Jun 1, 2018
AMD's new Radeon RX 6900 XT should be powered by Navi 21 GPU, 16GB of GDDR6 memory on a 256-bit memory bus, could cost $499.
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7529...vi-21-gpu-with-16gb-could-cost-499/index.html

The recent VRAM spec leak indicates that, at least on the video memory front, Big Navi GPUs will enjoy a considerable advantage over the GeForce RTX 3080. With 20GB variants of the GeForce RTX 3080 planned, however, this advantage could evaporate before Big Navi cards make it to market.

What we're looking forward to seeing now is concrete benchmarks at 4K. If the RX 6900XT can at least match the GeForce RTX 3080 in rasterized workloads, while costing less, it should make for a compelling high-end product.
www.notebookcheck.net

Big Navi VRAM specs leak: 16GB Navi 21 and 12GB Navi 22 go head to head with GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090

Following a separate revelation about AMD's RX 6900XT potentially beating the GeForce RTX 3090 in gaming workloads, tipster @_rogame revealed what appear to be VRAM specs for two Big Navi GPUs.

Im def going to wait until I can get my hands on the 16GB AMD card or the 20GB 3080.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
man, as excited as I am for an actual competitor to Nvidia, I can't shake that feeling of "no DLSS, no buy" currently :/
Please be good!

funo

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like AMD would be stupid to not have some sort of comparable for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, but it took Nvidia and developers 2+ years to actually make DLSS 2.0 viable... I'm afraid noone is going to wait another couple of years for devs to implement whatever SS solution AMD has planned

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
man, as excited as I am for an actual competitor to Nvidia, I can't shake that feeling of "no DLSS, no buy" currently :/
Please be good!

They won't have a 1 to 1 solution since no tensor cores.

Upscaling, sharpness tech, and direct ml will be the way but gotta see what solution dominates that progress.

Yeah, but it took Nvidia and developers 2+ years to actually make DLSS 2.0 viable... I'm afraid noone is going to wait another couple of years for devs to implement whatever SS solution AMD has planned

Except console consumers who get the majority of those amd chips not desktop amd users. People didn't go out to buy RTX like hot cakes either. When titles come out the move consumers that will be the trick, has been on pc literally since HL2 and Doom3.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a great card. Even if it doesn't have DLSS it still has enough power to run games at 4k. Can't wait to see what they have.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I just don't see how it could matter much without a dlss equivalent. I'd rather pay more for and Nvidia gpu for that alone. I totally understand not everyone can afford something like a 3080 though, just speaking from my personal view.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I want a 4k/60 card for next gen games. Is my best bet to wait it out a couple more years?

I'm not sure any recent cards are enough for that realistically. At least Nvidia's DLSS helps to bridge that, but given that it isn't on every game, I have doubts about it longterm filling that need.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. The best output from this is it would seem to force nVidia's hand on the fabled 20 GB variant of the 3080. I may hold on for just that.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
A $500 AMD card competing with a yet-unreleased $1500 nvidia card? Seems like we've heard this tale before...

I hope it's good, hope it's competitive in its bracket, but not not holding my breath on that particular claim.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
A $500 AMD card competing with a yet-unreleased $1500 nvidia card? Seems like we've heard this tale before...

I hope it's good, hope it's competitive in its bracket, but not not holding my breath on that particular claim.
TBF that $1500 card is only 10-15% more powerful than Nvidia's own $700 card

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'm not even sure a 3090 would make it all the way through next gen at 4k60

Yeah, that's my feeling too. I last upgraded 4 years ago. I want something to last me at least that long.

But the thought of needing to upgrade the rest of my PC in the next year or so is starting to make me have cold feet. I'm considering just picking up a series X for a couple years to wait it out.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if AMD can deliver 3080 rasterization performance for 3070 money, then raytracing can get stuffed.

With that said, OP's source is TweakTown, who publishes any old junk. The odds of the claims being real is below 5%.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I want a 4k/60 card for next gen games. Is my best bet to wait it out a couple more years?

I'm not sure any recent cards are enough for that realistically. At least Nvidia's DLSS helps to bridge that, but given that it isn't on every game, I have doubts about it longterm filling that need.
lmao, that's not happening with a 3090

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
All i'm going to take away is 16GB/12GB of VRAM, that's it. Let's wait to see perf and price

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't expect them to even come close to competion, but hopefully they are aware of how much cheaper their cards needs to be to actually make sense for us.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just need pricing structures, because I'm currently deciding between a $289 5600 XT and $399 5700 XT.

