• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently started going into Valhalla and Origins, and noticed immediately how bad the audio in these games is.

Everything sounds like it was recorded in a cave. When Eivor or Bayek speak even in the vast open world their voices sound like they are bouncing off cave walls. This must be a bug, right?

I noticed this on PS5 Valhalla and PC Origins, so it can't possibly be a platform specific issue, and I tested both with TV audio and two separate headsets.

On Google fu search this comes up often across all of the 3 latest releases as a common issue.

This leads me to believe without a shadow of a doubt that Ubisoft 100% pays off review outlets to not bring up and ignore this issue in reviews. There is no way anyone playing these games could not only notice these problems but be completely taken out of the game. I even have other audio issues like walking in water puddles but no audio sounds for footsteps let alone wet plop ones. I've had no music play for hours even when set to high frequency.

Has anyone ever found a fix for this or a mod ?

How is a AAA franchise able to get away with such a glaring issue ? This isn't even a nitpicking thing. It's like watching a Marvel movie but through a tin can with a string.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've played 1/2/4/Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, and it's been shit in all of the. I don't understand. It's always been noticeably bad.

OP
OP
Arsic

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played 1/2/4/Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, and it's been shit in all of the. I don't understand. It's always been noticeably bad.

I can't recall back to older ones but never noticed it then. I completed 1,2, black flag and I would've immediately noticed this level of awful audio.

How can a company be so willing to ignore something so in your face...or well ears ?

squeaky

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. Never noticed it in Origins, or any of the entries that came before. In fact I remember booting up AC2 as the first game I played with 5.1 and being blown away by the crowd sounds, but it's been a long time.

Edit: I just realized you used "cave walls" as an example. I don't think I've ever heard realistic "dry" sound in an open world game before.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Blasphemy to many here, but I got the plat for both Origins and Odyssey playing through my TV speakers at low volume with subtitles. LOL Sorry that I'm part of the problem. I used to care deeply about audio in games though. In a way I still do, but mostly in terms of music quality/composition. When I'm listening to OSTs outside of games, I have an amp and nice headphones (and in my 'previous life', I had expensive floorstanding speakers and gear), but playing games these days, the audio portion is probably lowest on my 'sensory priority' list.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty bad, I'm Valhalla I turned off 3D audio immediately. It's a vast improvement, but a vast improvement over crap isn't saying much.

Jul 26, 2018
Wow I don't understand Jack shit about sound but this is a great read! It's a pity that the reddit OP suggest that Ubisoft could reexport sound without such an aggressive compression and have it as an optional downloadable. If they're really limiting themselves because of physical distribution, why didn't they make it an optional and even possibly post launch pack?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I don't understand Jack shit about sound but this is a great read! It's a pity that the reddit OP suggest that Ubisoft could reexport sound without such an aggressive compression and have it as an optional downloadable. If they're really limiting themselves because of physical distribution, why didn't they make it an optional and even possibly post launch pack?
99% use tv speakers just like 99% have airpods or whatever, its the farthest thing from a priority and it can be easily cheaped out on. Ive personally never seen a complaint thread on this until Valhalla came out.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As a reviewer it always bugs me how almost no reviews talk about this. The vocal recordings in the most recent Assassin's Creed games are compressed to hell and back which makes them sound awful and low quality. But seeing as hardly anyone talks about it I keep thinking it's a me-problem and maybe I shouldn't mention it again in my reviews, lol. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
AC Valhalla had the best soundtrack last year but you won't know it from playing the game.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's dismal and the fact that most people don't seem to care or even notice is part of the problem.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was noticeably awful in Valhalla, I was pretty shocked when I first started it up.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Its as if the audio dudes only get 700 Mb or so for their entire output per game and as they balloon in size the audio gets even more compressed.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I went from Demons Souls to Valhalla and the drop in sound quality was instantly noticeable. I felt like there was something wrong with my headphones and soundbar. I played with different settings and it just always sounded like shit.

Try going from Valhalla to Returnal. It sounds like Returnal is at least 2 generations ahead 😂

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Beggar Woman from AC1 is the prime example that the audio compression has always been terrible in AC.

Crystal Spire

Oct 27, 2017
AC Valhalla had the best soundtrack last year but you won't know it from playing the game.
So fucking true! they brought back Jesper Kyd only to kill his music in-game. The soundtrack is mixed so poorly in the game and it doesn't even play properly because it's bugged since launch and Ubi$oft won't fix it.

The best track in the game is sooo compressed, it's unreal how bad it sounds

Oct 28, 2017
Quite a few games spend a considerable amount of effort to get game audio right and especially at the highest possible fidelity/reproduction quality.
It's insanely shameful to be able to play processing heavy games like Valhalla and end up having a horrible audio experience.

