Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
full_gear_2020_v2.jpg

Here we are again. Another AEW PPV, and this one with one of the better cards the company has delivered to date. Up and down there are matches that figure to deliver big time whether in the action or in the story they are telling. On top we have maybe the two best talkers in wrestling, who have delivered a build to remember in every respect. Down the card, you have a first-time meeting between two former partners, and a tag team match that was once one of the most anticipated matches in wrestling. Let's waste no time and get to the card.

As always, the show will be LIVE on B/R Live in the US and FITE.TV internationally. Start time is 5PM PT/8PM ET for the main show.

t1604793600z1.png

aew-full-gear-jon-moxley-eddie-kingston-1604414524.jpg

AEW World Championship - I Quit Match - Jon Moxley (c) vs. Eddie Kingston

Six months ago, Eddie Kingston was unsure how much of his wrestling career was left. After floating around the indies for years with brief stints with Impact and the newly-reformed NWA, Kingston felt at the end of his rope. Then in July, he received an opportunity to appear on Dynamite and challenge Cody for the TNT Championship and has never looked back. Quickly establishing himself in the upper echelon of the promotion with his ability to talk his way into and out of anything, Kingston now finds himself in the biggest match of his career with a man he once considered a best friend. That best friend on the other side is the dominant AEW Champion, Jon Moxley, who has yet to find a challenge in AEW that he cannot overcome. Over one year on, not a single person has been able to beat Moxley one-on-one. And neither could Kingston when he tried one month ago, passing out in a choke applied by Mox. This being no normal match, Kingston has to feel better about his chances in a violent brawl. But as Joey Janela and Kenny Omega have learned in the past, facing Moxley with no rules is a dangerous proposition. I will also link the absolutely amazing promo these two had this past week on Dynamite. If you haven't seen it, watch it. If you have, watch it again.

aew-full-gear-kenny-omega-hangman-page-1604414885.jpg

World Title Eliminator Tournament Final - Kenny Omega vs. "Hangman" Adam Page

In some ways, this match is both the culmination of AEW's 2020 and the beginning of their 2021. At the start of the year, with both struggling to find footings as singles wrestlers, Elite stablemates Adam Page and Kenny Omega decided to give a shot at being a tag team and not only did they find a footing but they dominated the division on their way to holding the AEW Tag Titles for almost eight full months. But no matter how high the team flew, there was always an undercurrent of tension between the two men. Much of this initially stemmed from Hangman's insecurities about himself and his abilities, but when it finally came to a head at All Out it became clear the one who was well and truly finished with the team was Omega. Despite Hangman's desire to reclaim the tag titles, Kenny made it known he was ready to achieve his promise as a singles wrestler once and for all. Both men entered the newly-designed Eliminator Tournament to determine the #1 Contender for the World Title, and now they find themselves at the moment that seemed inevitable. For Omega to become the singles star he feels destined to be, he'll have to go through his former partner. And for Hangman to finally find security in his ability and place in AEW, he will have to prove himself against one of the best wrestlers in the world. One man will leave disappointed, but you can be certain these two will find themselves crossing paths again over the next year.

aew-full-gear-ftr-the-young-bucks-1604414422.jpg

AEW World Tag Team Championship - FTR (c) vs. The Young Bucks

The Young Bucks first year in AEW hasn't gone quite as they envisioned it. Whether it's getting knocked out of the initial Tag Title Tournament by Private Party, being eclipsed by stablemates Kenny Omega and Hangman Page, or even just watching as their allies fell away and their rivals in FTR arrived and captured the titles, the year just has not been kind to the Young Bucks. And with all that pressure finally seeming to get to them, the Bucks have recently acted erratic and out-of-control on their way to finally earning their shot at FTR. Further evidence that they are at their wit's end, The Young Bucks have proclaimed that if they do not successfully capture the AEW Tag Titles on this night, they will never challenge for them again. With Matt carrying a knee injury into this match that may not be the wisest stake to place, but maybe it is just the motivation the Bucks need to finally capture the gold.

