One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This tweet in the reply says it better than I ever could

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Roll your eyes all you want but people still gunna be lining up for this fucking thing.
I doubt anybody will be lining up for it but lol i'm imagining some white dudes in brooklyn walking around with pan africanist apple watches and it's making me die laughing

This is no different than their project RED part of proceeds go to
then make a regular watch and don't co opt the pan african movement lol

melloon

Jan 17, 2021
I don't even know what to say about this beyond how absolutely tired I am of seeing corporations pretend to care about oppressed peoples

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
If I wear one of these does it automatically give me "ally" status?

Can I refer to it to prove I'm not racists? Like, "It's ok that I said that, I have black unity watchband."

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I doubt anybody will be lining up for it but lol i'm imagining some white dudes in brooklyn walking around with pan africanist apple watches and it's making me die laughing

then make a regular watch and don't co opt the pan african movement lol
How is this co-opting? Those are their colors just like RED is for AIDS.

Feb 1, 2018

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's something that exists now. I know 2 friends who would wear it instantly if anything.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you outsiders are in over your head.

It's silly as hell and fraudulent for Apple or any billion dollar corp to rep "Pan-Africanism".

Go do your homework and find out why.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
www.cnet.com

Apple to build tech ed campus in Atlanta for historically Black colleges and universities

As part of its $100 million "racial equity and justice" initiative, Apple's investing in education in Atlanta, an app development center in Detroit and venture funding in New York.

It seems like some of you would prefer Apple do nothing?

This is a cool initiative but it doesn't make the company immune to criticism. We can praise them for doing good and criticize them for getting it wrong

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

You keep mentioning AIDS like AIDS is a marginalized ethnic group that created colors to signify liberation and I don't understand? Lol.
I don't need to be schooled on pan-Africanism. I know what it is. Money is going to black groups and I see zero problem with this bringing money and also bringing more awareness to the movement.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is foolery, but if it will fill the coffers of orgs that actually want to do this work, I'll simply side-eye Apple from the sidelines for trying to flag pan-Africanism and accept that bread to advance racial equity.

While they're at it, they better start hiring more Black folks, more city and state public college folks, and not just at their retail outlets goddammit.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I don't know why they can't just donate a % of profits in February to the same organizations they want to support, rather than tying it to a specific watch band? I mean, sure, sell the band if you want; but don't condition donations on purchasing it specifically.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Lol 😂 I see this thread going exactly as expected. I had to click to confirm, I knew it was gonna be some "this is a good thing guys" bullshit.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Inspired by the call to action of both the historic and current movements, the Black Unity Sport Band has "Truth. Power. Solidarity." laser-engraved onto the interior of the stainless steel fastening pin.
Some of the stuff they announced with Apple Music, Maps, etc for BHM seems fine but this is just lol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm slandering anyone I see with it as part of my tribute to Black History Month.
Do it!!

Target demo right there

I don't want your iShackles white man
looool. Totally a Chappelle skit.