mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any? Is there good JRPGs that are amazing that never got translated back on PS1?

And if there are any fan translated ones are they actually good games too and worth checking out?

I know there's plenty of fan translated JRPGs for 16bit but what about PS1? Or even PS2 for that matter.

I recently patched SNES Breath of Fire 2 with its fan translation which is supposedly much better. But I've never played this game so I dunno if the game with or without the fan translation holds up? I'm going through BoF1 right now and it's fairly generic but it's pretty good so far. The story makes sense albeit written briefly. Gameplay is pretty good nothing amazing but I'm still only two members in my party and done the cure for the king quest. The fan translation of 2 got me thinking of PS1 JRPG's that have never been released in the West and were actually good? Or had fan ones.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Off, like hundrers, I'm not kidding. I'm still waiting for a proper english translation of Linda Cube Again.

For now my biggest recommendation on soon to be fantranslated PS1 RPGs is, by far, Moon.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Moon RPG seems to be the BIG one that still hasn't been fan-translated.

But in general there are dozens and dozens of untranslated good ones on PS1 that are left in Japanese

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Moon RPG seems to be the BIG one that still hasn't been fan-translated.

But in general there are dozens and dozens of untranslated good ones on PS1 that are left in Japanese
Moon actually isn't really an RPG, it's an adventure game set in the world of an RPG. It's an absolutely fantastic game though. We're hoping to have the fan translation done in a few months or so.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've also wanted a translation of the Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2 PSX compilation/remake for over a decade at this point.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Some few untranslated and interesting PS1 RPGs that I remember now:

Linda Cube Again
London Seirei Tanteidan
Popolocrois Monogatari II
Suzu Monogatari
Mitsumete Knight R
PAL: Shinken Densetsu
Community Pom
Mostly everything from Atelier

Bonus: the RPG Quest Mode in Tobal 2

Really, there are still decades of fantranslation working on PS1.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
a translation for Mystic Ark 2 would be nice

also the PS1 version of G.O.D. (if you like Earthbound the game is a must-play)

preta

Oct 25, 2017

Linda Cube Again
London Seirei Tanteidan
Suzu Monogatari
Mitsumete Knight R
Community Pom

Suzu Monogatari looks super neat, wow. I'd never heard of it.

While Mitsumete Knight is more of a dating sim with some RPG elements, I've heard it's REALLY good. I definitely want to play it someday.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Untranslated ones? Yes, a metric fuckton. A couple I've played over the last few years and enjoyed enough to finish include...

Black/Matrix and Black/Matrix 00
I'm a huge fan of Flight-Plan, a defunct, longtime SRPG developer who made these. Really cool worlds, lovely sprite visuals and pretty good mission variety:

45874.jpg

blackmatrix00ps_041404_002-803841_640w.jpg

Volfoss

A surprisingly great looking SRPG from Namco (seriously, I love most of the designs). Not fantastic gameplay-wise, but super cool vibe to all of it that pushed me through:

Volfoss_Cover.jpg

VOLFOSSBACK_zps49a8sq2g.jpg

wid2.320x320.jpg

Shachou Eiyuuden
A SCE developed JRPG based on a wuxia novel. It very much feels of the same era as Legend of Dragoon, but not quite as high budget. Again, not exceptional gameplay-wise, but it's a ridiculously underused setting:

SCPS-45510.jpg

shachou-4.jpg

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
First one that comes to mind is Ore no shikabane wo koete yuke, which even had an untranslated PSP remake.

Oct 27, 2017
Moon actually isn't really an RPG, it's an adventure game set in the world of an RPG. It's an absolutely fantastic game though. We're hoping to have the fan translation done in a few months or so.
Are you one of the fan-translators? If so, good luck and thanks for your hard work - I've been waiting for a translated Moon since I've joined the internet!

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I really want the first Oreshika game to be translated man. It looks interesting and fun!

preta

Oct 25, 2017
It also needs to be stated that Black/Matrix 00 is a PS1 game released in 2004 that's a remake of a GBA game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Omg there's so many. Didn't realise.
If you want to include PS2, PSP and DS as well, then there's just a stupid amount of awesome JRPGs they never brought over (especially if you're like me and a big SRPG fan).

If you like Fire Emblem, you can check out Tear Ring Saga on PS1 that does have a fan-translation, and is by its original creator (Shouzou Kaga, who left after Thracia 776). It's essentially an unnamed FE sequel, and there was a lengthy lawsuit regarding it (which Kaga eventually won).

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Front Mission 4 and 5 on PS2 also have fan translations (both are good, but 5 is better).

preta

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was in fact the last official PS1 game released in Japan (excluding PS Books releases that goes forever, even to this decade as far as I know).
According to Wikipedia, that's right.

Strings, Flight Plan's games have always looked neat to me, but I've never played any of them - which would you particularly recommend?

