• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
tbf Adams just doesn't want to be a top-ten assassination target in the coming race wars.
yeah, that post of his is such a ridiculous troll ("i support clinton, who is mostly running on godwin's law and the woman card, because not doing so would get me lynched by murderous SJWs") that anyone citing his prior "support" of clinton as being evidence of him being a liberal is clearly full of shit

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, that post of his is such a ridiculous troll ("i support clinton, who is mostly running on godwin's law and the woman card, because not doing so would get me lynched by murderous SJWs") that anyone citing his prior "support" of clinton as being evidence of him being a liberal is clearly full of shit

Yup I thought he legit supported her based on what someone said earlier. They were also more familiar with him than I, which would mean.....

Thinkingemoji

Could they possibly have known and been willfully misrepresenting the situation to make a disingenuous argument? Why, that debating is all-right by me.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I was reading Dilbert (still love it in spite of Scott Adams) and one of Adams's blog posts caught my eye:

Fact Checking the Media Claim I am "far right" or "ALT-RIGHT"

In it, Adams basically goes through each of his views point-by-point in order to explain his political views. Surprisingly enough, a number of his views are actually pretty liberal - he favors universal health care, thinks women should solve the abortion question without the input of men for the most part, he actually thinks Obama AND Trump are good Presidents, and so on.

Thing is, Adams isn't particularly special in this regard. I've seen other figures labeled "alt-right" go on record to try and explain what their views are on greater depth - and you'll find more nuance than what they seem to present on a regular basis.

Which brings me to this thread - are we labeling people "alt-right" (which, for us, is effectively synonymous with "Nazi" or "white supremacist") with too broad a brush?

Don't get me wrong, here - I still believe that support of Trump is very much misguided. I don't want this to turn into me saying something else. But it starts to make sense how people who could once be considered "Bernie Bros" would immediately switch to support of Trump without changing their core views.

I think we've started to use "alt-right" to mean "anyone that supports Trump," and that's more than a little misleading. I had a conversation with an old acquaintance of mine the other day, and I couldn't describe her as "alt-right," even if she buys in to some of their false intellectualism & loves Trump. Actually having that discussion helped me see a bit more nuance in what her views were, even if I completely disagreed.

I'm starting to think that in some ways, the "alt-right" is so large because we mis-label people (that and purity tests). At any rate, what do you guys think?
I don't think so. Nuance gets thrown out the window when you support Trump. If you love Trump but also claim you have all these progressive values, you're just a fraud, imo.

Donald Trump is alt-right. He emboldens, allys with, and employs white supremecists. If you love Donald Trump, you support white supremecists no matter what views you express. Don't support the alt-right/Nazis/white supremecists' hero like that then whine about being labled alt-right.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's supposed to be an instant shutdown to very specific people who are very often apt to make a very commonly used specific whataboutism argument.... and has been put to good use several times already on this board alone, on people 'just asking questions'.

Let's see if you go there, you have the right the behavior patterns for it.

So you're a fan of 'gotchas' too.

That profile photo is an embarrassing and distasteful attempt to add authenticity to your juvenile rantings. You certainly demonstrate the right sort of patterns for that type of behaviour too.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm not sure what you're saying. You keep pointing to the first half of her parahraph, when I'm referencing the second half, and then you attack my reading comprehension when you refuse to finish reading a simple paragraph. I'm done with you.
the second part of her paragraph? you mean this part?
The reality is if the GOP was so against the alt-right they'd have stopped Trump, they'd work against him, but they don't because the GOP is mostly made up of White supremacists, those who might not be one themselves but ally and work with them and do nothing to stop them and like 5 irrelevant GOPers who Cosplay as moderates to to give cover to the rest of the party.
where in there does she
[refer] to them all as far right or in support of the alt-right. I didn't see a Jeb Bush exclusion in there
she said "mostly made up of" not "them all"

and also she said "work with [white supremacists] and do nothing to stop them" which is not quite the same as "[saying they are] far right or in support of the alt-right"

not that the distinction between "working with and not trying to stop the far right" and "supporting the alt-right" is all that meaningful, because they are both deplorable, but they are still clearly not quite the same thing

(and i realize you have now made me say something similar to what fake centrists say to defend the republicans who are ok with working trumpists, so i have to congratulate you on successfully trolling the shit out of me)

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Is this a reverse purity test? Hold one mildly progressive view and you're exempt from being alt right?

