For US politics and election threads
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
I don't think I realized how shook the right would be about this.
Since Kamala has largely been out of the spotlight for the past four years, I bet the worst scenario they imagined would've been her as a lame Gore-like candidate that would fail to get anyone energized, let alone get enough votes for the nomination.

Instead what they got was a sleeping giant that just woke up, a lot of which was also due to Dems absolutely starving for a change of the guard. Horribly miscalculated, and I'm all for it. Please, keep miscalculating.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Since Kamala has largely been out of the spotlight for the past four years, I bet the worst scenario they imagined would've been her as a lame Gore-like candidate that would fail to get anyone energized, let alone get enough votes for the nomination.

Instead what they got was a sleeping giant that just woke up, a lot of which was also due to Dems absolutely starving for a change of the guard. Horribly miscalculated.
I also think they (like me, to be honest) expected Biden dropping out to mean utter chaos within the party.

Instead we got an unbelievable amount of unity.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I realized how shook the right would be about this.

We're in very uncharted waters with this whole thing. Or at the least, uncharted for the lifetimes of current living people. The last time anything remotely similar to this happened was 1968, and even back then everything was very different. American politics is and pretty much always has been a spectacle, but the last 8 years has felt like a constant escalation of "can you believe THIS shit?!"

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Instead what they got was a sleeping giant that just woke up, a lot of which was also due to Dems absolutely starving for a change of the guard. Horribly miscalculated, and I'm all for it. Please, keep miscalculating.
i think Biden 100% thought he'd only be a one-term president in 2020 and picked Harris knowing one day she could easily fill the shoes

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Please go after the Swifties. Winning strategy

Remember when K-Pop stans trolled Trump by booking all the tickets to one of his events so he'd look like he was showing up to an empty crowd?

Swifties will do that every day for the rest of his life and then some. And they'll do it while sharing friendship bracelets.

We're in very uncharted waters with this whole thing. Or at the least, uncharted for the lifetimes of current living people. The last time anything remotely similar to this happened was 1968, and even back then everything was very different. American politics is and pretty much always has been a spectacle, but the last 8 years has felt like a constant escalation of "can you believe THIS shit?!"

Part of me wonders if part of the appeal of Kamala is that her winning could be the final end of the Trump age. Which hopefully it will be. I'm sure Republicans have another horror in store but I imagine the party will eventually reach a breaking point if their voters only want Trump and Trump is incapable of winning.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023

Why do all that when they could have just posted this:
Creating_Bugs_Bunny%27s_%22No%22.jpg

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
I also think they (like me, to be honest) expected Biden dropping out to mean utter chaos within the party.

Instead we got an unbelievable amount of unity.
Yeah I admit I had a feeling he would drop, but I gave it maybe 80/20 on a tepid Dem unity vs a brokered convention. I did not foresee this amount of fire.
i think Biden 100% thought he'd only be a one-term president in 2020 and picked Harris knowing one day she could easily fill the shoes
Yeah this too.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I repeat once again. It's literally been 48 hours. You can't write this in a movie without people complaining about Deus Ex Machina.

The conversation for what seems like a month now was the dems were doomed and every possible route they took, whether staying with Joe or going with someone else (at this point people were jumping over Kamala for other people), was a hail-mary and hope for the best.

And THEN, AND THEN.....Trump had an attempt on his life on live television which cemented him in the news cycle as a heroic American patriot which sealed the deal even more.

Now out of NOWHERE Kamala comes in and shuts shit down in a historic fashion with never before seen enthusiasm. This has definitely been a ride, and we're still months out.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I remember reading (no source so grain of salt) that Biden was expecting to be a one-term President but became convinced he needed to beat Trump again when it became clear he was running.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
"We're not going back!" Is actually a pretty good slogan imo.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I considered that Harris could step in after Biden's genuinely bad 1 2 3 combo of speech, COVID, and GOP narrative control, but was worried that the Dems would be more reactive to the GOP's messaging than creating their own plans. Which is why I was extremely nervous that if Biden did step down, they'd be in a mad/disorganized rush rather than doing what they are right now.

