• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
Just checking in again...

We are all still in agreement that more Thor is needed, right? Good lord, I took nearly 5 movies but they absolutely nailed it. Need more Thor.

Thor went from meh to my favourite over the course of this and Ragnarok. Wish Bucky got more to do in this (my other favourite) but I guess the thanos stuff is more about the cosmic superheroes.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they went for a true double gut punch with the post credit scene.

Clint alone in his farmhouse, surrounded by dust.

Also just wanted to say again. Dr Strange is brilliant in this, Russo's did well by him.

Oct 27, 2017
Just checking in again...

We are all still in agreement that more Thor is needed, right? Good lord, I took nearly 5 movies but they absolutely nailed it. Need more Thor.

Yes, I agree. Thor has just hit his peak and it'll be an absolute waste if he doesn't get more solo movies. I feel like his character development has been really good overall and I want to see more from him.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I actually don't think Cumberbatch's accent is that bad... And yes I'm American lol. I don't see, or ahem rather hear what's wrong with it. Also I want another Dr. Strange movie ASAP, he went from being whatever to one of my favorite characters in this movie.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope when Peter comes back he had express course at being an adult and not bumbling kid.
No more games.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is How defeated Thanos

sqCJiCjl.jpg
Wouldnt be so sure about this, what if Thanos internal is so sturdy that it was antman who got crushed to death

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Thor getting a new weapon in Stormbreaker is cool and all, but doesn't it invalidate the "Are you Thor, god of hammers" thing in Ragnarok, which is supposed to show that he doesn't need a weapon to unleash his full potential?

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Some of the power dynamics in the movie are a tad strange. Like you said, Vision seemed Superman-tier godlike in Age of Ultron, and here he's literally a lame duck that does nothing. Regular-humans with no superpowers are more useful. This is more of a nitpick, but it amuses me that Tony Stark either doesn't realize or care that Peter has literal super powers, unlike him. And now he has an Iron Man suit on top of that. Acts like he needs to be protected when he really doesn't, if anything Tony is the one that needs protection. Anyway that's comic books I guess.

besides what was already said, I think its best to think of Tony Stark/Iron Man as Batman in these films. His super power is being more intelligent, more experienced, better at basically everything superhero compared to the rest. Cap, with all his strength and super powers would have been dead 2 minutes into the Civil War ending fight had Tony not been holding his punches and been trying to kill Bucky the whole time.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Thor getting a new weapon in Stormbreaker is cool and all, but doesn't it invalidate the "Are you Thor, god of hammers" thing in Ragnarok, which is supposed to show that he doesn't need a weapon to unleash his full potential?

Thor explains that he needed a new weapon to be able to kill Thanos and went to the same people that made his hammer.

It wasn't about his potential, it's that he had nothing that could defeat Thanos. His powers alone wouldn't cut it.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe his full potential isn't enough to take down someone who's literally more than a God with the gauntlet. So he needs a Godslayer weapon like Stormbreaker like Eitri says at Nidavellir.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
They kinda went out of their way to handicap the (arguably) three most powerful characters in the movie. Hulk was pummeled into humble pie by Thanos to instantly establish how much of a threat he is, Thor was equally overpowered to the point that he had to get an Infinity Plus One weapon to face him, and the Black Order took advantage of Vision's Achilles heel during the Scotland fight. If Vision was in the Wakanda fight he could probably beast most of the horde, but they had to get the mind stone out of him so he was also out of commission.

As for Spider-Man, well, for one thing, he only put the Iron Spider suit on him to give him oxygen - and so he could force Spidey off of the space ship. But Tony's actions are probably best summed up with this Homecoming scene.

Despite everything, he is a kid. And if IW proved anything it's that, more than ever, Tony sees Peter as his son. Peter might be "stronger", but it's still a risk he can't afford.

I fucking love this scene. It's so good.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Holy shit, 3 times already? I hope there are a bunch of deleted scenes. I wish we could get a extended version, like Lord of the Rings, but I think that's the only movie which did that :(

If I really enjoy a film I'll go more than once.... I've NEVER seen a film 3 times inside a week (talking cinema visits). I watched The Dark Knight a few times within the cinema release (4 times within 2 months or so). Infinity War was very well done, I had to see it again asap. I wasn't going o knock back invites to go watch it again with others.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos existence is to destroy what has been built up to this point.

Because that what forces of nature do.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
When Rocket was asking Thor about his father, mother, best friend, I wish he'd ended with "Girlfriend?" "Dumped me".

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, one of the few other negatives about the film is the same negative for 99% of Marvel films, shit tier soundtrack. The only decent theme is the Avengers theme which they spam periodically. But, besides that it's just a mash of generic hero/action music. I liked when they go to Wakanda and I'm like, "oh right, actual good music does exist somewhere in this universe."

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, one of the few other negatives about the film is the same negative for 99% of Marvel films, shit tier soundtrack. The only decent theme is the Avengers theme which they spam periodically. But, besides that it's just a mash of generic hero/action music. I liked when they go to Wakanda and I'm like, "oh right, actual good music does exist somewhere in this universe."

I disagree . I think Alan did an amazing job and the soundtrack had some great stuff in there.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They kinda went out of their way to handicap the (arguably) three most powerful characters in the movie. Hulk was pummeled into humble pie by Thanos to instantly establish how much of a threat he is, Thor was equally overpowered to the point that he had to get an Infinity Plus One weapon to face him, and the Black Order took advantage of Vision's Achilles heel during the Scotland fight. If Vision was in the Wakanda fight he could probably beast most of the horde, but they had to get the mind stone out of him so he was also out of commission.