That's ridiculous logic.

What a weird nutjob to go to bat for.

That link goes to his personal site (not happy about giving him the traffic), where he states wikileaks has never been wrong and intelligence agencies are professional liars.

Holy shit this list of conspiracy theories he gives that are on an equal plane in his mind "
  • Birtherism
  • Russian Collusion
  • Paris Climate Agreement
  • Seth Rich murdered by Clinton
  • Benghazi
  • President Trump is mentally incompetent
  • Charlottesville hoax
  • Syrian chemical weapons
  • Serge Kovaleski hoax
  • WMD in Iraq
  • Dossier
  • Anything that Clapper and Brennan say
  • The "racist dog whistle" theory of everything"
This is his justification for appearing on info wars
He doesn't care that Alex Jones lead to the harassment of dead kids parents, because CNN talks about racist dog whistles?

That link is trash conspiracy theory both sides garbage.

I'd urge others not to click it, as it supports a pretty insane alt right mouthpiece.

...No. The point is that he isn't alt-right. Just because his views are wild doesn't make him alt-right.

I was using him as an example of a wider phenomenon.

I wasn't using it to say he was a liberal. I specifically said that he says whatever is politically convenient.

I don't think so. Nuance gets thrown out the window when you support Trump. If you love Trump but also claim you have all these progressive values, you're just a fraud, imo.

Donald Trump is alt-right. He emboldens, allys with, and employs white supremecists. If you love Donald Trump, you support white supremecists no matter what views you express. Don't support the alt-right/Nazis/white supremecists' hero like that then whine about being labled alt-right.

I don't think we should throw nuance out the window, but if it's easier for you to believe that so many Americans are alt-right, I can't really help.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
So you're a fan of 'gotchas' too.

That profile photo is an embarrassing and distasteful attempt to add authenticity to your juvenile rantings. You certainly demonstrate the right sort of patterns for that type of behaviour too.

Uh huh. Ok guy.

The difference is mine uses the truth, a specific truth, to catch and put down a specific rehearsed neo nazi/alt right lie, because it has been used soooooooooo much by people claiming not to be neo nazis/alt right. (Hide that power level).

And the sole purpose of yours is just a general attempt to muddy the waters.

Another classic go to tactic.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
...No. The point is that he isn't alt-right. Just because his views are wild doesn't make him alt-right.

I wasn't using it to say he was a liberal. I specifically said that he says whatever is politically convenient.

I don't think we should throw nuance out the window, but if it's easier for you to believe that so many Americans are alt-right, I can't really help.

He is alt right. 100%. Weird you chose him to try and prove your point.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
are you referring to this post?
Oh, for sure. I feel like he does what's politically convenient, in general. Same with his switch from Hillary support to Trump support.
the way you phrased that, whether deliberately or not, implied that he ever supported hillary in the same way he now supports trump

which is not true

his "support" for hillary was in the form of obviously sarcastic posts where he claimed to support hillary, while shitting on her all-the-while, while his support for trump was always full-throated

Oct 27, 2017

the way you phrased that, whether deliberately or not, implied that he ever supported hillary in the same way he now supports trump

which is not true

his "support" for hillary was in the form of obviously sarcastic posts where he claimed to support hillary, while shitting on her all-the-while, while his support for trump was always full-throated

He comes across as wildly misogynistic.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
He comes across as wildly misogynistic.
yeah, he has been spouting MRA rhetoric for a long time, but especially when talking about hillary

in hindsight, him being an MRA should not be all that surprising, given that his self-insert character in the comic that made him famous is literally an engineer too intelligent for his job and for whom it's in-universe canon that all attractive women in the world have literally formed a conspiracy focused on avoiding him

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is not a situation that requires any nuance.

Either you are ok with using Nazis to get what you want.

Or you are ok with giving up one or more less important things, because not enabling Nazis is more fucking important to you.

Zero nuance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is alt right. 100%. Weird you chose him to try and prove your point.

I mean, to my knowledge, you're the only person in the thread who agrees with that. So I guess that's fine; I personally wouldn't describe him that way, but that's all you.

My general point beyond the example stands.

which is not true

Fair enough - I wasn't familiar with his initial blog post; only what I had seen afterwards. So I knew he had supported her in the past, but never realized his reasoning (which again, like most of what he writes, is nonsensical).

