Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Here's something interesting that I came across today.

Bandai Namco's (I know this is the official name, but it still feels weird because I've been writing Namco Bandai for so long now. Anyway...) GYAAR Studio developed three games as part of their GEMini New Hire Onboarding Program that they hold every year in conjunction with Japanese publisher Phoenixx, who have now published the titles. The most interesting part is that they are free, on Steam, and, for the first time, are available worldwide. The class of 2022 saw four games released, but those were only available in Japan. I am kinda hoping they will also be made available for the rest of the world. More about them after the three games made during 2023.

First off, there's Nottolot. A game where you play as Rolly who wants to escape a robot factory and who's hacking ability is the key. Along with some fun 3D action.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2512830/NOTTOLOT/

Second, we have Doronko Wanko. This might be the most since you're playing as a sickeningly cute Pomeranian, with a massive asshole personality. Why is the dog an asshole? Because you have to fuck up your owner's home. Plenty of dog owners might have trauma from getting their home completely destroyed by their own dogs, so this might not be for them. Unless they want to experience what it's like as a dog. :P

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2512840/DORONKO_WANKO/

The last one is Boomeroad. This one is a fun platforming title where you can create your own sliding rails using a magical boomerang.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2512820/BOOMEROAD/

What Bandai Namco is hoping for is feedback from the people who played the games, which could help the new recruits get even better at their craft. So yeah, be sure to play them and let them know what you think. Of course, be respectful and constructive when you do so.

The titles from the 2022 Program are: Shigeru Planet, Excycle, Endrays, and Hook and Kaiju for those interested and able to play these titles.
GEMini 2022 New Hire Onboarding Program Games

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Is DORONKO WANKO suitable for all ages?
I just played it, it lasted 20-25 minutes, and yeah it feels like it would be a ton of fun for little kids (nothing objectionable at all in there). I'd say it's like De Blob or an inverse Mario Sunshine mixed with a modern physics sandbox. Cute little thing!

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Lol, I literally downloaded Boomeroad a few days ago. thought it was another student project, didn't look at the dev/publisher description.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like making a separate thread about Doronko Wanko considering how little activity there is in this one, it's a really fantastic little game that more people should play. It feels like it could be a sensation among streamers and vtubers if it was longer than half an hour and had more wacky moments like making everything in the wine cellar explode all over the walls. I could easily see them expanding the concept into a full length game where there are multiple houses to ruin, each with their own puzzles and secrets to uncover.

I'll have to try out the other two games as well, NOTTOLOT looks particularly interesting. I noticed the robot from that made a cameo in Doronko Wanko.