Did you think the game would be around in 5 years?

• Yes - I thought it would be just as popular if not more popular

Votes: 120 49.6%
  • Kinda - I thought it would be still around but people would have moved on

Votes: 115 47.5%
  • No - I thought it would be dead and servers shut down

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Avengers Endgame turns 5 this year and I distinctly remember quite a few posts in the OT / spoiler thread talk about that being immersion breaking or extremely unlikely. What did you think? Did you scoff, or think it was possible?

Personally: while it was obviously a marketing collaboration with Epic/Marvel/Disney, I thought it could happen, even though I've never played (to this day). Minecraft had been around for a decade at that point, and I've played MMOs for 10 years.

I'm not quoting the names of the original posters because this isn't a "Aha!" thread, but some of the original comments are below.

Biggest immersion breaker:

People are still playing Fortnite in 2023. On a PS4.

I can't believe no one is talking about the biggest plot hole of them all: how fortnite is still a thing 5 years from now.

Thano's snap created a dystopian hellscape where Fortnite is still popular 5 years from now.

Fortnite in Endgame was just blatant product placement for something that's currently popular that's going to be really weird to watch in a few years...

What's weird is that people are still playing Fortnite in five years

My biggest gripe with Endgame: Do they really think people will still play Fortnite in 5 years?

Korg showing up and playing Fortnite also got a big clap. All the kids knew what's up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcFipN1dhC4

Last edited:

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
In terms of longevity in a normal scenario, yeah, I'm hardly surprised it's lasted this long.

In terms of a world where half of the population just vanished, I'm a bit more surprised it was still going.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Replace Pokemon with fortnite, and endgame with other media, and those comments start sounding familiar...

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I had the same thought watching the movie. I actually thought about this a few months ago, like, "oh shit, I was wrong."

It's weird because today it seems so obvious, like of course Fortnite has remained popular this whole time and will for who knows how long! Because it's been such a constant presence. It makes sense.

But in 2019 it also felt like common sense to think Fortnite wouldn't last forever. (IMO)

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
Was so confused what OP was saying. Read the title, the opening text, the first two quotes - it was the 3rd quote when it hit me you mean ppl inside Endgame were playing Fortnite in 2023. Thought this was about some in-Fortnite collab. I don't even remember this scene lol.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
not surprised it's not like fortnite is some huge anomaly. A lot of games have huge longevity especially when they're supported by updates.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
'Fortnite won't be popular in 5 years time'

Whereas in reality, Fortnite was only getting started whereas Marvel was about to fall off a cliff and end up being terrible 5 years from that point lol

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious, but i wish you tagged the posters, i'm really curious to hear what they have to say now that Fortnite is still being played while Marvel is kinda struggling 😂

beebop

May 30, 2023
I reckon if half the population vanished the need for social interaction would be greater, and online gaming could help out in that sense.
The entire industry shit itself over a virus. I suspect we'd be living with the same games for a while if half the population disappeared.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I think whats even funnier is that Thor was playing on an older season map and Fortnite just happened to also make that map return

It does beg the question though if the comics Thor skin is available in MCU Thor's timeline. Or else he could be playing as Batman.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I reckon if half the population vanished the need for social interaction would be greater, and online gaming could help out in that sense.
Yeah, from that perspective. I kind of meant more from the societal and/or economic side of things.

Like, how many companies just collapsed after the Snap? I'm saying I'm slightly surprised the servers are still running more than anything.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
And they predicted the OG map coming back in 2023 lol.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Like, how many companies just collapsed after the Snap? I'm saying I'm slightly surprised the servers are still running more than anything.

I meant this thread from a real-world context, but I'll respond to this because I had the same thoughts back then.
My opinion on this has changed a little bit since 2019: I thought the companies and servers would be gone too.

But then Musk Thanos snapped Twitter, and it's been limping on for a year now. The only outages that happen are when Musk does something stupid, for the most part. So I see there being this demand for entertainment in that universe, and people or companies keeping the lights on. And for at least some games, it's manageable.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from that perspective. I kind of meant more from the societal and/or economic side of things.

I feel there's quite a few interesting stories to tell during the 5 year Snap, but idk if Marvel/Disney ever did or will do anything with it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Of course it's still here. That game's cultural moment might be over, but it's still gonna be around for a long time afterward like World of Warcraft when it was 10 years old. Now can it make it to twenty like WoW will this year, who knows.

