• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone clarify a little bit what Geometry 4K (eg Gravity Rush 2) exactly is ?

Is it that only the world geometry is drawn in 4K and everything else (like character models etc) are in 1080p or that all objects (world/characters) are drawn in 4K and post process, lighting etc is drawn in a lower resolution ?

Chevelleman

Dec 3, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Can someone clarify a little bit what Geometry 4K (eg Gravity Rush 2) exactly is ?

Is it that only the world geometry is drawn in 4K and everything else (like character models etc) are in 1080p or that all objects (world/characters) are drawn in 4K and post process, lighting etc is drawn in a lower resolution ?
This is from the Digital Foundry article about Gravity Rush 2

"Like Bound before it, Gravity Rush 2 appears to make use of the geometry upscale rendering technique which Mark Cerny discussed with us last year. This effectively enables the game to display a 'pseudo-4K' image in which all geometric edges appear to operate at a native 4K while pixel shader operations continue to operate at the standard 1080p. So, while the edges of buildings are razor sharp on the PS4 Pro, the textures and shading contained within are displayed at quarter resolution. It's ultimately an effective trade-off when played on a 4K TV at a normal viewing distance, but clearly the more demanding checkerboard rendering produces visually superior results."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-gravity-rush-2-tech-analysis

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017

There are many ways to get to this/similar result.

Method Cerny talked about involved about case where rendering is done in pretty much same way as traditionally, except that there additionally rasterized ID-Buffer which is in full resolution.
Rendering/Shading is done traditionally, but in post results of pixels are flooded into the 'empty' samples within same ID.

2 pixels from 1080 turned into 8 pixels in 4k.

Color (x is not within 1080p buffer.)
1 x .. 5 x
x x .. x x

ID
2 1 .. 1 1
2 2 .. 1 1

result
1 5 .. 5 5
1 1 .. 5 5

There are obviously problems when you have ID of polygon which is not shaded, not sure what can be done for such case.

ID
2 1 .. 1 3
2 4 .. 1 3

result
1 5 .. 5 x
1 x .. 5 x

If the ID buffer method is used I certainly would love to see FXAA or other post AA method used as it should help with single pixel sized errors and help with edges in general.
----

Bound rendered into 1080p 8xMSAA buffer which had MSAA sub-sample locations changed in such way that when resolved into 4k buffer samples would align to pixels with traditional 2xMSAA pattern. (All 8 samples share same shaded result within a polygon.)

1080p 8xMSAA
All samples within pixel
....x.......x
x.......x....
....x.......x
x.......x....

2 samples within each pixel.

..x.I...x
x...I.x..
----I-----
..x.I...x
x...I.x..

Obviously for this method to work game engine needs support for rendering and post processing with MSAA buffer in mind.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
There are many ways to get to this/similar result.

Method Cerny talked about involved about case where rendering is done in pretty much same way as traditionally, except that there additionally rasterized ID-Buffer which is in full resolution.
Rendering/Shading is done traditionally, but in post results of pixels are flooded into the 'empty' samples within same ID.

2 pixels from 1080 turned into 8 pixels in 4k.

Color (x is not within 1080p buffer.)
1 x .. 5 x
x x .. x x

ID
2 1 .. 1 1
2 2 .. 1 1

result
1 5 .. 5 5
1 1 .. 5 5

There are obviously problems when you have ID of polygon which is not shaded, not sure what can be done for such case.

ID
2 1 .. 1 3
2 4 .. 1 3

result
1 5 .. 5 x
1 x .. 5 x

If the ID buffer method is used I certainly would love to see FXAA or other post AA method used as it should help with single pixel sized errors and help with edges in general.
----

Bound rendered into 1080p 8xMSAA buffer which had MSAA sub-sample locations changed in such way that when resolved into 4k buffer samples would align to pixels with traditional 2xMSAA pattern. (All 8 samples share same shaded result within a polygon.)

1080p 8xMSAA
All samples within pixel
....x.......x
x.......x....
....x.......x
x.......x....

2 samples within each pixel.

..x.I...x
x...I.x..
----I-----
..x.I...x
x...I.x..

Obviously for this method to work game engine needs support for rendering and post processing with MSAA buffer in mind.

Thanks. Regardless the game looks pretty sharp on my 4K TV. Picked this up yesterday and really digging it so far.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Not even close. It's unfair to even call it a full game, I finished it in 2 hours. The character models looks very much like their human counterparts but the game isn't nearly as fun or engaging to play as UD.

I'd say its more interesting to play as a group, simply because more people are involved. However, it is definitely not the same kind of single-player experience where friends can shout at you to make certain choices. Until Dawn, even on its own, is a fun time but Hidden Agenda is at it's best with a bunch of players.
I've been hyping Hidden Agenda to my partner for a few weeks now, after having hyped Until Dawn for months (we've never played either). With Hidden Agenda's PlayLink support, along with its short playthrough, I thought it would be a fun game for us to play together. I was excited to see 1440p support, too!

Is it Hidden Agenda at least fun enough? Until Dawn is nearly perfect in every way, but we're expecting a cop drama, not a horror story, and I can deal with "fun enough."

