DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's on TNT at the moment, in the US.

...it's actually kinda watchable? I know the tone changed to 60s camp Batman from the previous two, but it's not nearly as bad as it was rated? Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey work super well together, and the theme of Batman "giving it up" is kinda novel, imo.

Batman and Robin? Now that's trash

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah it was okay. The one after it was awful, but to the point that the mr freeze puns were so bad that it was good.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I remember liking it in the theatre as a kid but I havent watched it in 20 years.

Ive never actually sat through batman and Robin. I remember seeing the bat card scene and that was enough for me.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I have the exact opposite view, it is that bad and arguably the worst Bat-film. Jim Carrey is a blight on the film.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I agree with that. It's perfectly watchable and stays in a nice campy tone without being too much

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
No, it never was, but Batman and Robin definitely was, and that one being from the same director made it easy to lump the two together.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
It's on TNT at the moment, in the US.

...it's actually kinda watchable? I know the tone changed to 60s camp Batman from the previous two, but it's not nearly as bad as it was rated? Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey work super well together, and the theme of Batman "giving it up" is kinda novel, imo.

Batman and Robin? Now that's trash

This is ironic considering Jones hated Carrey on the set, going so far as to trash him and his films.

Apparently Schumacher vowed to never work with either actor again because of how bad it got, however he retracted that statement when he did The Number 23 i guess...

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

You can't hate on the movie that blessed us with "Kiss from a Rose".

Yeah, I know it was around before the movie, but it didn't blow up until the video.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched it a couple months ago and I could appreciate what it was trying to do but it was just too much for me. I couldn't enjoy it. Love it as a kid but it doesn't hold up for me. At least I could finish it unlike Batman & Robin. I gave up halfway through that one the same day.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Once Batman Returns was on TV, followed immediately by Batman Forever.

At the very end of Batman Returns, Alfred says, "Well, come what may. Merry Christmas, Mr. Wayne" and Bruce Wayne says, "Merry Christmas, Alfred. Goodwill to men... and women."

Then Batman Forever starts and Alfred says, "Can I persuade you to take a sandwich, sir?" and Batman says, "I'll get drive thru."

It's a pretty striking contrast.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
What's odd is that there's a shocking amount of growth here for Bruce that other movies didn't bother with. Like... the dude's pain over his parents has hit a point where it's not about his obsession, but his choice to be Batman because there's still some good that he can do.

There's a bunch of interesting elements in that movie that kinda work on their own, just it's a big 90's Hollywood mess when all mashed together.

OP
OP
DrFunk

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Val Kilmer taking the role without even thinking about it is pretty hilarious

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like an event when I was a kid. The action figures were great.

It's the least shit of the Schumacher Batflicks.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Loved it as a kid. Not really interested in rewatching it now though. It served it's purpose and I will be forever grateful for it.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Once Batman Returns was on TV, followed immediately by Batman Forever.

At the very end of Batman Returns, Alfred says, "Well, come what may. Merry Christmas, Mr. Wayne" and Bruce Wayne says, "Merry Christmas, Alfred. Goodwill to men... and women."

Then Batman Forever starts and Alfred says, "Can I persuade you to take a sandwich, sir?" and Batman says, "I'll get drive thru."

It's a pretty striking contrast.
Batman returns also had this scene.

The difference ain't THAT wide on how campy it is.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the most boring of all the movies. It's not good. It's not completely awful. It's just there. I think most of the interesting stuff never made it into the final cut.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Carrey is the most insufferable piece of annoying shit in that movie.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
The most annoying Jim Carrey performance I've ever seen. I'll go through all the Batman flicks every couple of years but Forever always gets skipped.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Batman returns also had this scene.

The difference ain't THAT wide on how campy it is.

Well the scene was pretty amazing and sombre for a kid like myself who watched it growing up. Yet now, I still don't see it as camp. More of Tim Burton-ey off kilter direction.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot U2 also did a song for the film as well, hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciated it tons more after the Nolan films.

Batman films need more charismatic actors like Carrey, not less.

I'm kinda shocked he and Jones hated each other. All their team-up scenes are gold!

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I watched it a few weeks ago and liked it way more than I expected to. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. I didn't remember much, and the internet had prepared me to hate it. It was fun, though. Very silly, very campy, but consistently fun. I also thought Jim Carrey was the best part of the movie. He seemed to know what they were making. A dumb comic book movie for kids.

Batman and Robin is fucking garbage, though. Watched it night after Forever and loathed it. I can't think of a single good thing to say about it. It's awful.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Still a good movie. Really liked it as a kid. I loved Kiss from a Rose and Nicole Kidman was smoking hot.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's pretty bad. Amazing set design just can't overcome everything else.

I will have to rewatch, I remember the Burton films feeling like a real Gotham and the ones that came after looked like obvious sets in a studio, it was quite off-putting.

Perhaps that happened after this film.