benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: there will be some loot after all but this wasn't mentioned in the blog

It's subjective but both it and the Devotion one are among the best looking ones from the whole event, if you ask me. You can also earn an Epic Octane and a Rare R-301 skin for free, you'll be getting some nice stuff if you play during the event if you don't spend any money.

apex-media-fight-or-fright-challenges.jpg

TL;DR - What's in the Event & Key Changes to the Event Structure:

• Limited Time Mode - Shadowfall
    • Featuring a nighttime version of Kings Canyon
  • Exclusive event challenges with free earnable cosmetics, including Two Legendary Weapon Skins
  • 24 Event Limited premium cosmetics that players can now unlock in one of three ways:
    • Direct purchase for Apex Coins
    • Direct unlock with Crafting Metals
    • Random unlock with Event Apex Packs
      • Additionally, the Event Currency in these packs has been replaced with non-event loot drops, yielding more loot overall
  • Lifeline Heirloom Set Preview
    • Unlock all 24 Fight or Fright pack cosmetics during the event and unlock the Lifeline Heirloom set for free
  • Double XP for Top 5 & Wins Weekend

So we are getting two weapon skins which have nothing to do with actual event packs. And getting event skins for characters and weapons is impossible without spending money. But...

All 24 Event-Exclusive Fight or Fright Collection Event items will be available, from day 1, via direct purchase, crafting, and Event Apex Packs.

• Direct Purchase
    • Legendaries - 1,800 Apex Coins
    • Epics - 1,000 Apex Coins
  • Crafting
    • Legendaries - 2,400 Crafting Metals
    • Epics - 800 Crafting Metals
  • Event Apex Packs
    • 700 Apex Coins
Nobody has that many crafting materials and even if they do, they will not spend 2400 on one skin because they won't have enough for the next event or two. Lootboxes stop dropping at all after level 100 and crafting mats too.

We listened they said, we hear you complaints they said.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
You are not entitled for free packs in a f2p game.

Overwatch gives one free pack if you log in and the rest is lootboxes or spend money to buy lootboxes.

This game is premium, not even F2P.

24 Event Limited premium cosmetics that players can now unlock in one of three ways:

Direct purchase for Apex Coins

Direct unlock with Crafting Metals

Random unlock with Event Apex Packs

You have 3 choices, if you expect to get things for free your are delusional.

And getting event skins for characters and weapons is impossible without spending money

No shit, they are not making an event to give you free skins lmao
The entitlement is strong in the one.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The jack up in crafting price is absurd when it's not easy to even have 1200.

Another $7 lottery ticket event incoming.

OP
OP
benzopil

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch gives one free pack if you log in and the rest is lootboxes or spend money to buy lootboxes.
Yes, you can get an infinite amount of lootboxes for free for playing the game.

They gave 2 free lootboxes out of 24 during the previous event, what are you talking about?

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, you can get an infinite amount of lootboxes for free for playing the game.

I'm talking about EVENTS.

You get one free lootbox if you log-in and if you want a skins you either SPEND MONEY for having a chance to get the skin you want or keep playing for hours and if you are lucky you will find your 3000 season skin.
And events skins are 3000, when legendaries are 1000.

They gave 2 free lootboxes out of 24 during the previous event, what are you talking about?

Previous event, and people were mad and upset about the old system.
Now they are giving you a direct purchase if you want a skin, expecting free lootboxes is unresonable.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
A free to play game that provides free service and free updates does not give you free lootboxes? How dare they

Oct 25, 2017
16800 Apex Coins for the big skin. Big oof, nothing has changed. Just to make it clear, $100 gives you 11500 Apex Coins.

I don't mind spending money on this free game, but the prices are nuts.

OP
OP
benzopil

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

You get one free lootbox if you log-in and if you want a skins you either SPEND MONEY for having a chance to get the skin you want or keep playing for hours and if you are lucky you will find your 3000 season skin.
So there is a chance, got it.