In either case, I was never using it to say he was liberal - I would go based on his claims of his voting record if I wanted to prove that. But my point isn't that he's liberal - it's that he is not alt-right & he is an opportunist.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

It's not about belief, it's about actions fitting the label. Basically, you're looking for nuance in a decision/view where there is none.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
But simply supporting Trump doesn't make you alt-right... Nor does being a single-issue voter, nor does being generally ignorant of politics.
There's exceptions to every rule, but in general voting for Trump does make you alt-right. Those are the values he explicitly ran on, the people he openly surrounded himself with, the people that gave him the strongest support, the people he went out of his way to associate with. I don't see why anyone should get the benefit of doubt on this.

Yes, some exceptionally uninformed and stupid people will be caught up under the banner, but that's the case with any grouping.

And single issue voters don't get a pass, imo. If you're casting your lot in with a group over a single issue, you're now part of that group. Deal with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Fair enough - I wasn't familiar with his initial blog post; only what I had seen afterwards. So I knew he had supported her in the past, but never realized his reasoning (which again, like most of what he writes, is nonsensical).

In either case, I was never using it to say he was liberal - I would go based on his claims of his voting record if I wanted to prove that. But my point isn't that he's liberal - it's that he is not alt-right & he is an opportunist.
well, his posts in "support" of hillary are clearly a case of using disingenuous arguments in order to push a right-wing agenda

(as is the very post you linked to in the OP where he makes the false equivalence that believing in the fact that certain politicians use racist dog-whistles on the one hand and birtherism on the other hand as equally deserving of the term "conspiracy theory")

(not even to mention how many of the posts on his blog are about using the method of "persuasion" (his favourite buzzword) to push your agenda, only to transparently then use those very techniques to push false equivalences and general right-wing bullshit)

according to my definition of alt-right (as explained in post #20) the bolded would clearly make him alt-right

(i guess there may also be a case to be made that he is a massive irresponsible troll, who amuses himself by trolling the right as much as the left, by using the very techniques he says are used to push the agenda of climate scientists, feminists, liberals etcetera, himself in order to push a right wing agenda. in which case he gives away countless disingenuous arguments for the alt-right to use, not out of conviction, but only for lulz/attention/book sales)

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's exceptions to every rule, but in general voting for Trump does make you alt-right. Those are the values he explicitly ran on, the people he openly surrounded himself with, the people that gave him the strongest support, the people he went out of his way to associate with. I don't see why anyone should get the benefit of doubt on this.

Yes, some exceptionally uninformed and stupid people will be caught up under the banner, but that's the case with any grouping.

And single issue voters don't get a pass, imo. If you're casting your lot in with a group over a single issue, you're now part of that group. Deal with it.

Again, that makes the label completely useless. All conservatives or moderates aren't alt-right. That's the perfect example of why I made this thread - this kind of overgeneralization.

well, his posts in "support" of hillary are clearly a case of using disingenuous arguments in order to push a right-wing agenda

(as is the very post you linked to in the OP where he makes the false equivalence that believing in the fact that certain politicians use racist dog-whistles on the one hand and birtherism on the other hand as equally deserving of the term "conspiracy theory")

(not even to mention how many of the posts on his blog are about using the method of "persuasion" (his favourite buzzword) to push your agenda, only to transparently then use those very techniques to push false equivalences and general right-wing bullshit)

according to my definition of alt-right (as explained in post #20) the bolded would clearly make him alt-right

(i guess there may also be a case to be made that he is a massive irresponsible troll, who amuses himself by trolling the right as much as the left, by using the very techniques he says are used to push the agenda of climate scientists, feminists, liberals etcetera, himself in order to push a right wing agenda. in which case he gives away countless disingenuous arguments for the alt-right to use, not out of conviction, but only for lulz/attention/book sales)

Again, I haven't defended a single thing he has written in this thread. I've said before that most of his writing insane, and I can't tell if he's genuinely caught up in his "master persuader" horseshit or not.

The only argument I was making about him was this - given his stated views, he's not really alt-right. An alt-right darling to be sure (and one person in the comments, who claimed to be alt-right, noted that they respected Adams, but didn't necessarily agree with all of his views).

Maybe he shouldn't have been my example considering how much stress this is. But the point I was making (and many people in the first couple of pages got this) is that there are plenty of people who may not be as extreme as Adams who are also not alt-right. By painting all of them with a broad brush, we diminish our message, and it becomes useless for anything other than communicating with each other. If that.

