TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
If they were smart they'd produce a short documentary on the guy
No amount of information presented is going to satisfy the racists who have an issue with Yasuke being in the game. It would be dismissed as bias and the goalposts would simply be moved to something else.

All while ignoring the other Japanese protagonist present in the game.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I hesitate to think this is solely about Yasuke. I've spoken to a Japanese friend about this myself, and they feel that Ubisoft's research about Japan is quite lacking. Their impression is that when it comes to being accurate to other cultures, Ubisoft is great, but there are a number of things in Assasin's Creed Shadows that feels very Hollywood-ish/Chinese.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your friend thinks this because they're not part of the other cultures.

Which isn't to say their complaints aren't valid, but I don't believe for a second that other AC games don't have loads of innacuracies.

Oct 26, 2017
No amount of information presented is going to satisfy the racists who have an issue with Yasuke being in the game. It would be dismissed as bias and the goalposts would simply be moved to something else.

All while ignoring the other Japanese protagonist present in the game.
Oh I didn't mean it to satisfy them, I mean it as a "fuck you" to them. However, I do think a lot of people aren't aware he's based on an actual historical figure.

Oct 29, 2017
This is definitely going to amplify the whole thing, especially that they said Yasuke is "matter of debate and discussion" as far as samurai status go.

Well that part is literally true as far as I'm aware.

But all they have to say is "Our game is historical fiction. In our game he is unambiguously a samurai."

The real life debate is as inconsequential to their story as real life debates over the relationship between Cesare and Lucrezia Borgia, or George Washington's opinions about native Americans, or any number of other historical ideas that the series has touched on in the past.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Are you sure you read through those posts? I've stated at the beginning of the post: 'Of course, what is expressed in these, and what led to UBI offering an apology, are not the same thing'. These criticisms are NOT support for Chuds views. Isn't that clear enough?

from post 1

from post 2

And who said any of the points criticizing AC in those posts didn't apply to GoT?

from post 1:

If people do not want to engage in more complex conversation about this, that is fine. I was aware that more complex discussions on this topic could be simplified, reconstructed, and misinterpreted by others, just like here in these two posts, reducing everything wrongly to "why do you guys said GoT is OK but AC isn't". yet I nevertheless shared them. One of the posts was mine, and one was by another poster; I can't speak for the other poster, but if anyone wants a more in-depth conversation of my post, I welcome it.

The basic claim I stated was as clear as it could be: I support Yasuke as the protagonist, but I believe there are other cultural issues with this game. I've stated that I welcome additional conversation, but if people somehow believe that this is still the smoking gun of racism, then there is no point in engaging and you should leave me the fuck alone.

I'm very thankful that you didn't dismiss what I posted.
Y'know if this was really about historical inaccuracies in AC Shadows then maybe these posts would have merit but they don't because this isn't about those inaccuracies, it's about Yasuke.

Hence why I'm very suspicious about ppl bringing these inaccuracies up and seemingly attempting to frame this Ubisoft statement and the "controversy" surrounding this game as something solely or mostly about those inaccuracies.

Are there historical inaccuracies in this game? Yes sure as there were with previous AC games. That's nothing remarkable and it's irrelevant here because this is about Yasuke.

Jul 21, 2024
This is maybe the worst way they could have gone about handling this. No chud will be won over and to everyone else it looks like a desperate appeal to the people who have been bitching about this on social media. Who greenlit this move?

vernacherMV

Feb 5, 2021
What's the saying if you give an inch they'll take a mile. Felt like the so called "controversy" was dying down on its own.

Last edited:

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your friend thinks this because they're not part of the other cultures.

Which isn't to say their complaints aren't valid, but I don't believe for a second that other AC games don't have loads of innacuracies.

Yeah, you would be right. They're just Japanese. And I have heard that other Assassin's Creed games have caused controversy in the past among the French, for example. I haven't looked into that though.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how none of these chuds were up in arms about AC:Valhalla, which presented the invading colonising Vikings as the saviours of the poor English who just needed to be conquered to have a better life.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While a lot of the criticism about historical inaccuracy is being done in bad faith, things like "why are these different seasonal flowers being shown in the same season" and "the architectural style is wrong" are very similar to complaints AC Valhalla faced for using Greek-style architecture in Roman ruins (likely re-purposed assets from AC Odyssey) or having full blown giant stone castles in an era when motte and bailey timber designs should have been present instead.

