Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
When companies like Uber get their autonomous fleets deployed, they're going to have a decision to make. Do they put something in the driver's seat like a Johnny Cab from Total Recall or do they leave the space empty? From a practical standpoint it won't make much difference but I wonder if people will be weirded out getting into a car with nothing sitting behind the wheel.

I suppose it would be a good spot for a corporate mascot.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Came in for the Johnny Cab gif, but at least you mentioned him.

And yes, I'd want some kind of robot there to chat with

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It won't be a driver's seat. It'll be a passenger seat to increase capacity.

People will be "weirded out" getting into a car without a driver for, like, the first two times, and then it's normal. It's not a feeling that needs a permanent design fix.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
Total-Recall-Johnny-Cab.jpg

There's no other way

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Empty. Nobody needs a mannequin creeping us the fuck out in cab rides, taking up space and adding weight.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
You could have a Johnny Cab, but it would probably be cheaper to just put an integrated screen that's viewable by the back seat, and put some sort of interactive digital cab driver there.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, let me sit there with the steering wheel so I feel like I can have some control over not dying even though the computer will have better reaction times than me.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, you don't even have to have separated front seats, you could have a connected three seats like in the back row.
It'll be weird for about two seconds, it's like being on the second floor of a double decker bus.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
No way they pass up the possibility to utilize more space for more passengers and more money.

Edit: Hell they'll probably have some sort of concession stand where you can buy drinks and food, or watch TV.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
No. It makes it more difficult for me to hijack the vehicle and get my ass to mars.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, rear-facing seats. Like, I'm always uncomfortable interacting with people, but it's even worse when we're trying to carry on a conversation with everyone strapped into two rows facing the same direction.