Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I came across Shark! Shark on the eshop.

www.nintendo.com

SHARK! SHARK! for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy SHARK! SHARK! and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Thought this was funny

• Superb sounds compiled and designed by famous game music composer Tommy Tallarico has won over 35 industry awards and has worked on more than 300 game titles

Don't think I've ever seen a composers work being defined as "compiled". I wonder if they realize this isn't a selling point.

This part sounds like something Tommy would have wanted on a game description too

The original version of SHARK! SHARK!® was launched 1982. The game was developed by game development pioneer Don Daglow and Ji-Wen Tsao, the world´s first female game console programmer. SHARK! SHARK!® was selected by the National Game Preservation Board as one of the best video games for permanent maintenance in the United States Library of Congress National Game Registry. Only games of the highest standard like Space Invader or Pac-Man are chosen.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017

www.nintendo.com

Buy SHARK! SHARK! and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Thought this was funny

Don't think I've ever seen a composers work being defined as "compiled". I wonder if they realize this isn't a selling point.

This part sounds like something Tommy would have wanted on a game description too
It also reads like a forum post, complete with the typo. Poor Space Invader, he didn't stand a chance.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

www.nintendo.com

Thought this was funny

That's because the OST is a compilation of stock music. He didn't compose shit.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Tommy the air-guitarist rockstar is back

ZrbHUv8.gif

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I keep seeing "air guitarist." Did something come out stating that he doesn't actually play guitar?

Not defending him; I'm just curious.

Yeah some comparisons were made showing that his playing syncs perfectly to existing backing tracks, and then those comparisons were compared with other VGL videos to show that the music is the same across lots (all?) of them.

NinjaKitty

May 13, 2022
I keep seeing "air guitarist." Did something come out stating that he doesn't actually play guitar?

Not defending him; I'm just curious.

Numerous people who have worked in the past on Video Games Live have confirmed that it is playback. I think it was last year when Video Games Live had a show in South America and Tommy messed up on hitting the playback button (its a giant button he stomps on) and the guitar solo cut in and out making it obvious that it wasn't live.

I've also never been able to find a video of Tommy playing guitar on his own and several people have reached out to me and suggested that he might not be able to play the guitar at all based on how he holds his hands when he air guitars.

The few clips of him playing piano at his home sounds really crude and novice level. I don't believe he knows how to really play instruments.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
There should be a bounty up for grabs for whoever can find a video of Tommy actually playing guitar. No on-stage antics, just him, by himself, playing guitar. Like a big internet treasure hunt.

Oct 27, 2017
• Superb sounds compiled and designed by famous game music composer Tommy Tallarico has won over 35 industry awards and has worked on more than 300 game titles

I think they need to update it to say more than 350 games actually. And it should say Veritable Videogame Icon Tommy Tallarico

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused. Are we saying the audio recorded on a phone during the concert precisely matches the audio from the (professionally recorded) CD?
Theoretically, in any and all of the audio from every recorded performance of VGL the guitar tracks match up. It was 100% true in the bunch that I tried from performances years apart.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I was looking around YouTube to see if I could find any footage of Tommy playing a guitar outside of a concert, and the closest I could find was him silently fiddling with a bass guitar(?) at the beginning of an episode of Reviews on the Run.

View: https://youtu.be/X8u_dPE0QEM

A whole episode set in a music store, with guitars all over the place, and he only picks up a bass guitar for a few seconds. You could say "oh, he can't play anything for copyright reasons", but his whole schtick was amassing song credits.

Not anything solid, but jt's still weird.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I was looking around YouTube to see if I could find any footage of Tommy playing a guitar outside of a concert, and the closest I could find was him silently fiddling with a bass guitar(?) at the beginning of an episode of Reviews on the Run.

View: https://youtu.be/X8u_dPE0QEM

A whole episode set in a music store, with guitars all over the place, and he only picks up a bass guitar for a few seconds. You could say "oh, he can't play anything for copyright reasons", but his whole schtick was amassing song credits.

Not anything solid, but jt's still weird.

IIRC I think he's even said in interviews he cannot read sheet music (?). There was a video floating around of a very, very old performance of an actual band he was in pre-"Fame"... where I think he was a keyboardist?

But yeah, for a "rockstar game god" or whatever, he's... really, really reluctant to actually play them as anything but a piped-in solo at VGL concerts. He's given how many interviews, including many where he shows off owning a lot of guitars, but never even strums them a bit. Like, seriously, he's got a gigantic freaking ego and looooves talking about how cool he is, so you'd think if he was even passable he'd just strum the first few notes of one of the many themes he's "composed" and that he owns, but footage of Tommy actually playing guitar is rarer and of more dubious provenance, than footage of bigfoot.

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, forgot to mention part of the description on Astrosmash sounds a bit familiar. "This is a masterpiece compiled by famous composer Tommy Tallarico. He has won over 35 industry awards and has worked on over 300 game titles"

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I was sort of hoping Ubisoft had sold on their Activision streaming rights to Amico in return for some NFTs

Well, actually three "Amico games" (Dynablaster, Shark Shark and Astrosmasher) just released on Steam and other consoles.

And yep, they do not seem so "hot", actually, especially in terms of features of contents.

(also, quite sadly there are Steam users who casually just reviewed them...)

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Well, actually three "Amico games" (Dynablaster, Shark Shark and Astrosmasher) just released on Steam and other consoles.

And yep, they do not seem so "hot", actually, especially in terms of features of contents.

(also, quite sadly there are Steam users who casually just reviewed them...)

didn't realize that the games were out on Steam.
went to have a look on steamdb how they are selling and ... yeh that's about what I expected

Xsp86Pb.jpg

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
IIRC I think he's even said in interviews he cannot read sheet music (?). There was a video floating around of a very, very old performance of an actual band he was in pre-"Fame"... where I think he was a keyboardist?
Not to defend Tommy at all (I do not believe he can play guitar) but I'm a games composer, I play keyboard and am learning guitar but I can't read sheet music. You don't need to be able to do that to play or make music. Though it would certainly be a useful skill I wish I had.

That said, onto "Diamondz in the Rough"…

View: https://youtu.be/12lpKgRTxnk?si=Z4H9ASw46IIAdMus

Compare to

View: https://youtu.be/UZy4B5OAoUU?si=z76-VMqgR_54vEPF

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Even though it's the same song, I think it sounds good as an instrumental in the Terminator game. Probably means one of the other band members originally wrote it. Or there's a song they ripped off in the first place.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
No one shits stuff like Jeff, I say he even went light this time
So true. Though part of me wonders if he didnt think it was worth it (to go in hard on the stuff), like - they dont deserve that much attention. Lets just laugh at them then move onto shit that actually matters.

But its so true that they look like launch Xbox 360 store/indie games before we started getting amazing indies like Super Meat Boy. Its the kind of thing you'd have paid 400 points for, played for 10 minutes, then had instant regrets. That shit is 15 bucks now lol, I cant imagine paying that when there's so many great indie titles released weekly (heck, Atari themselves put out bangers for half the price!)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
DJC is so profoundly embarassing.

Is he just selling shirts with the Tab cola logo? Obviously it's not really a problem because I can't even picture the type of sub-DJC loser you'd need to be to even consider buying DJC merch, but I'm pretty sure that's still an active Coca-Cola trademark.