EDIT
I wanted to double-check the resolution on Hidden Agenda and found it isn't on the list. I assume it'll get there in time, but am I right it is running 1440p?

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've been hyping Hidden Agenda to my partner for a few weeks now, after having hyped Until Dawn for months (we've never played either). With Hidden Agenda's PlayLink support, along with its short playthrough, I thought it would be a fun game for us to play together. I was excited to see 1440p support, too!

Is it Hidden Agenda at least fun enough? Until Dawn is nearly perfect in every way, but we're expecting a cop drama, not a horror story, and I can deal with "fun enough."

EDIT
I wanted to double-check the resolution on Hidden Agenda and found it isn't on the list. I assume it'll get there in time, but am I right it is running 1440p?

I tried to search too, I swear I saw that somewhere too (1440p) but I can't seem to find any news on the internet. Maybe it was mentioned in one of the game's updates but I can't find it right now.

Hidden Agenda is a decent enough game with a group of friends but I personally am not a fan of the whole Play Link initiative. The "use your phones" mechanic is clunky in my opinion. I played it with a group of 4 people and basically there were a lot of calibration issues and phone-screen sensitivity for the on-screen cursor .. things of that nature etc.

H.A is also an incredibly short game (yes, it's $19.99 .. but still). We were able to beat it in 2~ hours and we managed to get the "best" ending on the first try. The game has some replaybility and different choices can result in different outcomes while the central plot remains the same just like Until Dawn, but the story and characters aren't nearly as fun or entertaining as UD.

It's good for an evening with friends but after that I wouldn't be surprised if you either trade it or it finds a permanent spot on the back of your gaming library where it'll never be touched again.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
They described it in this article.
New ID buffer for tracking triangles and objects, opening the door to advanced spatial and temporal anti-aliasing
It's very helpful for CB rendering, but it's not fully automatic. Also it is useful for other techniques. And though I don't have any sources for that, I was under the impression the One X also has such, doesn't it?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
They described it in this article.

It's very helpful for CB rendering, but it's not fully automatic. Also it is useful for other techniques. And though I don't have any sources for that, I was under the impression the One X also has such, doesn't it?

John mentioned it only in regards to the PS4 Pro in the video. I'm sure the XBX's raw technical specs would be enough to match it.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the XBX's raw technical specs would be enough to match it.
The thing is, it saves memory bandwidth and calculation time so if the One X doesn't have it, that will eat into the raw power reserve if you want to make such calculations. An indicator here might be that we haven't seen many checkerboard rendered games on the X yet.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, it saves memory bandwidth and calculation time so if the One X doesn't have it, that will eat into the raw power reserve if you want to make such calculations. An indicator here might be that we haven't seen many checkerboard rendered games on the X yet.

When the Pro can already do 4K checkerboard in a game, there is no reason not to pursue a higher native res on the X instead. That's why we haven't seen many of those. It would simply be kind of a waste (in terms of power at least).

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think that's an indicator of anything. We've seen CBR games on the 1X that had no drawbacks from the rendering technique.

I think it's best not to make assumptions about other platforms in these types of threads and keep it about the Pro rendering stats.

Oct 25, 2017

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
That's a misunderstanding, it was running at 1080p with 4xMSAA, not 4K..

It's weird, but a crude google translation of the source Japanese article from Hexadrive's website also says something along these lines:

In the Ogami Sekkei version, it renders at an internal resolution of 3840 x 2160 ,from which 1920 x 1080 images are generated.

But then a little later in the article it says the native resolution is 1080p w/ 4XMSAA. In either case, Okami PS3 was an incredible port. The source site also mentions that it has 16x AF and bonus:

Incidentally, at SD resolution 480p PS3 hardware High quality 32x anti-aliasing exceeding 4x MSAA, 7xp display 8x anti-aliasing is independently implemented by Hexa Drive, so even those who do not have full HD TV also benefit from high image quality.

For those lucky enough to be playing it on SD TV's, they got some *REALLY* high MSAA.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird, but a crude google translation of the source Japanese article from Hexadrive's website also says something along these lines:

In the Ogami Sekkei version, it renders at an internal resolution of 3840 x 2160 ,from which 1920 x 1080 images are generated.

But then a little later in the article it says the native resolution is 1080p w/ 4XMSAA. In either case, Okami PS3 was an incredible port. The source site also mentions that it has 16x AF and bonus:

For those lucky enough to be playing it on SD TV's, they got some *REALLY* high MSAA.

I think that's just a mix up with the number of samples (4x) and 4x1080p being 4K. Obviously I can't say with authority since I didn't work on the game but I highly doubt the game is rendering at 4K on the PS3 and supersampling down to 1080p. Especially when you consider that we're just now having the game rendering at 4K on the Pro and 1X, two systems vastly more powerful than the PS3.

Um.. it's a PS2 game.. lol.

I'm sorry you're right. For some reason I thought it launched on the Wii first and was ported to the PS2. Still, it's unlikely to have HDR for this reason as well.

the focus on pro, seems meh.

