TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
frogger2-------------------2__88132.1680808858.jpg

Fun gameplay. Challenging but not annoying IMO every death felt like it was my fault rather than the game, unlike the previous game. What's your favorite Frogger game? :)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any of the more "modern" takes on Frogger. I have rather fond memories of the Frogger clone Ribbit on the Apple II though:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H56wf6KJYK0

Thinking back, I don't think I played the arcade version much. A friend of mine had the Atari 2600 version (IIRC, that one was from Parker Bros.?), which was a decent port.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I haven't played any of the more "modern" takes on Frogger. I have rather fond memories of the Frogger clone Ribbit on the Apple II though:

Thinking back, I don't think I played the arcade version much. A friend of mine had the Atari 2600 version (IIRC, that one was from Parker Bros.?), which was a decent port.

I had the Parker Bros Coleco version and it's still a pretty nice one to go back too. Feels snappy

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Swampy's Revenge is the only one that came to my mind, probably because it's the only one I played back in the day lol

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, my go-to Frogger game is another 1980s clone; Hopper on the BBC Micro:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtYZr7cARA

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was immediately going to say the PS1 froggers but there it is.

I cannot say if the Shrek era games are any good tho

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
My grandparents used to have this thing, and when I was a little kid it was the coolest thing ever.

s-l1600.webp

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I always loved He's Back Frogger (1997) the most. Family had it on PC since around when to came out and always liked playing it. Very challenging too. It's the prequal to Frogger 2 Swampy's Revenge and I have that too. Both great games. What sucks is getting the soundtrack working right in anything later than Windows 98 since apparently it requires some sound driver that Windows removed later on. Probably best played on consoles nowadays.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Of the few I've played, it's unarguably Swampy's Revenge. But He's Back is still my personal favorite of the two, in spite of all of its major flaws. The arcade maze structure of the levels (and up to a certain point, even the high difficulty as well) is just uniquely addicting that Swampy's Revenge simply doesn't have due to its linear and more platformer-heavy design. I also really vibe with the presentation, it has a really nice soundtrack and a charming "early 3D" polygonal visual style with its graphics. I (still) wish we got a Frogger game that returned to He's Back's design brief and heavily polished/refined it to a sheen; alternatively, I'd absolutely throw tons of money towards a spiritual successor that picks up said pieces and modernizes it.

Although apparently some of the Frogger GBA games are just as good if not even better than Swampy's Revenge, at least based on the Nitro Rad reviews I've seen of them.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Of the few I've played, it's unarguably Swampy's Revenge. But He's Back is still my personal favorite of the two, in spite of all of its major flaws. The arcade maze structure of the levels (and up to a certain point, even the high difficulty as well) is just uniquely addicting that Swampy's Revenge simply doesn't have due to its linear and more platformer-heavy design. I also really vibe with the presentation, it has a really nice soundtrack and a charming "early 3D" polygonal visual style with its graphics. I (still) wish we got a Frogger game that returned to He's Back's design brief and heavily polished/refined it to a sheen; alternatively, I'd absolutely throw tons of money towards a spiritual successor that picks up said pieces and modernizes it.

Although apparently some of the Frogger GBA games are just as good if not even better than Swampy's Revenge, at least based on the Nitro Rad reviews I've seen of them.
You should give Zipper a try if you haven't yet. Made by the same developers of Swampy Revenge

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLHlfYHd2E

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Frogger '97 was my childhood. Was super difficult in places, but I didn't put it down till I got all the gold frogs.

The soundtrack was like ten times better than it had any right to be as well. (The disc actually works as a music CD too!)

LimeTime

Jul 17, 2023
It definitely wasn't the best, but the one I played the most was that dogshit one for the PS1. It played absolutely awful, but I was transfixed because it pulled the Donkey Kong '94 trick of fooling you into thinking it was just a 3D Frogger remake when in reality it was a brand new game with a ton of levels.

stati

Oct 20, 2019
Frogger 2 was the one I would play on repeat every year as a kid. Would always give up when I got to the labs for some reason. Think I beat it one time later on and that's it. Definitely challenging!

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't realize they made a sequel to the 90's Frogger!...

Is it good? I actually quite liked the first game on the PlayStation. It was definitely tough, but it had this charm to it. Haven't played it forever now, but I have a semi-strong sense of nostalgia for it. It was one of those 90's games that my dad bought because it was a modern successor to an arcade game he was into in the 80's, and there were a couple of these.

I should check out that direct sequel sometime.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017

Fun gameplay. Challenging but not annoying IMO every death felt like it was my fault rather than the game, unlike the previous game. What's your favorite Frogger game? :)
This was one of the first games I played on PC, and I remember really liking it. I gotta hunt down a copy.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly, the only Frogger game I played is the one on Playstation. That game was HARD, and I never beat it, but seeing the different ways Frogger can die often made me laugh.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

resetoeros1

May 30, 2018

Is it really good though? I was indeed hyped for this game back in 2011 when it was announced but since my excitement waned due to bad reviews it got at the time. Even nowadays few praise to the game can be found out there in the net.

Concerning the topic, haven't played it myself but Nitrorad endorsed Frogger Helmet Chaos, calling it his favorite Frogger game if i remember correctly.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Is it really good though?
It's not "good", it is Brilliant.

That's why I'm posting it in this thread. Because it's literally the best Frogger IMHO. I can say this because I've played it. Jump on in and discover it.

Regarding the period Western reviews, I can't explain the press. They all got it wrong, which as we all know has happened before. I can find many players enthusing about the game. In Japan it reviewed well, IIRC around 8/10 average.

What I can say is that there are two approaches to playing the game, which it makes clear during play. They equate to giving yourself an easy time (just get to the end of the stage) or a hard time (100% completion, sort of thing). You also collect coins to unlock further levels. So it's possible that the reviewers either found out too difficult, didn't collect any coins, or both.

It's just so very inventive. It's amazing how many different ways it presents the Frogger concept, how many spins and new things they try. A stage set at a Japanese shrine with rising and falling water levels? Yes. A boss battle on top of a moving truck whilst you avoid passing road signs and a bird of prey? Also yes. Being able to instinctively judge everything in 3D? Of course.

It's the Mario Galaxy of Frogger. I can't stress enough how much more than "good" it is.

Edit: I just posted an expanded version of this text as a review on my Backloggd.

Last edited:

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022

Saw this thread and immediately thought "Frogger 2 Swampy's Revenge", and I'm glad to see it right there in the OP.

I loved the level designs in this game, and a lot of the death animations were actually kinda cool or funny, which helped with dying not feeling too frustrating. It was also just a pretty cool and colourful looking game with nice presentation, I remember the title screen being a series of platforms you could hop between as Frogger for the different options.