aew-full-gear-cody-darby-allin-1604414391.jpg

TNT Championship - Cody (c) vs. Darby Allin

After taking a brief hiatus to film a TV show, Cody came back with a vengeance and immediately recaptured the TNT Title in a brutal Dog Collar Match with Brodie Lee. With this victory, Cody has seemed to be reinvigorated but maybe more vulnerable than he was in his last reign with the title. After being pushed to a time limit by Orange Cassidy three weeks ago, he needed the help of Arn Anderson in the rematch to overcome Cassidy and keep his title. And now he finds himself against a familiar foe in Darby Allin. These two know each other in and out, and with Cody being both vulnerable and maybe overconfident this may be Darby's best chance yet to finally topple a rival and claim his first championship in AEW.

aew-full-gear-chris-jericho-mjf-1604414347.jpg

Chris Jericho vs. MJF

After his loss at All Out to Jon Moxley, MJF went on a search to finally find a team of his own in AEW. Eventually eyeing the Inner Circle as the group he wanted into, MJF made many an attempt to placate leader Chris Jericho (much to the dismay of other members of the team). The two went back and forth in many a ridiculous segment until Jericho finally made his terms known: if MJF wanted to be in The Inner Circle, he had to prove his value by defeating Jericho one-on-one at Full Gear. With these two egos going to battle, neither man wants to be made to look inferior, so expect both to pull out every stop they can to prove themselves above the other. For Jericho this is about establishing he can still compete at the top of AEW, while for MJF it's a chance to claim a victory over an idol.

aew-full-gear-hikaru-shida-nyla-rose-1604414462.jpg

AEW Women's World Championship - Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Nyla Rose

After losing her AEW Women's Championship to Hikaru Shida in May at Double or Nothing, Nyla Rose went out and found herself a manager in Vickie Guerrero. Since then, Nyla has proven to be head and shoulders above the other women in the division. As Shida spent the summer facing all challengers, Nyla would bide her time until she felt the moment was right. So now these two face off again in a rematch, and with Shida barely escaping the first time with a victory, the question is begged of whether or not she can overcome Rose again.

aew-full-gear-matt-hardy-sammy-guevara-1604414575.jpg

The Elite Deletion - Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara

At the rate that these two are escalating things, someone might literally die in this match. After a brutal ending between the two at All Out in what seemed like the conclusion, Sammy Guevara attacked Matt Hardy from behind backstage and made it known that he would not stop his crusade until Hardy was retired for good. Hardy, obviously happy to oblige in the mutual destruction, challenged Guevara to meet him on his terms, in The Elite Deletion. Anyone familiar with Hardy knows where this is headed and what kind of match this is going to be, and I expect both men will have their pound of flesh before it's all over.

cassidy-silver_0.jpg

Orange Cassidy vs. John Silver

Part of the cavalcade of chaos that cost Orange Cassidy his second chance at Cody's TNT Title was the interference of the Dark Order's John Silver. Silver, who has become more and more confident and outlandish in recent weeks, ran into the match and attacked Cassidy behind the referee. Now Cassidy will get his hands on Silver one-on-one and Silver, who has made it clear how much he loves the spotlight, will get the biggest chance of his life in a PPV singles match to prove he is more than just another number on the Dark Order's list.

fg-buy-in-de-ka.jpeg

Buy-In Preshow: NWA Women's World Championship - Serena Deeb (c) vs. Allysin Kay

A late addition to the card, the pre-show match will see the AEW debut of Allysin Kay as she challenges recently-crowned NWA Women's Champion Serena Deeb. As a former NWA Title holder, Kay knows what it takes to capture the championship, but Deeb will use this early defense as a way to prove she is here to stay on top of that division.

