chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
81mFYVnEnbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is one of my favorite LPs of all time and I want to give its 10th anniversary the acknowledgement it deserves.

Ironically, I maybe listened to this album hundreds of times this past decade but maybe played around 10 minutes of the actual game via a demo. I unfortunately never managed to buy the full game before it got delisted from XBLA and PSN. Bring that shit to modern platforms already, Ubisoft.

It unfortunate. The game looks like it could've been one of my jams. Probably was responsible for the resurgence of River City Ransom style beat-em-ups we see these days too. The Paul Robertson pixel-art is gorgeous as well.

The soundtrack though... If you asked me it's one the greatest series of video game OSTs ever made. Probably put chiptune band Anamanaguchi on the map for a lot of people the way it did for me. I love their entire discography but the Scott Pilgrim OST is the one that is special. Not that many game's are composed by artists outside of the industry but I there will probably never be a more perfect fit for a composer to a game adaption of Scott Pilgrim than Anamanaguchi.

Some of favorite tracks are Another Winter:

Rock Club:

Bollywood:

Leave The Past Behind:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The game was way better than it had any right to be. And that was largely because of the soundtrack.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Such a good soundtrack. I liked the game, but I'm not really a big fan of beat em ups with level up mechanics and shops etc., so it never really clicked with me as much as I wish it had done.

The soundtrack is honestly one of the best of all time though, and the first level theme is up there with the classic first level themes of the 80s and 90s.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think about Another Winter like every other day. It just pops up in my mind and I start humming along for a bit.

I love the shop theme too:

edit: changed the video to Anamanaguchi's own upload

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Stellar music. I listen to it casually. Which says a lot, its great music far and away outside of the game. Absolute jams.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Funny you mention the game, I sat down with my partner and a friend to watch the movie last weekend. It is still one of my all time favourites, I absolutely love its comic goodness and just weirdo storyline. Absolute blast watching the script being read I think last month?

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Had tickets to see Anamanaguchi earlier this year. It got postponed til September. Part of me is expecting/hoping it gets delayed again.

Great OST though, the relevant parties should work out their differences and get the game relisted already.

EDIT: just seen all their tour dates were delayed to 2021 on their own website. Would've been cool if the venue in question had emailed me to say so.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Funny you mention the game, I sat down with my partner and a friend to watch the movie last weekend. It is still one of my all time favourites, I absolutely love its comic goodness and just weirdo storyline. Absolute blast watching the script being read I think last month?

The comic is even better, and if you liked the movie it's a very recommended read. The movie understandably had to really compress and cut a lot of characterization and plot development (the comic is several volumes); Ramona is essentially a paper cutout in the movie compared to the comic.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Everything about the game other than playing it was fantastic.
This mirrors my experience except the style and the music weren't my thing. I could clearly see the work put in but it just played like a worse RCR/Kunio.
Seems to get unanimous praise so I do question if I just had a bad first impression... maybe I'll try it again.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still one of my favorite 4-player beat-em-ups.
Worst part is that you couldn't skip the credits though.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I have the Xbox 360 version on my account but my 360 bit the dust a long time ago. I wish i could play this game again.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
Waited in line for this for hours on the record store day when it was released... and the person ahead of me got the last copy :|

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I have the game on a 360 and I love to pieces! the soundtrack is indeed something else!

if somehow the game ever surfaces again, I hope it's physical, because no way I'll support it being re-released digital only again

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need the game on current and next gen consoles/pc.
Like I seen a twitter post about the 10 year anniversary and remembered I had it on ps3 but didn't really play it. Since I no longer had a ps3 decided to go on steam and see if it was there and it wasn't so I wiki'd it to see it only came out on ps3/360 like why was pc excused from this.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
The comic is even better, and if you liked the movie it's a very recommended read. The movie understandably had to really compress and cut a lot of characterization and plot development (the comic is several volumes); Ramona is essentially a paper cutout in the movie compared to the comic.
Funny enough, I love the game and really like the movie but the comic turned me off hard and fast. I didn't care for how it was written at all and it leaned harder into specific game references than it probably should have.

BackwardCap

The King of Games - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a discord for this game to play with people that still have it?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Everything about the game other than playing it was fantastic.

I agree with this. And actually the game itself would have been okay but it's just too damn hard.

The soundtrack is fantastic though, and it introduced me to Anamanaguchi, which is a contender for my favorite band outright. If you haven't, I'd recommend listening to their "Endless Fantasy" album. I think it uses some of the same production strategies as the Scott Pilgrim album but develops and takes it into a new direction. Everything they've released after that has been more mixed for me, including their USA album from last year, which has a lot of skips on it for me personally.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For the longest time i thought Anamanaguchi were a japanese group because of this song which i heard 12 years ago and had japanese on it.

But not, it's a fucking NYC group ahah

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
BRING IT BACK YOU COWARDS

With the success of streets of rage 4 it shows there can be a demand !

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time i thought Anamanaguchi were a japanese group because of this song which i heard 12 years ago and had japanese on it.

But not, it's a fucking NYC group ahah

Yeah I thought the same when I first heard that album.

Here they were recently playing at secret sky.

Oct 25, 2017
Pulled out my 360 and realized that I still have this downloaded. I should dip back into it. I love the chunky graphics and the OST.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Fantastic soundtrack. Still listen to it on the regular. One of my favourite tracks is Shrine Bros:

Never did get around to playing the full game, sadly.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It will likely happen now since Ubisoft can use it to distract from all the news of how they allowed a culture of sexual assault to thrive for over a decade. It will work sadly.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The game is playable in both Xenia and RPCS3. Grab your PS360's, rip those game files, and emulate on your PC.