maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
With autumn coming soon (in the northern hemisphere), I want to eat a ton of roasted/fried winter squash (delicata, butternut, acorn), brussel sprouts and other veggies. I typically bake them in my oven but I was wondering if the convenience of an air fryer was worth the price.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I can't live without my air fryer.

I only eat air fried fries and chicken at home. It's delicious.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I use my air fryer more often than any other cooking method in my house. It's faster than the oven (though slower than traditional frying) and does what it says, gives food a crunchy fried texture.

That said, I also use mine for just about everything I can. I cook burgers, chicken wings, pizza rolls, etc etc.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
My parents got one but they've only used it for french fries and onion rings. One thing to note is if you don't want your fries to come out weird you have to take them out ever five minutes and shake them

KTC

Dec 7, 2017
UK
I've always wondered about those things, are they suppose to be healthier?

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I use mine pretty often for chicken tenderloins for dinner. I'd say it's definitely worth for the convenience and time saved

Jun 20, 2019
I have to admit my chief problem with air fryers is the lie in the name. They're convection cookers. Nothing in the history of the world has been fried with hot air.

Convection cookers are really good for certain foods!

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I swear by my air frier. Most of the food in the frozen aisle can be cook in the AF and its brain dead easy. Sometimes you don't even need to clean the basket.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My parents got one but they've only used it for french fries and onion rings. One thing to note is if you don't want your fries to come out weird you have to take them out ever five minutes and shake them
Or just get a bigger air fryer and don't stack the fries 4 layers deep.
I've always wondered about those things, are they suppose to be healthier?
You don't cook food in oil. A little bit of fried food isn't going to hurt you, but if you eat a ton of fried foods, yeah it'd definitely be healthier.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Life changing. You can cook almost anything in it and I even cook steak in it and it's quite good. Double that with my instant pot and I haven't touched my microwave in about a year and barely use my stove anymore.

I use it every single day.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit my chief problem with air fryers is the lie in the name. They're convection cookers. Nothing in the history of the world has been fried with hot air.

Convection cookers are really good for certain foods!
this. I didn't realize until I bought one for my GF. It's just a tiny convection. That said it's great
Waste of $$$. Just get a convection toaster oven.
I could list all the reasons why (and there are many), but I'll let this article do the hard-hitting for me.
More info here:
now I didn't know this was an option until you posted it. I'd only used convection ovens professionally. I was going to get myself an air fryer but I'll look into this as long as they're not too much pricier

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
We have one and barely used it. It's just a smaller toaster oven in the end, as you get the same results while having this big hoking device on your counter. I also think it's complete nonsense they call them air fryers, but marketing and consumerism, etc etc.

Our sous vide immersion circulator, on the other hand, we use all the time and is super fantastic.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I've been curious about them but I hate the name - they're just little countertop convection ovens. They do not fry anything in any sense of the word.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Waste of $$$. Just get a convection toaster oven.
I could list all the reasons why (and there are many), but I'll let this article do the hard-hitting for me.
More info here:
I can break down that article for you with one line...

Air fryers are expensive: The models we tested range from $100 to $300. But we think you'll get more bang for your buck by spending $200 to $250 on a convection toaster oven,

Most airfryers don't even cost $100, and they are comparing it a device multiple times the price.

"Guys, you shouldn't buy that sedan, it doesn't perform anywhere near as well as a ferrari!"

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I can break down that article for you with one line...

Most airfryers don't even cost $100, and they are comparing it a device multiple times the price.

"Guys, you shouldn't buy that sedan, it doesn't perform anywhere near as well as a ferrari!"
Yeah after reading the article I'm tempted to still go the air fryer direction. Yes they're cumbersome but the $75 ninja I purchased for my gf works fine for my use and while I'd much prefer the toaster oven for it's more varied capabilities an extra $125-$225 is a big price difference

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Weird because an air fryer is a convection oven. They even say that in the article.
Yes, that's my point but they are almost all oddly-shaped and you're just better off with a regular actual convection toaster oven. No need for an 'air-fryer' I guess they have their uses, I just wouldn't recommend them to anyone if they're going to be used it often. They don't cook evenly and they don't make much. Price:Surface area or whatever.