And that's the show! As always, the card appears very solid on paper and there are quite a few matches that could end up being the best of the night once everything is said and done. I'd be remiss if I didn't link to some of the wonderful Countdown videos that have been produced for the top matches, so check them out.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I'm just gonna say it, AEW is my favourite wrestling federation since WCW ended. I watched WCW to the end, and AEW is every positive about WCW with every negative removed. And while I enjoy NJPW and WWE, AEW stomps both in terms of all around package. They might not have the consistent great matches of NJPW, but the way AEW rewards you through coherence of story and character is great. Like Cody loses a match and can't challenge for the AEW title... and it's a year later and he hasn't. And when he does again, they'll have a logical reason for how he's able to do so.

Wrestling has had TV shows for aeons, but this is the first time it actually feels like a real episodic TV show. Shit, they even pay off and bring back obscure shit like The Bunny rejoining Butcher and Blade and make it coherent.

Which is, to say, I'm hyped for Full Gear. Hangman vs Omega is going to be insane,

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yay. The main event is gonna be special.

PSA: Do not miss Countdown to Full Gear. Really really good stuff.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna have to get a nap in at some point today or I'll be way too knackered to watch the full show, but I'm looking forward to it. Have a feeling Eddie vs. Mox is going to be something really special and land some emotional shots.

Very excited for Page vs. Omega too.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
- Serena
- Nyla
- Orange
- Matt
- Jericho
- Darby
- Kenny
- Bucks
- Mox

Doesn't make sense to me to let someone's contract expire and then put the belt on them so obviously Serena wins.

Silver gets his comeuppance. And he looks like a rising star in defeat.

Nyla. I flipped a coin. Who actually cares who goes over here? Piss poor build.

Elite Deletion could go either way, it should be a match that changes both guys. Maybe Matt loses to bring out a new character. Maybe Sammy loses to start a face turn. I go with Matt winning just to end the feud.

I think Jericho/MJF has been set up with the week to week literally screaming that the odds are so much in MJF favour that this is the match where there could be a swerve. I think Jericho will get the win but at some point in the future, the Circle will reveal they're with MJF regardless and they'll all beat him (and maybe Sammy) out of the group. Jericho comes out on Dynamite trashing MJF for not having the killer instinct but then MJF sets the Circle on Jericho. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I went back and forth on the TNT title match but the fact that they got the main event and Cody bigged him up so much makes me think Darby is finally ending his losing streak vs Cody.

I think Kenny wins to set up him vs Mox at Revolution. I'm ok with either guy winning but I think Page is more of a long term build and it'll be this time next year that he gets his shot and ends Kenny's domination.

I love both FTR and the Bucks so I'm ok with either winning. I just want them to have the match I've dreamed in my head ever since the teasers started years ago. FTR seem to have run through all the face challengers, which points out to me that Bucks are being set up to win, much like FTR were set up to beat Omegaman after they ran through the entire division. It all depends on how bad Matt's knee is I guess, if he can keep going then I'm going with the Bucks and if not the Bucks can lose with the stipulation and at some point AEW can introduce the TNT tag titles and they can win those instead. That's a joke btw.

Sidenote: I'm very disappointed to hear Tony Khan say in an interview that the world title will always be the main event. That's stupid especially if say the challenger got hurt or got Covid or something and they had to add in a last minute replacement. If he's saying that a dream match like FTR/Bucks can't main event in those circumstances then it shows there are the same impenetrable glass ceilings even in AEW.

Mox wins. This has been the greatest stop gap feud I've possibly ever seen but that's what it is. I hope there's a clean finish and we don't get a towel thrown in or Eddie quitting but not actually saying the words. I think if anyone can overcome saying I Quit while not only retaining their mystique but maybe turning it into a positive for their character then Eddie Kingston can do that. And I hope that's the way they go here.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
- Serena
- Nyla
- Orange
- Matt
- Jericho
- Darby
- Kenny
- Bucks
- Mox

Doesn't make sense to me to let someone's contract expire and then put the belt on them so obviously Serena wins.

Silver gets his comeuppance. And he looks like a rising star in defeat.

Nyla. I flipped a coin. Who actually cares who goes over here? Piss poor build.