The GOP now suddenly scrambling because they have nothing concrete on Harris is delightful. it means they have to spend time fishing for an attack angle that "matters" to both their base and "concerned" swing voters at the same time. They had 20+ years to smear Clinton and that barely worked when it mattered. People are energized, all eyes are on Kamala, and now Trump looks like the decrepit old man he is (and that's putting it very kindly, of course). And Vance is...hahahahahaha. Real winner, that pick.

They have the noms, they have the $, they have the energy and the media attention. Plus Harris is a PoC who knows the standards for her will be higher than anything they'll expect of Trump. She's had time to watch him work for years and knows his game (it hasn't changed), but doesn't seem to be taking anything for granted either.

I hope she picks Kelly for VP. Shapiro is very bad about Palestinian/Gaza stuff and we don't need more of that on the national stage. We should be fine in PA, especially if she campaigns here.

Yes, please keep doing this.

This is very smart. Republicans are very smart. Keep doing this.

View: https://x.com/Acyn/status/1815903394097479942

Oh my god they have absolutely no idea of the monster they are poking with this stick.

PLEASE continue. Swifties are relentless and merciless like no other fandom I have seen

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Mind you this is possible with the motivation gained with Kamala. A lot were ready to sit out with Biden. Gotta keep energy on the campaign tho
the hope is this becomes Gen Z's "obama moment", where they get an unexpected, fresh candidate they can rally behind that isnt like Trump or Biden

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is by now means any kind of deep thought or well researched analysis, but I can't help but feel in my gut that one of the reasons Kamala Harris is enjoying such a moment is because we have a generation of younger people who feel utterly abandoned and left to their own devices by older generations. Economically, environmentally, systemically and politically. There's something powerful about Biden passing the torch and endorsing her, and even in the little call in he did when she was speaking. It just feels like it represents something sorely needed on more than just a literal, first degree level. And something more than a few are desperate for.

There's some irony in that considering Harris is 59, even if she looks younger.

Deleted member 24854

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Not buying this analysis at all. You need people to lean your way and be energized to vote, and that's not a given at all. If demographics determined elections so directly you'd always have progressives winning because there have always been more young people than old ones.

Dems are still pretty much on the backfoot.

Transistor gives away his kids' college fund because he hates them and loves games

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You know, I was hoping for a "please proceed governor" moment. I didn't think I'd get two fucking days straight of "please proceed governor" moments.

I have legitimately been smiling nonstop for two days.

Bookmark this shit right here:

Kamala wins? I'ma give away $500 in steam gift cards on this site.

LET'S WIN THIS

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Not buying this analysis at all. You need people to lean your way and be energized to vote, and that's not a given at all. If demographics determined elections so directly you'd always have progressives winning because there have always been more young people than old ones.

Dems are still pretty much on the backfoot.

You wouldn't always have progressives winning but you would have society and political parties trending more progressive overall over time, which is exactly what has happened over the last century. At this specific moment, the Republican party is refusing to do that, or even going further right.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I was hoping for a "please proceed governor" moment. I didn't think I'd get two fucking days straight of "please proceed governor" moments.

LET'S WIN THIS

Just donate it to the cause before the election.

Deleted member 24854

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You wouldn't always have progressives winning but you would have society and political parties trending more progressive overall over time, which is exactly what has happened over the last century. At this specific moment, the Republican party is refusing to do that, or even going further right.

This makes it seem like the incorporation of progressive agendas is in any way smooth or institutional, which it demonstrably isn't, and that progress is linear, which it also demonstrably isn't.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
This is like when someone makes a thread about a wildly popular artist or entertainer and people can't fight the urge to come in and comment "who?" The enthusiasm is real Ben, you don't get 81M dollars in 24 hours out of "fake" enthusiasm.
"i cant believe noone is talking about this video!"

*video has 10 million views*

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

LET'S WIN THIS

All of it has to be spent on Sonic games, right?

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024

I've said it before but I think she being out of the spotlight has benefited her . No baggage and people can project their hopes and expectations onto her

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

LET'S WIN THIS
Clarify the amount of cards for the sake of the bet please. 📝

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I find it so funny and smart how the coconut tree meme was a thing used to make fun of her in the past and is now what people are using to make her funny. I've seen so many remixes of that, of her dancing, things that are resonating a lot more with young people than whatever Trump is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.