lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Users of the Apex Legends subreddit were left shocked and outraged last night as two Respawn developers called gamers "dicks", suggested they were "ass-hats" and described them as "freeloaders" in unfiltered public comments.

Responding to overwhelming criticism to an official apology and step-back from the game's recent controversial microtransaction changes in the Iron Crown event two Respawn developers, dk05 (a Respawn Developer) and Jayfresh_Respawn (the Respawn Community Manager), fired back with insults, sarcastic comments and attacks on the gaming community.

The offending comments:

I36Hx79r.png

Link

65qvXpz.jpg

Link 2

IPu8z02r.png

Link 3

https://medium.com/@BenjaminWareing/apex-legends-developers-spark-outrage-c110034fe236

Horrible look for Respawn and shockingly this is dominating the subreddit right now.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Complaining about criticism while realising you overstepped and only acted as a result of said criticism is bizarre. Calling out someone that's being a toxic dick is distinct from that, no issue there.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
He's right, gamers are trash and entitled, there's nothing wrong with that.

The gaming community says worse things to developers, i stand with the Apex dev in this case.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Saw that on Reddit and it's disgusting. I would understand if the community were cussing them but they were criticising something that's worth pointing out

Won't say Respawn are pathetic because of individuals behaviour

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I mean they're right tho

Like the comment is right there lmfao

The sooner enthusiast gamers realize that they're kind of garbage the better tbqh

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Gamers are by and large entitled scum and I take no issue with developers calling out their shitty, vitriolic and abusive behaviour.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Very unprofessional, but honesely can you blame them? We are a toxic community and I can only imagine what insult they have to read every day.

Insult a dev ---- dev insults you back ---- pikachu face

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I mean are they wrong? "Anything from you in the future can die"

Like I get that people don't like micro transactions. But nah, fuck these dumbass gamers.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Ooooh, I expect another "we've learned from this" apology soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Well people who play F2P games and don't spend money are technically freeloaders as they benefit from the few whales who do

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
God, I hate the Reddit smugness that the player commenting has. As unprofessional as it is, they're not wrong.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They deserve a fair bit of criticism for a $200 skin event. Let's not defend them on this.

Sure, I think, just like fortnite, their monetization method definitely warrants scrutinization. 12 dollars a skin and 170 dollars for a full set is...too high, let's put it that way, it's just too high.

At the same time, outside of that one area, they're totally right. People acting like they're entitled to every piece of an event release without doing anything or paying anything is just embarrassing. They were a little raw about it, but people are raw about things on this very website every day, myself included.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Freeloader part is a really bad look, even if it was in jest. Apex pricing is awful and why I'll never put money in. The, I think, £16 Valentine's day banner pretty much immediately turned me of supporting Apex directly. I wanted to, but nothing was even close to worthwhile, so I went and bought TF2 for £6 instead and not long after dropped Apex.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is the outrage because those terms are still genuinely too mild? Cause imo they could go in harder on some of these fuccbois and still come off as too tame.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
They're right but they're also not in the best position at the moment to be making comments like this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
IPu8z02.png

17c.png

There are hundreds of ways of running discounts, sales and the like. Also going past the fact that the skins have long-since been criticised as being lacklustre. If you lower the price on the product and the needle doesn't move perhaps look at the wider value proposition (like people feeling invested in the overall aesthetic and quality of cosmetics). The irony was they actually stepped up the skin game to where I'd care to continue investing - but then pulled the pricing nonsense with the event that they did.

This event was them overextending and they've admitted as much. You can't complain at the backlash and declare this is all a necessity when you've out and out said you stepped past the line.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
OP, you are reaching with this one and your title is the sort of clickbait material many chastise journalists for. Yes, the devs could have been more appropriate with their wording and kept their emotions in check but the context, which you have completely glossed over, is important.

As the post above me noted, the devs are not factually wrong. In other words, the delivery could have been more appropriate in a public setting, but the content is mostly spot on.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
They ain't wrong. Considering how vitriolic people can get in other social media, I can only imagine the amount of hate they got.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, it's a little unprofessional. On the other, those comments are 100%, completely correct.

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
Sorry, I'm on the dev's side, unprofessional or not. The poster in those screen caps is a goddamn embarrassment. But maybe that's just the whiskey talking.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm not going to criticise the dev for being honest because the words ring very true. Looking at that subreddit though...yeesh I'm not sure it was a good move for the game.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Gamers are trash and the Apex service model is a scam. Don't pay or don't play, that's the only feedback they care about.