Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is sorta a weird topic, but I'm in the mood for cool music and visuals, and I got thinking about some series' that were sandwiched by the other spectacle: Super fantastic opening and ending themes.

But let's make it interesting by asking for them in pairs. :P
2-for-1! 🎉

I START.

Samurai Champloo

Battlecry features Nujbaes... ... Still hurts (RIP). The cool and subdued visuals combined with downtempo hip-hop are a perfect match. For a show with high energy and a lot of style, I really like this choice of tune and how it frames the cast is very abstract and artful ways (a very modern interpretation of japanese art/textile) (seriously, any frame of this OP would look awesome on a t-shirt lol).

Shiki no Uta just oozes style with gorgeous and moody visuals. The songs opening guitar is cool and gets your attention right away while the singing keeps you in. Minmi (the singer)'s background in reggae and hip-hop continue this series penchant for mixing the contemporary with a period piece. It's really good and I think I've kept in the loop for a while. You know that shit is special when they go over the 1:30 mark lol.
Here's a pretty dang lovely version of the song in English by Sapphire.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Still my favorite OP for an anime. Other intros just don't have the psychedelic overload like this, for me.

As well as one of my favorite EDs. Can't wait to see what Stone Ocean will offer.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
Mawaru Penguindrum. Both are highly thematic with cool visuals, and the songs have an uncertain dreaminess to them.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
This is sorta a weird topic, but I'm in the mood for cool music and visuals, and I got thinking about some series' that were sandwiched by the other spectacle: Super fantastic opening and ending themes.

But let's make it interesting by asking for them in pairs. :P
2-for-1! 🎉

I START.

Samurai Champloo

Battlecry features Nujbaes... ... Still hurts (RIP). The cool and subdued visuals combined with downtempo hip-hop are a perfect match. For a show with high energy and a lot of style, I really like this choice of tune and how it frames the cast is very abstract and artful ways (a very modern interpretation of japanese art/textile) (seriously, any frame of this OP would look awesome on a t-shirt lol).

Shiki no Uta just oozes style with gorgeous and moody visuals. The songs opening guitar is cool and gets your attention right away while the singing keeps you in. Minmi (the singer)'s background in reggae and hip-hop continue this series penchant for mixing the contemporary with a period piece. It's really good and I think I've kept in the loop for a while. You know that shit is special when they go over the 1:30 mark lol.
Here's a pretty dang lovely version of the song in English by Sapphire.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Ooh, good idea for a thread OP!
Hmm, Moyashimon springs to mind. I love that they're so different but both capture the vibe of the show/manga.
Can we have a 3rd season please, thank you?

OP:

ED:

I can't find the actual visuals atm for some reason, but they're fantastic. If I can track them down I'll edit them in.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon R

With R nudging it out because Otome no Policy is like genuine happiness in musical form.

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using this as an excuse to post this amazing cover. Champloo is a fantastic choice for this

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

and...

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Damn, y'all have posted the good shit already, so I'm gonna go with Ergo Proxy:

Outstanding OP both in song and video, love the style of it. It sets the esoteric, melancholy tone perfectly while still allowing for energy.

And it ends with a simple credits roll ED, but when you've got motherfucking Radiohead playing, you don't need much more:

--

I don't think this one can count because it's not an OP/ED in the traditional sense, but I'm gonna post it for exposure anyway. The first episode of Bubblegum Crisis starts and ends with amazingly 80s Japanese songs.

Opening:

And ending:

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
After finishing Overlord Season 3, its Opening and Ending songs remain stuck in my head for some reason.

OP:

ED:

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As mentioned already, Inuyasha had some great joint OP / ED themes but I'll highlight the Final Act because its songs are kind of underated:

Sailor Moon Crystal sucked but it had some good music:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Every Jojo part except the middle song of part 4 and part 5. The middle op of part 4 and the first ending of part 5 are awful

Cowboy Bebop of course

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Outstanding OP both in song and video, love the style of it. It sets the esoteric, melancholy tone perfectly while still allowing for energy.

And it ends with a simple credits roll ED, but when you've got motherfucking Radiohead playing, you don't need much more:

--

I don't think this one can count because it's not an OP/ED in the traditional sense, but I'm gonna post it for exposure anyway. The first episode of Bubblegum Crisis starts and ends with amazingly 80s Japanese songs.

Opening:

And ending:

Ergo Proxy is some good shit, nice choice.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Xamd was a bad show but it had nothing but god tier openings and endings

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Garo Vanishing Line OP2 and ED2. If you just watch these 2 things by themselves, you'd think the anime was a roadtrip anime about a guy and his daughter facing some obstacles when the show is really about the guy wearing a golden set of armour and kicking demons' asses.

What about movies where there are no OPs? Like the Gurren Lagann movies. That flower always gets me, man.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Perfect Insider/Subete ga F ni Naru

Music and visuals just can't be beat

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
DBZ - Buu Saga

Gurren Lagann's final OP/ED

Shout Out to:
Haikyu's OP/ED #4 - absolute hypefest.
Mirai Nikki OP/ED #1
FMAB OP/ED #1
AOT S1 OP/ED #2
Death Note OP/ED #1
Naruto and One Piece have lots of bangers but its hard to choose because there's just too damn many.

Last edited:

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020

--

Come and saaaaaaave meeeee!

So good.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Oh shit, can't believe I missed Wolf's Rain!

The opening is rebellious and perfectly encapsulates the 'wolf' vibe.

The ending is slow, melancholy, and never fails at making me sad.

-

Got room for more oldies? I frickin' love the OP/ED combo for Trinity Blood.

The opening is one of the most gloriously goth songs I've ever heard:

And the ending is really sweet and sad all at once.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Outlaw Star

City Hunter

Others that come to mind:
Bokurano
Turn A Gundam
Darker than Black
Hyper Combat Unit Dangaioh

Can we have a 3rd season please, thank you?

Oh heck yeah! Glad to see I'm not the only one that still thinks about/wants more Moyashimon. lol

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion because of all the controversy surrounding it, but the Netflix version of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

No need to talk about the OP of course. But they used the Rei I or Rei II song IIRC for the outro instead of the Frank Sinatra cover. For a first-time viewer, the Rei Outro song was absolutely brilliant. A beautiful, yet haunting piano song that really alludes to there being something more beneath the surface of this Mecha anime.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Jujutsu Kaisen's first OP and Emade a strong case for a great modern pairing.

And of course Megalobox.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Boogiepop Phantom

Gankutsuou

I could've posted Serial Experiments Lain's OP/ED, but I'm sure someone will do it eventually. Honorable mention to Major and Bokurano. I also considered posting Zipang's OP/EDs, but while they're solid enough, they're also not really standout enough for me to want to listen to them by themselves or to look up the artist(s) and seek out more of their music.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Perfect Insider is probably the most underrated joint winner for me, both the OP and ED are fantastic

OP:

ED:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Mawaru Penguindrum, Jujutsu Kaisen, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, a ton other I'm not thinking of.