Is Taylor Swift white women's Larry Bird ?

• Yes

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 60.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kanye would definitely say that is accurate

I don't think the analogy makes sense because there is no similar racial disparity in pop music. No one would ever bat an eye at someone mentioning Madonna, Cher, Lady Gaga, etc. in the same sense. It also comes across as pretty dumb when she's currently touring in Brazil. Eminem fits the concept better but that's not really a joke, this just seems like a halfhearted attempt to play off that conversation

Last edited:

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Let me know if I'm outta pocket, but Imma take a wild swing and say that there's a high probability that Larry Bird might be more older POC's favorite baller than an older white person's. Just my perspective having come up in the 80's adjacent to the projects.

I don't think the same can be said for TS. That girl's demo is egg shell all the way to the nosebleeds. *edit - in the states at least

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's unfortunate because she's done her best to push back against it with tracks with Kendrick/bigging up non traditional looking and acting artists, but for a minute she was set up as a 'real' pop star who can 'play guitar' and 'write her own stuff' unlike rappers and more entertainment focused dancing stars who skewer POC and queer as a marketing point. It's why it's kind of funny watching Country music, where she honed her chops, balance trying to be inclusive because it's roots with black music go deep but also having someone like Morgan Wallen's back.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I don't get this obsession with trying to paint Taylor Swift as a white woman only kind of artist - she has one of the most diverse fanbases out there on a worldwide level. This shit is just corny.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never heard of Larry Bird so comparing some nobody to Taylot Swift seems odd

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So, what does it mean when TS sells out stadiums in Asia? Or that poc go to her concerts in Europe and NA? Or sell out in SA?

And the best is relative. Some folks will say Swift is better than Beyonce and some will say the opposite. Does it matter? Are some people that insecure that they cannot handle someone saying they feel one artist is better than another?

Entropic

May 7, 2023
I've never heard of Larry Bird so comparing some nobody to Taylot Swift seems odd

thats-bait-no-text.gif

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No that one specific person out of the 8 billion people on earth whose voice is currently being highlighted is not making a good comparison

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this analogy probably applies better to someone like Adele, in that she exists in a category of singers more closely associated with black women specifically and is both considered hughly technically talented (Something I don't really see Swift fans argue) and near unprecedentedly successful (Commercially in, far beyond most of her black peers.

The thing is people here and likely in that crowd might agree with the idea that Adele is deserving of that level of respect so the joke wouldn't land the same.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I agree with the premise

"Coming to America" had a whole bit about Rocky Marciano and boxing fans if you wanted a better racism test. Heavyweight boxing has fallen way off over the past few decades so that might be too esoteric now.

This is also the weirdest time to bring up "Larry Bird" when the NBA has guys like Luka and Jokic now.

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
First off, don't anyone dare besmirch the good name of the hick from French Lick. Secondly, just let people enjoy their stuff, man. Who cares.

The 28th Hour

Alt Account
Banned
May 27, 2023
8ac36243-nikola-jokic-nba.jpg
i mean this dude might literally be the best player in the NBA right now..kind of odd to bring up Bird

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
User Banned (2 Weeks): Misogynistic rhetoric
Larry Bird is much higher on the all-time great list in his respective field than Travis Kelce's girlfriend.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wildly different topic but are we saying sales are what make you the all-time greatest in the space?
It's a discussion. I don't put Michael Jackson in the same country as Stevie Wonder in terms of talent and quality of music but Taylor is the closest I have seen to MJ levels of success in the states since MJ took over for a few years in the 80s.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pop music is not something I'd consider POC dominated like basketball, so kind of an odd comparison. Now if Taylor Swift was a white K-popstar I'd get it

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue a better analogy is if you ask someone who is the best rapper of all time and they answer Eminem.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Well

If people are shelling out for her, she's doing something extremely well.
But that starts with an uneven playing field for minorities and "less marketable" people in this country. It's subjective at the end of the day, I know, but I dunno. Just had always felt weird to me that "person who sells most = best"

Not saying you're saying that. Just speaking in general.

Honestly I have no idea how great a songwriter she is, or how great a vocalist she is compared to the greats; I don't really listen to her music except for when it's playing somewhere I am. But she definitely is one of, if not THE most popular artist in the world.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It's a funny bit, aside from the needless gendering or who would or wouldn't know sports. I don't think it's meant to be quite so literal, like some are taking it. Nobody actually thinks every single person who says Taylor Swift is their favorite singer is a racist.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
the amount of people that never watched Bird play and just use his skin color as punchlines is disgusting

go ask the older generation who were alive during the magic bird era to actually understand how good larry bird was. go listen to magic's interviews on how good bird was. but nah, it's easier to just go "hurrrrr basketball eminem lolz" than learning some history

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Never heard of Larry Bird before this thread. Wheres here in the UK, Taylor Swift is a household name.

I've heard of Larry Heard though.

Status
Not open for further replies.