Some more I'd like to see translated:
Bealphareth
Brave Prove
Bounty Sword First (port from SNES)
Bounty Sword Double Edge
RACING LAGOON (though I have no idea how you'd render its bizarre dialogue in English)
Soukaigi (super janky, but I'm affectionate towards it regardless - probably in no small part due to the divine soundtrack)
Lagnacure Legend (which has an opening theme by Susumu Hirasawa holy shit)
Planet Laika (developed in part by Quintet)
Brightis (action RPG by Shade, the company formerly known as Quintet)

Maybe not quite RPGs, but a few others I'd be interested in seeing are Gust's strategy games Falcata and Meru Purana (featuring music by Thunder Force legend Toshiharu Yamanishi)!

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017

Linda Cube Again
London Seirei Tanteidan
Suzu Monogatari
Mitsumete Knight R
Community Pom

If I'm not mistaken, the Quest Mode in Total 2 has been translated already.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Strings, Flight Plan's games have always looked neat to me, but I've never played any of them - which would you particularly recommend?
Dragon Shadow Spell is PS2 game from them that isn't tied to any previous universes and is a great entry point. It's also really, really pretty imo:

dragon-shadow-spell-battle2.jpg

dragon-shadow-spell-battle.jpg

dragon-shadow-spell-store.jpg

And like all of their stuff, has a sick soundtrack:

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to include PS2, PSP and DS as well, then there's just a stupid amount of awesome JRPGs they never brought over (especially if you're like me and a big SRPG fan).

If you like Fire Emblem, you can check out Tear Ring Saga on PS1 that does have a fan-translation, and is by its original creator (Shouzou Kaga, who left after Thracia 776). It's essentially an unnamed FE sequel, and there was a lengthy lawsuit regarding it (which Kaga eventually won).

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Front Mission 4 and 5 on PS2 also have fan translations (both are good, but 5 is better).
These look great. Will have to check them out thanks

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Shadow Spell is PS2 game from them that isn't tied to any previous universes and is a great entry point. It's also really, really pretty imo:

dragon-shadow-spell-battle2.jpg

dragon-shadow-spell-battle.jpg

dragon-shadow-spell-store.jpg

And like all of their stuff, has a sick soundtrack:

What games of theirs would you say have the best map design? That's something I value particularly highly in SRPGs. Although this is getting off topic for the thread at this point - PM me if you want a link to the RPG-Era Discord.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
This is probably a suitable thread to ask, so here goes. Recently I've been thinking back on a Japanese and untranslated game that I saw mentioned on Gaf a few years back, but I've totally forgotten the name of it, and my memory is hazy on other details about it too. I think it was a PS1 game, but I'm not 100% certain. What I do vividly remember was its cover art, which was this really striking image of what I assume was the whole central cast, maybe ten people or so, and it was hand drawn in a non-cutesy anime style. There might have been an airship or some kind of aerial vehicle on the cover too. I also vaguely recall the game having a steampunk (to an extent anyway) aesthetic. It might have featured an isometric camera, but don't hold me to that. If anybody has any ideas then let me know. I already checked most of the games mentioned here and didn't find it.

And yea I know, there are lots of "mights" and "maybes" in that paragraph which doesn't help, but this game has randomly popped back in my mind and now I have to satisfy my curiosity.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Gunparade March. When I played it years ago I remember having a lot of freedom in school mode and classmates can end up being scared of you.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a suitable thread to ask, so here goes. Recently I've been thinking back on a Japanese and untranslated game that I saw mentioned on Gaf a few years back, but I've totally forgotten the name of it, and my memory is hazy on other details about it too. I think it was a PS1 game, but I'm not 100% certain. What I do vividly remember was its cover art, which was this really striking image of what I assume was the whole central cast, maybe ten people or so, and it was hand drawn in a non-cutesy anime style. There might have been an airship or some kind of aerial vehicle on the cover too. I also vaguely recall the game having a steampunk (to an extent anyway) aesthetic. It might have featured an isometric camera, but don't hold me to that. If anybody has any ideas then let me know. I already checked most of the games mentioned here and didn't find it.

And yea I know, there are lots of "mights" and "maybes" in that paragraph which doesn't help, but this game has randomly popped back in my mind and now I have to satisfy my curiosity.
Might be Velldeselba Senki?

1643296-cover.png

I haven't played it, but it's on my list to get around to eventually.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
According to Wikipedia, that's right.

Some more I'd like to see translated:
Bealphareth
Brave Prove
Bounty Sword First (port from SNES)
Bounty Sword Double Edge
RACING LAGOON (though I have no idea how you'd render its bizarre dialogue in English)
Soukaigi (super janky, but I'm affectionate towards it regardless - probably in no small part due to the divine soundtrack)
Lagnacure Legend (which has an opening theme by Susumu Hirasawa holy shit)
Planet Laika (developed in part by Quintet)
Brightis (action RPG by Shade, the company formerly known as Quintet)

Maybe not quite RPGs, but a few others I'd be interested in seeing are Gust's strategy games Falcata and Meru Purana (featuring music by Thunder Force legend Toshiharu Yamanishi)!
I've been interested in Racing Lagoon for such a long time, it really is a shame the game was never released state side.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The original Chocobo's Dungeon was never translated to English that I know of. We only got a translation of the second.