"Rule of cool" has been a thing in AC since the start. Pope fight anyone?

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Y'know if this was really about historical inaccuracies in AC Shadows then maybe these posts would have merit but they don't because this isn't about those inaccuracies, it's about Yasuke.

Hence why I'm very suspicious about ppl bringing these inaccuracies up and seemingly attempting to frame this Ubisoft statement and the "controversy" surrounding this game as something solely or mostly about those inaccuracies.

Yes, it appears that you now recognize that those posts are about more specific cultural issues (and, again, the conversation I've made is far more than 'historical inaccuracy'); they are not echoes of Chuds' rejection of Yasuke as the protagonist. Those posts stem from another conversation in another thread. I shared them here since poster asked if there were legitimate concerns outside of the Chuds talk points.

Hence your prior post 'they are not slick', which implied indirectly and mistakenly that what I wrote was the same claim made by chuds to incite racist hatred, was very frustrating.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Surprising number of people here "just asking questions" about "inaccuracies"

Colink

May 23, 2022
France
And I have heard that other Assassin's Creed games have caused controversy in the past among the French, for example.
The biggest criticism regarding Unity I've ever seen was the centrist (at best) stance on the revolution (which is a common position in far right french movements). This Polygon article highlights these issues : https://www.polygon.com/2014/11/17/...ity-denounced-in-france-as-anti-revolutionary
But it is not comparable, doing fascist revisionism is not the same as "embellishing reality" and "being inaccurate" (the issue here for these chuds is that you HAVE to play as a black man when the game is set in Japan)

I'm pretty disappointed in them deciding to even adress this. AC has never been a documentary game, it has never been presented as such, and as a result they should not even have to mention that their game (which I bet will have skills allowing the player to do "super hero like" movement/actions, just like every post-reboot AC) is not a documentary.
The base of this discussion is rooted in racism and misogyny and should only be treated as such (like the plague and shunned). But I guess you can not expect Ubisoft to have a decent position on this subject when Yves is still at the helm and sheltering his abusive friends.

Seaside

Keeper of the White Materia
May 1, 2023
I don't know whether or not it was a good idea to address it but I appreciate that they requested that people don't go after their collaborators. And I also appreciate that they specified they were addressing the Japanese community, which I read as a deliberate effort to at least act like they weren't responding to western audiences with racist motivations

I have to say I think it's pretty ridiculous seeing such open dismissal here of what some of the Japanese audience has been saying about the game. If you're informed on the points being raised by them and think they're bullshit, that's totally fine but say that directly - don't pretend that literally nobody over there cares, or state that without knowing if it's true or not.

Dyno98

Banned
Jun 3, 2022
User banned (permanent): Downplaying racism
So, can someone explain to me why most of the gaming community never seemed to have an issue with Connor, Aveline, Adewalé or Bayek but now that Yasuke is being criticized it's a race problem? Can we just acknowledge that Ubisoft wanted a quick easy PR win and it has backfired on them? It's no coincidence that after 13 main entries and over 8 spin offs (and a movie) this is the first time that Ubisoft has decided that the player character will be a historical figure.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I don't think they needed to bother addressing anything but that's an awful lot of words to say "Shut the fuck up and walk into the ocean, you weird little racist creeps"

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
So, can someone explain to me why most of the gaming community never seemed to have an issue with Connor, Aveline, Adewalé or Bayek but now that Yasuke is being criticized it's a race problem? Can we just acknowledge that Ubisoft wanted a quick easy PR win and it has backfired on them? It's no coincidence that after 13 main entries and over 8 spin offs (and a movie) this is the first time that Ubisoft has decided that the player character will be a historical figure.
Oh...100%. But after all the shit Ubisoft has pulled over the years (especially internally) the move makes complete sense.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
They shouldn't even have responded . I think Yasuke is a bad choice because he's a real person but all of that other stuff is nonsense that ppl are just adding when they'd never care before

Did you miss Nioh drama?
There was Nioh drama? Was it even mainstream enough for those type of ppl to start screaming about ?

