Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
The game gives you a gun. I don't know whether this will settle the debates on whether Souls-like games need difficulty modes, but if you want, you can make all kinds of adjustments to the difficulty to tailor it to your play style. The default game is definitely challenging.

The demo is out on Steam right now.

8faCa3V.jpg

6e2alhO.jpg

I really enjoyed the demo. I definitely ran into hiccups and bugs, but this game is releasing in 2024 so I'm not stressing over that for now. I love how fast and smooth the controls are in combat. It's more like Sekiro than Dark Souls. Your strikes are quick and snappy. Actually, I think your weapon swings are faster and snappier than even Sekiro. Your weapons won't bump into walls. There are NO long runs back to bosses if you die. Each shell has its own unique abilities.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcxTTuwqEk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHu7Pz1LXU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAQu0Dla0cA

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I tried the demo a bit on steam and the game seems nice but the performances are terrible, I could handle the 119FPS during the tutorial (the game is internally capped at that) but even at the boss it tanked at 70-80FPS due to some background.
Then I've started the actual level and I barely handled 60FPS... I really hope they will figure out what's wrong (probably the game render big areas all the time) since it really isn't justified, even if I put all at minimum I get no changes so yeah, disappointing.
For the game itself I'm not so sure about enemy attacks readability and the dodge i-frame is annoying since you can still get damage during the dodge animation, I think that the i-frame is only at the start of the dodge.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I tried the demo a bit on steam and the game seems nice but the performances are terrible, I could handle the 119FPS during the tutorial (the game is internally capped at that) but even at the boss it tanked at 70-80FPS due to some background.
Then I've started the actual level and I barely handled 60FPS... I really hope they will figure out what's wrong (probably the game render big areas all the time) since it really isn't justified, even if I put all at minimum I get no changes so yeah, disappointing.
For the game itself I'm not so sure about enemy attacks readability and the dodge i-frame is annoying since you can still get damage during the dodge animation, I think that the i-frame is only at the start of the dodge.

Make sure you post your comments in the forums. I see the devs are reading all the feedback, and I definitely agree with what you said. I think all the seaweed makes it hard to read attacks too.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I played the demo and didn't even see the accessibility settings, that's hilarious.

I was a big fan of the vibes of Going Under, so this was a guaranteed grab anyway. There's some issues with performance and readability that need to be ironed out, but I enjoyed it, the Shells being tied to the special moves as a sort of mobile ammo system was pretty interesting to swap in and out of. Really liked the Can with the homing bubbles, myself.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Bumping this demo thread made me think there was a demo and now I'm pissed.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
You're seriously complaining about "tanked" frame rates of 70/80 and, god forbid, 60?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
You're seriously complaining about "tanked" frame rates of 70/80 and, god forbid, 60?
For a game that looks like that? Yes, pretty much, especially since the later level ran around 50FPS, this is not justified. In the first level the game didn't show anything more than usual graphic wise but it was like an un-optimization issue.
You are free to enjoy games at that framerate tho.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
For a game that looks like that? Yes, pretty much, especially since the later level ran around 50FPS, this is not justified. In the first level the game didn't show anything more than usual graphic wise but it was like an un-optimization issue.
You are free to enjoy games at that framerate tho.
I will, thanks.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Really cool to see its release date is in the very near future, been looking forward to it for a long while now!

This is the game I'm most excited about. Now we have a release date, what do you guys think about the OT being Another Crab's Treasure |OT| From Soft To Hard?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEaLBYS6YMw

Hah, the OT title works on a lot of levels with references to From Soft inspiration, accessibility/difficulty settings, and (soft/hard-shelled) crabs. Just kinda feel like most are gonna associate it with an unintended(?) sexual innuendo, lol.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
:|

Excited for the game, not excited for the thread bump making me think I could give it a shot on the switch.