Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

www.repubblica.it

Stretta del governo, Lombardia e 14 province in isolamento. Conte: "Cambiare lo stile di vita". Speranza: "Pugno duro contro gli irresponsabili"

Un nuovo provvedimento del governo stabilisce una zona "arancione" con misure più rigorose. Spostamenti bloccati, permessi solo in caso di eme…

Lombardia is the biggest Italian region, with over 10 million inhabitants.
However, out of 5.061 active positive cases in Italy, 2.742 are in Lombardia.
This explains this drastic decision, which - if I am not wrong - is unheard in Europe and America.
The virtual lockdown will affect also the provinces of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro e Urbino, Venezia, Padova, Treviso, Asti and Alessandria (some of them, such as Venezia's province, are really big).
Lockdown will last at least until 3rd April.

Note that, at the moment, the decision is not final, but there is already a draft of the decree, which you can find at the following link:
drive.google.com

2 Bozza.pdf

In the next hours, decision will be final.

Update (March 8): the decree is now official

Last edited:

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A region of 10 million people in total lockdown in Europe in March 2020. Just weeks ago it'd be an unthinkable scenario. Jesus.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how the number of cases grew in the last days it's probably the only measure that can taken to help slow down the contagion.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the responsible thing to do, but man, Lombardia is kind of the economic heart of Italy, so it's going to be a weird few weeks.

I'm supposed to go to Campania in a couple of months, I'm not holding my breath.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The economic fallout will be a even bigger disaster than the virus itself. This is just the beginning.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The US, and most notably cities like NYC, will need to start being realistic and tell people to stay home as much as possible.

And to think that in the other thread people are still arguing when you tell them to stop going to the gym..

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
theintercept.com

The Coronavirus Matters. The Stock Market Doesn’t.

With the arrival of a novel coronavirus, our obsession with the stock market may literally kill us.
I'm not talking about stocks. I'm talking about real people. I'm not downplaying the fact that many people are risking their lives. I live in Italy and i have as well relatives that are >80 years old ( i lost my grand dad last year as well ). At the same time this will have long term impact on firms and employees. The situation is extremely critical and the government and EU are doing pretty much nothing.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Pretty incredible. I'm almost curious to see the reaction if they did this in the UK. If it's going to become that bad here then London must surely be the first place to go on lockdown since it's such a huge hub of people from all over.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
i guess there will be no trading of goods also, right?

i mean, alone the lombardy has hundrets of companies producing essential stuff for foreign companies. this will probably domino effect through half of europe's economy

panzone

Dec 27, 2019
For how long? Supplies are gonna get low quick.

That shouldn't be a problem: the decree permits the transit for work if essential, like the current quarantine zone, for permitting the transit of essential goods.

I had choosen the wrong period to visit my parents. I will probably be stuck here until the 3rd April.

panzone

Dec 27, 2019
What's the legality of this?

Good question and not my field: here in Italy in this exact moment a lot of people are asking the same question and protesting for various reasons, most important that a lot of business can't be open like cinemas or gyms. You can't watch the TV in this exact moment without seeing some talk show about this decree.

DarkCronos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perugia, Italy
qAfTaF3.jpg

Here's the map of the lockdown zones

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Italian public has been pretty reckless in the face of mounting containment measures, I hope this clears the air. All in all the government's response has been appropriate, the problem is that many still feel this is overblown, or simply don't care about the repercussions until it affects them directly.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The US, and most notably cities like NYC, will need to start being realistic and tell people to stay home as much as possible.

And to think that in the other thread people are still arguing when you tell them to stop going to the gym..
Some still are taking this too lightly. "Look if you want to be paranoid and lock yourself, go ahead but it's being blown over the top!!" Sure jan. Wait until you get it and then be crying you are sick but also spreading the virus unknowingly for a week.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Italian public has been pretty reckless in the face of mounting containment measures, I hope this clears the air. All in all the government's response has been appropriate, the problem is that many still feel this is overblown, or simply don't care about the repercussions until it affects them directly.

This is the appropriate approach unfortunately. Other countries will soon realize this. They're only currently better off because they currently recorded smaller numbers, but look at the numbers in Germany, France and USA and you'll see that unless they want hundreds, thousands of deaths they'll need to take similar measures.

Trust me, Italy's economic situation is not easy and no government takes such steps easily. They're willing to eat enormous economical damages because if they don't do it now, a lot more people could die, which is worse.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the appropriate approach unfortunately. Other countries will soon realize this. They're only currently better off because they currently recorded smaller numbers, but look at the numbers in Germany, France and USA and you'll see that unless they want hundreds, thousands of deaths they'll need to take similar measures.

Trust me, Italy's economic situation is not easy and no government takes such steps easily. They're willing to eat enormous economical damages because if they don't do it now, a lot more people could die, which is worse.

What I will not forget after all this is done are all the people in positions of authority in the media and in elected office underplaying it.

At one point it seemed almost gauche and unbecoming to worry about it. Just a couple days ago the major "progressive" newspaper la Repubblica published an editorial piece calling the spread of the virus in Milan "imaginary", lamenting the closure of the Scala opera house and wondering why the citizens of Milan weren't rebelling against the measures. Just deranged, almost criminal. The fucking mayor a couple weeks ago launched a social media campaign asking citizens not to change their behaviour, still go out for drinks etc. The national chairman of his party (another illuminated progressive bird-brain) joined this campaign, went to Milan and did a photo-op while having an aperitivo surrounded by young party workers. Guess what, now he's positive, and who knows how many people in and out of government he's infected in the meantime. I won't forget them and I won't forgive them.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I mean I was suppose to be at HIMSS, the biggest healthcare conference this week; it got canceled. The cancelation is costing my company millions. It's costing the city of Orlando millions.

And yet still the narrative I hear at my company, and most healthcare companies is "this has a lower mortality rate then the flu, stop overblowing it"

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I teach in the university in Bologna and it might well be that open-door lectures will be suspended at least until June. Only online lectures from now onwards.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Now they do a lockdown? After 5000 people got Corona? I bet many who live in the potential lockdown zone will bail the city.

Didn't this happen in wuhan aswell? People with the virus got out before they were locked down and infected more people later on.

Last edited:

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck i wonder if similar measures will be implemented here in Seattle. I live in downtown and i need to leave the city if anything

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The economic fallout will be a even bigger disaster than the virus itself. This is just the beginning.
Yup.

Once the hysteria reaches the US West Coast (if it hasn't done so already) then we are pretty much overdrive into a global recession. That would arguably kill a lot more people.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I will not forget after all this is done are all the people in positions of authority in the media and in elected office underplaying it.

At one point it seemed almost gauche and unbecoming to worry about it. Just a couple days ago the major "progressive" newspaper la Repubblica published an editorial piece calling the spread of the virus in Milan "imaginary", lamenting the closure of the Scala opera house and wondering why the citizens of Milan weren't rebelling against the measures. Just deranged, almost criminal. The fucking mayor a couple weeks ago launched a social media campaign asking citizens not to change their behaviour, still go out for drinks etc. I won't forget them and I won't forgive them.

I think journalists in good faith (so not shite like Libero) have a hard time here. If they downplay it and it explodes, they look like clowns. Even if they don't overdo it, by simply reporting the cases and numbers they get accused of fearmongering. I have my issues with how Repubblica in particular handled things at the start, but I don't feel like blaming them too much. This is the first time something like this happens in a lot of people's lives fortunately, and it's not like there's a guide for it. Some opinion pieces would have called some moves excessives. Hell, I'd say most of the population have seen certain moves as reactionary, excessive. Unfortunately time isn't proving that this was the case.