May 31, 2022
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Kotaku and ComicBook.com has reported on a woman who left a Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh tournament due to bad body odor from both men and women and it's reported that this isn't the first time that bad body odor at tournaments has made the news.

In 2019, Konami actually made hygiene mandatory for official tournaments, a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament rule states: "You are expected to be clean when you enter a tournament. Neglecting to wash or put on clean clothes contributes to an unpleasant atmosphere at the event, as the tournament can be crowded and the day can be long. Persons who neglect self-care to the point that they are negatively impacting the tournament may be asked to correct the issue in order to continue in the event."

kotaku.com

Woman Leaves Yu-Gi-Oh Event Because It Smelled Horrible

The woman blamed both stinky men and women duelists for forcing her early exit

A woman went viral on social media after claiming she left a Yu-Gi-Oh card game event due to how terrible many of the other players smelled.

On April 6, a person posted on X (formerly Twitter) that they were at a local Yu-Gi-Oh trading card tournament at a hobby shop in Japan. The poster claimed they ran into a woman who was competing in the event, but she left halfway through and the original poster blamed it on other players being too aggressive and unwelcoming to new players. Shortly after that post spread around the web, however, a woman on Twitter responded claiming to be the duelist who left early. And she explained it wasn't due to poor player behavior or losing quickly. Instead, she blamed the terrible odor from other players inside the card shop.

As spotted by ComicBook.com, on Saturday a woman quote-tweeted the original story and claimed she was the one who left early. According to a Twitter translation, she said she left halfway through the tourney because she "couldn't stand the smell" and added: "It's not like I lost or was sad."

When another user replied that her story was "funny," she responded and said it "smelled so bad it was no laughing matter."

Another user replied to her viral tweet, posting that the horrible odor was likely the reason the number of "female duelists" in Yu-Gi-Oh wasn't increasing. In response, the woman clarified that there are some "stinky female duelists" but claimed the smelly men at card game events are often "in a class of their own."

While some players and users argued that smelly duelists at events were a stereotype and the problem was being overblown, others agreed with the woman's viral tweet and suggested that they have also left tourneys due to bad body odor.

Sadly, this is not the first time the fandom has made headlines over hygiene. The vast majority of fans are perfectly kept, but in 2019, Konami released a new tournament guideline that made hygiene mandatory for official tournaments.

"You are expected to be clean when you enter a tournament. Neglecting to wash or put on clean clothes contributes to an unpleasant atmosphere at the event, as the tournament can be crowded and the day can be long. Persons who neglect self-care to the point that they are negatively impacting the tournament may be asked to correct the issue in order to continue in the event," the rule reads.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Are some people really out here not washing they ass to the point where a whole room full of people stinks so bad it causes some to run for cover, and companies have to tell folks to wash they ass before coming to their event?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You think yugioh tourneys are bad? Try a Warhammer 40k event. Sometimes you can literally smell the neckbeards from outside.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are some people really out here not washing they ass to the point where a whole room full of people stinks so bad it causes some to run for cover, and companies have to tell folks to wash they ass before coming to their event?

Go read a few ERA threads about showering. Several people here admit to not showering every day and genuinely think they don't smell like ass.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It happens. I've been to tournaments and cons. I don't know how people can't just buy a stick of deodorant or show up smelling like ass.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Why is it that I don't doubt her for a second.

I still remember the shock of going to a Manga / Anime expo for the first time.
Didn't go back to another for years and because the nephews asked for it (this time was luckily nicer in that regard).

And my local hobby shop when I stopped by the board / card gaming room and they were having a MtG tournament.

I didn't go back to any manga expo for years and years because of how horrible that one time was.

Oct 25, 2017
It did make me laugh how it was originally framed as "this softie couldn't handle the harsh competitive gameplay of REAL yugioh gamers" and she just popped up and said nah you all stink so bad for real

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it, I don't go to Gaming events etc or conventions for the same reason.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Is it actually stinky people or just a lot of people in a small space with poor air flows? I've been to venues for food and drinks where you could go in clean but the makes it so you could come out feeling like a total grub.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
If you lose in Yu-Gi-Oh in real life you should be sent to the shower realm not the shadow realm.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Is it actually stinky people or just a lot of people in a small space with poor air flows? I've been to venues for food and drinks where you could go in clean but the makes it so you could come out feeling like a total grub.
Sure, small venues with bad air flows are the worst. But it's stinky people man. You could get them out in the open and you would be moving around if the wind was blowing in your general direction.

Vans

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
It happens. I've been to tournaments and cons. I don't know how people can't just buy a stick of deodorant or show up smelling like ass.

All deodorant does is mix the putrid smell with deodorant smell if they are already stinky. The only fix is to wash properly I am afraid.

I have met a person with _intense_ body odor that genuinely believed putting on deodorant (while they are already stinky) magically makes the problem go away. It doesn't. More over, when they make such statements it gives a bad impression of their hygiene.

OP
OP
May 31, 2022
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
At least for the convention I go to, they state a disruptive behavior that is not allowed is "failure to observe basic hygiene":

Otakon®: General Policies

Otakon is an annual celebration of Asian pop culture (anime, manga, music, movies, video games, etc.) and its fandom!

Disruptive Behavior

Your membership in Otakorp, Inc. entitles you to enjoy the primary benefit of that membership: you get to attend Otakon! But as the man said, with great power comes great responsibility.

