Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
www.windowscentral.com

As the streaming industry booms, Microsoft's Mixer remains dead in the water

A report detailing the growth of the video game streaming industry recently showcased how much the stay at home efforts may have boosted viewership, for all but one specific platform, that is.

A report detailing the growth of the video game streaming industry recently showcased how much the stay at home efforts may have boosted viewership, for all but one specific platform, that is.

Did Mixer fuck up putting all their money on Ninja?? I think so.

oXYZxVm.jpg

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Their only hope for growth is to have it natively built into the new Xbox (I know it already is, but I'm thinking closer to the stuff Google showed with Stadia and Youtube).

Oh, and also a native app on Playstation platforms.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, it's actually probably negative if it wasn't for literal paid people (Ninja and such).

Why use mixer when you can use twitch.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I mean I really dunno what they can do at this point. Twitch is massive and clearly not slowing down, and I think Mixer is just so tied to Xbox that people just don't associate it with other platforms like PC or PlayStation.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I mean yeah, it's actually probably negative if it wasn't for literal paid people (Ninja and such).

Why use mixer when you can use twitch.
That's not really the reason though, since more people watched livestreams on YouTube and Facebook. Granted those are also well known sites with a built in userbase but people are still watching live content on those platforms.

Facebook has a gaming streaming platform???
As a new streamer, its actually where I get the most views.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
When when Ninja and all the others got paid and left there audiences just watched somebody else. I have so many people on my following list that I would do the same.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
They looked at it like a console war I think. Mixer thought that by buying the equivalents of an Uncharted or a Mario (in terms of the name recognition and such) that they would cut off the head and the rest would follow. Twitch's strength is in the communities. It's not just the very big ones, it's the thousands of medium and smaller communities (talking like 100-1000 concurrent audience here) built over time and retained with stuff like emotes and the newer features like Hype Trains. Until you can replicate that, you can't catch Twitch in this particular area.

I do wish a few things from Mixer would make the jump, like the HypeZone channels.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Isn't MS kinda like Google? They do well on their main thing, but fails on their new things. Apart from the Surface.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Mixer has a hook to get people to use it. YouTube and Facebook speak for themselves, and Twitch is already established. What does Mixer have to offer? A connection to Xbox?

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
You can watch YouTube/Twitch/Facebook streams on most smart TVs. Mixer app? Nope.

They've really half-assed everything about their Mixer push.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Wth lmao! Didnt even know FB had a gaming platform. Well that can't be good if Mixer is laghing even behind something i never heard of.

Granted I'm not into this whole streaming business anyway.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Microsoft's hope that they could get a ton of people to switch to Mixer by paying big streamers to stream on there instead of Mixer has been proven to be quite a failure.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe this is just me but when I first heard about them giving so much to Ninja, it kind of came off to me as an effort to buy themselves marketshare rather then trying to compete by offering a superior service/product. Not surprised by this result.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to forget about Mixer because there's not much in there if you don't watch Ninja. Twitch's main selling point to me is the variety of games you can find. I don't have any solutions, but they need to focus on making it attractive for streamers that play multiple games, and I think it's important that they do what most are asking and not getting from Twitch.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
What happened with ninja then, did kids move on?

He's still massive on YouTube and other social platforms in terms of metrics. And he's still on Twitch....kinda, since he's often playing Warzone or Fortnite in a squad with Twitch personalities. Similar thing with CouRage who moved to YouTube. You often have Ninja, CouRage, TimtheTatman (who signed a new deal with Twitch along with a few other big names over the last few months) all playing together across three different social platforms.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Man amazon should not have been allowed to suck up twitch. Depressing that the list is just MS, FB, Google and Amazon, like every dominant service these days.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
No app on my tv or playstation. And the big payouts for streamers actually made me not want to try it.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook Gaming is literally twice as popular as Mixer?

Fuck man.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a surprise?

Anyone who paid any attention to exclusive streaming deals in the past knew it wasn't going to move the needle.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's still massive on YouTube and other social platforms in terms of metrics. And he's still on Twitch....kinda, since he's often playing Warzone or Fortnite in a squad with Twitch personalities. Similar thing with CouRage who moved to YouTube. You often have Ninja, CouRage, TimtheTatman (who signed a new deal with Twitch along with a few other big names over the last few months) all playing together across three different social platforms.
That's really interesting actually, it's like fans seeing the ripples instead of the main event

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
If I were to try and save I'd focus on improving performance and making it a way for people to launch xCloud games.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I think what Microsoft needs is tight integration with XCloud and promoting Mixer videos within XCloud.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Microsoft reportedly pay Ninja $20m to $30m for the exclusive Mixer contract? In retrospect it definitely seems like a really bad investment.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously this won't solve their biggest problems, but I think they could stand to change the name. "Mixer" is about as fun-sounding of a platform as Justin.tv

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twitch is the household name, people already use youtube / facebook so they didn't have to fight hard to get people to watch. Microsoft just had an uphill battle

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously this won't solve their biggest problems, but I think they could stand to change the name. "Mixer" is about as fun-sounding of a platform as Justin.tv

I kinda miss the old Beam.pro name, very Web 2.0 but I thought it was better than Mixer as a name. Back before the days of Low Latency mode on Twitch and Discord chats, it was a solid option for doing Jackbox streams with friends.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
I have a feeling their partnership with Samsung will include Xcloud and mixer apps pre installed or something similar.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm certainly not the target market (eg, person that watches streams frequently), but mixer is by far the most annoying site to use in my experience. I remember tuning in to some MS stream for a mixpot and it was just obtrusive nonsense and confetti flying around. Not a fan of twitch but at least it's easy to just watch a video and tune out the other stuff

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
If I were to try and save I'd focus on improving performance and making it a way for people to launch xCloud games.
I think what Microsoft needs is tight integration with XCloud and promoting Mixer videos within XCloud.
i think people will just keep asking for native Twitch support on XCloud until they get it

and if MS never offers it, they'll probably just capture and stream XCloud on Twitch via other means

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would be interesting to see the numbers without employing all those famous streamers.