Some people are insane, they want everything for free and how dare developers asking money for cosmetics when they are offering a fully fledged free to play game.
Jesus christ.

Yes, expecting 2 out of 24 lootboxes for free is "wanting everything for free".

Does Siege provide free packs during events? Nope

Actually, siege lets you have 1-2 free packs with in-game challenges via Ubisoft Club. I've gotten 2 free packs from last year's Halloween event and Rainbow is Magic along with other in-game events by doing the challenges for Ubisoft club.

Even with events like pro league matches, you can get charms and stuff just by watching the stream or doing Ubisoft Club challenges.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Does Siege provide free packs during events? Nope

Both of these games are premium, not even F2P.

You have 3 choices, if you expect to get things for free your are delusional.

Wow you got angry, are you ok? Do you need water?

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, siege lets you have 1-2 free packs with in-game challenges via Ubisoft Club. I've gotten 2 free packs from last year's Halloween event and Rainbow is Magic along with other in-game events by doing the challenges for Ubisoft club.

Even with events like pro league matches, you can get charms and stuff just by watching the stream or doing Ubisoft Club challenges.

In-game challeneges only give you renows and XP, not packs.
The Alpha packs are randomly dropped, i don't remember alpha packs given for free by completing the daily or weekly challenges.

Wow you got angry, are you ok? Do you need water?

Now replying to a thread makes you angry?
Sorry what?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You get one free lootbox if you log-in and if you want a skins you either SPEND MONEY for having a chance to get the skin you want.
And events skins are 3000, when legendaries are 1000.

Previous event, and people were mad and upset.
Now they are giving you a direct purchase if you want a skin, expecting free lootboxes is unresonable.

Overwatch gives you infinite lootboxes even in events. One per level, always. You can easily save coins up to buy exactly what you want in an event even with the increased price.

Respawn added direct purchases at the last event and it was $20 per skin. This is the same, with the addition of direct crafting, which is jacked up super high to the point that people who played since day one can maybe make one single thing if they never used any mats they ever got. You get 1200 for maxing an entire battle pass and making one item here is now 2400.

They are doing all of this so people buy the $7 lootboxes instead. It's a way better "deal" but sucks you into RNG so it preys in people who dip their toes into it and don't get what they want.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Are you sure? Last free pack was the random "Siege birthday" alpha pack that gave away one operator or 25k renow.
Not sure if that qualified as an event.
The Hallowen one, the cowboy event, and the summer one all gave free one free lootbox, then there's a community event that gave out on more. It wasn't you're traditional "get X kills with Y", it was more like "The community must get 50,000 headshots for everyone to get a free pack" or something along those lines

Oct 26, 2017
Overwatch gives you infinite lootboxes even in events. One per level, always. You can easily save coins up to buy exactly what you want in an event even with the increased price.

Respawn added direct purchases at the last event and it was $20 per skin. This is the same, with the addition of direct crafting, which is jacked up super high to the point that people who played since day one can maybe make one single thing if they never used any mats they ever got. You get 1200 for maxing an entire battle pass and making one item here is now 2400.

They are doing all of this so people buy the $7 lootboxes instead. It's a way better "deal" but sucks you into RNG so it preys in people who dip their toes into it and don't get what they want.

You can easily save coins as long as you drop coins, this might take you a lot of hours of grinding, there is no direct skins purchase, everything is inflated thanks to the lootbox systems. If you want a skin in Apex Legends you have 3 choices, listed in the thread, this is a way better deal, i really don't understand why people keep complaning, if they think the prices are high, they should look and play more F2P games.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure? Last free pack was the random "Siege birthday" alpha pack that gave away one operator or 25k renow.

So it's better to have A CHANCE than buying the skin directly?

Smart thinking.
Yes. Me and my friends have over 800h in Siege and played the game since release. You always get one free pack at the start of the event + another free one via a challenge (win 10 matches or something like that) + sometimes even another challenge pack one week later. However if you want to have all event cosmetics, you still have to spend ~120€. At least there are no dublicates.

