• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
Hello Era. Just makinh this thread to vent a bit, and maybe get a few tips.

A few months ago I was offered the position of manager of a small-ish restaurant that was still in the building phase for a large company that owns several big franchises. I thought about it for a day or two and said yes. I come from cleaning tables (no studying whatsoever) and have worked my way upwards on the floor for a few years but I have not gotten close to the level of responsibility of a GM. The hiring process is almost done, my contract is signed and we're about to open very soon.

As a manager I'm supposed to be confident in front of my employees, and obviously to my own bosses, so I front a lot. I know that I can run shifts, handle customers and encourage staff but I literally have zero HR knowledge and economics/excel/office jobs is something I have never done. So I'm very insecure about a large part of my day-to-day work duties. And there's no one to vent do, which is why I'm making this thread I guess. I have departments to ask (HR, marketing, finance/salary etc) but I'm expected to do mostly everything myself and they are there for the "boring" stuff (I send in working hours and revenue to finance, signed contracts to HR, marketing makes ads for example).

The only thing that makes me "qualified" is good faith from the company (I've been lucky, gotten the right opportunities and worked hard on-location I guess) and I've taken an obligatory federal test you need to become a manager (basically basic knowledge about budget/rules about working hours/documents needed for official controls) but that's all.

Maybe I just need some encouragement, but to start some sort of discussion I'll ask:
1. Ever felt like you have been in over your head? How did you handle it?
2. What would/do you expect from a manager from an employee's perspective?
3. Any tips to get any sort of work/life balance when this is all I think about all day?

Thanks era!

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
As a manager I'm supposed to be confident in front of my employees, and obviously to my own bosses, so I front a lot. I know that I can run shifts,
It sounds like you are a front of house manager? Your big issue/problem will be assigning hours to people because the servers will complain. You need to have a reason for why someone deserves a Friday night shift and another person should work Mon thru Wed lunch. Have a reason prepared. Lunch is more steady and faster but tips less but there is more volume. Dinner is slower but tips more.

There are tons of FOH manger guides online. I currently use them as a BOH manager.

DarthGoomba

Oct 30, 2017
OP, that uncomfortable feeling means your out of your comfort zone, and therefore you are growing!

Years back, I saw the quote below from Richard Branson, and it made me reliaze that, eventually, you'll get the hang of it.

richard-branson-quote-opportunity.jpg

OP
OP

Robiin

Oct 26, 2017
Watch Kitchen Nightmares and do the opposite.
Just make a weekly problems thread on ERA, we will do it together
These are both good.
Take ssri. It helps with anxiety.
What's ssri?
It sounds like you are a front of house manager?
It's not a restaurant in the classical sense, more comparable to a café, sandwich shop or over-the-counter cold food. Everyone does everything and has the same title. I am expected to be there 50% of my work day and 50% in office.
Your big issue/problem will be assigning hours to people because the servers will complain.
Yeah, the schedule and staff responsibility is definitely the hardest bit in general. Trying to make a schedule for the first time now. Doesn't help that we are open 17 hours 365 days a year.
There are tons of FOH manger guides online. I currently use them as a BOH manager.
Any tips with a specifically good one? Thanks
Years back, I saw the quote below from Richard Branson, and it made me reliaze that, eventually, you'll get the hang of it.
This is good, and basically how I feel - at the same time, I hate being unprepared and insecure when I'm expected to do something obviously.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Sounds like your a GM of a starbucks-deli counter-restaraunt hyrbrid franchise, and as a cook who has been working in stores comparable to that for the last 2 years over here in Greece, good fucking luck. Since you've been a busboy and server it should be easy though. The only really new bits to your job will be playing the Game of Thrones when placating everyone over their shifts, handling invoices for daily orders and making sure no one is stealing shit. Otherwise, while on site and not in the office, you just have to read the climate and make sure its all flowing well together.

slow-twitch

Oct 25, 2017
Take ssri. It helps with anxiety.

This is horrible advice.

SSRI medication should only be taken as prescribed by a doctor. SSRI drugs are not temporary anxiety reducer but treatment for major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders.

Being depressed or anxious about an acute event has very little to do with depressive and anxiety disorders. OP has no sign of a disorder.

Beside, they can take 3-6 weeks to take effects.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Depending on the store's internal employee culture, I think one thing to think about is how your interaction with employees will change. Also, while a lot of it is based off white collar office jobs, Ask a Manager might be very helpful to you.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
You'll do fine. You may mess up a little at first but mistakes are how you learn and I'm sure the job isn't rocket science. Everything is sort of set up already it's just a matter of learning and becoming used to your duties.

Keeping the confidence is key but also be open in expressing that you're new at it and intend to learn and grow with your team.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nerves are normal. Eventually you'll adapt. Expect mistakes. They are part of the process. Learn and adapt.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i was a food service manager once

it was surprisingly a lot easier than i thought it would be

just be confident and helpful

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
i was a food service manager once

it was surprisingly a lot easier than i thought it would be

just be confident and helpful
Yeah. The important thing the OP needs to learn is to rely on his team. He's going to be the conductor. But it seems he's looking at the job as his role being the main guy. Not really. Lean on your team, OP. He should also rely on his boss for advice.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Put your people first.
Know your business inside and out.
Work really hard for like 6 months and you'll improve, then work a little less.