Oct 26, 2017
So fucking true! they brought back Jesper Kyd only to kill his music in-game. The soundtrack is mixed so poorly in the game and it doesn't even play properly because it's bugged since launch and Ubi$oft won't fix it.

What the fuck is the point in hiring one of the best composers in the business if you're going to butcher their music? Kyd's music in particular really needs room to breath.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Valhalla has terrible audio. The ditties that are sung on the boat sound not even remotely like someone singing outdoors in that environment. I thought Odyssey sounded much better.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The audio of the game definitely feels mastered for TV speakers that mostly work in mono-like setup.

So unfortunatel, but it is what it is.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
I assume the audio is compressed to reduce file size but man Valhalla is where I really notice it. They got some solid voice acting muffled and the soundtrack is hilarious how much it messed up

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
This leads me to believe without a shadow of a doubt that Ubisoft 100% pays off review outlets to not bring up and ignore this issue in reviews.

I really doubt they're getting paid to ignore this issue. I assume most of them aren't playing on a high end setup or they don't have a discerning ear for this stuff.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I care about audio quality a lot in media, probably too much tbh, and it was hell for me playing all 3 "new" AC games. I remember it being pretty bad in the older games too. It butchers the hard work the composer's and audio people do for the game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
thought the thread would be about how often dialogue cuts into each other, audio desyncs, voices from far sound too close or the contrary and all that sort of stuff which is very noticeable on the new trilogy and upsets me too. sadly my poor ass still uses an old tv and its speakers so cant talk much about what op wants

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I wholeheartedly agree, the audio in these games has become terrible and Ubi should frankly be embarrassed by it. I was Googling this exact issue when Valhalla came out thinking there was a problem with my settings. I can't believe they just let it slide and I agree that current game reviewers failing to mention this are giving them a free pass. This isn't an audiophile nerd issue only as the Reddit post breaks down.

It speaks to a larger issue I see with Ubi's output in general which I personally feel has become pretty soulless. It's like they figured out every corner they could cut to still get the 80 on Metacritic and the sale to the customer.

OP
OP
Arsic

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The audio of the game definitely feels mastered for TV speakers that mostly work in mono-like setup.

So unfortunatel, but it is what it is.

This and the compression I think is the ticket. It would be why old AC games I never noticed it because I used console/TV speakers. These days I'm normally PC/using a headset. Mind you not cheap ones either with 5.1/7.1 Dolby headsets.

An added issue is there is no sound customization options except the bare minimum. No way to pick a surround sound or headphones options.

I have numerous instances where one headset cup feels like it's blasting 10/10 volume where it can hurt my ear when peaking. This is with volume options turned down a shit ton. The other cup will sound very distant and soft/barely playing audio.

Again, tried a variety of headsets, and other games. Only occurred with Origins and Valhalla for me. I plan to try Odyssey this week to see if it does it too.

For the audio guys in here is there a way to run the PC version of the game but have it use my TV speakers for audio out ? Unsure if this is even possible. Could maybe fix the problem somewhat.

I agree with the posts above that a simple optional audio DLC, no matter the GB size, I would download if it fixed this.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I've played over 75 hours of Assassin's Creed Valhalla and if you told me the game only has 2-3 tracks I would've easily believed you. I don't even remember hearing music while playing the game. It's barely used.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Whoa, "...24,000 Hz sample rate, with a variable bitrate that peaks at around 70 kbps." That's atrocious.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
It's atrocious, it actually made me stop playing Valhalla after just a few hours because it was distractingly bad - 3D audio on and off.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.. glad other people notice this too. It sounds like it was recorded with really poor recording devices, but I imagine that it's just the compression.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, since assasins 1 the series have a VERY questionable audio quality
I think is something up with their engine or idk

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The bad audio is the one thing I immediately noticed when I fired up the PC version of Valhalla over my surround system last year. It's ridiculous considering the budget of these games.

On a similar note, if I recall correctly I also noticed similarly bad audio with Immortals Fenix Rising when I played the PS5 demo earlier this year. I might've mixed something up though.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really notice how bad it was until I upgraded my sound system. I honestly thought something was wrong with my setup until I looked into it more.

OP
OP
Arsic

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fired up Odyssey today and it wasn't AS bad as Origins and Valhalla. Granted I only got to play for about 10 minutes but it seemed better.

Also it is less crappy on my Arctis headset than my Logitech one.

The fact Ubi has been "collecting data" is horse shit. They know the issue is there, it's recreatable by anyone firing up the games on any version.

The flat out truth is they don't want to invest time and money to do proper audio work for their games. It's just that simple.

I took off 2 points off my own personal review of Origins because of it. Bayeks smile kept me around to the end.