Cut this shit out. There is no reason to shit on the topic here. We're happy with the Pro, so I'm not sure what the problem is with the support.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 will get HDR patch on the PS4/Pro early next year. No word on whether it will also get the Performance mode the XBX patch launched yesterday has.

For the unaware, Performance mode promises dynamic scaling from 1080p to 4K while targeting 60 FPS. Benchmarks will be interesting to see how well it achieves and what the chances/probability of a similar mode on Pro will be.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 will get HDR patch on the PS4/Pro early next year. No word on whether it will also get the Performance mode the XBX patch launched yesterday has.

For the unaware, Performance mode promises dynamic scaling from 1080p to 4K while targeting 60 FPS. Benchmarks will be interesting to see how well it achieves and what the chances/probability of a similar mode on Pro will be.

I don't get these performance modes. You get an unstable framerate with inferior graphics. I'll take locked 30fps with more eyecandy any day.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know if you're supposed to do anything to trigger the Pro enhancements in Nier Automata? Is it automatic with this game? Just start the game on a Pro and it's running at the higher resolution and framerate?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know if you're supposed to do anything to trigger the Pro enhancements in Nier Automata? Is it automatic with this game? Just start the game on a Pro and it's running at the higher resolution and framerate?

It is automatic. There also isn't that much of a resolution and framerate boost anyway. It's 60fps already on base PS4 and resolution is now 1080p instead of 900p. You do get better texture filtering, anti aliasing and motion blur on top of that though.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I know this is quite offtopic but I suppose there isn't any more relevant thread and I can't make my own just yet. Since the thread supposedly has a bunch of Pro owners in here maybe someone can answer this, worth a shot I guess:

I just bought a PS4 Pro and it should arrive in a few weeks. Anyway if I gave my old PS4 to a friend could we play the games I have bought on my account on both systems?

I'm a bit confused how it works but if I understand correctly if I keep my account as the primary one on the old PS4 it could work? AFAIK you can't have one account be primary on multiple systems but if I used my account on Pro but not have it be the primary one and my friend uses his own account on the old PS4 while my account is primary on it thus ''sharing'' the games to his account it might work?

Bonus question: I'm gonna use it on 1080p monitor, should I have the video output set on 1080p or automatic to get benefits of downsampling on games that support it? Or does that even matter?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I know this is quite offtopic but I suppose there isn't any more relevant thread and I can't make my own just yet. Since the thread supposedly has a bunch of Pro owners in here maybe someone can answer this, worth a shot I guess:

I just bought a PS4 Pro and it should arrive in a few weeks. Anyway if I gave my old PS4 to a friend could we play the games I have bought on my account on both systems?

I'm a bit confused how it works but if I understand correctly if I keep my account as the primary one on the old PS4 it could work? AFAIK you can't have one account be primary on multiple systems but if I used my account on Pro but not have it be the primary one and my friend uses his own account on the old PS4 while my account is primary on it thus ''sharing'' the games to his account it might work?

Bonus question: I'm gonna use it on 1080p monitor, should I have the video output set on 1080p or automatic to get benefits of downsampling on games that support it? Or does that even matter?

Keep your account as primary on the old ps4 and your friend can create his own account and use your games on it.

If he makes his account primary on yours you will be able to use his games on your account too.

You can leave everything on automatic.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Keep your account as primary on the old ps4 and your friend can create his own account and use your games on it.

If he makes his account primary on yours you will be able to use his games on your account too.

You can leave everything on automatic.
Thanks. I assume it will need to be online all the time in that case (not really a problem but just wondering).

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Yup your friend won't need to be online to play your games and vice versa.

But you will need to be online to play your own because it isn't the primary system.

Glad to help.
Thanks for answering.

Originally I was just going to wait for PS5 but I figured since I have yet to play Horizon and I have the feeling Spider-Man, GoW, Ghosts and TLOU2 will have good Pro support, what the heck.

And I'm not gonna deal with sub 1080p on Kingdom Hearts 3 thank you very much Square!

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
If no one else does it, I may be able to get some 1080p output screenshots next week to check for supersampling. (Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone)

Here they are. If any additional shots are needed, feel free to ask. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a 4K TV, so all I can manage are 1080p display shots :(

Post-patch:

1080p TV, in-game Share button shots (1080p, PNG):

4K TV, in-game Share button shots (1080p, JPEG, sorry):

4K TV, Photo Mode shot (2160p, JPEG) (I don't believe Photo Mode does any additional post-processing, it just removes the GUI, adds copyright info, and immediately takes the screenshot. I may be wrong, though):

1080p TV, Photo Mode shot (2160p, JPEG) (game always outputs photo mode screenshots at 2160p regardless of screen resolution):

Pre-patch:

1080p TV, in-game Share button shots (1080p, JPEG):

1080p TV, Photo Mode shots (1080p, JPEG):

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
after playing Nier Automata on the standard today, i really want a Pro.

Yeah, it looks rough on the standard PS4 (900p without anti aliasing and texture filtering) to get that 60fps, which isn't even stable a lot times.

Since I see that SotC avatar, I'd suggest a Pro for that too. The remake will deliver a great image quality boost as well as a 60fps mode on Pro.

Last edited: