Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Amy Cooper Faces Charges After Calling Police on Black Bird-Watcher (Published 2020)

Ms. Cooper was captured on video calling the police after Christian Cooper asked her to keep her dog on a leash in Central Park.

A white woman who called the police and falsely accused a Black man of threatening her life after he asked her to put her dog on a leash will face misdemeanor charges, the Manhattan district attorney announced Monday.

Amy Cooper, the woman in the Central Park encounter, which was recorded on video and touched off intense discussions about the history of Black people being falsely reported to the police, will be charged with filing a false report, a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail.

"Today our office initiated a prosecution of Amy Cooper for falsely reporting an incident in the third degree," said Cyrus R. Vance, the Manhattan district attorney. "We are strongly committed to holding perpetrators of this conduct accountable."

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in the other thread and will repeat here;

I expected this update to notify me that she got her job back or another offer since white people (especially the racist ones) always, without fail, fail upwards.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this was so many Karens ago

Glad she got punished for that

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Here's what I understand about this increased phenomenon as of late:

If I believe BLM is a violent movement, and I am a short-sighted bigot and see a Black person, then ergo, they (the random Black person in front of me) are violent because they are in/apart of BLM, right? So we have all these folks who don't realize their fight or flight responses are prejudiced knee jerk reactions, so they're calling the cops on innocent Black people. Also, "angry Black man" is a real stereotype and they are acting on this because they are idiots. How am I doing?

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
I was confused at first by the title, and assumed there was someone who was watching black birds.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even think of another one of these white people who's been charged with filing a false report after such nonsense. She must be one of the first.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
You could probably fund a whole police department with fines from the petty crap white people call the police over.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Good. These ridiculous "Karen" stories need this kind of follow-up to hold people accountable for filing frivolous/false police reports or it will continue to get worse and worse.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of forgot about this, it seems like forever ago. Nice to see some action taken.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Good news

It should be attempted murder but that would mean acknowledging white people using cops as a deadly weapon against people of color, I suppose

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting anything serious to come of this... but that its even being pursued in any way is more than I was expecting.

It would be great if more of these clowns got the same outcome.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like ages ago. This was the biggest news story for a few days only for the killing of George Floyd to completely eclipse it that same week.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I understand about this increased phenomenon as of late:

If I believe BLM is a violent movement, and I am a short-sighted bigot and see a Black person, then ergo, they (the random Black person in front of me) are violent because they are in/apart of BLM, right? So we have all these folks who don't realize their fight or flight responses are prejudiced knee jerk reactions, so they're calling the cops on innocent Black people. Also, "angry Black man" is a real stereotype and they are acting on this because they are idiots. How am I doing?

Simple way to put it:

Every "pro-white movement" in history has been anti-black, so they assume a pro-black movement is "anti-white" and you won't convince them otherwise when their world is one of winners and losers.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, because...

Community service, calling it now.

Agreed it likely won't be justice. I do think that any form of accountability in these types of cases at this point is a step in the right direction though. It happens too damn often. Whether it ends up being a simple fine or community service or having a misdemeanor conviction on your record for 8 years or whatever, it wouldn't be enough but it would at least be a consequence to shit behavior and may set off a lightbulb in other assholes' heads when they think about doing something similar.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
About time.

What ever happened to the woman who coughed on the lady in the bagel place?

Don't remember reading anything about her.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is pretty good. Lost her dog, her job and is now charged. if only this weren't some bizarre outlier case.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
They should retroactively charge the racist who got John Crawford III killed, and the racist prick that got an Indian grandpa partially paralysed in Alabama as well.

Make sure fuckers like these and their copycats know that there will be serious criminal charges against them for their racist behaviour.