Sometimes I'll ultra cheap out and just keep the door of my oven open a tad for a similar effect for crisping.

"Hard hitting". Ignoring the fact that 35 hours of testing is practically nothing lol
uh...okay then. The article goes into pretty good detail over everything. I've worked with these fryers and ovens throughout the years. A convection toaster oven is the way to go. Air-fryers are mostly just hype. But do you. I don't really mind.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Weird because an air fryer is a convection oven. They even say that in the article.

If I recall correctly, the main point of the article is that it's a worse/less versatile form factor than that of a traditional toaster oven that has a convection feature, while providing the same basic functionality.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, love my air fryer. I keep it out on the counter because it gets so much use and I don't have a lot of counter space.
I got mine from Kohl's when they were running a special and I had a coupon. Instead of $140 I got it for $80.

RivalCore

Oct 28, 2017
Love mine. My current favorite recipe is turkey breast with asparagus and avocado. I just season the turkey breast with cajun, garlic and salt and chuck it in the air fryer. Super juicy and tender but a nice crust in about 15-18 minutes.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly, the main point of the article is that it's a worse/less versatile form factor than that of a traditional toaster oven that has a convection feature, while providing the same basic functionality.
The article is also comparing devices that are generally quite a bit cheaper. Especially if you aren't sure whether you'd like a device, dropping $70 on a 6 QT air fryer that is going to be big enough for a family of 4 isn't that big of a barrier to entry.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't make a lot of home made meals with it, but it's fantastic for for things like nuggets and fries

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yes, that's my point but they are almost all oddly-shaped and you're just better off with a regular actual convection toaster oven. No need for an 'air-fryer' I guess they have their uses, I just wouldn't recommend them to anyone if they're going to be used it often. They don't cook evenly and they don't make much. Price:Surface area or whatever.

Sometimes I'll ultra cheap out and just keep the door of my oven open a tad for a similar effect for crisping.
I use mine every day for nearly 2 years. They cook very evenly and it cooks frozen chicken or fish or anything just fine. Just like anything else there is a learning curve to it because you can't follow the standard oven instructions and expect it to translate.

I will agree that if you're cooking for more than 2 people it isn't practical, but they make larger air freys for that too.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought my parents an air fryer and they quite enjoy it, I borrow it from time to time to make amazing wings. Wild what that thing can do with a tiny amount of oil

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I love my air fryer, if you do end up getting one, try looking for one that can fit a lot, some of them are quite small.
Mine even comes with a cylinder rotary thing that rotates as it cooks.
iu

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The article is also comparing devices that are generally quite a bit cheaper. Especially if you aren't sure whether you'd like a device, dropping $70 on a 6 QT air fryer that is going to be big enough for a family of 4 isn't that big of a barrier to entry.
I'm just trying to educate on the other options. And, imo, better options. There are tons of convection toaster ovens on Amazon and Wal-Mart that can be had at discount. End of the day? Just not a fan (heh) of the design of most air-fryers because of how unevenly they tend to cook.

Anyway, enjoy your crispy foods!

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Do you have a particular recipe you use to make air fryer chicken? I never had it come out half way decently. It's great for fries though.

I put in chicken wings. They come out amazing.

Put in the (marinated) chicken wings in the airfryer @ max temperature for 17min and they will come out delicious!

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanna add one more thing here. Many large home ovens actually have a convection mode. Usually just a button or switch to start up the fan. It'll take longer to heat up due to the size, however.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
We got a Cuisinart TOA-60C air fryer, that also replaced our toaster oven, and we were amazed how many functions this little kitchen gadget replaced. We use it air frying everything from chicken wings to fish, but because it's also a toaster oven, we've used it for frozen foods and TV dinners and the like. It makes a LOT more sense to use this in a household of two, since you burn a lot of gas preparing some of these smaller servings in a gas oven, and the reduction of oil by as much as 80% for the air fried stuff also means you eat deep fried food with far less guilt.

