tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
5b9bac42ae78492d90631643.jpg

Personally I have no interest in the game, but its name and logo really interest me.

New • Super • Mario Bros. • U • Deluxe

• The "Super Mario Bros." logo was plucked straight out of its original NES/Famicom release, which itself was based upon its 1983 arcade game's name and logo.
• The "New" label marked the reboot of the SMB 2d platforming series on Nintendo DS.
• Being a port, the "U" comes from the game's original release on Wii U.
• The "Deluxe" part of the logo is wrapped by two Switch Joy-Con controllers.

It's just so complex in written form, but in logo form it evokes memories spanning 4 (arguably 5, since Mario Bros. arcade pre-dates NES/Famicom) different console generations.

320px-Super_Street_Fighter_II_Turbo_HD_Remix_Logo.svg.png

Capcom is notorious for needlessly complex compound names along with their conflicting design elements. For example, SuperStreet FighterIITurbo • HD Remix (5 different sources spanning 4 generations).

DKCR3D-Logo.jpg

Donkey KongCountryReturns • 3D comes to mind as another Nintendo compound, also spanning 4 generations.

It is almost as if these names are created solely for the purpose of attracting as broad an audience as possible: your dad's memories of playing the arcade version over 35 years ago, your older brother's of paying the SNES version 25 years ago, your own of playing the Wii version almost 10 years ago, and it's all topped off with a howdoyoudofellowkids.gif "3D!" icon which will surely appeal to the youth of today.

Are there any others that span 5 generations? Is there one that spans 6?
Who can name the most overly complex multi-generation compound video game name?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
1282004953308902980.png

"夏色ハイスクール★青春白書 ~転校初日のオレが幼馴染と再会したら報道部員にされていて激写少年の日々スクープ大連発でイガイとモテモテなのに何故かマイメモリーがパンツ写真ばっかりという電実と向き合いながら考えるひと夏の島の学園生活と赤裸々な恋の行方。~"

Translation: Summer-Colored High School ★ Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going.

Source: https://kotaku.com/this-might-be-the-longest-video-game-title-ever-1708939139

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
1282004953308902980.png

"夏色ハイスクール★青春白書 ~転校初日のオレが幼馴染と再会したら報道部員にされていて激写少年の日々スクープ大連発でイガイとモテモテなのに何故かマイメモリーがパンツ写真ばっかりという電実と向き合いながら考えるひと夏の島の学園生活と赤裸々な恋の行方。~"

Translation: Summer-Colored High School ★ Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going.

Source: https://kotaku.com/this-might-be-the-longest-video-game-title-ever-1708939139
OwO

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
1282004953308902980.png

That title is like a recap of the first two volumes of the manga. I can start at Vol. 3 after reading that title.

OP
OP
tadaima

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa
Heh, I totally forgot about those "The Game: The Movie: The Game" type titles while making the thread.

Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α is clearly evidence that Capcom is aware of and talking to somebody about its problem.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Peter Jackson's - King Kong - The official game of the movie - (Signature edition)

3BqZjh6.jpg

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
5698800_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

kingdom-heart-2.8-ps4_1.jpg

The Kingdom Hearts compilation games are up there, with "Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix", alongside "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue". Yikes.

At least they learned, with the latest compilation being simply called "Kingdom Hearts The Story So Far".

6307148_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

We all await what The Story So Far + KH3 collection gets called.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
5698800_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

kingdom-heart-2.8-ps4_1.jpg

The Kingdom Hearts compilation games are up there, with "Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix", alongside "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue". Yikes.

At least they learned, with the latest compilation being simply called "Kingdom Hearts The Story So Far".

6307148_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

We all await what The Story So Far + KH3 collection gets called.

Kingdom Hearts: The Whole Bloody Affair

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
1282004953308902980.png

Like this. It's literally this.

There's nothing that come close.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
BIT.TRIP Presents...Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

That is the actual complete name of the game, exactly with that capitalization, spacing, and punctuation.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
1282004953308902980.png

Yep! That's the one.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Steam name for RE7
RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident Evil

:D

49204B749246F81F43B26AE7A1B3A9F00B3CB949

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Love the game but

sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed.jpeg

Thanks for that, SEGA. Now we just need a remaster with something like "Super Deluxe" added to the title.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Still my favorite, just freaking amazing

SSF2XMatchingService_title.png

I love this shit, this is beautiful. What exactly was this? What does "for matching service mean?" Grand Master Challenge?!

Some of the old D&D SSI games technically had pretty long titles because they had to pout the AD&D title first, then Eye of the Beholder, THEN the subtitle of the game itself.

ebb0168dbe0fb415b667a0773c70f347-650-80.jpg

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Square/Nomura thread lolol

Final Fantasy Disney Dewey Decimal always makes me laugh

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I love this shit, this is beautiful. What exactly was this? What does "for matching service mean?" Grand Master Challenge?
"Grand Master Challenge" was Super Turbo's Japanese subtitle. "For matching service" was the Japanese Dreamcast port where you could subscribe to an online play service that a bunch of games in Japan used at the time.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

ffta2gotr_logo.jpg

It's not a particularly awful name, but it's just an interesting composition:

Final Fantasy - Tactics - A - 2 - Grimoire of the Rift

The A is interesting because there's not an A1. There's an "Advance" which the A is in reference to, but they shorten it to A. If this game was ever remastered it could become Final Fantasy Tactics A2 HD Grimoire of the Rift

Last edited:

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
This isn't the longest title,

Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online

but it's a reminder that Nintendo is still happy with excessive titles, even with "newer products"...

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Tales of game's Studios presents Chef Boyardee's The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Fixed that for you.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
header.jpg

Xtreme Legends
DYNASTY WARRIORS 8
Complete Edition

Not quite at the level of some in this thread, but not a bad cotnender.

Oct 29, 2017
Probably not the overall winner, but this one always makes me laugh...

Le2Ei5r.jpg

Ahem... MARIO AND SONIC AT THE LONDON TWENTY TWELVE OLYMPIC GAMES VIRTUAL CARD ALBUM!!!!