Also funnily enough, my friends and I actually just started playing it again after almost 5 years away from it.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
I mean to be fair in the same time frame so many other battle royales came out, peaked and then dropped off. I can't really fault people for thinking Fortnite wouldn't have longevity.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
5 years isn't really that long in the grand scheme. The turning point will be when the kids who grew up playing it are old enough for the next generation to start dunking on em. Then it'll just be an old person's game

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
5 years isn't really that long in the grand scheme. The turning point will be when the kids who grew up playing it are old enough for the next generation to start dunking on em. Then it'll just be an old person's game
Didn't happened with Minecraft or Roblox

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Was so confused what OP was saying. Read the title, the opening text, the first two quotes - it was the 3rd quote when it hit me you mean ppl inside Endgame were playing Fortnite in 2023. Thought this was about some in-Fortnite collab. I don't even remember this scene lol.
Like I'm so confused right now that I'm getting upset. It's almost as if the OP knew how confusing they were being by wording the post like that and it's actually fucking with me. It is very rare for me to be upset before finishing the first page in a thread. Lol

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is an Endgame Thor skin.

960x0.jpg

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I voted "Kinda" but I was more in an inbetween of "Yes" and "Kinda". I didn't give a second thought to people still playing Fortnite in 5 years, but I probably would have guessed it's popularity would have dropped a bit rather than be just as big if not bigger. That said I definitely didn't think most people would have moved on.

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
Like I'm so confused right now that I'm getting upset. It's almost as if the OP knew how confusing they were being by wording the post like that and it's actually fucking with me. It is very rare for me to be upset before finishing the first page in a thread. Lol
Why are you upset some of us are not quick issok my fellow smooth brained friend

Please pick one of what you like from these to be un-upset again but not cuddle bear. Cuddle bear is mine ❤️
4c466713-d984-47be-8dcb-062ecacf71d6.png

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I meant this thread from a real-world context, but I'll respond to this because I had the same thoughts back then.
My opinion on this has changed a little bit since 2019: I thought the companies and servers would be gone too.

But then Musk Thanos snapped Twitter, and it's been limping on for a year now. The only outages that happen are when Musk does something stupid, for the most part. So I see there being this demand for entertainment in that universe, and people or companies keeping the lights on. And for at least some games, it's manageable.
The difference there being it was a single company which was gutted. We're talking every company in every industry suddenly being half-staffed and with no pattern or preference as to who was still around.

The real fiction of Endgame is that the world didn't completely tear itself apart in the first month after the Snap.

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
i hope those posters on a marvel thread from five years ago take accountability for the things they said (thinking fortnite wouldn't be popular in five years) and release a formal apology

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you upset some of us are not quick issok my fellow smooth brained friend

Please pick one of what you like from these to be un-upset again but not cuddle bear. Cuddle bear is mine ❤️
4c466713-d984-47be-8dcb-062ecacf71d6.png
Ooooh the teddy bear looks nice!~

...wait! NO! FUCK THAT. I'm angry >:'c

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Again though...remember Pokemon?
Well, I'd intended to jokingly drop the CoD/pokemon intended audience meme but reddit images no longer seem to work here and the Internet is now flooded with brony variants. Every day it feels like the web becomes more of a pita to use lol. But yes some stuff is evergreen to an extent. I dunno if Fortnite will be but it's doing OK so far. I guess it's a question of whether something to dethrone it arrives.
Didn't happened with Minecraft or Roblox
Yeah some titles have an evergreen sense. I dunno if Fortnite will be one of em but stuff like GTA online refuses to die and honestly, it's filled to the brim with stuff I'd personally consider poorly designed so it's not like I'd be a good judge of what makes an evergreen title.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The difference there being it was a single company which was gutted. We're talking every company in every industry suddenly being half-staffed and with no pattern or preference as to who was still around.

The real fiction of Endgame is that the world didn't completely tear itself apart in the first month after the Snap.
Something to remember is that the Snap took people at random. Though it would be statistically unlikely that a dev team as large as Fortnite's wouldn't have lost a decent amount of people, it's still also statistically possible they could have lost very few or even literally no one because that's how random odds work. Unless I'm misremembering how the Snap worked.

Agreed about the last sentence though.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I went from not playing Fortnite to playing it pretty regularly in those five years.

Did think the scene was annoying and I hate what they did with Thor in that movie, but I'm glad to be on board the Fortnite train myself.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Something to remember is that the Snap took people at random. Though it would be statistically unlikely that a dev team as large as Fortnite's wouldn't have lost a decent amount of people, it's still also statistically possible they could have lost very few or even literally no one because that's how random odds work. Unless I'm misremembering how the Snap worked.

Agreed about the last sentence though.
Right, which is why I said "slightly" surprised.

It's a luck of draw in that regard, but it's still pretty shocking when you look at the world and it looks like a dystopia in some shots, but apparently, everything was just a bump in the road politically and economically.