It's one of the best kitchen purchases we've made, and overtook the Instant Pot as our most used appliance.

Oct 27, 2017

Air fryers are different enough to be in a different category than convection ovens. They're a lot cheaper generally speaking. Even though the mesh can be a bit of a pain to clean sometimes they're still quite a bit easier to clean than convection ovens are because everything is contained in the pull-out basket. The smaller space means the air goes faster so you can cook things faster than in a convection oven. They're more energy efficient due to the smaller space. I've never done baked goods in mine but from my understanding you can while with convection ovens they can cause soft-baked stuff to collapse.
I've had no problems ever with anything not cooking evenly. I flip stuff halfway through, though. Most do not make much is true, but there are big ones out there that do if that's what you need. Mine is perfect for cooking for me and my two kids.

Last edited:

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We got a Cuisinart TOA-60C air fryer, that also replaced our toaster oven, and we were amazed how many functions this little kitchen gadget replaced. We use it air frying everything from chicken wings to fish, but because it's also a toaster oven, we've used it for frozen foods and TV dinners and the like. It makes a LOT more sense to use this in a household of two, since you burn a lot of gas preparing some of these smaller servings in a gas oven, and the reduction of oil by as much as 80% for the air fried stuff also means you eat deep fried food with far less guilt.

It's one of the best kitchen purchases we've made, and overtook the Instant Pot as our most used appliance.
Mine has a rotisserie basket for wings. Perfect bacon every time. Saying the cook unevenly is a lie or someone just doesn't know how to figure out times/temps.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Air fryers are different enough to be in a different category than convection ovens. They're a lot cheaper generally speaking. Even though the mesh can be a bit of a pain to clean sometimes they're still quite a bit easier to clean than convection ovens are because everything is contained in the pull-out basket. The smaller space means the air goes faster so you can cook things faster than in a convection oven. They're more energy efficient due to the smaller space. I've never done baked goods in mine but from my understanding you can while with convection ovens they can cause soft-baked stuff to collapse.
I've had no problems ever with anything not cooking evenly. Most do not make much is true, but there are big ones out there that do if that's what you need. Mine is perfect for cooking for me and my two kids.
Yeah, I definitely get that. Just not a fan personally. Different strokes.

I've made amazing amazing brownies in my convection toaster oven. Came out way different (crust galore!) than a conventional oven. Never tried an air-fryer with brownies but I imagine it would just suck as the brownies were in an 4"x6" tray or so.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Thing's I have cooked in our air fryer:
  • Frozen French Fries (Great to fantastic once you get the timing down)
  • Hot dogs (fantastic)
  • Corn Dogs (Great once you get the timing down)
  • Frozen buffalo wings (Fantastic. Needs the most time to cook)
  • Frozen chimichangas (AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC. Surprised at how good)
  • Cheese sticks (cheese escaped. Do not recommend)
  • Small frozen deep dish pizzas (weird but better than oven/microwave)

Overall I like it. Once you get the times down it is almost as "set and forget" as the regular oven.

I did however, get it on sale for like $50 instead of the normal $100. Still don't know if I'd spend $100 on one.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I like it. Once you get the times down it is almost as "set and forget" as the regular oven.

Yeah, the trick is definitely getting the times and settings down. For our air fryer, it's MUCH more powerful than the most of the ones listed, so when we try out recipes asking for temperature settings of 400 or 450, we usually drop it down to 325-350, and it'll cook just fine. If we follow the recommended settings most air fryer recipes list, it'll burn to a crisp. We learned this the hard way.

OP
OP
maxxpower

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Has anyone tried cooking veggies in it? I'm wondering if squash will cook nice and crispy in it.