Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's more of a result of my personal tastes than a statement about my expectations.

I tend to see a game, or a game trailer, and usually by the art direction alone I can tell if its a game I want to play within seconds.

To me it feels that Japanese games/developers:

• Tend to have more colorful environments
  • Utilize fantasy settings more often than futuristic
  • Are more inspired by anime. It's hard to describe what I mean, but that the lines are more "sharp" and there are more angles in general.
  • Are more likely to prioritize single-player experiences over multi-player experiences
  • Tend to be more formulaic with gameplay, and more experimental with storytelling
Western is the opposite:
  • Tend to have more "normal" environments
  • Utilize modern/futuristic settings more often than fantasy
  • Are more inspired by real-life or western style cartoons (more round shapes)
  • Seem to favor single-player and multi-player in equal amounts
  • Tend to be more formulaic with storytelling, but more experimental in gameplay.

Am I wrong, or does anyone else notice these types of trends?

It's like......I can tell if a game is Japanese or not. Really obviously.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
They're generally far more creative/inspired, so this is a normal feeling.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Well it helps that this generation was amazing for Japanese developers. From Bloodborne to Mario to Xenoblade to Nier to Dark Souls to Resident Evil, they've retaken their throne after last generation.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese games are just more fun to play to me. I think Western games tend to go more for immersion and story which is something that has little impact on me. I just want fun gameplay most of the time.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese developers, to me, have more focus on gameplay, mechanics, and game feel. Western developers often sacrifice these things to pursue narrative, immersion, and story, things I don't care about much at all.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
It's an aesthetic that some people prefer. Games like Dragon's Dogma or even Devil May Cry do nothing for me visuals-wise even if they are from Japan.

You can definitely tell most of the time if a game was made in Japan or not, same with japanese and western cartoons.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'm trying to determine what this statement actually means.
I don't think it's a totally abnormal feeling for someone who has played a lot of both Western and Japanese titles to lean towards Japanese games. They are (generally speaking) far more creative in nature. They tend to explore more interesting environments, gameplay styles and stories. Of course this isn't the case for all Japanese games, but I could certainly say I'm in the same boat despite my relatively good mix of both Japanese and Western games.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking weebs
2019-03-17.png
/s I enjoy both western and Japanese games

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I've felt that this generation for sure.

Now there are obvious exceptions to that. Red Dead Redemption 2, Witcher 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and a few others are among my favorite games this gen, but I find myself more often excited for Japaneses games for whatever reason.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Mobile games are huge in Japan, and they're mostly online only games as a service. But they don't count because reasons.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm more accustomed and in preference of Japanese gameplay systems and action choreography but I tend to think that Western developers more consistently nail relateable characterization and storytelling premises. It's not universally true, and I like both, but when it comes to purely examining gameplay style, I tend to prefer Japanese developers.

I lost a strong taste for the teen-focused, coming-of-age, thrust-into-world-ending-stakes premise that I feel is pretty stock standard for Japanese games.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Cos you like that stuff. I like games of both... traditions. As varied and complicated as they are internally.

Nov 14, 2017
I was gonna join the hit and run weeb club, but I've been soundly beaten on that front. Still, there's nothing wrong with being a weeb!

AYAYAYAYA AYAYA AYAYA!

😸

Jul 20, 2018
For bigger budget games I tend to prefer Japanese, but with Indies it doesn't seem to be a factor, except that I'm not aware of as many Japanese indies.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Japan is usually not so good with gun games and western games are really bad with sword combat so they even each other out.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's the quicker, snappier, more arcade-like gameplay and less focus on realism.

Also more creative and extravagant character designs

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Large scale Japanese games are significantly less homogenized than their western counterparts.
Mobile games are huge in Japan, and they're mostly online only games as a service. But they don't count because reasons.
Well yeah, those are mostly gacha and the reasons why they don't count make perfect sense in this context.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
They have, on average, a different approach to game design: more emphasis on gameplay and mechanics, less on story, less focus on realism / more stylized art styles, and they have more memorable, melodic music. Those are the main reasons why I prefer Japanese games and Indies. For me, a game is only as good as its gameplay, I could never play through something like Read Dead Redemption, no matter how good the plot or writing is. In general, Western AAA is not for me anymore.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Right there with you, for the most part.

Most of the big Western franchises bore me to tears (Mass Effect, GTA, Call of Duty, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, God of War, Red Dead, Uncharted). Simply not for me.

There are exceptions to every rule and I do love Hitman, Saints Row, Ratchet and Clank, Titanfall 2, The Witcher and tons of Western Indies.

Bully is my favorite Rockstar game!

But Yakuza, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Persona, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Team Ico stuff, Nier, Nioh and everything Nintendo? Put it in my veins.

Sumimasen to some of the big Western devs! Y'alls games boring and rote AF. Especially internally developed Bethesda RPGs.

Last edited:

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I can definitely agree that Japanese developers tend to take greater risks with settings and storytelling. What I can't stand are the cookie cutter anime character designs and teenage melodrama. Stuff that's more loosely anime inspired like Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy is alright.

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I don't really have a preference if i'm honest. I've been gaming for a long time so I've played fantastic Japanese games and fantastic Western games, and awful games from both.

I even went into my Best Games list and it's a literal 50% split between them.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They have, on average, a different approach to game design: more emphasis on gameplay and mechanics, less on story, less focus on realism / more stylized art styles, and they have more memorable, melodic music. Those are the main reasons why I prefer Japanese games and Indies. For me, a game is only as good as its gameplay, I could never play through something like Read Dead Redemption, no matter how good the plot or writing is. In general, Western AAA is not for me anymore.
Yeah, this is exactly what I wanted to say. I feel like the west just isn't capable of creating a game like NieR: Automata, Bravely Default and others.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same and its because Japanese devs tend to focus on gameplay concepts. I feel western games are more simulations than games and that's ok but I prefer Japanese games most of the time. Western devs do make fine rpg's though.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Bloodborne, Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Xenoblade 2...

Honestly these have been the cream of the crop this generation for me. Yes, yes... avatar quote.

Witcher 3 was pretty good too, but then I struggle to think of other Western games I've really enjoyed lately. Certainly was more balanced previous gen but Japan has really made a great comeback.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm pretty much the opposite, but that's okay because there's simply too much out there to like it all, especially considering different approaches to game design and personal taste.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They put gameplay first and are mechanically sound. You dont ever feel like you're not in control of the player character.