Edit: Confirming this on the FF wiki led me to this gold nugget of information:
The name "chocobo" derives from a Japanese brand of chocolate malt ball by Morinaga, ChocoBall (チョコボール, Chokobōru?). The mascot for this product is Kyoro-chan (キョロちゃん?), a bird who says "kweh."

食う / くう / kuu is a rough way to say "eat", whose volitional casual form is 食え / くえ / kue ("let's scoff 'em down!"), leading to Kweh!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
What games of theirs would you say have the best map design? That's something I value particularly highly in SRPGs. Although this is getting off topic for the thread at this point - PM me if you want a link to the RPG-Era Discord.
I couldn't send you a PM, so I'll just paste it here:
Probably the best way to describe the map design in their games is Disgaea, but with better (and oftentimes multiple bonus) objectives. I can't really single out a particular title that does this better than any other, outside of saying that Summon Night as a franchise has a really satisfying system where they tie those bonus objectives into earning a resource that earns you party wide modifiers, secrets, etc. So even if a particular story battle is easy (because you've done too much optional stuff or whatever), it's still pretty engaging to beat it in x turns, without a specific character taking any damage, and so on.

If that sounds neat and you want to jump into Summon Night, I'd suggest 1 or 5 (which technically was made after the company went under (by a successor that was Flight-Plan in all but name :P)). 2 is very much a sequel to 1, 3 isn't the best (but is still fun), 4 is great but references the other games a lot, and 6 is a crossover story with characters all across the franchise. The Swordcraft Story GBA games are unrelated ARPGs that are randomly addictive as hell (and available in English).

Black/Matrix is a similar thing, where though the first isn't close to the best game, it's probably best to experience them in release order.

Their standalone titles are all fine to jump into though. Dragon Shadow Spell is my favourite, but Eternal Poison (which has an English release from Atlus) and Sacred Blaze are enjoyable too.

The cutscenes can be on the wordy side, but thankfully the worlds underpinning them are genuinely interesting, and they do their best to make all the non-story, character building stuff optional (and there is a lot of it).

Iunno if this was helpful, but I don't get the opportunity to talk about them a lot since no one has played them lol.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Hey guys, do you like Shadow of the Colossus? Do you wish there was a monster hunter style game about fighting massively sized, city Bearing colossi? And is it okay that they are mostly all loosely based on Final Fantasy summons?

Blood-of-bahamut-logo.jpg

Then get your butt ready for Blood of Bahamut, a DS game that has you playing a variety of characters with different weapons and elements as you battle with giant beasts by striking different parts of their massive frames using the touch screen, while moving using the dpad/face buttons.

5123095.jpg

Luckily, if this sounds like your kind of game, it has been translated a while ago, and the fan patch and it's installation instructions are right here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/released-blood-of-bahamut-english-patch.283764/

It's a pretty interesting game, I just wish I had the capability to play it on original hardware, since it's much like Kid Icarus: Uprising, where you need to mix it up with both stylus and button action.

It also has multiplayer action, because of course it does, so check it out with pals if you can!

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't send you a PM, so I'll just paste it here:

Sorry for quoting but about Summon Night 4: the PSP version is the best version. The PS2 version has the armor vulnerability system which was annoying. This was removed on the PSP version and it also has improvements on the gameplay. For SN3, I also recommend the PSP version but play this game after you finish SN2.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not PS1, but Tales of Destiny PS2 (a remake) has an incomplete fan translation project that PISSES ME OFF TO THIS DAY!

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
One game that nobody's mentioned yet is Bloody Bride: Imadoki no Vampire from Atlus, a sort of RPG/Dating Sim hybrid that has been (mostly) fan translated. I've no idea if it's meant to be any good though.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely PoPoLoCrois series. While there is the PSP version of the first two games, it doesn't include PoPoRogue, and they heavily condense most of the first game. So it's still worth checking out the original games.

Due to difficulties with how the games were designed, translation efforts have been difficult and it's been halted for awhile. PoPoLoCrois and it's sequel, II, have proper translations conducted by fans, just no way to properly insert them into the game. I don't believe PoPoRogue has been translated in any capacity, however.

Regardless, if you know Japanese (either fluent or not), definitely check them out.

As for Breath of Fire II, I know the fan translations that are out there fix a lot of the issues that were present in the old one. While some of it's due to space limitations, there's absolutely a lot of inconsistencies with the translations, R/L errors, sometimes debug strings showing up, and among other problems.

There's also the fact that they didn't even bother to fix almost any of these issues for the GBA release, which they directly ported the translation over. Sometimes the translation can also make things sound more confusing than they need to. So that patch should hopefully allow you to get through the game a bit easier.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
DQIV on PS1 is still untranslated. I like the look of it more than localized DS version.

It is practically the same thing though, the DS ones are based on the DQ7 & 4 PS1 games overall look.

Also OP, the fan translation of Tales of Phantasia for PS1 is awesome, much better than the SNES version.

As far as untranslated ones go, the one I want translated most is Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden.

This list is pretty comprehensive for you https://www.listal.com/list/ps1-rpg

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Is Live a Live any good? I know it got fan translated but never made its way here.

003.jpg