Edit: Because you wrote it above
Alpha packs =/= event packs! Every new event gets an own new event pack that is only obtainable via the methods I listed above.
And sometimes Ubi does some additional challenges and all players who complete it will get the same cosmetic item (only obtainable by completing this challenge, each challenge lasts 7 days).

Now to make things more complicated, last week they gave out an epic alpha pack for doing a challenge. That was new. xD

Last edited:

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
i really hope they gave you some free stuff to get you started. fortnite does this really well tbh.
i didnt expect them to give me free stuff just something to celebrate the occasion with was enough.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my ignorance here but I find the vitriol around cosmetic items in this game confusing. They have no impact on gameplay and you do not have to buy them. I thought the general rule was as long as that line was maintained developers could do what they pleased with them and people were fine with it?

I know lootboxes as a concept get into gambling mechanics and that I understand the issue with. But what is the issue with simply offering skins you can buy and not giving them out for free?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I haven't spent a single cent in the game and I feel like the amount of cosmetics I have gotten for free is pretty good. But I wish there was a way to grind for event stuff, even if it was stupidly slow.

Also reminder that lootboxes are inherently abusive, but that's a topic for another day

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You can easily save coins as long as you drop coins, this might take you a lot of hours of grinding, there is no direct skins purchase, everything is inflated thanks to the lootbox systems. If you want a skin in Apex Legends you have 3 choices, listed in the thread, this is a way better deal, i really don't understand why people keep complaning, if they think the prices are high, they should look and play more F2P games.

I have over 12 days of playtime in apex and can craft one item in this event with a a currency I have not spent since launch. Overwatch gives you a steady stream of coins if you play a lot, since it actually rewards the hardcore players unlike Apex.

I have not received an apex pack since...march? Because once you hit max level it stops completely. You can get nothing anymore without spending money, and the pool of items is super diluted. Battle passes give you a small handful over a couple of months.

I have played plenty of f2p games and have never seen a game this stingy. I play a mobile gacha game that gives more freebies, lol. Apex is trying to do a blend of Fortnite and OW monetization and it's failing at both. Atleast I have 100K+ of a totally useless currency I guess.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
I have over 12 days of playtime in apex and can craft one item in this event with a a currency I have not spent since launch. Overwatch gives you a steady stream of coins if you play a lot, since it actually rewards the hardcore players unlike Apex.

I have not received an apex pack since...march? Because once you hit max level it stops completely. You can get nothing anymore without spending money, and the pool of items is super diluted. Battle passes give you a small handful over a couple of months.

I have played plenty of f2p games and have never seen a game this stingy. I play a mobile gacha game that gives more freebies, lol. Apex is trying to do a blend of Fortnite and OW monetization and it's failing at both. Atleast I have 100K+ of a totally useless currency I guess.
Wait, you stop getting free packs after you reach max level? That fucking sucks. What a shitty system lmao. I'm about to hit max level...

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that annoys me is the pricing of this stuff... I've spent a fair bit on Apex packs around the launch time - and I spend plenty in other F2P games. But they just aren't getting any more of my money, and haven't done for months, because of their crazy high pricing.

I honestly don't understand it. The event packs each time are pretty expensive and the lucrative item (Heirloom) always requires upwards of $200 to unlock. It just stops me from bothering putting any money down full stop. And don't get me started on the prices of the regular skins in the in-game store.

Not having any method of getting at least one or two free packs during the event sucks, but it is a free game so it's hard to argue about it. Just makes me even less incentivised to spend money.

Oct 26, 2017

Dota 2.

You get randomly pieces of sets every X games (or if you are lucky some low quality sets), you don't drop boxes anymore and if you want something you either have to buy a treasure chest or buy directly from Dota 2 Store or Steam Market, but of course not everything is sold in the Dota 2 Store or Steam Market and you have to gamble your way through boxes.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you stop getting free packs after you reach max level? That fucking sucks. What a shitty system lmao. I'm about to hit max level...

