• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fredescu

Oct 25, 2017
While it's fresh in my mind, here are some things I liked about TLJ:

- The feeling multiple times that the rebellion was dead. And in the end they kind of were, making for an interesting set up for the next movie, without being a cliffhanger.
- I really liked Rose. For some reason she felt a lot more natural than Finn. She should have gone for the full pash on Finn though
- Yoda, very briefly, was the cheeky arsehole from the originals and not just another pompous jedi who just happens to talk funny like he was in the prequels
- Luke surviving the barrage wasn't just "Jedi's are invincible" but an actually clever idea from Luke. Kylo probably should have known what Luke was doing, but he was so clouded by rage that he didn't stop and think. They often talk about rage clouding judgement in the series, but I think this might be the best example of it actually happening, and they didn't even need to spell it out afterwards.
- I think Kylo Ren is possibly the best dark side character of the whole series. He shows his rage a lot better and you believe the inner conflict because of the strength of the acting and not just because the dialog tells you so.
- The codebreaker actually followed through on his amorality and sold out the good guys, rather than him just magically becoming a good guy because it would make us feel good
- Mutiny and conflict among the rebellion, because that would happen for sure if they had their backs to the walls, but it would be easy in the star wars universe to paint the good guys as being nice to each other 100% of the time
- Fucking lightspeed ramming collision thing wuhoo!
- The ambiguity of the luke/kylo flashback. Kylo saw rage, Luke felt shame.

I won't bother talking about the things I didn't like because you can get that anywhere. I don't hold out any hope that we will ever get an "awesome" star wars movie, but they're decent entertainment. I'll probably keep going yearly.

OP
OP
jambo

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
God that one light speed bit in TLJ might just be my favourite scene/shot in the entire franchise and maybe all of science fiction.

Good lord.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's a pretty good summary of the things to like about TLJ.

As you said, there's plenty to dislike too, but I'd rather focus on the positives.

Something that occurred to me while rewatching TFA the other day was that so many of the problems with the setting of this new trilogy would have been resolved if it was just the new republic vs remnants of the Empire rather than some nondescript resistance vs hokey bad guys the New order

Jables Swan

Oct 27, 2017
Lightspeed bit was amazing. Seriously made the cinema all go silent and then let out a gasp/yelp of excitement and awe.

OP
OP
jambo

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
I also never loved that in TFA the Republic got blown up, almost off camera.

There's a single shot of some people on a planet watching the laser come in to kill them.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
God that one light speed bit in TLJ might just be my favourite scene/shot in the entire franchise and maybe all of science fiction.

Good lord.

i'm still amazed
a lightspeed ram hadn't been done before in SW. Surely it must have ocured before somewhere in the EU?

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone's thoughts on this goose that was busted in Bali with meth and ecstasy?

Sounds like a right dickhead.
any Australian who knowingly takes drugs in Bali knowing what happened to the Bali 9 and Corby is a fucking idiot. You know exactly how harsh they can and will be if they catch you, if you do it and get caught then you should be getting zero sympathy from anyone here.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing I love better than sucking off and idealizing our corporate overlords with concept store churches to worship them in

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
i'm still amazed
a lightspeed ram hadn't been done before in SW. Surely it must have ocured before somewhere in the EU?
Even the characters themselves were legit shook when they realised what it was that Holdo was doing.

It was a missed opportunity, I feel, that they didn't just set the majority of the movie on board the ships. The forays down to the gambling planet, for instance took too long and robbed that arc of much-needed tension. Problem is, that sort of desperate chase story would have been better suited for a different franchise.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017

I hate that dumb political speak; "Revitalise the area", it is already a successful area you dumb shits. I like Fed Square, ACMI, NGV Ian Potter centre and the public space are fab. It is going to give the perpetual shits having to see fucking Apple take such a predominant place in the square.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I went to my first work christmas do in probably close to a decade. It was pretty cool (held in the Cambridge Union Hall- basically a really old debating chamber). Work being work, there were fucking firebreathing performers outside on the lawn. Such a change from when we used to go to Wet and Wild every year.

