WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Probably going to get a lot of hate for this post because it's Apple and mobile, but…

Seeing how many devs (both indy and traditional) have pledged support and more than your usual pay-to-win mobile trash games, there actually seems to be a lot of good stuff. Pair this w/ the ability to use your DualShock or Xbox One controllers w/ your iPhones, iPads or AppleTV, iCloud sync between them all, I feel like for $5 a month for this is a really good service.

There's waaaaaay more than $5 worth of games I already would have plunked down on Switch for indy titles alone and I can't wait to start using real controllers with my devices. The AppleTV might actually turn out to be a good little indy machine too now that it properly supports controllers (not to mention Steam Link).

A handful of the games I'm looking forward to–

Exit the Gungeon

Sayonara Wild Hearts

ChuChu Rocket

Manifold Garden

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Excited to check it out on my Apple TV, I just wish controller support was a bit wider reaching. I don't have a need for a XBO or PS4 controller, so buying one of them just to play games on the Apple TV is a hard sell.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised, I expected a junk subscription like what Amazon tried to do with mobile games a few years back.

I'm not in the ecosystem at all so I probably won't be able to play them, but the games look good.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I wouldn't go out and buy an Apple product expressly for this just yet, but since I already have an iPad I am Pretty Darn Interested!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I hope there's a way they can free the mobile market from free to start crap littered everywhere!

So I really hope it works for Devs, and players (and apple).

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
$4.99/mo or $60/year is a compelling price, especially if they offer bundle pricing, provided the games aren't complete trash.

I'd also like to see some games that have come to iOS from other platforms recently (Hyper Light Drifter, Dead Cells, and Stardew Valley, to name a few) also get ports to tvOS, so I can share progress.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think it can be great, but for me personally, it all hinges on the number of titles that have controller support. I'm not really interested in touch controls for *most games.

*I acknowledge that some titles with touch / alternative controls are pretty enjoyable. Looking at you, Ridiculous Fishing.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they've made a pretty strong case for it. I doubt I stay subbed for long periods but can see getting it for a month or two here and there.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think it'll definitely be worth it.

Native support for Bluetooth XB1 and PS4 controllers is something I've wanted from iOS for a LOOOOOONG time and will be awesome for every game that has gamepad support.

And $5 a month is definitely in the "why not?" price category for me, especially when I'd probably have spent $5 for some of these games individually.

I just picked up an iPad Pro 11in and I can't wait to try some of these games out.

My only complaint is that this might keep more games off of Android (which is my preferred phone). Game parity across Android and iOS has gotten a lot better than it once was, you still get some exclusive bigger games on iOS now and then, but most stuff usually finds its way to Android if not day one then usually pretty quick.
It'll suck if it means more and more games won't come to Android.

At least games will only be mobile exclusive, so I can still get them on Switch or console (in some cases).
I'm curious if like Netflix, Apple Arcade games will eventually drop off of the service and be allowed to come to Android eventually.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
If it had a good selection of VNs and adventure games I'd be interested. I don't by games on iOS because I'm slow at playing games and your depending on the publisher to keep the game updated through iOS revisions which hopefully will be a given for games on the subscription.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The games appear very good. I am not a fan of those games on mobile and anything that flirts with streaming can die in a fire because of my connection is pure trash

But sayonara wild hearts was originally announced in a nintendo direct and the enter the gungeon people said "it debuts on apple arcade" so it appears I don't need apple arcade to play the games of apple arcade

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Imo Apple ruined gaming with their race to the bottom leading to lootboxes and other manipulative mtx, and stimulating children to buy this while banning games with a message for social good. So even if it will be great, it will be a ridiculously long time before I'm ready to admit it.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yeah, I think this is a good step towards curating the quality of mobile games, and I have to laud Apple for doing so.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm reading you right you're being snide because mobile games are trash, which they are, but thus far this service seems to have actual games. Indie ones you'd find on Switch.
Not at all - ive play alot of mobile games though most of them are f2p.
The market for "traditional" mobile games you just buy once have been shrinking for a while now and Apple Arcade is a service that could revive that market part of the market again. So yeah for people who are interested in spending money and dont expect everything to be f2p its very attractive.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games appear very good. I am not a fan of those games on mobile and anything that flirts with streaming can die in a fire because of my connection is pure trash

