DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
For the past decade, A24 has cultivated an almost cultlike devotion from its fans, thanks to its excellent taste in projects and idiosyncratic, meme-able movies like "The Witch," "Uncut Gems" and "Midsommar." Their films inspire such interest that their features usually come with a curated, highly sought-after merchandise drop that fans can purchase via their official website.
But a new strategy — which includes chasing the rights to the "Halloween" franchise — could land them in a place that, for all their big swings, they've never been before: the mainstream.

According to a top agent with knowledge of the company, over the summer A24 acquisition executive Noah Sacco made the talent agency rounds in search of "action and big IP projects." The studio, the agent told TheWrap, is "deemphasizing the traditional character/auteur driven dramas."
"Everyone in the independent film space is aware that A24 needs to pivot to more commercial films alongside its arthouse slate," a distribution executive told TheWrap. "With a $2.5 billion valuation, it's pretty obvious that they need to expand into more commercial films."
An individual close to A24 said that the studio is not leaning away from auteur driven dramas but rather is "doing more," which includes looking at wide releases and "widening the aperture." The source added that A24 "is always trying to find new ways to reinvent themselves from the documentary space," such as Steph Curry's documentary on AppleTV+, adaptations like Paris Hilton's new scripted TV series, taking on IP like "Crystal Lake" with Peacock or ambitious new action epics like Alex Garland's upcoming "Civil War."
The strategy shift is important because an "A24 movie" carries brand recognition, with the added cache of being a tastemaker for auteur directors and provocative storylines. They cultivate relationships with up-and-coming filmmakers and, last year, had their second Best Picture Oscar winner (after "Moonlight") with the Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert-directed "Everything Everywhere All at Once."
Why the pivot to action and IP? According to one production executive, A24 "took a beating on dramas, especially the ones they made," losing tens of millions of dollars in the last few years with 2019's "Waves," 2021's "The Green Knight" and most recently, "Beau Is Afraid," which lost $35 million, the top agent said. The production exec added that A24 would still acquire dramas, but would move away from making as many of them.

"The auteur business is a lousy, high-risk business that does not attract potential buyers," the top agent said. "That's a big problem if you're looking to sell or seek additional investment."
www.yahoo.com

A24 Expands Strategy From Arthouse Gems to More Commercial Films | Exclusive

"With a $2.5 billion valuation, it's pretty obvious that they need to expand into more commercial films," a distribution exec said The post A24 Expands Strategy From Arthouse Gems to More Commercial Films | Exclusive appeared first on TheWrap.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
It's watering down the brand, but also might be necessary to ensure survival, so what can you do?

Lionel Mandrake

Oct 26, 2017
The best case scenario is A24 becomes a rival to the major studios. And then we get an A24 World theme park.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be cautiously optimistic about this. I think you can make a commercially successful film while still having it have that A24..."artsy charm" for lack of a better term.

Jan 18, 2018
Aren't there a lot of commercial films era likes tho? It ain't automatic bad.

The best case scenario is A24 becomes a rival to the major studios. And then we get an A24 World theme park.

Can't wait for the moonlight ride. A 30 second merry go round experience where various amusement park workers call you slurs while you spin around, you get off and you have to throw a chair while dizzy at a target on the wall and if you hit it, you get a grill.

Capricorn

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm eternally grateful for them funding amazing films like Beau is Afraid and The Green Knight, even if they bombed hard. I totally get that they probably need a more stable revenue source to offset the risk of the really out there auteur stuff, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure this may be the beginning of the end for those kinds of films regardless of what they may say right now 😔

In the end, the pursuit of profitability and growth will always win, and with it comes risk aversion. I hope it takes a few years to happen, at least, but as a huge A24 fan this is terrible news.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I'd rather A24 than Netflix, Disney, Warner, etc.

Besides, another studio will eventually fill its place.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I'm surprised they brought up Crystal Lake with the Bryan Fuller lawsuit happening

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this is a bad thing for A24. They're still going to pick good projects to back.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Best case scenario is this ends up like Criterion Collection's tendency to release a few mainstream movies every year. Helps pay for the others.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
They need something to fund the more interesting stuff, full-stop. We also need more interesting action and IP films, full stop. So while this could be bad I'll take it over the alternative which was them shopping around selling their entire brand off to Apple or other interested buyers a few years ago. A new player entering the major studio space is only a good thing after so many players have been bought out and turned into nothing.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
People should watch The Green Knight, underrated movie. Really got under my skin in a good way.

I dont think this is necessarily bad, although its also not that hard to imagine an A24 10-15 years down the line that has stumbled upon a mainstream cash cow so lucrative that it slowly starts putting all its chips into that. If you make something beautiful and original and it becomes a popular enough phenomenon, capital will inevitably come a-knockin to bleed it dry

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, there's no reason they couldn't do something like Barbie or Oppenheimer, so... we'll see

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
"It's bad luck to kill a seabird..."

*Willem Defoe unloads his m60 into the sky, yelling aaaaah! and striking hostile birds by the dozens*

"This is my lighthouse! YOU CAN'T TAKE THE LIGHT FROM MEEEEEEEE"

If this ensures we continue to get A24 going further into the future, I'm in.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
"The auteur business is a lousy, high-risk business that does not attract potential buyers,"

A24 is learning the same lessons the big studios did years ago. Time is a flat circle.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
"The auteur business is a lousy, high-risk business that does not attract potential buyers."

agony. (although tbh I've lightly soured on A24, needs fresh blood, need a new scene)

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
nope-dont-like-that.gif

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
This feels like it was inevitable. I pray they still can put out some good stuff every once in a while and that others can help fill the void.

Oh and hopefully this leads to those weirdos who are obsessed with A24 to watch more art house stuff outside of it. It's really sad how many cinephile types have their tastes tied to a brand, even if that brand often puts out interesting work.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
As long they continue producing 5, 10, and 20 million dollar budgeted films, go take some swings at more commercial productions. But if those commercial films bomb, you better not take it out on the art house films.

Lionel Mandrake

Oct 26, 2017
After the credits for The Iron Claw:

The Von Erich Brothers enter their dressing room, surprised to see a woman sitting on the couch.

Kevin: Hey! What is this? Who are you?!

Thomasin: You boys have made a lot of headlines. But you have no idea about the universe you just entered. So, I've come to ask you a question...

Kevin: What's that?

Thomasin: [Smirking] Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

The Von Erich Brothers will return

May 10, 2018
It's a business so the reasoning is there, as long as they keep it balanced I'm ok with it.

A24 is at the point where I see almost everything they put out and I don't want that to go away.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I trust them and it's not like they haven't made bad movies before.

Do what ya'll gotta do to get that bag

Lionel Mandrake

Oct 26, 2017
This honestly probably just means the return of crowd pleasing mid-budget PG-13 movies. Which wouldn't be a terrible thing. Do comedies even go to theaters anymore?