Elite Deletion could go either way, it should be a match that changes both guys. Maybe Matt loses to bring out a new character. Maybe Sammy loses to start a face turn. I go with Matt winning just to end the feud.

I think Jericho/MJF has been set up with the week to week literally screaming that the odds are so much in MJF favour that this is the match where there could be a swerve. I think Jericho will get the win but at some point in the future, the Circle will reveal they're with MJF regardless and they'll all beat him (and maybe Sammy) out of the group. Jericho comes out on Dynamite trashing MJF for not having the killer instinct but then MJF sets the Circle on Jericho. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I went back and forth on the TNT title match but the fact that they got the main event and Cody bigged him up so much makes me think Darby is finally ending his losing streak vs Cody.

I think Kenny wins to set up him vs Mox at Revolution. I'm ok with either guy winning but I think Page is more of a long term build and it'll be this time next year that he gets his shot and ends Kenny's domination.

I love both FTR and the Bucks so I'm ok with either winning. I just want them to have the match I've dreamed in my head ever since the teasers started years ago. FTR seem to have run through all the face challengers, which points out to me that Bucks are being set up to win, much like FTR were set up to beat Omegaman after they ran through the entire division. It all depends on how bad Matt's knee is I guess, if he can keep going then I'm going with the Bucks and if not the Bucks can lose with the stipulation and at some point AEW can introduce the TNT tag titles and they can win those instead. That's a joke btw.

Sidenote: I'm very disappointed to hear Tony Khan say in an interview that the world title will always be the main event. That's stupid especially if say the challenger got hurt or got Covid or something and they had to add in a last minute replacement. If he's saying that a dream match like FTR/Bucks can't main event in those circumstances then it shows there are the same impenetrable glass ceilings even in AEW.

Mox wins. This has been the greatest stop gap feud I've possibly ever seen but that's what it is. I hope there's a clean finish and we don't get a towel thrown in or Eddie quitting but not actually saying the words. I think if anyone can overcome saying I Quit while not only retaining their mystique but maybe turning it into a positive for their character then Eddie Kingston can do that. And I hope that's the way they go here.

FTR vs Young Bucks isn't even close to the level of Mox vs Kingston. They chose right.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Card looks good but I just don't care for AEW anymore. First ppv I'm gonna skip. Kenny/Hangman should be match of the night. FTR has kinda been a disappointment in AEW so far.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
FTR vs Young Bucks isn't even close to the level of Mox vs Kingston. They chose right.

I'm not saying that it should happen at Full Gear. It shouldn't. FTR/Bucks is a dream match but its had a mixed build. Mox/Kingston has had a great build and absolutely should go on last tonight.

The point of that comment was that AEW was started with one of the key points being that tag team wrestling will be treated seriously in this promotion and both the Bucks and Khan have said in the past that a tag title match could headline a PPV.

Khan has basically said that no matter the circumstances, the world title match will always go on last. I'm saying I don't agree with that. If you build up the tag title match or the women's title match and it feels like a bigger deal than the main title match then you don't put the world title in the main event.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that it should happen at Full Gear. It shouldn't. FTR/Bucks is a dream match but its had a mixed build. Mox/Kingston has had a great build and absolutely should go on last tonight.

The point of that comment was that AEW was started with one of the key points being that tag team wrestling will be treated seriously in this promotion and both the Bucks and Khan have said in the past that a tag title match could headline a PPV.

Khan has basically said that no matter the circumstances, the world title match will always go on last. I'm saying I don't agree with that. If you build up the tag title match or the women's title match and it feels like a bigger deal than the main title match then you don't put the world title in the main event.

I really wouldn't read much into it. They've already done two PPVs where the World Title didn't go last.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only saw part of the last PPV (combination of being busy with other stuff and kinda got taken out of it by Matt Hardy's match), but I'm gonna try tuning in for this one. Haven't seen any Dynamites or anything so it should be fun going into this mostly blind.

