DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A clone of the popular US game Among Us is the talk of the town in China. Known as Werewolf Among Us, it is currently topping the download charts on App Store in the country. The game has even managed to surpass giants like Peacekeeper Elite and Honour of Kings.

As per an SCMP report, the game is at the top of the Free Game download charts on Apple's App Store. Albeit being developed by a recondite developer, it sits on the top with 116,000 downloads as of November 2. Further, App Tracking firm Qimai's Data says the Clone has more than 478,000 total downloads so far.

Werewolf Among us is developed by a small developer, Shenzhen Youliang Technology. And launched on October 28. Initially, it was thought of as just another version of another in-party game Werewolf that's already popular in China. However, it has gained steam recently thanks to its OG version's popularity that has a better-dedicated user acquisition budget.

Still, the number crunches of downloads are crazy considering it's just been a week since launch. Anyway, the rip-off version has cloned the Map, Game Mechanics of the OG Among Us. The only difference is reportedly the setting of the game in a Medival Castle instead of Space.

More at:
www.gizmochina.com

Among Us Rip-off version, Werewolf Among Us game tops the chart on App Store in China - Gizmochina

A clone of the popular US game Among Us is the talk of the town in China. Known as Werewolf Among Us, it is currently topping the download charts on App Store in the country. The game has even managed to surpass giants like Peacekeeper Elite and Honour of Kings. As per an SCMP report, …

Eject if old

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks, but no simplified chinese language option will do that to your game unfortunately

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_p2z20hb0QU1tzjzz2o1_500.gif

a name forever usurped

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say I had my mind changed about these through some correspondence with various people in the mainland.

I used to get really angry at them, because there's a natural feeling of low thought stealing etc.

But the reality is that for a lot of games like this, they won't legally enter the mainland and the only way for most Chinese to play them is to do something illegal and risk severe life punishments if caught.

So what we see as low thought stealing is something that allows these people to actually experience something they otherwise couldn't without penalty.

Obviously, this is on the Chinese government and its restrictions, but because of that I don't feel angry over the people who "rip off" our content in the west anymore.

In the end I'd rather Chinese people be able to have a similar experience even if it's not "the original", rather than have to risk their life just to enjoy the real deal.

I just hope there will come a time when it's not necessary.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say I had my mind changed about these through some correspondence with various people in the mainland.

I used to get really angry at them, because there's a natural feeling of low thought stealing etc.

But the reality is that for a lot of games like this, they won't legally enter the mainland and the only way for most Chinese to play them is to do something illegal and risk severe life punishments if caught.

So what we see as low thought stealing is something that allows these people to actually experience something they otherwise couldn't without penalty.

Obviously, this is on the Chinese government and its restrictions, but because of that I don't feel angry over the people who "rip off" our content in the west anymore.

In the end I'd rather Chinese people be able to have a similar experience even if it's not "the original", rather than have to risk their life just to enjoy the real deal.

I just hope there will come a time when it's not necessary.
Among Us is available in China. The article says ""Among Us" is the 10th most downloaded game in China with 885,000 downloads in the last three months."

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Just how fast did they develop this?

I'm sure they didn't start developing it before Among Us started gaining its popularity from a couple of months ago or so.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Among Us is available in China. The article says ""Among Us" is the 10th most downloaded game in China with 885,000 downloads in the last three months."

That's...actually really surprising to me tbh lol. I assume it's restricted to China servers only with a heavily moderated chat then? Interesting.

In that case, I find this in very bad taste if it's as wholesale of a copy as they say, but if the game isn't pushed through a Chinese publisher (which it probably isn't, if they're available through Steam & Apple in particular) then there's probably not much they can do about it. :L

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian

That's...actually really surprising to me tbh lol. I assume it's restricted to China servers only with a heavily moderated chat then? Interesting.

OG Among Us doesn't have Chinese language support and official China servers, China players need to have some VPN-like workaround to play it properly. So it didn't the penetrate Chinese market enough.