I don't know whether or not it was a good idea to address it but I appreciate that they requested that people don't go after their collaborators. And I also appreciate that they specified they were addressing the Japanese community, which I read as a deliberate effort to at least act like they weren't responding to western audiences with racist motivations

I have to say I think it's pretty ridiculous seeing such open dismissal here of what some of the Japanese audience has been saying about the game. If you're informed on the points being raised by them and think they're bullshit, that's totally fine but say that directly - don't pretend that literally nobody over there cares, or state that without knowing if it's true or not.
From what I've read in Japanese the concerns are more about historical accuracy with things in the setting and whatnot . Not really about Yasuke , he's already in plenty of Japanese media in different positions and whatnot .

Being mad that Yasuke is a main character is mostly westerner's

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022
Yasuke was a real person who existed in the exact period and interacted with the characters that AC Shadows story is looking to depict. Like what are we talking about.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really bad move from ubisoft.

No matter what they say, the people that is making noise online wont stop. They dont want an apology, they want the character to be completely removed from the game.

This only wil fuel them with "we are winning! we need to keep pushing further!"

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They honestly shouldn't have said anything, especially this much. They've unnecessarily legitimized a pointless movement by a group of idiots who don't care how many times you prove them wrong. It's a never ending battle you don't really have to fight. If Ubisoft is confident in their creative choices, they should just shut up and let the game speak for them instead of trying to justify everything to morons.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
This is a really bad move from ubisoft.

No matter what they say, the people that is making noise online wont stop. They dont want an apology, they want the character to be completely removed from the game.

This only wil fuel them with "we are winning! we need to keep pushing further!"

yup already see them congregating over this an pushing for ubi to cut Yasuke's content as a whole lol. Bunch of clowns

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I think there was no need to do any sort of damage control about this since most Japanese people seem, from what I've seen, pretty damn happy about what the dev team is doing here. It's mostly Western dudes being pissed about whatever they're pissed about now.

Still, Assassin's Creed has never been a completely historically accurate series, so what they're saying here is "we're just doing the same thing we've always done".
I agree and your second point is very true. Historical accuracy has always been played with from the very start so why is it now a problem? Because one of the history characters is a main character? Freaking sad arguments being made against this game.

Surprising number of people here "just asking questions" about "inaccuracies"
Yup and how many of them have actually kept up with the series where now this is a point of contention given everything the franchise has done from the jump. Curious.

A quick and easy PR win as if games don't take several years to make from who knows how many concepts? Even IF then why is it suddenly an issue of "historical accuracy"? Is it really because instead of being a side character he's a main character? Is that really where the line gets drawn?

TLDR: the gaming industry has no spine to ostracize alt right racist assholes because something something every dollar matters. So we are forced to make a bullshit statement to placate them because every customer matters!

God… I'm so sick of these motherfuckers! We need to start making bigots uncomfortable again instead of placating them! Fuck every one of these people!

Shroomush

Jul 16, 2024
A PR statement that doesn't address the whole issue, very bad response imo. Not posting that would have been better.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that this is the controversy with this game and not the fact the game director is an abuser. But of course the people who manufactured this controversy doesn't see abuse as a problem.

Oct 27, 2017

How is it not a race problem? "DEI Black guy" Totally nothing to do with race:

21k likes for this racist tweet.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Addressing this as to "our Japanese community" is nonsense, this is almost exclusively a white American meltdown. Japanese players seem unanimously OK with Yasuke.
Ehhh.... I agree a large percentage of them are not Japanese, but a lot of hatred is coming from Japanese gamers. Japan is not the bastion of antiracism that many people assume it is.

Yasuke is dope though, I'm excited to play as him.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh.... I agree a large percentage of them are not Japanese, but a lot of hatred is coming from Japanese gamers. Japan is not the bastion of antiracism that many people assume it is.

Yasuke is dope though, I'm excited to play as him.
It is less about Japan being a bastion of antiracism and more that they dont caring about this at all. Assassins Creed isnt a big IP there to begin with. Also most of the Japanese gamers that are hating are the onest that are being influenced by western opinions.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
They can genuinely fuck off for giving the "outrage" air.