We work very hard to ensure that Otakon takes place in a safe and family-friendly environment, and we need your cooperation. We have policies to address specifics such as weapons and lost children. We also have a general policy that we do not tolerate disruptive behavior or harassment of any sort, and we can and will take action when we see something we feel is dangerous or disruptive. The type of action we take may range from a quiet but stern word in private to forcible ejection from the convention, revocation of your membership in Otakorp, Inc., or even criminal charges. (Action taken is solely at the discretion of Otakorp, Inc.)

The sorts of things that may trigger such action include but are not limited to:
fighting (fake or real), heckling, impeding traffic flow, offensive behavior, harassment, failure to observe basic hygiene, public inebriation/intoxication, or any other failure to follow the rules and directions of staff members. Remember, anything illegal outside the Walter E. Washington Convention Center is illegal inside the Walter E. Washington Convention Center! If your behavior is clearly problematic, we will deal with it as such. Show common courtesy to your fellow otaku and follow the rules, so there's no problems.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Given that YGO events are so infamous for stinkiness that they actually had to have a rule in place for people to be hygenic, I'm going to go with "actually stinky"

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I have been in an esports 'dome' several times that I wanted to flee out of but had a match to play in. Really not that nice.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
All deodorant does is mix the putrid smell with deodorant smell if they are already stinky. The only fix is to wash properly I am afraid
I mean that should go without saying. I guess it's because I've been self-conscious about that sort of thing. If my clothes smell, I'm not wearing that again until I wash it. Even if I don't leave my house, I always apply deodorant after I wash up.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
You think yugioh tourneys are bad? Try a Warhammer 40k event. Sometimes you can literally smell the neckbeards from outside.

There used to be a hobby shop in my hometown that did big Warhammer tournies every few moments. I went into there once to help out and yeah, man, that's probably the most vile smelling thing I've ever experienced. And I lived for a year in village in a developing country where my host family only showered about 2-3 times a week

Oct 25, 2017
It's usually a combination but the people that stink make a way bigger impact than poor ventilation. you can have central air conditioning cranked at a yugioh/pokemon cards/mtg/smash event and the place will still smell horrible.

btw deodderant does work provided you're clean when you put it on.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I don't get it, i need to shower every day otherwise I just feel off

sure, occasionally on a lazy Sunday I might not wash myself, but I can't imagine going to an event of any sort without first showering

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't body odor.

The smell was actually the decks because everyone sprayed their cards with perfume in order to know what they would draw next.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
It's such a bad stereotype that nerds smell but unfortunately it is true for some. I feel like the majority of people are ok but if even 5% smell it's enough to notice.
I went to watch orchestra for a soundtrack performed live recently and the smell was unbearable

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, i need to shower every day otherwise I just feel off

sure, occasionally on a lazy Sunday I might not wash myself, but I can't imagine going to an event of any sort without first showering
I'd shower twice a day if warm water wasn't so freaking expensive.
After waking up it just feels weird not to shower, can actually "feel" the sweat/oil on skin etc. and before going to bed there's no higher luxury than taking warm shower and hopping to bed.

Dec 23, 2017
Bad body odor? You just activated my trap card, Mirror Force!

iu

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I'd shower twice a day if warm water wasn't so freaking expensive.
After waking up it just feels weird not to shower, can actually "feel" the sweat/oil on skin etc. and before going to bed there's no higher luxury than taking warm shower and hopping to bed.

I agree, that's why I find it so hard to relate to people that don't wash. As you said, showering/bathing feels like a luxury, not a chore

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of people are bad at cleaning themselves.
Like sure they have a shower but do they actually scrub themselves well?

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
There are a lot of people out there who refuse to use deodorant because they "don't smell" according to their own reports. They're just born lucky that way, and it's not that they can't smell themselves the way others smell them. Of course they have friends who would "definitely tell them" if they smelled. Although gamers are in a league of their own when it comes to personal hygiene.

Dec 2, 2017
I used to run Pokemon organised play events and I remember some parents of younger kids complaining about this same issue. I did put something on our Facebook group at the time asking nicely that people respected other people's senses of smell in these events, but it didn't make any difference.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
From what I've heard from people who run friendly local game stores, Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments smelled the worst. Magic, Pokémon, Warhammer, none of those would smell great, but Yu-Gi-Oh was somehow uniquely awful.

It's sort of like the reputation Smash tourneys have of being worse than even other fighting game tourneys.

Dec 2, 2017
I don't see how people can leave the house without showering.
I had one person at tournaments (won't use names or locations) who always smelled bad and always wore the same hooded sweatshirt, with a pikachu on it. Turned out after some inquiries he never washed the sweat shirt and in fact hadn't washed it for months. He wore it to events and regular weekly play, then took it off and just put it back next week or for events.

Oct 31, 2017
The smelly nerd stereotype is one I wish never existed, but it's disappointingly true. Every single nerd event that I visit has a horrid odor. It's really not difficult to keep yourself clean, there's just no excuse.

Prototype

Sep 2, 2023
It's crazy that they even have to point out that people should wash themselves before coming. And it still does not work...

Also offtopic but when will people finally stop calling it "X (formerly twitter)"? Call it X or call it twitter. Just make your mind up already.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Wear clean clothes and wash up. Unless you got some medical problems that prevent that, please do everyone the bare minimum when socializing.😑

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Go read a few ERA threads about showering. Several people here admit to not showering every day and genuinely think they don't smell like ass.

You dont need to shower everyday to not smell. Its kinda individual how frequently you have to do it and how your body is doing things.

However ... before an event its rly not much of an ask to take a quick shower.