I wasn't intending on spending $500 on a GPU, and even that $399 5700 XT is kind of pushing it.

Edit: Why would "Navi 22" have less VRAM than "Navi 21"? Shouldn't that be the other way around?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people harp on with this VRAM capacity business with Ampere? Games that show high VRAM usage are not actually using most of it. Anybody who goes out and buys the 20gb variants are wasting their money.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA

I don't think the 30 series will be solid 4K60 cards once we move past the initial cross-gen period. So 40 series might be the call, but then again, there's always better hardware coming, so eh.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Everyone is mentioning needing an answer to DLSS, but isn't a response to RTX another big issue it needs to resolve? Legit question, as I'm a bit out of the loop with modern graphic features.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
" recent VRAM spec leak indicates that, at least on the video memory front, Big Navi GPUs will enjoy a considerable advantage over the GeForce RTX 3080. With 20GB variants of the GeForce RTX 3080 planned, however, this advantage could evaporate before Big Navi cards make it to market. "
I'd be shocked if 3080s VRam becomes an actual issue. Performance ist where AMD needs to compete

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
I just need pricing structures, because I'm currently deciding between a $289 5600 XT and $399 5700 XT.

I wasn't intending on spending $500 on a GPU, and even that $399 5700 XT is kind of pushing it.

Edit: Why would "Navi 22" have less VRAM than "Navi 21"? Shouldn't that be the other way around?
Maybe because Navi 22 will have GDDR6X instead of GDDR6? 🤔

Edit: Yeah look like im wrong.

Last edited:

funo

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is mentioning needing an answer to DLSS, but isn't a response to RTX another big issue it needs to resolve? Legit question, as I'm a bit out of the loop with modern graphic features.
I am somewhat certain that most enthusiasts would rather hit a stable framerate instead of enabling RTX.
RTX is the first thing I'll turn off if I can't make a game run at a stable 60+ FPS
But DLSS let's me achieve both - I can hit that stable 60+ FPS AND enable some mid-tier RTX - win/win

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

Ampere doesn't have a very big improvement over Turing in RT performance - somewhere around 15%. Big Navi is rumoured to be about as good as Turing in RT but we'll have to wait and see. If that turns out true, then they'll have that box ticked. But I'm more skeptical of RT performance rivalling Turing than I am of pure performance rivalling the 3080.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
10 GB super fast VRAM v 16 GB of fast VRAM - go! I think there is also a concern about the bus size on Big Navi

and of course even if AMD matches rasterization of 3080 (which I doubt) it still can't compete in RT and DLSS

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Will be neat to see what the actual specs and etc are for AMDs stuff

DLSS is only implemented by the developers of the game anyway not nvidia so I mean unless you only play the from this small list:

Already out in 2020 - (Some are DLSS 1.0 Some are 2.0 or Changing to 2.0)
Anthem
Battlefield 5
Bright Memory
Control
Death Stranding
Deliver Us the Moon
F1 2020
Fortnite
Final Fantasy 15
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries
Metro Exodus
Minecraft
Monster Hunter World
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein Youngblood

DLSS 2.0 Assumingly) Games arriving Ehheventually 2020 to and beyond-
Amid Evil
ARK: Survival Evolved
Atomic Heart
Boundary
Cyberpunk 2077
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Darksiders 3
Dauntless
Fear the Wolves
Fractured Lands
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Hitman 2
Islands of Nyne: Battle Royale
Justice Online
JX3
Kinetik
Outpost Zero
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Remnant: From the Ashes
Scum
Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass
Stormdivers
The Forge Arena
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2
We Happy Few
Watch Dogs: Legion

www.ign.com

50 Games with RTX and DLSS - IGN

Games with enhanced ray tracing and increased frame rates are on the rise, see the full list of RTX enabled games.

My game library is too big at the moment for me to care about something that affects so little, It isn't to say it's not cool it's just you know not a global feature.

