because they are uniquely suited to this age.

He goes back and forth between aggressive and spuriously carefree that it's extremely hard to catch him on his bullshit. He completely destroyed the GOP primaries by offending his opponents then, when caught, saying inspiring, but crude platitudes and amenable reconciliations to third parties ("I don't always agree with Marco, and I don't always agree with Ted, but I get along with everybody" etc).

Speaking simple sentences, constant repetition, unverifiable hyperboles, emotional response indicators (you know, the very short and quick words and phrases he uses to wrap up his accusations and ramblings) -- these are all in the mass communicator's playbook, and it isn't for nothing that he has a sperch and writing style that most can replicate at the drop of a hat, even to mock him.

Don't underestimate him. He's an enemy. He got to be President once.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
was wondering how Lichtman would deal

good to see he finally gets it
Had this decision been made sooner and Kamala actually took over as president, they would've retained both keys (basically what I've been saying, I think they should've done this 2 years ago). Lichtman still thinks she should've taken over, but this close to the election, she would be forfeiting an entire term as president.

So I don't personally think it would've been worth it.

Either way, it's time to fire on all cylinders. I want to see a landslide victory. I want to see the orange turd gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.