Trump openly campaigned on xenophobia, misogyny and racist dog whistles. He was pretty blatant about it. That is pretty much all I will say about my ban warning.

Again, many people who support him aren't doing it because of his racism/misogyny. They just don't believe he's racist or misogynist. You can argue that they're misguided, sure. But they can support him without being themselves those things.

Take Kanye, for example. I classify him as "dumbass." He's not alt-right or racist, but holy shit, everything he says is actually stupid.

Now, that's another extreme example, but I figure it's easier to use figures people know.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Again, many people who support him aren't doing it because of his racism/misogyny. They just don't believe he's racist or misogynist. You can argue that they're misguided, sure. But they can support him without being themselves those things.
I'm sorry, but if someone doesn't believe trump is racist/sexist, then that person is most likely racist/sexist them self.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't coin the term alt-right nor did we associate it with neonazis.

Neonazis (hoping to escape the negative connotations of being neonazis) coined it and then used it to name their new right wing coalition.

Now that the public are associating the alt-right label with the group that created the term (neonazis) now people (particularly the non-neonazis that entered into the coalition with the neonazis) are saying it's over applied? :rolleyes:

They should have never entered into a coalition with muthafucking neonazis is what I have to say.

Ray Wonder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has definitely taken on a sort of joke meaning, calling someone a Nazi. It doesn't hold the same impact that it used to.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that many do, yes. The requirements change from person to person, but no, I'm not going to call every trump voter a Nazi. Hear people saying it here and on social media and it's gotten ridiculous. If you're not one of those people, then I'm not referring to you. If some folks disagree, then good for them just the same.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I do think that a lot of people are guilty of over labeling and overusing terms like alt right or far right with too big of a brushstroke. I've witnessed some use of such terms with some people being so wrongly used, it's been near a blood libel. As a Jew, I cannot stand or endorse anything that leads to anything like a blood libel. I absolutely believe people in large need to stop generalizing. Nothing is black and white, and at the end of the day, I (and again, I can only speak for myself, this time as a political independent) believe that the United Sates specifically is pretty much 50/50 on politics, and it's absolutely disengenous and dangerous to assume that half the country is filled with despicable people. As far as I am concerned, specifically speaking to the people of my nation, one notion that I absolutely do agree with the current president on is that we citizens of the USA should be Americans first. There is more that we have in common than not, so why all the hate and intolerance? I hate extremism, I hate bigotry, I hate intolerance, and I don't care where it come's from, it has to stop. Over-generalizing and blind hate has to stop.

I mean, I hear people calling others Nazis just because they voted for a certain person. As in just because they voted for someone, in a free election, in their own interests. You know how that makes me, the queer Jew feel? Trust me, I know what a Nazi is, and I know what makes a person a Nazi, and voting for a mayor of your town that's gonna benefit you and happens to be republican, doesn't make you a Nazi. One of too many examples I've dealt with. People who don't know what a Nazi is, privileged people no aren't even the targets of Nazis, calling others Nazis...

Nov 2, 2017
If you voted Trump you either are racist or enabled a racist. There isn't much of a difference

Sure. Might as well say that paying my federal taxes enables racism too.

Sorry, I just don't find it worth thinking or talking about the matter that simply. It's not even that I don't agree with the sentiment in some general sense, it's just that as an actual talking point, it's absolutely worthless. It does nothing to move the needle in the favor of progressives and keeps people in the irony-lead echo chambers they used to claim to be so deathly afraid of. Nuanced approaches aren't giving fair respect to "Both Sides!" no matter how much people parrot that mind-numbing, catch-all phrase from the right shoulder of their hobbling liberalism. In fact, it's just giving the opposition ammo. When someone you actually know and love in the real world expresses interest in voting for Trump, you're forced to sheath your keyboard for a moment and find somewhere to sit and actually think.

Hasty Generalizations cause exorbitant eyes to complete the curve, when they've only spotted the smallest of arcs. They're bad, no matter how passionate you might be about a matter. Ya'll can have fun with that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
We didn't coin the term alt-right nor did we associate it with neonazis.

Neonazis (hoping to escape the negative connotations of being neonazis) coined it and then used it to name their new right wing coalition.