But sayonara wild hearts was originally announced in a nintendo direct and the enter the gungeon people said "it debuts on apple arcade" so it appears I don't need apple arcade to play the games of apple arcade

Sayonara Wild Hearts launches on PS4 and Switch the same day as the Apple Arcade version. It doesn't appear many of these games, if any of them, will be exclusive. It appears a number of them will debut on Apple's service though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped to see what they do with it. I'm in day one. Playing across iPhone, iPad and (best of all) Apple TV.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, instead of buying these games individually on Switch or PS4, I'll just get them on Apple Arcade and use my Apple TV or MacBook to play them.

Also having family sharing is nuts because if you have kids or younger cousins and they can play the kids games etc without IAP / Ads it's a no brainer.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely! Apple Arcade has me heavily considering a return to iPhone after using a Pixel 2XL for the past two years.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Not at all - ive play alot of mobile games though most of them are f2p.
The market for "traditional" mobile games you just buy once have been shrinking for a while now and Apple Arcade is a service that could revive that market part of the market again. So yeah for people who are interested in spending money and dont expect everything to be f2p its very attractive.
Ah, I see! Right on, then.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not interested but it seems great for people already invested the Apple ecosystem with different devices. They have already done a surprising good work on the editorial of the AppStore to help maintaining a visibility for devs.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Didn't even realise Cat Quest 2 was coming to Apple Arcade until I read the list in this thread. Apple could have done a better job at showcasing what games are on offer during the keynote.

Anyway seems like it'll save me money on indie games I would otherwise wait to buy on sale on the PS4, so I'll at the very least try it out.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
It looks fantastic, the "Netflix of games" I've been waiting for.

I've played very few games on my phone/tablet due to control nastiness but this could be viable on the Apple TV.

Is there a list of launch Apple TV compatible games available?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Didn't even realise Cat Quest 2 was coming to Apple Arcade until I read the list in this thread. Apple could have done a better job at showcasing what games are on offer during the keynote.

Anyway seems like it'll save me money on indie games I would otherwise wait to buy on sale on the PS4 so I'll at the very least try it out.
If they weren't going to show much during the conference there should have been a media blitz of game info released immediately after to get people interested. The dang thing is a week away! How do we not know what Various Daylife is right now??

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's $5. At that price, I have no problem taking a flyer and dropping in and out when stuff shows up I'm interested in.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
When most games started going down the garbage path of F2P, I totally lost interest in mobile gaming.

I hope this subscription service brings about a paradigm shift and games go back to being decent.

If there's no way to pay to get rid of ads, I won't even consider using an app/game for instance. I will definitely be trying this out.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been tooting this horn since it's original announcement.

Apple might actually fix mobile gaming, imagine that.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I think my main worry is games not offering controller support, or being iOS or a particular platform only. From what I'm aware Apple hasn't made it a mandate that every game has to support all 4 platforms with controller support.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Is the following a mandate (i.e., mandatory for all games in the Arcade)?

Pair this w/ the ability to use your DualShock or Xbox One controllers w/ your iPhones, iPads or AppleTV

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Finally a legit reason to buy an Xbox One controller. I love my PS4, but the controller is awful. I'll definitely check this out for the free month. A lot of these games are the type I would normally buy on the Switch, but would rather have them on my phone/iPad/Apple TV/MBP since one of them is with me at all times.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I really like the games they've shown but I just don't trust apple enough. They've done me dirty far too many times

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
If you like premium quality indie games it looks almost on par with Game Pass. I am super excited for it.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Likely going to extend past the trial if the games keep up on a similar apparent quality. Two things I'm keeping my eye on:
- Controller support - hoping it's for most, if not all, games
- What they do with regards to adding to their library. Will they cycle it out like Netflix / Game Pass?

Looking most forward to Oceanhorn, Rayman, the SE RPG with the weird name, and Shantae. Though I expect to be surprised by a few others :).

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
i live in a household full of iOS gamers so 5 bucks for all of us is a damn steal in my opinion.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I'm in. $5 is nothing and when you have three kids at home with a couple iPads, this is a no-brainer.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm quite optimistic about it but currently don't own any Apple hardware, but I'm planning to get an iPhone in a few months and will gladly jump in then!