You can't say they couldn't expect the vitriol from losers since it's regarding a black historical character in a much-awaited Japanese-centric AC.

It would be better if they didn't bother in the first place.

Last edited:

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
Ignore the trolls don't feed them, but I don't fault Ubi for doing this response.

I feel bad for them this one times seems they can't win one, people giving them a ton of shit over them making a response doesn't seem cool to me. Like maybe they shouldn't have aired it more, but are we really mad and giving them real shit for commenting on and pushing back on the bigotry?

I am so excited and I am there day 1.

Dyno98

Banned
Jun 3, 2022
Yasuke was a real person who existed in the exact period and interacted with the characters that AC Shadows story is looking to depict. Like what are we talking about.
Did you even read my post? I'm talking that this is the first time that an AC game uses a historical figure as a player character for a game (now you'll mention the DLC for Syndicate where you play as
Jack the Ripper
for a total of one hour) instead of interacting with them as every other Asassin's Creed has done before. We are talking that it's a breaking of previous conventions in an effort to get a quick easy PR win and just when they realized it wouldn't be so easy, they back down and talk about his misterious background making him an ideal protagonist.
A quick and easy PR win as if games don't take several years to make from who knows how many concepts? Even IF then why is it suddenly an issue of "historical accuracy"? Is it really because instead of being a side character he's a main character? Is that really where the line gets drawn?
Yes? It is? Player characters in AC have always been OCs, that was one of the non written rules about the franchise. Naoe is an OC. It tended to help the suspension of disbelief that these superhuman characters doing all kind of crazy stuff where written out of history because they wanted to be, and the actual historical characters were the ones adjacent to them, such as Leonardo da Vinci, Napoleon, Julius Caesar, Macchiavelo, Jacques de Molay, Darwin and a long etc.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
There is no need to bury one's head in the sand and think that every internet culture backlash has been solely driven by Western white chuds. The earth does not revolve around the United States. For example, there are quite a few Japanese YouTubers who have recently created dozens of videos regarding this topic. A song one Japanese YouTuber wrote on this topic became semi-viral and had nearly 2 million views.

View: https://youtu.be/gLxQJPq8OJI?si=f_JkeoZN3AF0q7_F

Watched the beginning bit of this and oof. They're blaming this on Sweet Baby Inc, so that dumbfuckery is truly universal. Also I've dicked around with Suno enough to know that song is clearly AI generated.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It is less about Japan being a bastion of antiracism and more that they dont caring about this at all. Assassins Creed isnt a big IP there to begin with. Also most of the Japanese gamers that are hating are the onest that are being influenced by western opinions.
Do you live in Japan or speak Japanese? I'm curious how you know?

I'm surprised the Japanese historian who chimed in few days ago because of all the talk (according to him), chose to adress the western chuds with a tweet written in Japanese.

Also seems like there's been some interest in the franchise even before they had a game set in Japan

While Shadows seem to have decent chances to move some copies too (for a western game)

View: https://x.com/spieltimes/status/1792460553325260977?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1792460553325260977%7Ctwgr%5E8c7e7e8f8e55951399ca904940b01f0083585677%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2Ftech%2Fassassin-creed-shadows-pre-orders-135906095.html

Last edited:

vmk

Sep 13, 2018
Hellcife
Given the controversies Ubi put itself into the last years, i'd be surprised if they would not try to cater into that internet niche who despised Yasuke.

Anyways, they're just giving ammo to those folks until November, in order to generate controversy, and therefore attention to the game's release.

Popoirandi

Feb 25, 2024
Is other media depicting a black samurai or Yasuke met with the same resistant in Japan?
No, Yasuke appears in a lot of fiction but he's usually just acknowledged as a historical figure of the period. The last big games I can think of that he was a character in were Nioh and Samurai Warriors, and people were pretty unbothered.

Lil Bee

Feb 13, 2024
I don't think they needed to bother addressing anything but that's an awful lot of words to say "Shut the fuck up and walk into the ocean, you weird little racist creeps"

I got banned from the AC discord for calling out chuds on their racism in a somewhat more polite and palatable manner. Fuck 'em, ubi can dig their own grave for all I care. I'll just be over here enjoying the game in peace.