Oct 28, 2017
Long story short, littles ones are getting into Dinosaurs and as much as I would like to just show them Dinobot clips and Jurassic Park, I kinda need to be a responsible parent. Any way, I have just watched maybe 30 plus episodes of Dinosaur Train, with its legit knowledge and I said how come there are no Brontosauruses on this show and one of my other kids said because they are not real? They are called Brachiosaurus now. WHAT THE FUCK?!!?

Fred Flintstone you son of a bitch, you're entire show is a lie!

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Long story short, littles ones are getting into Dinosaurs and as much as I would like to just show them Dinobot clips and Jurassic Park, I kinda need to be a responsible parent. Any way, I have just watched maybe 30 plus episodes of Dinosaur Train, with its legit knowledge and I said how come there are no Brontosauruses on this show and one of my other kids said because they are not real? They are called Brachiosaurus now. WHAT THE FUCK?!!?

Your kids are mixed up. There are issues around the classification of Brontosaurus, but this is down to whether or not it exists distinct from, or is simply a different kind of, Apatosaurus.

Brachiosaurus is a wholly separate family and several clades over

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they bring back the brontosaurus name some time in the past decade to make all of us olds feel better about ourselves?

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
They're back (kind of)!

This is one of those things that comes down to "how different do these things need to be before they're a different species."

For a while, people thought they weren't different enough from Apatasaurus - so they classified with them. But some people disagree and have advocated bringing them back:

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
They're just random bones from different animals cobbled together. My whole childhood was a lie.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
from the little research i did it sounds like its a Pluto situation

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think dimetrodon (the one with the back fan) is either. It was funky to learn that it was a sort of proto-mammal.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So we don't have to cry about little foot"s mom dying because brontosaurus never existed.

Last edited:

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I guess I can live with this, so long as my favorite dino T Rex remains the baddest of the bad and isn't just some overgrown vulture living off carrion.

Whew, thank goodness!

Right, guy?

R-r-right??

Oct 26, 2017
California
Kids are wrong, as usual.

The first recorded evidence of Brontosaurus was discovered in the 1870s in the USA. But by the early 1900s, scientists had started to question whether the fossils used to name Brontosaurus actually came from another dinosaur, the remarkably similar Apatosaurus.

Due to the rules of scientific naming - the first name published gets priority - Brontosaurus was relegated to scientific history and the fossils reassigned to Apatosaurus. That was until a study in 2015 unexpectedly found evidence that Brontosaurus was distinct from Apatosaurus all along, signalling the reinstated status of this iconic dinosaur.

www.nhm.ac.uk

Brontosaurus: reinstating a prehistoric icon

Brontosaurus is an iconic dinosaur, but for over 100 years, palaeontologists thought it didn't exist

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I don't think dimetrodon (the one with the back fan) is either. It was funky to learn that it was a sort of proto-mammal.

Yeah when I was a kid in the 80s they were referred to as amphibians but I think the proto mammal thing is fairly new? I even saw someone put whiskers on one in art.

I guess I can live with this, so long as my favorite dino T Rex remains the baddest of the bad and isn't just some overgrown vulture living off carrion.

Whew, thank goodness!

Right, guy?

R-r-right??

100%. Super fast. No feathers. Hunted even when he wasn't hungry. Roar so loud he made leaves fall from trees. Listened to hip hop and beat Elden Ring at lvl 10.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

keep up old man
tumblr_mjone9JNfq1qfbt2oo1_500.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Tell me Stegosauruses are a thing - they're my favourite

Oct 8, 2019

what?

No Brontosaurus are closely related to Apatosaurus, as Metanoia Prime mentioned it was determined that Apatosaurus, and Brontosaurus were the same genus in the 1900's but in 2015 some scientist have argued that there is enough differences to determine that Apatosaurus are the same genus.

Brachiosaurus are completely different dinosaurs and are not closely related at all.

Yeah when I was a kid in the 80s they were referred to as amphibians but I think the proto mammal thing is fairly new? I even saw someone put whiskers on one in art.

They were referred to mammal-like Reptiles, because scientist thought they evolved from reptiles, but it was determined that reptiles and birds are Sauropsida while mammals and their ancestors are Synapsids.

Now Mammal-like Reptiles are referred to as Stem Mammals or proto-mammals

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Ha, I was about to post something similar except saying that Grimlock is not really a proper T rex either.

And then you get to the Dilophosaurus, which is known in Jurassic park as the one with a neck frill and able to spit venom, both of which were entirely made up for the book.

Basically don't pretend these are educational and go take your dinosaur loving kid to a museum or display of some sort, they'll learn all kinds of stuff.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Come on OP we all know birds aren't real so why should their forefathers be? just look at them, it is clearly just a hoax made up by the lizard people.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Brontosaurus and Brachiosaurus are two different things. Though with some dinos there has been discussion if they truly looked the way we portrayed them as, I don't remember if this is the case with Brontosauri or not.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Thread has taught me 2 things:

I don't know the first damned thing about dinosaurs:

and

and most of the media I have ever seen on dinosaurs is filled with made up gobbledygook.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its called Apatosaurus for about 100+ years now lol. Brachiosaurus is something else but realistically we are talking about piles of bones here.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Tell me Stegosauruses are a thing - they're my favourite
Here's a fun, mildly mind-blowing fact about stegosaurs: There is less time separating humans and t. rex than the time difference between t. rex and stegosaurus. (66 million years vs 77 million years)

Thread has taught me 2 things:

I don't know the first damned thing about dinosaurs:

and

and most of the media I have ever seen on dinosaurs is filled with made up gobbledygook.

Watch this Twitch channel and you'll learn more about dinosaurs than your kids pretty quickly: unless they watch it too :p

www.twitch.tv

Paleontologizing - Twitch

I'm a dinosaur paleontologist and science communicator, now streaming every weekday on Twitch! Join me live for the latest paleontology news, fossil discussion and Q&A, plus live broadcasts from the field during the summer. If you appreciate science, you'll feel right at home in this community

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Dinosaurs? More like lie-nosaurs!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember them being announced as not a thing when I was in high school or something but then they came back for some reason much later.

3rd grade science book printers getting real annoyed