On paper it looks like a really good card.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela

Wait a tick, Mox didn't go on last at Double Or Nothing. Stadium Stampede did. Khan has already broken his own rule so he'd happily do it again.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Wait a tick, Mox didn't go on last at Double Or Nothing. Stadium Stampede did. Khan has already broken his own rule so he'd happily do it again.
He said in special scenarios a different match other than the WT could go last. the lights out matches, Stadium Stampede, other WT matches with lots of build up. That kind of thing.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Looks to be a fun card with "mostly" predictable outcomes. Which I think is perfectly fine. Most of the G1 tourney was predictable as well but that's what you want when stories/angles are logically built and seen through to their natural conclusions.

Looking forward to Mox/Kingston the most. Hoping they main event but not convinced that they will. Leaning towards FTR vs. Bucks or Omega vs. Page being the main.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Great OP Serene

Looking forward to the show

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Looks to be a fun card with "mostly" predictable outcomes. Which I think is perfectly fine. Most of the G1 tourney was predictable as well but that's what you want when stories/angles are logically built and seen through to their natural conclusions.

Looking forward to Mox/Kingston the most. Hoping they main event but not convinced that they will. Leaning towards FTR vs. Bucks or Omega vs. Page being the main.

I mean Mox is winning, but Kingston wins just by main eventing a PPV. Dude was brought in for one match against Cody, and is now a credible world title contender. In less than a few months.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Eddie's gonna win the damn thing, wear the damn belt, and have some damn good heel-heel title feuds with Archer and PAC.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
AEW uploaded the full Countdown to Full Gear show to their YouTube channel:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I think your predictions will prove spot on.

Shida vs Nyla is the only one I'm not sure on.
I had it as Nyla right before posting. On one hand they've done nothing with Shida. On the other hand this match had no build. It really feels like they're killing time until they're ready to hand it over to Baker.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I had it as Nyla right before posting. On one hand they've done nothing with Shida. On the other hand this match had no build. It really feels like they're killing time until they're ready to hand it over to Baker.
They really should've come up with an excuse to insert Baker into it as a triple threat.

Depending on the finish, she could have ready-made beef with both of the women beyond simple "she has the belt now".

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be such a great distraction from all this election shit.

Cody vs Darby has the potential to be an absolute cluster fuck of storylines merging. Team Taz will be ringside with their grudge against Darby, which leads me to believe Will Hobbs will turn up to keep them away, and I also have a feeling that Brodie Lee shows up to possibly cost Cody the title.

I'm fine with either Nyla or Shida winning the title, but for the love of God I hope AEW doesn't do the WWE thing and have Vicki be the reason Nyla wins. But I do think Shida wins so that she can eventually lose it to Britt.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
This Countdown show is great. Between this week's Dynamite and the countdown, they made the most of the rushed build to the PPV and tidied things up pretty nicely.

Hype for this show tonight. Several matches have the potential to be classics

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I agree with you. I definitely agree that some matches deserve to go on last if they're that well built, if they're that exciting. I get why Tony doesn't want to do that, but would prefer the most hype match go on last. We've had a couple PPVs now where the best match was the one that didn't go on last and it 100% hurt the energy for what came after (OmegaMan vs. Young Bucks).

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've kept track of everyone's predictions for Full Gear so far, from the Dynamite thread and now here. Here are the odds, so far!

Jon Moxley 93% / Eddie Kingston 7%
Young Bucks 64% / FTR 36%
Hikaru Shida 57% / Sammy Guevara 43%
Darby Allin 86% / Cody Rhodes 14%
Kenny Omega 79% / Adam Page 21%
MJF 71% / Chris Jericho 29%
Matt Hardy 57% / Nyla Rose 43%
Orange Cassidy 71% / John Silver 29%
Serena Deeb 100% / Allysin Kay 0%

Last edited:

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Moxley
Young Bucks
Shida
Allin
Omega
MJF
Hardy
Orange Cassidy
Deeb

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
Tonight's PPV looks to be a banger of a card from top to bottom. Only match I'm skeptical about is FTR vs the Bucks if it's true that Matt might be hurt. It looks like they are set to get the titles tonight, but hopefully they hold off if they are hurt and we get some Tully stable fuckery with Spears interfering.

