Λntonio

Jun 25, 2024
So spanish youtuber and personality "Puerta al Sótano" was recently at a Flight Sim event. Aaron Greenberg was there too. PR person apparently asked fans which games they wanted to see again.

"Puerta al Sótano" answered "Banjo-Kazooie" and apparently Aaron said "Nobody cares about Banjo Kazooie".

Thoughts?

Sauce:

View: https://youtu.be/grOU1_xWV7A

Last edited:

orvilleKat

Feb 18, 2024
I mean yeah the original game is almost 30 years old at this point and I doubt many younger players played or even heard of it (outside of Smash, I guess). And the only "recent" game they did was Nuts and Bolts which isn't really like the other two. So in a way he's not "wrong", but it is their own fault for sitting on the IP for so long and letting it get forgotten by modern audiences.

dgamemaster

Detective Mode: On
Jun 29, 2020
Unless this is verifiable by other people who were there at the event, this is nothing but a rumor meant to just stir the pot about Banjo.

Honestly it's nothing IMO

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
the Xbox marketing director would certainly know a thing or two about brands that have lost a bit of relevance, now wouldn't they

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, duh.

Uncultivated franchises die. Nut and Bolts was an interesting experiment, but very misguided honestly. Killed the franchise.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
bm0OQTf.jpeg

Cinnamon

Jan 18, 2023
I remember when people said the exact same things about Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.

Super Bomberman R went on to become the best selling game in the entire franchise.

Crash N' Sane Trilogy sold over 20 million copies.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
If we take that statement seriously, he kinda has a point: the current mainstream market is dominated by shooters and sandbox stuff. B-K has an audience indeed, mostly millenials who are in the Nintendo ecosystem.

The current MS/Xbox market doesn't care about that franchise. If they somehow bring together a team who understands those games and are willing to put in on Nintendo hardware, I could see decent sales for a new bear and bird project.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's why Banjo-Kazooie got in Smash huh?

I mean...Microsoft easily allowed a non-used character to be used in a rival company's game for a nostalgia play...

So yes, it absolutely is.

As for the statement...yeah he's kinda right.

Nuts and Bolts is an incredible game and people talk about it like it killed their entire family.

Cinnamon

Jan 18, 2023
B-K has an audience indeed, mostly millenials who are in the Nintendo ecosystem.

The current MS/Xbox market doesn't care about that franchise.

I'm not even sure what the "Xbox" market is anymore.

Most Xbox franchises are currently available on PC, Switch and even PlayStation (Hi-Fi Rush, Indiana Jones)

So why can't Microsoft release a Banjo-Kazooie game on Xbox, PC and Nintendo?

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I think if they ever did a new sequel to Banjo Kazooie, fans would hate it. Fans were mixed on the original sequel, hated Nuts & Bolts and didn't like the spiritual successor that was made hy the original team. I don't see another attempt at a sequel going any better in terms of fan reception.

That is unless they really, really went back to basics and essentially made it Banjo 1 with new levels.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how the "IP cultivation" argument works when Crash and Spyro were basically dead prior to their remakes and still sold well enough to justify reviving the IP. There's zero reason that couldn't work here. Banjo has name recognition. It's not like we're talking about reviving Croc.

JasperMyst

Powered by Friendship™
Sep 25, 2023
Kills my heart but it's kinda true.

Rare could have easily given us something many years ago but Microsoft just doesn't care for it nor Rare anymore up to this point.

I'm up for more wacky adventures like Rare used to make but even that kind of humor has been killed due to where we're at as a society.

Something like Conker for example wouldn't sit well with current norms and even the slightest off key could bite themselves to oblivion.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah because they've given nobody a reason to care. There is a hell of a lot of love for 3d platformers from that Era, which a good new Banjo could definitely tap into (like how Crash and Spyro remakes were able too), but doesn't seem like they will even try. 😞

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If he even said this, I'm going to assume something is being lost in translation here like sarcasm. A Microsoft PR guy asking MEDIA people what franchises they'd like to see come back, only to flippantly and earnestly say "no one cares about X" is too stupid to be true. And yes, I can already see the funnel of lazy Aaron Greenberg jokes coming in response to that statement.

Phil Spencer even said something to the effect of "Banjo fans, we hear you" at some point in the past year (can't recall the precise outlet). And this isn't to suggest a game is coming, but that they understand there's a fanbase there that they don't want to piss off for no reason by saying things like "nobody cares about Banjo" at a PRESS EVENT.

Aug 29, 2024
at a certain point when you do next to nothing with an IP and you clearly don't believe in it in the first place yeah you will create the conditions for nobody caring about it

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I don't know how the "IP cultivation" argument works when Crash and Spyro were basically dead prior to their remakes and still sold well enough to justify reviving the IP. There's zero reason that couldn't work here. It's not like we're talking about reviving Croc.

Spyro (or I guess "Spyro") headlined Skylanders, which was huge for Activision for a while. I know it's not what 90s gamers wanted out of the purple dragon, but Skylanders!Spyro had a moment (before they ran it into the ground) and even had a netflix show, right? Crash was also receiving new games up until 2010. Admittedly the latter day Crash games weren't huge or anything, but they existed.

Banjo had Nuts & Bolts, which was an epic failure that nobody liked.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
If he even said this, I'm going to assume something is being lost in translation here like sarcasm. A Microsoft PR guy asking MEDIA people what franchises they'd like to see come back, only to flippantly and earnestly say "no one cares about X" is too stupid to be true. And yes, I can already see the funnel of lazy Aaron Greenberg jokes coming in response to that statement.

Phil Spencer even said something to the effect of "Banjo fans, we hear you" at some point in the past year (can't recall the precise outlet). And this isn't to suggest a game is coming, but that they understand there's a fanbase there that they don't want to piss off for no reason by saying things like "nobody cares about Banjo" at a PRESS EVENT.

Yup. Pretty sure it was sarcasm and more of a "hint hint wink wink* kind of statement that they're actually working on it. The franchise gets a ton of new merchandise yearly that must be selling fairly well or they'd stop the merchandising deals.

So clearly people and Xbox do care, just need to get a new game out there.

Aug 29, 2024
Spyro (or I guess "Spyro") headlined Skylanders, which was huge for Activision for a while. Crash was also receiving new games up until 2010. Admittedly the latter day Crash games weren't huge or anything, but they existed.

every couple of years we get the nuts and bolts was secretly good discourse and that string runs out pretty quickly as you might imagine

Oct 25, 2017
Spyro (or I guess "Spyro") headlined Skylanders, which was huge for Activision for a while. Crash was also receiving new games up until 2010. Admittedly the latter day Crash games weren't huge or anything, but they existed.

Banjo also got re-releases in Rare Replay and an extremely well-received Smash Bros. reveal, it's not like he totally vanished. If you can revive Crash then you absolutely could do it with Banjo. Whether Microsoft chooses to or not is a whole other story.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pgr7kjrtbp1sxhezvo3_r1_540.gif

Real talk. Of course it wouldn't sell 10 million copies like games nowadays need to sell. But I think it would be a multi-million seller if done right and if released on Playstation and (especially) Switch and/or Switch 2.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
If he even said this, I'm going to assume something is being lost in translation here like sarcasm. A Microsoft PR guy asking MEDIA people what franchises they'd like to see come back, only to flippantly and earnestly say "no one cares about X" is too stupid to be true.
Just for context: the way he explains it in the video, I think the PR guy who asked the question wasn't Aaron Greenberg. Aaron was sitting in the audience, 2 rows in front of him.