Flying back home for Xmas. Not looking forward going from 3 degrees to 33 degrees.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being denied our culture?

THAT'S A BLOODY OUTRAGE IT IS.

We're gonna take this all the way to the Prime Minister.

anigif_enhanced-19925-1436319879-2.gif

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
We're gonna take this all the way to the Prime Minister.
"The laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that. The laws of ResetEra are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia."

... I believe we have an 'insider' on the mod team in the form of JaseC, so we could just @ them or report roosters' post with a 'please answer this' message attached.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
That ban seems a bit harsh
Looks like just a warning. Maybe it got downgraded.

I don't like to swear in professional situations because I don't like to cultivate bad habits I could bring home to my son. Last year, when I was working on a construction site, I had the cleanest language in the team. At one point the construction manager said to me "You know, just once, I'd like to hear you call someone a c*nt."

"It'd sound so weird coming out of my mouth, I don't think anyone would take me seriously."

"So you never swear at all?"

"I swear! Just not often."

"Alright, why don't you say c*nt right now?"

"... I'd rather not."

EDIT: On topic, obese has become a pretty loaded term. It's what happens when lay people start using medical jargon. Same thing happened with the words moron, idiot, cripple and so forth.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Looks like just a warning. Maybe it got downgraded.

I don't like to swear in professional situations because I don't like to cultivate bad habits I could bring home to my son. Last year, when I was working on a construction site, I had the cleanest language in the team. At one point the construction manager said to me "You know, just once, I'd like to hear you call someone a c*nt."

"It'd sound so weird coming out of my mouth, I don't think anyone would take me seriously."

"So you never swear at all?"

"I swear! Just not often."

"Alright, why don't you say c*nt right now?"

"... I'd rather not."

EDIT: On topic, obese has become a pretty loaded term. It's what happens when lay people start using medical jargon. Same thing happened with the words moron, idiot, cripple and so forth.
I probably just misread it as a banning.

On topic: My initial reaction to the story is to be annoyed and frustrated at "political correctness gone mad", but then I think back to some of the research that I read when I worked at Queensland Health about confrontational health campaigns and how they don't work and I can see the sense in the approach being recommended.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Considering how badly our health has been going over the last few decades I'd hate to see them remove obese for something nicer sounding. Weight is important and pussy footing around it is a bad idea IMO. It's fucking hard to get into a consistent mindset to lose weight, having a medical professional tell me a professional medical term is a good thing, not a bad thing. Maybe that ties into the whole 'people these days don't believe/trust doctors' idea.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Considering how badly our health has been going over the last few decades I'd hate to see them remove obese for something nicer sounding. Weight is important and pussy footing around it is a bad idea IMO. It's fucking hard to get into a consistent mindset to lose weight, having a medical professional tell me a professional medical term is a good thing, not a bad thing. Maybe that ties into the whole 'people these days don't believe/trust doctors' idea.
The research I mentioned before talked about how campaigns designed to shock people, like graphic car accident and anti-smoking campaigns, merely turn the target market away. They do make people who make the right choices feel good about themselves, but have very little effect on the problem.

As I said, my first reaction was to dismiss it as stupid political correctness, but the research was pretty clear. If you make people feel negative about their problems, they will shut off and not listen to the message. If you make people feel positive about something, they will be much more likely to do something to help themselves.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
When a doctor says the word "obese", they have a very specific meaning in mind with clear medical definitions and symptoms. When your mum hears "obese", she thinks the doctor is calling her a pig.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
A car hit a number of pedestrians near Flinders St station, the driver has been arrested, more details are unclear.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Paramedics are assessing 12 people on the scene and two people have been sent to hospital, including a preschooler.

EDIT: Figures at time of edit are 12 people injured at scene and 7 taken to hospital.

Last edited:

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
There are no signs of a connection to terrorism. It appears to be related to drugs and mental illness.

The second arrestee was recording video and had knives on them. It is quite possible there is no connection between them.