As far as RTX goes I mean they both xbox and playstation are using an AMD solution for next gen GPU and they were falling over themselves saying they had raytracing solutions, whether it sucks or not is another story

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Lol it's not $499. That was pulled out of thin air. There has been no pricing info coming from the rumour mills. I've been watching them like a hawk too.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
DLSS is only implemented by the developers of the game anyway not nvidia so I mean unless you only play the from this small list:

Anthem
Battlefield 5
Bright Memory
Control
Death Stranding
Deliver Us the Moon
F1 2020
Fortnite
Final Fantasy 15
Metro Exodus
Minecraft
Monster Hunter World
Wolfenstein Youngblood

Amid Evil
Atomic Heart
Boundary
Cyberpunk 2077
Darksiders 3
Dauntless
Fear the Wolves
Fractured Lands
Hitman 2
Justice Online
JX3
Kinetik
Outpost Zero
Scum
Stormdivers
The Forge Arena
We Happy Few

www.ign.com

Games with enhanced ray tracing and increased frame rates are on the rise, see the full list of RTX enabled games.

My game library is too big at the moment for me to care about something that affects so little, It isn't to say it's not cool it's just you know not a global feature.

As far as RTX goes I mean they both xbox and playstation are using an AMD solution for next gen GPU and they were falling over themselves saying they had raytracing solutions, whether it sucks or not is another story

Cod, Watch Dogs and Cyberpunk supporting DLSS is fucking huge, 3 of the falls biggest games will have a clear advantage on Nvidia hardware. It's a big deal.

OP
OP
Jun 1, 2018
Will be neat to see what the actual specs and etc are for AMDs stuff

Anthem
Battlefield 5
Bright Memory
Control
Death Stranding
Deliver Us the Moon
F1 2020
Fortnite
Final Fantasy 15
Metro Exodus
Minecraft
Monster Hunter World
Wolfenstein Youngblood

Amid Evil
Atomic Heart
Boundary
Cyberpunk 2077
Darksiders 3
Dauntless
Fear the Wolves
Fractured Lands
Hitman 2
Justice Online
JX3
Kinetik
Outpost Zero
Scum
Stormdivers
The Forge Arena
We Happy Few

www.ign.com

Lots of devs who promised to update to DLSS 2.0 back when 2000 Series was announced still didnt do so even though it was advertised.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I have a 5700xt and while I love it, I am going Nvidia when the time comes to upgrade my GPU. Driver issues aside, Nvidia looks more tech proof, even if I have to pay $200 extra.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
They are powerful enough for current games. Who knows what will happen in the next few years. Technology never stops going forward.

Well they're not going to make many non PC exclusive titles that will not run on consoles. Most of the most demanding AAA games will probably run at 1440p 30 FPS on the next gen consoles by mid to late gen, and if so, these GPU's should be able to run them at 4k 30 or 4k 60 with DLSS, and 1440p 60+, etc, at the very least.

Now yeah, if you want to run them NOT at console settings, but on Ul;tra instead, you'd probably need a GPU that comes out towrd the middle of the generation, but that's always been the case.

A 700 series card still runs Red Dead Redemption 2 at PS4 settings, but you will not be running it at ultra until you get to the 1000 series.

RealSamFisher

Oct 6, 2018
Can't see Navi 21 competing with the RTX 3070. It would be insane based on the numbers we know. This is how I see it based on the rumours (AMD <---> Nvidia):

Navi 21 - 80CUs, 16GB GDDR6, 256-bit memory bus <---> Nvidia RTX 3080/3090
Navi 22 - 60CUs, 12GB GDDR6, 192-bit memory bus <---> Nvidia RTX 3070
Navi 23 - 40CUs, ??? ------------------------------------------- ??? <---> Nvidia RTX 3060

The memory bus is fairly low. Some are suggesting an infinity cache on the die of the graphics card to compensate the low memory bus. Might be a preparation for the MCM in RDNA3? Who knows.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can AMD offer me DLSS-type technology to let me play games in 8K but with the performance of 1080p?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Ampere doesn't have a very big improvement over Turing in RT performance - somewhere around 15%.
That's not true at all. At the level of a multiprocessor Ampere's improvement in RT over Turing is considerably higher than the rest of Ampere gains.

Navi 21 - 80CUs, 16GB GDDR6, 256-bit memory bus <---> Nvidia RTX 3080/3090
Navi 22 - 60CUs, 12GB GDDR6, 192-bit memory bus <---> Nvidia RTX 3070
Navi 23 - 40CUs, ??? ------------------------------------------- ??? <---> Nvidia RTX 3060
Navi 22 is 40 CUs, a Navi 10 replacement.
Navi 23 is presumably 20 CUs.

The memory bus is fairly low.
We know ROPs numbers right now which don't directly transfer into memory bus widths.
And I can't help but wonder if the rumor in OP about the mem sizes are made up based on the ROP numbers too.