Now that the public are associating the alt-right label with the group that created the term (neonazis) now people (particularly the non-neonazis that entered into the coalition with the neonazis) are saying it's over applied? :rolleyes:

They should have never entered into a coalition with muthafucking neonazis is what I have to say.
this post is pretty spot on

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Scot Addams has the shtick - "oh hey I'm not an expert and know nothing about this, but I'll listen to everything anyone has to say about it and be convinced". I think he intentionally excluded his thoughts about climate science in that post, because they are either incredibly naive or incredibly disingenuous, and he knows it. Another of his shticks is clearly that he loves to make a """Joke""" that he knows full well comes across as extremely offensive, and then go back and say "WHO, ME?! Why, I'd never!". It's annoying.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, I just don't find it worth thinking or talking about the matter that simply. It's not even that I don't agree with the sentiment in some general sense, it's just that as an actual talking point, it's absolutely worthless. It does nothing to move the needle in the favor of progressives and keeps people in the irony-lead echo chambers they used to claim to be so deathly afraid of. Nuanced approaches aren't giving fair respect to "Both Sides!" no matter how much people parrot that mind-numbing, catch-all phrase from the right shoulder of their hobbling liberalism. In fact, it's just giving the opposition ammo. When someone you actually know and love in the real world expresses interest in voting for Trump, you're forced sheath your keyboard for a moment and find somewhere to sit and actually think.

Hasty Generalizations cause exorbitant eyes to complete the curve, when they've only spotted the smallest of arcs. They're bad, no matter how passionate you might be about a matter. Ya'll can have fun with that.
If some one I loved or was friends with voted Trump they wouldn't be around me anymore.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sorry, I just don't find it worth thinking or talking about the matter that simply. It's not even that I don't agree with the sentiment in some general sense, it's just that as an actual talking point, it's absolutely worthless. It does nothing to move the needle in the favor of progressives and keeps people in the irony-lead echo chambers they used to claim to be so deathly afraid of. Nuanced approaches aren't giving fair respect to "Both Sides!" no matter how much people parrot that mind-numbing, catch-all phrase from the right shoulder of their hobbling liberalism. In fact, it's just giving the opposition ammo. When someone you actually know and love in the real world expresses interest in voting for Trump, you're forced sheath your keyboard for a moment and find somewhere to sit and actually think.

There is no nuance to this situation.

You either actively support Nazis, or are willing to look the other way, from fucking Nazis, likely because you know you don't have to worry about being targeted by them, to get something you want.

Or you dont.

No nuance required.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If you're saying not all conservatives & moderates are alt-right, you're agreeing with what I was saying more than you know.

I guess the last part is "not everyone who supported Trump is alt-right."
No, you're trying to equate "all conservatives and moderates" with people who voted for Donald Trump for some reason.

Ray Wonder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, I just don't find it worth thinking or talking about the matter that simply. It's not even that I don't agree with the sentiment in some general sense, it's just that as an actual talking point, it's absolutely worthless. It does nothing to move the needle in the favor of progressives and keeps people in the irony-lead echo chambers they used to claim to be so deathly afraid of. Nuanced approaches aren't giving fair respect to "Both Sides!" no matter how much people parrot that mind-numbing, catch-all phrase from the right shoulder of their hobbling liberalism. In fact, it's just giving the opposition ammo. When someone you actually know and love in the real world expresses interest in voting for Trump, you're forced sheath your keyboard for a moment and find somewhere to sit and actually think. Ya'll can have fun with that.

I agree with this.

ex. My mother likes Trump, and she's objectively a good person. There's nothing she wouldn't do for someone she cares about, to help them. Some responses I'd expect to hear back to that statement are both sanctimonious and hypocritical.

Politics are inherently divisive. I just say live and let live. Having flaws is part of being human, and there will always shitty people and good people, on "both sides".

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is completely divorced from reality. The left has been "nuanced" forever. If any side has been over generalizing, it's been the right, and look at the position of power they've found themselves in. At a certain point, you have to draw a line and tell the right to either ditch their white supremacist neighbors, or start calling them the enablers that they are.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this.

ex. My mother likes Trump, and she's objectively a good person. There's nothing she wouldn't do for someone she cares about, to help them. Some responses I'd expect to hear back to that statement are both sanctimonious and hypocritical.

Politics are inherently divisive. I just say live and let live. Having flaws is part of being human, and there will always shitty people and good people, on "both sides".

The issue is that voting for Trump is a shitty thing to do, so one side is at a disadvantage.