Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Title says all. I guess it could apply to a countless amount of games, but which one came to your mind first?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Dying Light 2 at the moment and it's basically Far Cry x Mirrors Edge x Fallout but it's done so incredibly well and I'm hooked on the loop.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders 1 was that to a T. Zelda + DMC combat. It did it well.

Jan 11, 2018
A lot of modern AAA games tbh. It's been a really, really long time since we've seen anything new in that space.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
This is how I felt playing Witcher 3. I'm sure some people would disagree but it didn't really advance the genre in any way, but it pretty much perfected the look and feel.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Dragon Quest XI. You don't need to reinvent the wheel and I would really like for that mentality for everything needing to do that to go away.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order. 😌

Granted the combination of things led to a game that felt quite unique.

The camera perspective for God of War and also the combination of things it did was definitely new. The closest thing to it was Hellblade and only on paper in very specific ways.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Streets of Rage 2.

hqdefault.jpg

Mechanically, SoR2 isn't doing anything to reinvent the wheel within the genre. What it does, it does extremely well, though.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Insomniac's Spider-Man? It's the Arkham formula... But Spider-Man.
That does end up changing a lot though. The traversal is very different compared to Arkham including a lot of the extra activities that stem from swinging plus the combat felt way more agile and open compared to the more grounded and stiff Arkham combat (which fits the character and I'm not knocking it but it feels WAY different)

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Jedi Fallen Order. 😌

Granted the combination of things led to a game that felt quite unique.

The camera perspective for God of War and also the combination of things it did was definitely new. The closest thing to it was Hellblade and only on paper in very specific ways.
About that camera thing. Just watch the first minute of this.

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This reminded me of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. A typical God of War clone of the PS3/360 era, with elements from Shadow of the Colossus thrown around. Excellent execution though, one of my favorite games from those years. Good story, excellent gameplay, superb ambiance, music, and Patrick Stewart as a narrator. I couldn't ask for more.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
This reminded me of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. A typical God of War clone of the PS3/360 era, with elements from Shadow of the Colossus thrown around. Excellent execution though, one of my favorite games from those years. Good story, excellent gameplay, superb ambiance, music, and Patrick Stewart as a narrator. I couldn't ask for more.
I feel like that game really peaked in the middle. The vampire levels were so freaking incredible that the final third felt like a letdown, but yeah I agree overall

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Darksiders: the thread.

Each one is derivative of something else, but it's well-executed, and Vigil/Gunfire are amazing when it comes to enemy variety; so the games end up being my favorite "comfort food" action titles.

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
ghost of tsushima is essentially an Assassin creed game but the weird thing is it's actually fun to play

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely God of War 2018.

Definitely different within its own series, but nothing original in the grand scheme of things.

Pulled it off incredibly well though, I enjoyed it immensely despite the above!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the definition of "doing anything new".

For example, Metroid Dread is one game that comes to mind. Its mechanics are things that were either refinements of things already done with Samus Returns, or concepts explored elsewhere in other Metroidvanias over the years, but that doesn't stop it from being top of its class. Despite that, it does provide an experience that's still very new for "Metroid", and also somewhat unique among other currently popular Metroidvanias.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is one game that in some aspects streamlines mechanics from Returns while also adding a couple new Kongs to play with, though mechanically it still plays pretty similarly to the previous game. Despite that, the level gimmicks, aesthetics, and design are also quantifiably improved from is predecessor and offer a fresh experience.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Another game that comes to mind:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, nailed the execution of making me cry. Probably the only time I cried.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
A lot of rhythm games and shmups fall under this. A lot of Bemani (Dance Dance Revolution, IIDX, Pop'n Music, Sound Voltex, etc..) games will get like QoL additions but rarely get new gameplay additions. Pop'n Music debut was in 1998, but they didn't add hold notes into the game until their 24th release in 2016. Their gameplay is just so timelessly solid that they can just focus on creating amazing songs and videos/characters/charts for those songs.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
A lot of Naughty Dog's work is derivative, but polished to a mirror shine.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2 lost features compared to its predecessor, but was still far, far better. The writing, the characters, the level design, the combat, the cutscenes, the choice & consequence...generally those weren't fundamentally very different from ME1, just refined until their execution blew past ME1's equivalents.