SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
v9spTIJ8.jpg

OpenCritic: 83
MetaCritic: 84

Video Reviews

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwfs1zP1YtA&pp=ygUeYWdlIG9mIG15dGhvbG9neSByZXRvbGQgcmV2aWV3

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrrZFUJ69o

Written Reviews
Windows Central 4.5/5
www.windowscentral.com

Age of Mythology: Retold review — A wonderful remake that lays the foundation for years of expansions

Over 20 years after it launched, Age of Mythology: Retold is born again in the splendor it deserves.
World's Edge and its partners successfully revive the most underrated Age of Empires game with the launch of Age of Mythology: Retold. More than a pure definitive edition, this classic strategy game gets a full-blown remake with smart gameplay changes and a bevy of options to make it approachable. Aside from a few bugs and glitches that should be addressed, it's a phenomenal game for RTS fans to sink their teeth into.

COGconnected 8.2/10
cogconnected.com

Age of Mythology: Retold Review - Still Classic

Age of Mythology: Retold is a significant visual and game play update for the 2002 real time strategy classic.
While I think it's overdue for a complete remake, Age of Mythology: Retold is an excellent way to reacquaint players with a genuine classic, and a perfect introduction for gamers new to the title.

Gamingtrend 9/10
gamingtrend.com

Age of Mythology: Retold review — Skipan? Já.

Age of Mythology: Retold is more than just an update to a nostalgic classic; it’s a reimagining of the heyday of RTS games when civilizations could rise and fall in an evening and LAN parties were a tangle of chords, pizza, and Mountain Dew. A graphics update likely would have been enough to...
Age of Mythology: Retold doesn't redefine the genre but returning fans will not be disappointed and new ones may discover why RTS games were king of the hill in the not-so-distant past. Retold is mechanically solid, beautifully remade, and a blast to play with friends.

CGMagazine 9/10
www.cgmagonline.com

Age of Mythology: Retold (PC) Review - CGMagazine

Age of Mythology: Retold is a masterful blend of nostalgia and innovation that fans and newcomers will both cherish.
Age of Mythology: Retold is a masterful blend of nostalgia and innovation that fans and newcomers will both cherish.

XboxEra 8/10
xboxera.com

Age of Mythology: Retold | Review

In Age of Mythology: Retold, we dive into the world of gods, semi-historical figures, mythical beasts, and myths. We turn up the fantasy dial and delve
The developers have once again done a wonderful job of bringing one of the classic and legendary games from history to the present day. Are you interested in a strategy game with a twist? Are you tired of the human/historical conflicts exhibited in Age of Empires and the like? Then take a look at the mythical world of Age of Mythology: Retold.I think you won't be disappointed. If they can fix some of the AI problems and balance issues in future patches, Age of Mythology can truly stand among its peers. It might even become the true fan favorite it was always destined to be. Maybe we should ask the gods for their favor and start praying. Prostagma!

Gamereactor.eu 8/10
www.gamereactor.eu

Age of Mythology: Retold - Review

A classic brought back to life with new visuals, but sadly without new campaign content.
In conclusion, I've been thoroughly enjoying the skirmishes and I'm looking forward to playing more when the multiplayer servers open. For those who loved the original, Age of Mythology: Retold is a must-play, offering upgraded graphics, the innovative reuse of god powers, and subtle gameplay tweaks that enhance the overall experience. And even for entirely new players, this will be one of the most fun and well-crafted strategy games you can play right now. Unfortunately, the 'Retold' bit in the title doesn't mean a novel take on the game's campaigns, as these are exactly the same ones as in 2002 and 2014.

Shacknews 7/10
www.shacknews.com

Age of Mythology Retold review: I've heard this story before

Our Age of Mythology Retold review breaks down what makes this revamped RTS different from its siblings and where the remake should've gone further.
Age of Mythology Retold is fun, don't get me wrong. The visual overhaul alone is enough to make playing this 22-year-old game easier, and the quality-of-life improvements sand down some of the older versions' more annoying edges. However, with more substantial structural improvements in later Age of Empires games, plus with the likes of Ara: History Untold just around the corner, I'm just not sure Retold needed to exist.

Consolecreatures - Recommended
www.consolecreatures.com

Review: Age Of Mythology: Retold | Console Creatures

Like the gods themselves, Age of Mythology: Retold has never been more likely to endure.
With a new engine, meta and new lighting and motion, Age of Mythology: Retold does a lot to reintroduce one of the real-time strategy genre's darlings.

Last edited:

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Man I want to play it so bad but cannot support the AI art god portraits.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds great! Looking forward to this as I never played the original but love AoE. A fantastical version of AoE sounds like a lot of fun to me.

It looks awesome visually, and the rebalancing and QoL updates are very nice. Interested to see how I like the campaigns, AoE 2 and 3 had very different approaches to their campaigns, curious how this compares. Does each civ have their own campaign?

I'll probably get the premium edition that includes both upcoming expansions (wonder what the second expansion will be - perhaps a Meso-American civ & pantheon?). And that comes with advanced access, so might be playing this very soon!

