• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando

View: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1559210134118625280?t=ZikFDEvD4aSla1dERnvGPg&s=19

View: https://youtu.be/s6TXv6b2GcE

Looks like the Blitz games will have a portion of tackle hits removed:

Arcade1Up has confirmed that this NFL game will no longer feature "a specific set of tackles," with roughly 15 percent of football player collisions edited out. Additionally, all after-the-whistle hits have been disabled.

It's still unknown how many actual players will be included in the re-release:

The inclusion of real player names is the big sales point for this machine, and it's emphasized in the product by photos of six stars of the '90s NFL appearing on the cabinet's two sides. Arcade1Up has yet to say how many classic player names from all three supported games (NFL Blitz, NFL Blitz '99, NFL Blitz 2000: Gold Edition) will be missing as a result of licensing issues and whether any missing players will either have their names blanked out or, like in the Arcade1Up NBA Jam cabinet, simply be named after other players (in which case multiple people named "Deion Sanders" could go long for the Dallas Cowboys, even if they have different stats).

arstechnica.com

NFL Blitz arcade games will relaunch as Arcade1Up cabinet exclusive

Three-game collection for $599 will have some unfortunate edits.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Does this include actual players (or did the arcade version not have player names? I don't remember)

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
92% of rosters between all 3 games. Missing player attributes will remain unchanged.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Blitz games will have a portion of tackle hits removed:

Arcade1Up has confirmed that this NFL game will no longer feature "a specific set of tackles," with roughly 15 percent of football player collisions edited out. Additionally, all after-the-whistle hits have been disabled.

Does this include actual players (or did the arcade version not have player names? I don't remember)

It's still unknown how many actual players will be included in the re-release:

The inclusion of real player names is the big sales point for this machine, and it's emphasized in the product by photos of six stars of the '90s NFL appearing on the cabinet's two sides. Arcade1Up has yet to say how many classic player names from all three supported games (NFL Blitz, NFL Blitz '99, NFL Blitz 2000: Gold Edition) will be missing as a result of licensing issues and whether any missing players will either have their names blanked out or, like in the Arcade1Up NBA Jam cabinet, simply be named after other players (in which case multiple people named "Deion Sanders" could go long for the Dallas Cowboys, even if they have different stats).

arstechnica.com

NFL Blitz arcade games will relaunch as Arcade1Up cabinet exclusive

Three-game collection for $599 will have some unfortunate edits.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, they just straight up renamed players in NBA Jam after other players without changing their stats or likeness?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit interesting that they are talking about the removal of late hits, but they aren't talking about if they will be changing the name, logo, audio etc for the Washington team

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That's too big of a change to the core game to make this worth spending that much money on.

Wait, they just straight up renamed players in NBA Jam after other players without changing their stats or likeness?

In the original NBA Jam, each team was just two players. There were five players in the game missing so when that happened, they just duplicated the remaining member on the team but gave him the stats of the missing player.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That's too big of a change to the core game to make this worth spending that much money on.

In the original NBA Jam, each team was just two players. There were five players in the game missing so when that happened, they just duplicated the remaining member on the team but gave him the stats of the missing player.

Wow so you basically have two Detlef Schrempfs but one is actually Reggie Miller? And two Shawn Kemps but one is Benoit Benjamin?

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda figured it would happen, but taking out the late hits is still garbage.

I still might purchase at half price and mod for the og versions.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a bit interesting that they are talking about the removal of late hits, but they aren't talking about if they will be changing the name, logo, audio etc for the Washington team
No doubt it will have 'Redskins' and the logo removed. They actually programmed this version instead of emulated so probably not a problem to replace.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For a gimmick, this is cool. For $600, home use, it's tough. NFL Blitz' gameplay is just not deep at all. It's something that would be good in a barcade, brewery, restaurant, etc, but for at home it's a tough sell. But play an hour of NFL blitz, there's really not a lot of depth there, and unlike a fighting game the rubber banding in Blitz is frustrating, it's frustrating to fumble on every possession when you're up by more than 7 points.

I'm unsure of the available licensing in this, in general. From the screenshots in the ars article it says just city names, "San Francisco" and "Chicago," but that *looks* like the San Francisco 49ers logon on Jerry Rice's character model, and it's definitely got NFL and team logos on the cabinet itself.

*edit*

Actually n/m, it clearly says "Bears" in the endzone.

Wondering how they're working around licensing in this, obviously doesn't have NFL PA support, hence the Legends, but surprised it carries NFL licensing if this is technically a newly coded game, not just emulation or whatever.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
For a gimmick, this is cool. For $600, home use, it's tough. NFL Blitz' gameplay is just not deep at all. It's something that would be good in a barcade, brewery, restaurant, etc, but for at home it's a tough sell.

I'm unsure of the available licensing in this, in general. From the screenshots in the ars article it says just city names, "San Francisco" and "Chicago," but that *looks* like the San Francisco 49ers logon on Jerry Rice's character model, and it's definitely got NFL and team logos on the cabinet itself.

*edit*

Actually n/m, it clearly says "Bears" in the endzone.

Wondering how they're working around licensing in this, obviously doesn't have NFL PA support, hence the Legends, but surprised it carries NFL licensing if this is technically a newly coded game, not just emulation or whatever.
It's an update of the original source code from what I gather. They're still working through the likeness rights to all of the players (there's a percentage whom they may not be able to get).

Also, these games are licensed by the NFL (and that's why the late hits and certain tackle animations were removed).

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I heard about the late hits being removed. And not all tackles being included. I understand why, but still, I'm no longer interested.

Oct 25, 2017
When the rumors started swirling about this cabinet I saw people immediately talking themselves in to thinking there was a chance in hell of the NFL allowing late hits to stay in. Was never going to happen. At least this cabinet has the 49-way joystick going for it.

Bengraven