I am happy for Eddie to finally get at least a World title shot in which has been one of the best feuds in a long time. We know he won't win but it'll be an entertaining match. Does PAC get involved here?

Sucks that there is no Cage, Archer, Starks, Lee, and several others on this PPV. Honestly I could have done without Sammy Vs Hardy, that spells train wreck again or OC vs Silver.

I am very excited to see Kay get a shot at the NWA title on an AEW card. She's very talented and they need to sign her up. This NWA thing hopefully is heading somewhere and is not just here and there.

I'd be okay with Cody losing the title, getting tired of his HHHish tendencies and I used to like the guy a lot.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
My predictions:

Mox — My wild prediction is that Pac shows up and beats the hell out of Kingston while Mox is incapacitated. Mox gets up unaware and finishes the job. I want Kingston to win because I think the story lines coming off of that would be fresher, but Mox vs. Kenny is inevitable.
Bucks — I think they win tonight and drop the belts almost immediately so the Bucks can take some time to heal up.
Hardy — Sammy gonna lose, turn and then quit the Inner Circle after MJF joins.
Darby — This one has been a slow burn and they are gonna put the belt on Darby to see what he can do
Omega — He's going full heel in this one. This could be the match of the year.
MJF — He wins, joins Jericho and then the Inner Circle implodes or turns on Jericho altogether.
Rose — I love Shida, but her reign has been a dud (no fault of hers). Rose vs. Baker would be a classic in that sense and the division needs a reset.
OC - Glad to see Silver getting some Shine, but Cassidy still has the momentum from the Jericho feud.
Deeb — This will be a great showcase for both. Deeb crushes in the ring. Maybe Thunder Rosa shows up?

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I've been enjoying Eddie and want him to be a champ, I wish it was someone else he was facing because Mox is unstoppable. He's outsmarted, out wrestled everyone and I don't see anyone viable to beat him, unless it's a lapse in emotions where he slips up and Eddie takes advantage of it.

Nyla should win, I feel she got shorted on her previous time. She needs a monster run, wipes out everyone in the coming weeks, so when there's no on left, Stat or Rosa challenge.

I honestly want Cody to keep the belt, Darby's becoming one note and being "the face of TNT" does nothing for him. I'm still mad it's not handsome ass Scorpio.

I'm excited to see what this Allysin Kay is about, seen good things and hype around her.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Picks:
  • Moxley
  • Omega
  • Young Bucks
  • Darby
  • MJF
  • Shida
  • Hardy
  • OC
  • Deeb

I agree with this except I think Nyla will win. Shida's reign has been bland lately and that's partially due to what they have to work with in the women's roster. But I think they go with Nyla to shake things up while building up some more faces. Even though I think she's a boring champ since she's usually squashing jobbers.

Oct 27, 2017
So hyped for the PPV. I can't believe I missed a few of these. So ready for the Buy-In. I'm actually really excited to see Deeb and Kay bring it.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
When Omega and Hangman meet again for the title at Double or Nothing or at All Out...

Hangman WILL be the first (and possibly only) person to ever kick out of the one winged angel.

bookmark this post.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
When Omega and Hangman meet again for the title at Double or Nothing or at All Out...

Hangman WILL be the first (and possibly only) person to ever kick out of the one winged angel.

bookmark this post.
I dunno man, he'll fine a way to ropebreak or something out of it, but I can't see a kickout.

Omega has to be saving that for Ibushi

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I dunno man, he'll fine a way to ropebreak or something out of it, but I can't see a kickout.

Omega has to be saving that for Ibushi

Ibushi doesn't need it though. Hangman beating Omega and kicking out of the OWA has the strong possibility to make him a fucking megastar. Like he's already over, but imagine the pop and momentum he'd have of beating Omega AND kicking out of the most protected move in wrestling.