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
The core game rules and I'm not surprised it's still good, but the most pleasant surprise is hearing about the great support for controllers!

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It looks fantastic visually, and the rebalancing and QoL updates are very nice. Interested to see how I like the campaigns, AoE 2 and 3 had very different approaches to their campaigns, curious how this compares. Does each civ have their own campaign?

The campaigns are the same as the original. You'll play as various factions during the campaign. In AoM you have 4 factions, but a lot of differences between them depending on the major and minor gods you choose.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Is it known for a fact that they are AI? I only know people were assuming based on their look but I don't know if we ever got confirmation.
They said a couple months ago they weren't AI on Twitter but it was clear during the beta that they were using AI possibly touched up a bit. So many weird inconsistencies and choices with many of the god portraits.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Looking forward to this. The original is one of my favourite games, and it'll be good to have a proper effort to wash away the memory of that awful Extended Edition.

Any word on how the new voice acting is? The bits I've heard so far didn't sound very good (in a "poor direction" sense — the actors/voices themselves sounded fine).

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Already got my premium edition bought.

Age games have been so, so good under the new era of Xbox. Cant wait to replay this classic. I don't think I actually finished all of the campaign back in the day, and I never knew about the original botched Chinese expansion. Glad to see they're fixing that and adding another pantheon further down the road.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
The campaigns are the same as the original. You'll play as various factions during the campaign. In AoM you have 4 factions, but a lot of differences between them depending on the major and minor gods you choose.
OK cool, I like the sound of that. I actually didn't mind AoE3's interconnected, more story-based campaign, this sounds kinda similar in a sense.

No Minnmax review no buy
Ha yeah I'm sure Ben will at least give some thoughts on it on an upcoming Minnmax Show.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Viper having so much fun with the new wonder age and the hydras has me wanting to buy it lol

Didn't play it a lot growing up but I remember enjoying the mythology and spamming anubites. I mean it's basically AOE2 but myth and that's pretty rad by itself.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Very thorough review from neowin

Neowin 9.5/10
www.neowin.net

Age of Mythology: Retold Review - Just how you remember it, but better

Age of Mythology: Retold is finally here, and it's promising fully rebuilt campaigns filled with mythical beings and godly real-time strategy battles. Here's our review.
The scale of the changes that have been implemented to Age of Mythology: Retold over the iconic original experience is why this kind of effort cannot just be called a remaster. I hope to see more campaigns emerge out of Xbox Game Studios in the future with the same level of detail to keep this fantastic experience alive. Even if anyone is irked about any of the new features or alterations, the existence of official modding support should make many fans happy. I expect the first files to come out of the fanbase with some sort of replacement scheme before anyone can say "Prostagma".

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
That Xbox first-party seal of quality. Nice review scores so far. I have no interest in this genre but I am pleased to see it appears to be a quality title.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
That Xbox first-party seal of quality. Nice review scores so far. I have no interest in this genre but I am pleased to see it appears to be a quality title.

I agree. Xbox do seem to hit 80-85 pretty much all the time now, with the rare Redfall plonked in.

That said, they could really do with some annual 90+ AAA bangers to spice things up.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is this out tomorrow? I thought it was next week?

Edit: nvm saw the premium gets early access. Got it!

Oct 12, 2020
Have to temper a few items in Diablo 4, take a dog for a long walk…then its Age of Mythology:Retold for the rest of the day….and probably night.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They said a couple months ago they weren't AI on Twitter but it was clear during the beta that they were using AI possibly touched up a bit. So many weird inconsistencies and choices with many of the god portraits.
They replaced these portraits for the launch version, they look way better now.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Brand new to RTS games - Someone on here a while back recommended to wait for this to come out and play it as my first. Is that still sage advice to you RTS lovers in here?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Brand new to RTS games - Someone on here a while back recommended to wait for this to come out and play it as my first. Is that still sage advice to you RTS lovers in here?

Yeah it was pretty early for me (I think Starcraft was my first?) It would be a great first RTS I think.

Oct 12, 2020

I was completely new to RTS games on console until Age of Empries:DE came out for Xbox. I thought what the hell its on Game Pass, I'll give it a go. Well, I have fallen completely for these games thanks to the amazing job they have done with the controls on console. I assume that Age of Mythology will have a great tutorial like Age 2 and 4 have and I would strongly urge anyone new to these games on console to do the tutorials…probably more than once.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Oh they're doing the upgrade to premium if you have gamepass? Meaning I can play this on PC today? Hmmm

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am stoked to play this tonight. I completely missed this game back in the day.

I love how strong the Age of franchise is doing today.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh they're doing the upgrade to premium if you have gamepass? Meaning I can play this on PC today? Hmmm

I managed to reason to myself that it's better to straight up buy the premium edition on Steam for 42.49€, than to pay 24.99€ for gamepass upgrade.

Realistically I should have done neither, the base game on gamepass would be good for a long while, but ultimately one day I would want a copy in my Steam library as well so.. why not day 1.