Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
So, I have a 144 Hz FreeSync monitor on the way (AOC G2590FX, it's on the official Gsync Compatible list!) which should be arriving on Tuesday or Wednesday and I am beyond excited. The only high refresh rate screen I have personally seen ever is my gf's laptop which has a 120 Hz screen, but it doesn't have adaptive sync and I've never seen her playing any game that can hold a constant 120 Hz since I've only seen her play super high end games. So this is new for me.

So, Era, recommend me games that are awesome to play at 144 Hz. Games that are very frenetic, high speed action, you know.
These are my specs:
i7 6700k oc'd @ 4.4 GHz
GTX 1070
16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM

The screen is 1080p btw.

I was thinking about trying out Risk of Rain 2 and Rez Infinite. Also Warframe. What else?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Overwatch... I don't personally like the game, but it's graphics settings are perfect for freesync and gsync. For a 144hz monitor you want your frame rate to be between 141-143, in Overwatch you can control that in game. I don't know if this applies to freesync, but on Gsync you want to turn off vsync in game, but have it on in the driver menu.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Sekiro does not support 144hz, it's capped at 60hz.

Anyway, OP just try any fps to see night and day difference.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Apex Legends, Titanfall 2, Overwatch, CS: GO, Devil May Cry 5.

Any FPS that supports >60fps really.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
No, Vsync is pointless when Gsync or Freesync are present, it just adds extra input lag without any benefits. More info:
https://youtu.be/F8bFWk61KWA?t=573
I've seen all his videos on the subject. But he never mentions the Nvidia control panel settings. I know the ingame vsync will add input lag. Anyways here is a link where I got my info, he explains it much better than I ever could.
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/15/

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any game that holds 100+ on your hardware...
Framerate is a component of all games, not just some. Except visual novels I guess.

And you need Vsync on for Gsync to work, what are you talking about

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
CS:GO

And you'll even notice it just drag and dropping something in windows. It's the best upgrade I ever made.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro does not support 144hz, it's capped at 60hz.

Anyway, OP just try any fps to see night and day difference.
You can unlock the framerate and it works great with freesync. Unfortunately I was getting CPU bound so I couldn't get too close to 144hz myself, but was better than 60. :P

I'd agree with DMCV, Destiny 2. To add some others, Apex and Fortnite are super smooth with freesync.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
DOOM and Wolfenstein: The New Colossus are absolutely incredible at high frame rates, and they are not the hardest games to hit a very high frame rate with.

Nameless Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have 2 monitors plugged in? I had a similar issue where it was stuck 20 FPS because of that.
Yeah, I know. It only works on my TV, so everytime I want to play the game I have to play around in the NVidia control panel. It's so weird.
It runs at 60 FPS on my TV even when my GSync monitor is plugged in but not when I try to play it on the monitor itself. It also doesn't run at 60 FPS on my TV if my second monitor is connected.
So I have to disconnect my second monitor, make my TV my primary monitor (meaning I also have to change the sound output every time) every time I want to play the game. It's really, really stupid

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah, I know. It only works on my TV, so everytime I want to play the game I have to play around in the NVidia control panel. It's so weird.
It runs at 60 FPS on my TV even when my GSync monitor is plugged in but not when I try to play it on the monitor itself. It also doesn't run at 60 FPS on my TV if my second monitor is connected.
So I have to disconnect my second monitor, make my TV my primary monitor (meaning I also have to change the sound output every time) every time I want to play the game. It's really, really stupid
Having mixed VRR/non-VRR monitors is a pain in the butt.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget racing games. Forza horizon 4 is sublime at high framerates. Then compare how shitty it is on a Xbox.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
You need some serious hardware to push it above 80 fps though
depends on your definition of "serious hardware".
BWMmL67.jpg

6600k+1070 is rather mid range today id say, and thats at 1440p. heres 4k

RY2FIdy.jpg

these were taken right at launch, so id imagine improvements have been made since then.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
something fast the uses a mouse, so an arena shooter. or doom! hell, even a original doom sourceport with vertical mouselook kicks fucking ass at 144Hz.

also, while it doesn't use a mouse, trackmania is a great high refresh game.

osu is also very nice, if you're into it.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Just don't forget to limit the games to run BELOW 144hz, otherwise you will not experience variable refresh rate at all. It's a very common mistake that many gamers make, they just think that everything will be great without any setup. Check our gsync/freesync threads or look the YT video Battle(non)sense made on this topic.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Anything with 1:1 mouse input really. Shit,
simply operating Windows at high refresh rates is a joy.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Doom 2016, Titanfall 2, Destiny 2 and Forza Horizon 4 would be my picks.

Enjoy the monitor. I have the same model, only with pivot stand. It's very good for the price.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2016, Titanfall 2, Destiny 2 and Forza Horizon 4 would be my picks.

Enjoy the monitor. I have the same model, only with pivot stand. It's very good for the price.
Oh, I have a question for you! Does the Nvidia control panel (if you have Nvidia) recognise the monitor as Gsync compatible? I bought the non-pivot model because it's the one that's specifically in the Gsync Compatible list but I'm curious if the pivot model would also show as officially supported or not, since it's a different model and not on the list.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
There are some good examples like fast paced games, but don't forget the games you're used to play in 60Hz. They'll properly show you the difference. ;)

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Oh, I have a question for you! Does the Nvidia control panel (if you have Nvidia) recognise the monitor as Gsync compatible? I bought the non-pivot model because it's the one that's specifically in the Gsync Compatible list but I'm curious if the pivot model would also show as officially supported or not, since it's a different model and not on the list.
I have an AMD card, sorry.

To the second part: I'm 99% sure the only difference is the stand. Technologically, these monitors should be identical.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
COD Infinite Warfare
Bioshock Infinite
The Evil Within (look up the way to turn off v-sync and the game plays sooooo much better)
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Gears of War 4
World of Warcraft (if you're into that sort of thing. the game is much smoother at higher framerates)
Starcraft 2
Basically any MOBA

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
depends on your definition of "serious hardware".
BWMmL67.jpg

6600k+1070 is rather mid range today id say, and thats at 1440p. heres 4k

RY2FIdy.jpg

these were taken right at launch, so id imagine improvements have been made since then.

Forza Horizon 3 runs like garbage on my 1060 6 GB. Guess FH4 is better optimized!

Iztok

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO you'll get the best results in fast paced multiplayer FPS games.
By far.