For US politics and election threads
May 31, 2022
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
The Hill has reported that VP Harris if elected told CNN that she would consider appointing a Republican to her cabinet:

Loading…

Vice President Harris said Thursday she would look to appoint a Republican to a Cabinet position if she wins the presidency in November.

"I've got 68 days to go with this election, so I'm not putting the cart before the horse," Harris told CNN's Dana Bash. "But I would, I think. I think it's really important."

Harris, who sat down with CNN for her first interview since becoming President Biden ended his campaign, told Bash that having a GOP official in her Cabinet would help her fulfill her pledge to be a president for all Americans. She did not name any individuals she would consider.

"I think it's important to have people at the table — when some of the most important decisions are being made — that have different views, different experiences," Harris said. "And I think it would be to the benefit of the American public to have a member of my Cabinet who was a Republican."

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a fantastic move, but also she is trying to win and convince over swing voters in 2-3 key states in the midwest, and many are obsessed with "balance" in government. My opinion is that she can do no wrong between now and being elected. After she wins, there will be time for critique. Until then, any complaints/doomposting are bad and can only hurt.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Given the fact we've seen so many life-long Republicans who are not MAGA and far right nuts come out in support of Kamala, yeah I'm not surprised she is saying this.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Is this going to be another Obama era thing where a Dem president will waste time reaching out across the aisle?

Just go scorched earth if you manage to control all three levels of government.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
She needs Republicans to vote for her, so yeah, of course she'd say this

Shouting FUCK REPUBLICANS isn't going to help her campaign, as much as I'm sure she'd like to lol

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Sure appoint a centrist to def sec. Seems like the playbook for other Democratic presidents in the past.

You just know Trump is going to appoint Tulsi or anti-vaccine man to a cabinet post and claim he's appointing a democrat.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I don't think this is (or should be) controversial, really. Select positions can be fine and not every R is a MAGA nepo baby. Like, Department of Education should probably not be run by a Republican, but Transporation, Defense, Treasury, Agriculture, Veteran's Affairs, National Intelligence, Small Business Administration... idk. Pick one. But "consider" is a lot of heavy lifting anyway. They have to be vetted and approved all the same.

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finally a smart politician. There must be a lot of republican moderates that can help her build bridges. Politics should be like this, not idiots isolating the other side every 4 years.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
That person in the meeting that always gets skipped over (rightfully so if they think 2+2=5, etc. but maybe it will be someone normal). I agree with her though.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
There must be a lot of republican moderates that can help her build bridges.
Could you name even one?

I know there are some NeverTrumpers, but they are usually not actually moderate themselves. For example, much of Trump's first hundred days in 2017 was actually from the Romney plan for his first hundred days.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
It is the easiest win of all time for a politician to say they would consider appointing someone of the other party. Voters love that shit.

We don't even need to speculate about who she means… she sure didn't.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Is this going to be another Obama era thing where a Dem president will waste time reaching out across the aisle?

Just go scorched earth if you manage to control all three levels of government.

Kamala Harris is certainly not that candidate. This is a Biden lite campaign set to stroll music, baby.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
It's the right message and adheres to what she's has has been saying in her campaign mission (so far) about wanting to be a US president for ALL Americans. She's making all the right moves. Back to the basics

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck them. A Republican would never do this for their administration. Democrats need to stop play these high minded games of cooperation. Appoint a partisan cabinet and get their agenda accomplished.

Oct 26, 2017
Who even is still a Republican at this point that's worth a damn? All of them have turned independent

Edit: I guess Phil Scott

Jan 15, 2019
I feel like day by day Harris and her campaign have been misunderstanding why there was such an initial burst of enthusiasm around her.

Nov 2, 2017
This is the kind of Aaron Sorkin-brained bullshit that makes me feel like a goddamn fool for ever feeling any sort of hope when Harris took over the ticket. The clear support for continued genocide, the clear rightward shift in the Democratic platform compared to 2020, spending a large chunk of one night highlighting genuinely right-wing folks like the QAnon-adjacent "protect the children" sheriff, that "most lethal military" crack, all of this drives me deeper and deeper from "eh, I don't really like her policy but Harris will be fine" to "I genuinely fucking despise Kamala Harris".

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you think she'd say "no i hope all gop choke lol" on an interview with cnn?

of course she'd say she'd consider it

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Mitt Romney is staring at his glass-bowl covered rotary phone like a high schooler.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Key word being *consider*. She didn't say she would select a Republican for her cabinet. She said she would consider it.

And then say no

Fact Check: Thread title is misleading. Here's why that's bad for Harris.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
its not ideal but its a pretty standard thing to say. The reality is that the election is probably going to be decided by a few thousand people in a handful of states, many of whom consider themselves "undecideds" or "swing voters" or "moderates" who can probably be swayed by shit like this.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Highly doubt any Republican incumbant would either be asked the same question or be willing to extend that hand across the aisle, but whatever.

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cabinet position. I don't think we need to freak out if she appoints an ex or moderate Republican to one of the lesser roles. She needs to play the game to get elected

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
They gonna appoint a John McCain hologram as a White House gift shop greeter.