As for Spider-Man, well, for one thing, he only put the Iron Spider suit on him to give him oxygen - and so he could force Spidey off of the space ship. But Tony's actions are probably best summed up with this Homecoming scene.

Despite everything, he is a kid. And if IW proved anything it's that, more than ever, Tony sees Peter as his son. Peter might be "stronger", but it's still a risk he can't afford.

I bet Peter is in Tony's will to take over Stark Enterprises when pepper quits to look after the baby.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some dumb complaints but saying Tony should've treat Peter like a kid is one of the bigger ones. Just because Peter has powers and then a nano-suit on top of that doesn't mean he's invincible. Starlord took him hostage and Thanos could've squashed him easily. Spider-Man was still severely lacking combat experience against powered individuals back in Civil War against people that weren't trying to kill him and since then he only fought Vulture which he didn't really beat. He's still a liability, he's still a kid, and if push comes to shove, doesn't have the mental fortitude to laying down his life for the cause, at least not yet, evidenced by his dust sequence.

Oct 25, 2017

This scene was so good my theatre let out a small silent ooooooo

Nov 21, 2017
OK, so you can't believe that a villain wants to do bad things.

Smart people do bad shit in real life, too. Intellect and altruism are not best friends.

I should have made it more clear that my post was mostly a response to people saying that Thanos is an understandable and sympathetic villain like Killmonger, and that his actions are somewhat justified.

Like in my mind, there is world of difference between the two character's motivations. And I think people are only saying "Thanos has a point" because Earth has it's own population crisis. But if you actually take a step back, Thanos's plan makes less sense and does not seem at all justified

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alan Silvestri's score is fantastic, with all his new themes and the return of his Avengers theme. But I agree that Marvel once again failed to bring back themes from past movies. The movie score would have been so much better if we had the Doctor Strange theme, and the Spider-Man theme, the Thor theme, the Guardians theme, and Silvestri's own Cap America theme all mingling and playing off each other just like the characters do.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel that there will be hard topping stakes in later movies.
You cannot beat the snap and everyone going poof , even in comics.

Unless they make Ultimatum adaptation but that would have been insane.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The lesson he learned in Ragnarok was that the source of his strength wasn't mjolnir, but within himself. That doesn't mean that he can't need a specific tool to do a specific job.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, nothing's wrong with you. I was talking to my kids about this after the movie.

IMO, Thanos and Kilmonger had good ideas, just a fucked up way to go about it.

They didn't have good ideas. They had legitimate concerns and somewhat understandable motivations.

Their actual ideas were bad, though lol

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Was Dr. Strange handicapped? Or was it more of a "he's still new at this Sorcerer Supreme" thing. Could the Ancient One have subdued Thanos?

I thought Strange was one of the most powerful characters, outside of Celestial beings.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Thanks to the stupid new God of War, I laughed out loud when Thor restarts the Forge and Eitri says "Well done BOY" or something to that effect.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, MCU Hulk is definitly not up to his game. I sure hope Avengers 4 will give him that much needed buff and make him the unstoppable force that he's supposed to be.
Since he still won't get his own movie he needs some more time to shine.
Avengers 1 and Ragnarok did so much great stuff with him, I guess I had high hopes for Hulk.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was Dr. Strange handicapped? Or was it more of a "he's still new at this Sorcerer Supreme" thing. Could the Ancient One have subdued Thanos?

I thought Strange was one of the most powerful characters, outside of Celestial beings.

Strange is definitely pretty strong, but on the whole MCU versions of characters are nerfed from their comic counterparts.

Oct 25, 2017
I should have made it more clear that my post was mostly a response to people saying that Thanos is an understandable and sympathetic villain like Killmonger, and that his actions are somewhat justified.

Like in my mind, there is world of difference between the two character's motivations. And I think people are only saying "Thanos has a point" because Earth has it's own population crisis. But if you actually take a step back, Thanos's plan makes less sense and does not seem at all justified

He does have a point, it's just his methods of attack are completely fucked up. He's an asshole and deserves to lose, like Killmonger. However, he's also sympathetic because he has pathos, like Killmonger.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if the score of the movie is as good as Thor Ragnarok but Alan Silvestri manages to evoke a degree of emotional heft in his music that, as far as I'm concerned, has only ever been equaled by Tyler Bates' music in Guardians of the Galaxy. Despite his music falling into fairly standard "orchestral" fare, he uses some stellar motifs throughout the original Avengers movie that give it a lofty yet memorable cinematic feel and it's best exemplified in the Avengers theme.

Infinity War's score also feels incredibly foreboding. The moment they opened up the Marvel Studios logo on that dark little motif that's utilized throughout the movie, even though it's so simple, just stood out and emphasized how eerie and unpredictable Thanos is. And that end credits scene.

This music alone just kills me, every time I think about it I feel like I'm back in the theaters tearing up a little.

If I'd have to rank my favorite MCU scores as of present it's
Thor Ragnarok > Guardians of the Galaxy 1/2 > Avengers > Infinity War > Iron Man > Iron Man 3 > The Winter Soldier > Civil War > The First Avenger > everything else

Status
Not open for further replies.