Yup. The game only gives you legend tokens in every level up after that, which is conveniently pretty much never fuckin' used.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Forgive my ignorance here but I find the vitriol around cosmetic items in this game confusing. They have no impact on gameplay and you do not have to buy them. I thought the general rule was as long as that line was maintained developers could do what they pleased with them and people were fine with it?

I know lootboxes as a concept get into gambling mechanics and that I understand the issue with. But what is the issue with simply offering skins you can buy and not giving them out for free?
I agree, cosmetics aren't that big of a deal, but then people started to argue that they weren't getting a complete experience for a game they played, or something along those lines.

i HeaR MusiC

Oct 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I will never understand why people expect anything else free in a f2p game. I just don't get it. Ow isn't f2p.. siege isn't f2p. I don't think I can think of any f2p game that gives you free loot boxes with every event. They actually had free boxes with the last event and people still complained, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
EA teaching the community that if they cannot screw you over with the lootbox, they will price the content so high you wish you got the lootbox.

I agree, cosmetics aren't that big of a deal, but then people started to argue that they weren't getting a complete experience for a game they played, or something along those lines.

You should read about business models and how premium skins are priced, also how events usually work in other games.

Pleading ignorance about the subject and saying that you don't care about cosmetics makes your position problematic, because it allows companies to sell more timed-exclusive skins for the price of a full game. Even if you don't care abou cosmetics, you should still at least understand why people who care about cosmeitcs are unhappy about absurd pricing/progression.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
EA teaching the community that if they cannot screw you over with the lootbox, they will price the content so high you wish you got the lootbox.

You should read about business models and how premium skins are priced, also how events usually work in other games.

Pleading ignorance about the subject and saying that you don't care about cosmetics makes your position problematic, because it allows companies to sell more timed-exclusive skins for the price of a full game. Even if you don't care abou cosmetics, you should still at least understand why people who care about cosmeitcs are unhappy about absurd pricing/progression.
You're mixing up two people's posts. I pleaded ignorance, they were responding to me.

I understand that the skins are expensive, I certainly wouldn't buy them. Why is it a problem for anyone besides the business that they're unaffordable?

Regarding what other games are doing with events, why would that matter for Apex? They don't have to follow the business models of other games. If that ends up hurting their business then that's on them.

Feb 24, 2018

Yep, they've done this before, only in the reverse to make microtransactions look less bad, it's creepy and manipulative and it's so sad it works so well. Plus I'm still amazed people are STILL using the "It's just cosmetics" argument after all this time when it has been proven time and time again to be false. Maybe it's because I just watched the latest Jimqusistion, but at this point no, cosmetics, customisation etc are really important to many games including this one.

I gave up on Apex quite awhile ago because my friends stopped playing it and I could see where it was going once EA took a heavy interest in it after Anthem and that was before things got as stingy as they are now.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
16800 Apex Coins for the big skin. Big oof, nothing has changed. Just to make it clear, $100 gives you 11500 Apex Coins.

what the actual fuck lmao

And people are defending this?

...why?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dota 2.

You get randomly pieces of sets every X games (or if you are lucky some low quality sets), you don't drop boxes anymore and if you want something you either have to buy a treasure chest or buy directly from Dota 2 Store or Steam Market, but of course not everything is sold in the Dota 2 Store or Steam Market and you have to gamble your way through boxes.

In Dota all heroes are free to use. Even with a meager 8 heroes in Apex, two of them are locked behind pay/grind wall.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

16800 apex coins for all the skins, and that's actually a much fairer bet than hoping to get it in loot boxes, lol.
what the actual fuck lmao

And people are defending this?

...why?
Free is free. I've got 400+ hours of this game for zero dollars. They're unlikely to ever get a cent from me.
That alternator skin is glorious.