Don't be a jerk, once you start it's hard to dial it back. Some managers get a taste and never unlearn it.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats OP!! Be confident in your own skills, always be learning new ones. Dont be afraid to call shots. You'll be the best manager in business.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If they gave you the job that means they have faith in you to handle it. Take that faith and run with it, and remind yourself every time you're feeling unsure that someone much higher up the chain believed in you.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
I am the GM of a full service restaurant. Here are some pointers...

Treat your staff well. Respect, listen and support them. Be fair but DO NOT be a push over - if someone is fucking up it puts stress on everyone else.

Trust your staff. DO NOT watch over them all day. You need to get your office work done one way or another, you don't want to spend extra hours in the office because you were on the floor all day.

Learn everything you can about your restaurant. Your employees will come to you with every question imaginable.

With respect to the office work, a larger company should have some standard operating procedures in place so it should be fairly easy for you to follow the steps.

It sounds like you have a good opportunity ahead of you. Congrats. Restaurant management can be a fun job... it can also be quite stressful but you are the boss, you can set the atmosphere.

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
You'll be okay OP. I'm sure you'll learn as you go. Is there anyone in a similar ranking position to you that you can go to with questions?

I've worked as a line cook for years now and can say that scheduling and people stealing product are probably the most consistent issues you'll have to deal with.

Also communication between BOH and FOH always seems messy no matter where I work. Servers not being aware of new menu changes or vice versa, not knowing what is 86'ed and selling it anyway so I have to make something up or disappoint a customer.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I'm in a similar situation. I don't have the job yet but I got recommended by a previous boss for a Director position for a food company.

The thing is I feel like I'm skipping a lot of management steps. I did a phone interview and they seem to have liked me so now I'm meeting with the CEO and COO in person. But I feel wholey unqualified for this.

Freaking out about it if I'm being honest.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I use to manage a restaurant for years. Number one tip I can give is be friendly with everyone but not to friendly. No one wants to work with the dick head but if you are to nice eventually everyone will walk all over you if you aren't on top of everything. I use to see it all the time when someone would get a promotion.

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
Never really thought about this issue. How does one handle this professionally? Assuming you don't catch them in the act.

Depends on the setup of your kitchen really. At my current job the walk-in coolers and dry stock are constantly locked and monitored, but I'm working in a large hotel. Even with these precautions, it's still a problem.

At my old job it was basically acknowledged that some employees would steal and there wasn't much to do about it until you caught them. One guy walked out with 6 bottles of honey in his pockets after 86'ing the honey glazed carrots that night...

Apart from security cameras if budget allows, the biggest thing to do is hire good people and place your most trustworthy cooks and servers on opening and closing positions as these are the people that are left alone with all the product. This way the ones who may steal will most likely be around a bunch of staff and managers during a lunch/dinner shift and so they can only get away with so much. I find they eventually are always caught as well if your kitchen is small enough.

Keep a tight inventory on stock too. If you just had a new hire and suddenly steaks are disappearing, might be something worth keeping in mind.

This is all just from a cook's perspective of course. Not sure as far as managerial goes. I think it's just something that's acknowledged to happen but hopefully be reduced.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
OP I'm about to go into work right now so I can only leave a quick note but watch your costs. Teach yourself some P/L stuff even if it's only online. Owners love profit and loss, labor cost stuff and you'll make yourself invaluable if you can point to cost cutting measures and streamlining.

I'm a server now but have managed front and back of the house and have been in the industry for a while now. Place I'm at now currently affords me good enough money that I prefer serving but there's some really talented managers there and watching them work has been a pleasure

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Ever felt like you have been in over your head? How did you handle it?
2. What would/do you expect from a manager from an employee's perspective?
3. Any tips to get any sort of work/life balance when this is all I think about all day?

Thanks era!

1. Yes. Fake it til you make it. Ask other managers for advice/shadow if you can.
  2. To be open, honest, and treat me right. If you take care of your people they'll take care of you.
  3. Do not fixate on it. Take tangible steps towards fixing it and let yourself relax. Overanalyzing will paralyze you.
Its great that you've worked your way up and been given this opportunity. I hope you do well.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Depends on where you are, but I see so many restaurants that make so many dumb mistakes and cook food lower than a college kid level fail. Sometimes great restaurants with a chef or a recent immigrant with home cooked food at low prices fail because the locals like wings and ranch dressing. So you have to read your market, make a decent effort, and strike good luck.

I'd get someone to setup a Yelp page for you and try to get some 4+ stars early on. That attracts the foodies and word of mouth from them will get you mainstream.

Also pay attention to traffic patterns. Don't make a dinner restaurant with a small parking lot that is accessible by a 1 way road with a wall of commuter traffic at rush hour. So many common mistakes.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
This is horrible advice.

SSRI medication should only be taken as prescribed by a doctor. SSRI drugs are not temporary anxiety reducer but treatment for major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders.

Being depressed or anxious about an acute event has very little to do with depressive and anxiety disorders. OP has no sign of a disorder.

Beside, they can take 3-6 weeks to take effects.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I... didn't need it.
On my physical ocd (8 hours crying in front of a mirror at works) and my major depression (-13kg in 4 months) with anxiety, indeed it worked.
That was a joke.
But if op is really that anxious, it can help. (yes you must talk to your md.) ;)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
I think the best managers are the ones that can deal with pressure and listen to other staff.
All the stuff u are worried about can be learnt.
Its your strength of character which is why they employed u.